more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff - 25/09/22...

Started by WhiteJC, September 25, 2022, 08:52:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Mitrovic leads the way: Fulham's Power Rankings in the 2022/23 season so far

Fulham have been one of the Premier League's surprise packages so far this season.

Indeed, the Whites were largely tipped for a relegation battle before the start of the season, but they currently sit in sixth place after seven games, and, to be honest, they could be much higher.

If Aleksandar Mitrovic had netted his penalty against Wolves and Fulham had a bit more luck against Liverpool on the opening day, they could easily have been in the top four, and based on their performances so far, they'd be good value for it.

But who have been Fulham's top performers this season? We're going to have a go at creating a Power Ranking of the Cottagers' eight best players so far this term.

1. Aleksandar Mitrovic
It's predictable, but it's right.

Aleksandar Mitrovic is silencing every single doubter he's ever had this season. He's the second-highest goalscorer in the Premier League so far, while his game has evolved to be about so much more than goalscoring.

He was playing full-back sometimes against Brighton as his defensive workrate shined through, while he's as good a creator as any number 10, often dropping deep and playing searching through-balls for advancing wingers.

Mitrovic is not only the best player in this Fulham team so far, he's been one of the best players in the Premier League this season.

2. Joao Palhinha
Eyebrows were raised when Fulham managed to nab Joao Palhinha this summer.

£18m for a Champions League player courted by the likes of Tottenham and Wolves in the past, surely something had to be wrong with Palhinha if he was joining Fulham?

Many expected Palhinha to be another Jean Michael Seri or Andre Frank Zambo Anguissa, arriving with a big reputation only to flop, but that couldn't be any further from the truth.

The toughest tackler in the league and a scorer of two very important goals, Palhinha has been a revelation at Craven Cottage so far.

3. Tim Ream
Who expected this from Tim Ream?

With all due respect to the American, he was embarrassingly bad in each of his last two Premier League campaigns, but this time around he's looked every bit a top-flight defender.

Be it at centre-back or recently at left-back, Ream is always the most composed player in the Fulham team, and if he were 10 years younger we're sure that some top clubs would be looking at him.

A true Marco Silva success story, Ream has been transformed under the Fulham manager.

4. Andreas Pereira
Another player who had his doubters heading into this season, Andreas Pereira has been electric since joining Fulham.

Yes, he's still waiting for his first goal, but his incredible workrate and delivery from corners have been vital in Fulham's success so far this term.

Playing more as a second-striker than a midfielder, Pereira has taken to life in west London like a duck to water.

5. Harrison Reed
The most reliable Fulham player of the past five years, Harrison Reed has barely put a foot wrong since joining from Southampton.

Reed has taken up something of an unconventional midfield role this season that often sees him drift out to the right wing, but his tireless running and intelligent work off the ball make him an invaluable cog in this Fulham machine – and on top of that he's finally scored his first goal.

6. Antonee Robinson
Injured for Fulham's last two games, the Milton Keynes-born US international has been electric whenever he's appeared for Fulham this term.

He's pocketed both Mo Salah and Bukayo Saka already this campaign, while his pace is vital for Fulham and their ability to alleviate pressure and get forward quickly.

His delivery could do with some work, but there's no doubting that Jedi has been vital for Fulham this term.

7. Kenny Tete
Somehow, Kenny Tete lost his place to Neco Williams in the Championship last season, but he's shown this season so far why he has a number of Netherlands caps to his name.

Tete may have three assists already this season, but it's his defensive work that has been the most impressive – often playing as a third centre-back when Robinson goes on his marauding forward runs.

8. Bobby Decordova-Reid
Bobby Decordova-Reid probably wasn't expecting to be a key player for Fulham this season with the likes of Harry Wilson, Manor Solomon, Dan James and Willian in the squad, but a spate of injuries has seen him become a regular starter in the Premier League once again.

An engine that never runs out of fuel, Decordova-Reid's intelligent runs in behind are enough to bamboozle any defender, and while he could do with some finetuning on the ball, he's once again showing why he was Fulham's top-scorer during their last Premier League campaign.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/09/24/mitrovic-leads-the-way-fulhams-power-rankings-in-the-2022-23-season-so-far/

WhiteJC

Exclusive: Chelsea prepared to pay staggering £30million for Fulham teenager after hat-trick display

Todd Boehly and Graham Potter are planning to add to their Chelsea squad and have identified Fulham's 17-year-old star Luke Harris as a man worth adding to their squad

Chelsea are ready to pay a staggering £30 million for 17-year-old Fulham starlet Luke Harris.

The Jersey born forward who is in the Wales squad for Sunday's Nations League game against Poland hasn't yet made a first team appearance for the Cottagers. But Chelsea have been on his trail since he scored a hat-trick in an Under 21s game between the two clubs earlier this year.

He is the next star off the Fulham conveyer belt of young talent which has seen Harvey Elliott and Fabio Carvalho leave for Liverpool. Spotted by Fulham's chief academy scout Malcolm Elias, Harris is regarded as the youngster with the most potential at his age.

It's why Chelsea have already been involved in advanced discussions with their West London neighbours as they look to make their move in the January transfer window.

Sunday Mirror can reveal that an amazing deal involving an initial £25 million fee with further payments taking it to £30 million is on the cards. The teenager only signed his first professional contract earlier this month which ties him to Fulham until 2025. But his time with Fulham could be short lived with Chelsea poised to strike a deal.

Upon signing that deal, he said: "I'm really pleased to extend my time here at Fulham having been here from a young age.

"I couldn't have done it without my parents who sacrificed a lot for me, driving me away on the weekends as a young kid, so they deserve a lot of credit. I'm enjoying my football and I'm very excited for what lies ahead."

Fulham boss Marco Silva added: "He will get games, he will be on the bench, he will have some minutes. We have to be patient with him, and not push pressure around him."

"Now we have to help him grow as a player. He will have his time in the First Team, because he has the quality."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/chelsea-transfers-fulham-luke-harris-28071759

WhiteJC

Chelsea 'are prepared to offer £30MILLION for Fulham teenager Luke Harris' after the 17-year-old midfielder grabbed a hat-trick against the Blues at youth level - as Todd Boehly plots a January swoop on west London rivals

Chelsea 'are in talks with Fulham over a potential £30m swoop for Luke Harris'
    The 17-year-old midfielder is tipped to be a future superstar at Craven Cottage
    Harris scored a hat-trick against the Blues at youth level earlier this campaign
    The clubs are reportedly discussing a deal worth an initial £25m with add-ons

Chelsea are plotting a swoop for Fulham teenager Luke Harris in January and are prepared to offer a blockbuster deal worth up to £30million, according to reports.

The 17-year-old starlet, who is in the Wales squad ahead of their Nations League clash with Poland on Saturday, has riveted Todd Boehly's gaze after scoring a hat-trick against Chelsea at youth level earlier this season.

Poised to follow in the footsteps of former Fulham youngsters Fabio Carvalho and Harvey Elliott, who have since moved on to impress Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool, Harris is regarded as a future superstar at Craven Cottage.

The Fulham teenager netted a hat-trick against Chelsea at youth level earlier this campaign

Chelsea have already staged advanced talks with their west London neighbours in a bid to lure Harris to Stamford Bridge in January, according to the Mirror.

The newspaper has claimed that a deal worth an initial £25m is on the table, with further payments rising to £30m.

Harris signed his first professional contract with Fulham earlier this month and is therefore under contract until 2025.

Upon signing the deal, the youngster said: 'I'm really pleased to extend my time here at Fulham having been here from a young age.

'I couldn't have done it without my parents who sacrificed a lot for me, driving me away on the weekends as a young kid, so they deserve a lot of credit.

I'm enjoying my football and I'm very excited for what lies ahead.'

The 17-year-old midfielder signed his first professional contract at Fulham earlier this month

Despite splashing out on new star arrivals Kalidou Koulibaly, Raheem Sterling, Marc Cucurella, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Wesley Fofana, American owner Boehy is keen to offer new manager Graham Potter the best chance of success in January.

Potter has yet to take charge of Chelsea in the Premier League due to postponements related to the death of Queen Elizabeth II.

In the Champions League, he led the Blues to a 1-1 draw against Red Bull Salzburg during his first official match in charge on Wednesday September 14.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11245887/Chelsea-prepared-offer-30MILLION-Fulham-teenager-Luke-Harris.html

WhiteJC

Chelsea ready to pay £30m for Fulham's teenage wonderkid Luke Harris

Chelsea are ready to pay £30m for Fulham's teenage wonderkid Luke Harris, according to reports.

The 17-year-old forward was called up to Wales' first team for the first time this month for Nations League fixtures against Belgium and Poland.

Harris, who captained Wales U17s and has also previously been called up to the U21s side, was an unused substitute as Belgium beat Wales 2-1 on Thursday.

Rob Page's side are back in action against Poland on Sunday as Jersey-born Harris – who scored a hat-trick for Fulham U21s against Chelsea U21s earlier this year – looks to earn his first full Wales cap.

According to The Mirror, the Blues have been in 'advanced discussions' with Fulham over signing Harris in January with a deal worth £25m plus an additional £5m in add-ons 'on the cards'.

Harris made his first senior appearance for Fulham against Crawley Town in the Carabao Cup last month and the club are well aware of his potential, with the teenager recently signing a new contract until 2025.

'I'm really pleased to extend my time here at Fulham having been here from a young age,' Harris said after signing the deal.

'I couldn't have done it without my parents who sacrificed a lot for me, driving me away on the weekends as a young kid, so they deserve a lot of credit.

'I'm enjoying my football and I'm very excited for what lies ahead.'

Fulham head coach Marco Silva, who led his side to promotion last term and a strong start to the 2022-23 season – with the west London club sixth in the table after their opening seven games – also shared his views on the highly rated Harris.

'He will get games, he will be on the bench, he will have some minutes,' he added. 'We have to be patient with him, and not push pressure around him.

'Now we have to help him grow as a player. He will have his time in the first team, because he has the quality.'

https://metro.co.uk/2022/09/24/luke-harris-chelsea-ready-to-pay-30m-for-fulhams-teenage-wonderkid-17443223/?ito=newsnow-feed

WhiteJC

BBC's Adam Pope: Dan James 'fiasco' marred Leeds United window, he didn't want to go

Dan James didn't want to leave Leeds United and the "fiasco" which saw him go while the club failed to bring in a striker "marred" the transfer window, according to Adam Pope.

The Welsh winger left for Fulham on loan late on deadline day, originally with Bamba Dieng coming in from Marseille as replacement, but as that deal collapsed and pursuits for Cody Gakpo and Ben Brereton Diaz failed James was still allowed to leave in what the BBC reporter says was a "mistake".

He didn't like the way the end of the window went, both in terms of the Whites leaving themselves short in attack, and with how the 24-year-old appeared to be pushed out when he was settling down in the area.

Speaking to Ger Lynch on the Leeds United – The View YouTube channel on Friday 23 September [3min 10sec] Pope said on the subject of being left short: "I think up front there's no doubt about it Ger, and I think the Dan James... a bit of a fiasco has added to that as well.

"You've got a player who's been experienced in playing up front, even though we know it's not his favourite position or his best position, but to allow that to happen was a mistake.

"And I think the club have rowed back on the original stuff they were saying about 'one in, one out', saying now it's the best thing for him and the club that he went. I do think that is a mistake and it's left them light.

"Every time I look at [the window] I go, 'Striker, please'. It had to be there that they produced something and they didn't, and that marred the window for me."

He added later about James [8min 30sec]: "I don't think he wanted to go from what I'm hearing from people close to him. He'd bought a new house, with the baby, he was settling down... a really strange, strange decision."

Mess

The Elland Road hierarchy will want to move on from the events at the end of the summer as much as possible because it didn't show them in a great light.

The mixed messages sent out afterwards as to why James needed to go suggested they knew a mistake had been made and they couldn't decide the best way to respond.

Willy Gnonto, fresh from an encouraging cameo against England on Friday night (23 September), may turn out to be a decent option in attack before the end of the year, as might Sonny Perkins if he carries on the way he is going, but in either case it would be by accident rather than design.

And it is hard to escape the feeling that James ended up as collateral damage as the club lurched from one move to another.

It can't be denied that he hasn't been as effective as would have been hoped considering the money it cost to bring him in from Manchester United a year ago.

But it isn't his fault that his teammates up front have been injured so often just as it isn't his fault that Marcelo Bielsa and Jesse Marsch both pressed him into action out of position as a result.

One thing that can't be levelled against him is a lack of effort, as the results may be erratic but the energy is always there.

So it is little surprise that Pope feels disappointed with how things played out for the Welsh international on a personal level.

https://motleedsnews.com/news/bbcs-adam-pope-dan-james-fiasco-marred-leeds-united-window-he-didnt-want-to-go/

WhiteJC

Harris not for sale
It must be a slow news day on the Sunday Mirror football desk, what with international week increasing the demand for stories. John Richardson has put his name to a piece – already available online – claiming that Chelsea are close to a £30m swoop for Fulham's teenage midfielder Luke Harris.

There are just a couple of problems with this idea. The first is that Richardson's insight is undermined by the fact that the story claims that Harris has not made a first-team appearance for the Whites. Anyone who was at Crawley Town for Fulham's ignominious League Cup exit last month probably won't forget it – and not because the seventeen year-old starlet, stuck out on the left wing and starved of service, was mesmerising. You'd think they'd check this stuff before sending it to print.

The second – rather more important – issue is the fact that Harris signed a professional deal with Fulham only a fortnight ago. He's under contract at Craven Cottage for three years and rebuffed the advances of a number of English and European clubs, including Chelsea, to commit his future to Fulham, who brought him from Jersey after Harris was spotted by Malcolm Elias in a youth tournament on the island. The Blues are known to admire Harris – currently away with the Welsh senior side after getting a first call-up from Rob Page – particularly after his brilliant hat-trick blew them away in August's SW6 derby, but they will join a long queue of suitors.

Harris is believed to be very happy at Fulham and relishing the opportunity to train every day with the first team under the watchful eye of Marco Silva, who has included him in several Premier League match day squads this season. It is just a matter of time before the talented teenager, who has scored an incredible 32 goals in 53 academy appearances since first playing for the under 18s at the age of 15, makes his first league appearance for the Whites. Silva and the Fulham hierarchy are determined to provide a proper pathway for the club's category one academy talent and that doesn't mean accepting audacious bids from their sanctioned local rivals.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/09/harris-not-for-sale/

WhiteJC

OLIVER HOLT: Back at Exeter 12 years after the death of his father, football has turned into a game of emotion for Jay Stansfield and his family... with the teenager wearing the number nine that his dad who has a stand named after him previously wore

Jay Stansfield's father Adam tragically died of bowel cancer at the age of 31
    He was in the midst of his fourth season with Exeter when he was diagnosed
    Exeter renamed a stand at St James Park in honour of the late striker
    His son Jay returned to his boyhood club on loan from Fulham in the summer
    He was given the No 9 shirt, the first to do so since the death of his father

Jay Stansfield sits at a trestle table on a little patch of grass at a motorway service station and blinks back the sharp autumn sunshine.

He glances now and again at an old couple, fussing over their dog in the car park as they pour water into its tin bowl, and talks softly over the steady hum of vehicles rushing north and south through Devon along the M5.

Stansfield is 19. He is polite and thoughtful and reflective beyond his years. At Fulham, for whom he made his Premier League debut against Wolves at Molineux last month, they speak highly of his attitude and his character and his hunger to learn. There is something else about him, too. Sometimes, he wears the air of a young man who is carrying a burden.

Jay Stansfield has taken the number nine shirt that his father once wore for Exeter

Now and again, he acknowledges that himself. He is trying to fix something that was torn apart when he was a kid. 'It changed me massively,' he says. 'Once it happened, I was broken and my whole family was broken. The aim in my head from then on was to make them proud and give them the life that they deserve. To mend it.'

Twelve years ago, Jay's father, Adam, Exeter City's centre forward and every supporter's favourite player, died of bowel cancer at the age of 31. The fans loved him because he never gave up on anything. Even in the later stages of his illness, when he was weak after chemotherapy, he turned up for the first day of pre-season training and ran with team-mates.

In the days after his death, Exeter's grieving fans turned their St James Park ground into a shrine to the player they called Stanno. The Big Bank, the home terrace behind one of the goals, was festooned with scarves and bouquets of flowers and cards. It was a sea of mourning. Jay, the oldest of Adam's three sons, was seven when his father died.

It was impossible not to be moved by the outpouring of love for Jay's dad. When I went to the stadium to see the tributes back then in 2010, I made a note of some of the messages.

Adam Stansfield spent four seasons with Exeter before sadly dying of cancer in 2010

A 10-year-old boy called Josh had written: 'Adam, you were such a great player for all your teams. You were my favourite player and you always will be. You will never be forgotten. My favourite goals were the 2 you scored against Southend United.'

Another message had been taped to one of the stanchions. 'Adam,' a lad called Thomas had written alongside a picture he had had taken with the striker, 'you were my favourite Red Army player. Thank you for sending me a birthday card each year. I shall remember the good times I spent with you when I was mascot. I will miss you so much.'

Even now, the supporters still sing about Stanno. One of the stands at St James Park has been named after him and the chant that honours him rings out at home games. 'Sing a song for our Stanno,' it goes, 'and we will never let you go, cos you'll always be, at City with me.'

The League One club retired Adam's No9 shirt after he died. No one had worn it since. Until earlier this month. Then Exeter decided they would make an exception for a new signing. Jay had spoken with Marco Silva, the Fulham boss, and both had concluded he should go out on loan for the rest of the season. He went to Exeter. The transfer announcement video went viral and attracted more than three million views. The club had a No9 with Stansfield on the back again.

Stansfield poses with members of his family after securing his loan move in the summer

Jay understood the emotions that would be unleashed. His mum, Marie, and his brothers still live nearby in Tiverton, where he grew up. He had played for Exeter's age-group teams from when he was six until Fulham offered him a scholarship, followed by a two-year professional deal, when he was 16.

The Exeter manager, Matt Taylor, played in the same team as Jay's dad for three years. Jay knew he would be wanted. He knew what his dad meant to the fans. And so he came back. When he got out of his car before his Exeter debut at home to MK Dons this month, the first thing he heard was a group of fans chanting his dad's song. 'Sing a song for Stanno,' Jay repeats. 'It made me feel emotional hearing it.'

When he was brought off the bench in the second half, there was a huge roar. 'When I ran on the pitch, they were singing 'there's only one Adam Stansfield.' he says.

'I was so young when he died and I wish I had more memories and I wish I'd been able to see him play more but the first thing I remember about our house was a football. I remember going to the game on a Saturday and watching him play. I remember a couple of holidays we had in France and the beach and a beach ball and a football. There was always a ball involved.

The forward admits that is has been an emotional experience playing for his dad's former team

'I wish he was around now for all sorts of reasons. I wish he was there for advice because he knew what it was like to be in my position. When I moved to Fulham, it hit me more then, realising what I could have had. When I'm playing with people who are older, it brings back memories. It makes me upset when I think about him not being here.

'Sometimes, I'm sat in the car and maybe I've had a bad session or a bad game and I need someone to call, someone who knows the game, someone I can ask what I can do better and what I can do next. And I wish he was there. Sometimes, footage of him playing pops up on Facebook, then I'll sit and reflect on what actually happened.'

Jay's mum comes to every game. 'For me to go out and wear the Exeter No9 shirt and for her to watch it...' he says, his voice trailing off. 'When I made my Premier League debut, for her to be there was important because these are things she's worked hard for, too. There was no one else around to do what she's done.'

He is keen to help Exeter climb up League One and hoping to return to the Premier League next season. In the meantime, he is building a special collection at the home he still has in Fulham.

'I've got all of dad's shirts hanging in frames on the wall in my apartment,' he says. 'I'm getting mine done now and I'm going to put them next to each other. His shirts, my shirts, the things he achieved, the things I'm achieving.'

There is something beautiful about that image of those shirts hanging side by side. Sing a song for our Stanno. We'll never let you go.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11246281/OLIVER-HOLT-Football-turned-game-emotion-Jay-Stansfield-family.html

WhiteJC

Serbia 4-1 Sweden

Mitrovic's hat-trick took him to 49 goals in 75 games for Serbia

Aleksandar Mitrovic scored a hat-trick as Serbia thrashed Sweden 4-1 in Belgrade in the Nations League.

Fulham striker Mitrovic, 28, scored Serbia's first three goals before Sasa Lukic added a fourth midway through the second half.

Serbia moved level on points with Norway at the top of Group B4, but are below them on head-to-head record.

The two sides meet on Tuesday in a fixture that will decide which team gains promotion to the A league.

Mitrovic has now scored 49 goals in 75 appearances for his national side, taking his season tally to nine in eight games in all competitions.

Viktor Claesson had given Sweden the lead after 15 minutes but it was short-lived as Mitrovic grabbed his first of the night three minutes later.

A header on the stroke of half-time put the home side in control and when the striker scored his third three minutes after the break the result was all but secured, with Torino midfielder Lukic scoring a fourth for good measure.

Serbia need to beat Norway to gain promotion, while a draw or a win for Erling Haaland's team will see them progress after the Norwegians won the first encounter between the two sides.

Sweden dropped to the bottom of the group after Slovenia had earlier beaten Norway and will be relegated if they do not win their final game against the Slovenes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63023757

WhiteJC

The Sean Davis Column

If someone offered me, before a ball had been kicked, sixth place at this stage of the season I would have bitten their hand off. We're looking very, very organised, there's a lot of character in there, the new signings have gelled quickly. It's probably the best start we could have hoped for, and long may it continue.

The international break might have come at a bad time for us, but getting a win away at Forest in our final game prior was crucial. We know we're always capable of scoring goals, but to get three in six minutes was fantastic, especially in what might be considered a six-pointer in some regards.

We were the better team in the first half but found ourselves behind. What pleased me, though, was the reaction. The boys didn't panic, they kept doing their thing, and they were duly rewarded. They clearly have full confidence in the Manager's tactics, his message is clear, everyone knows their jobs, and it all paid off. They needed to show character when things weren't going well, and they certainly did that.

The home fans are crucial at the City Ground. When that stadium is packed and buzzing, it's a tough place to go, so to come from behind and take three away points in the Premier League is massive. Us scoring the three goals as quickly as we did will have absolutely knocked their fans for six, and their players as well. When you're desperate for the points like they are, you go ahead, and then let it slip, that's a real punch to the gut.

I was just as impressed with how we managed the game after they brought it back to 3-2. It was just brilliant. The Fulham fans are really, really intelligent, I feel. They don't get carried away, the main thing they want is hard graft, giving 100 per cent for the shirt, and that's what our players are doing, so our fans will be buzzing.

Having played a similar role in my day, I was delighted to see Harrison Reed get his first goal for the Club. I thought he was one of our best players last time we were in the Premier League and he was ever present when fit last season. He does all the horrible things really well – wins the second balls, gives it quick, doesn't dally on the ball. Probably scoring goals was the one thing Harrison wanted to add to his game. Any midfielder knows that if you can do that then it moves you onto another level. He's playing in the Premier League and scoring now, so hopefully he can continue that. But Harrison will have set those standards for himself. He gets himself in good positions because he's got that energy and enthusiasm to get into the box, so I'm sure there's plenty more Harrison Reed goals to come.

Nobody at the Club will be getting carried away after seven matches, but it's certainly going to breed confidence. It shows that we're doing the right things and if all the players continue performing at this level, then we will keep getting results. When you're a newly promoted team, you can't afford to carry anyone, and I don't think we are. Everyone is putting in a shift, everyone is working hard, we haven't really got any luxury players. Our start gives our players confidence and our fans optimism, but I would still be happy finishing one or two places above the relegation zone. But keep doing what you're doing, boys, and then who knows!

We've got Newcastle at home first up after the international break, and it's usually a good game against them. I remember Louis Saha scoring a worldie in this fixture, with his blond hair, curling one into the top corner at the Putney End. We always had good games against Newcastle, and this one is winnable, too. Don't get me wrong, it will be difficult, they've got players who can hurt you. I've been impressed by the job Eddie Howe's done there. They've had a few results not go their way so they'll want to get a second win on the board, but we're at the Cottage and we've looked so strong at home so far.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2022/september/23/the-sean-davis-column/

WhiteJC

Mitrovic hat-trick steers Serbia past Sweden
Aleksandar Mitrovic scored a hat-trick last night that inspired Serbia to a come-from-behind victory over Sweden in Belgrade and set up a Nations' League showdown with Norway on Tuesday night.

The Fulham forward, who has now found the net 49 times for his country, continued his sensational form this season after Viktor Claesen had stunned the Rajko Miti? Stadium. Mitrovic took just three minutes to level matters with a looping far post header – making amends for a dreadful miss earlier – and put the Serbs in front with another bullet header from a corner on the stroke of half time. The talismanic striker completed his hat-trick three minutes after the interval, evading the attentions of Daniel Sundgren, and firing  Dusan Vlahovic's pass past Robin Olsen, who had been brilliant in the first half.

Any concern about Mitrovic being taken off later in the second half was eased by the man himself in his post-match interview, when he told Arenasport that he was substituted as a precaution:

"I took a knock, it's a bruised knee and I will go to the physios now to assess the damage but I should be fit for the Norway game."

Torino midfielder Sasa Lukic added a fourth to make the final score even more emphatic and leave Sweden, currently bottom of the group, in danger of demotion if they don't beat Slovenia on Tuesday.

Dragan Stojkovic's side now face the Norwegians, who were beaten 2-1 by Slovenia last night, in Oslo on Tuesday night to decide who wins Group B4 and earns promotion. Both teams have ten points but Norway are top of the group on their head-to-head record following a 1-0 win in Belgrade secured by the outstanding Erling Haaland.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/09/mitrovic-hat-trick-steers-serbia-past-sweden/

WhiteJC

Report: Chelsea planning Luke Harris move; ready to pay £30m in January

Chelsea are planning to make a move for Fulham starlet Luke Harris during the January transfer window, and have already held talks about paying £30 million for the 17-year-old, according to a report from the Sunday Mirror (25/9; page 79).

The Blues have put plenty of effort into signing some of the best young players around since Todd Boehly arrived. They brought in Omari Hutchinson from Arsenal and Cesare Casadei from Inter Milan.

Perhaps the most notable arrival on that front came when they signed Carney Chukwuemeka from Aston Villa. That deal seemed to take many by surprise amid speculation over the midfielder's future.

But it seems that they may be about to pay even more for Harris in January.

According to the Sunday Mirror (25/9; page 79), Chelsea have already held advanced talks about a move for the teenager in the winter window.

And they are ready to pay £30 million to bring him to Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea planning Luke Harris move
Harris has only made one appearance for the first-team at Craven Cottage, getting 45 minutes in their Carabao Cup loss to Crawley Town.

But he has made a major impression in their younger ranks. He has four goals in three Premier League 2 games so far this season. And three of those actually came against Chelsea.

In total, he has 17 goals in 21 games for the under-21s from attacking midfield. And he now finds himself in the Wales senior squad for the current international break.

He signed a professional contract with Fulham earlier this month, and was lauded for his 'outstanding' capabilities.

Fulham, unfortunately, are no stranger to seeing their best young talents attract attention. And it seems that Chelsea are now determined to get Harris through the door.

https://tbrfootball.com/report-chelsea-planning-luke-harris-move-ready-to-pay-30m-in-january/

WhiteJC

Loan Round-Up: Debut Goal For Larkeche

Ziyad Larkeche marked his Barnsley debut with a sensational goal in the Papa John's Trophy on Tuesday night.

He'd already created the opener – when his shot deflected into the path of Jack Butterfill who applied the finish – by the time his side had a free-kick in a wide right position 25 yards out.

Larkeche stepped up and planted a brilliant set-piece across the goalkeeper and into the far top corner to secure an impressive 2-0 win against Newcastle United U21s.

At the weekend, results weren't quite as positive on the whole for Fulham's loan contingent, with only Kieron Bowie and Luca Ashby-Hammond securing victories.

Bowie's Northampton Town won 3-0 to move into the automatic promotion spots in League Two, while Ashby-Hammond was in goal as Aldershot Town's 5-1 thrashing saw them leapfrog opponents Halifax Town in the National League.

Elsewhere on home soil, Rodrigo Muniz was unable to add to his two Middlesbrough goals in their 0-0 draw with Rotherham United, Jay Stansfield was given a first start in Exeter City's 2-0 defeat by Burton Albion, and Taye Ashby-Hammond's Stevenage were beaten 3-0 by Bradford City.

There had already been nine goals scored by the time Sylvester Jasper came off the bench in the 77th minute for Bristol Rovers, and that was how it stayed as the Gas slipped to a 6-3 home defeat at the hands of Lincoln City.

Jean-Pierre Tiehi featured for just under an hour of Hamilton Academical's 2-0 loss against Queen's Park, Tyrese Francois got 75 minutes under his belt as HNK Gorica were edged out 1-0 by Osijek, while there was a late Alanyaspor debut for Ivan Cavaleiro, but the damage was already done as they went down 5-0 at Fenerbahçe.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2022/september/21/loan-round-up/

WhiteJC

Inside The Fulham FC Foundation

To celebrate the Fulham FC Foundation's 20th anniversary, programme leader Hussein Mohammed, and sessional coaches Dylan Payne and Keira Barker, share their experiences.

Why did you decide to work for Fulham FC Foundation?

Hus: I grew up going to the Kicks programme every week. I met most of my friends through Kicks, so I know how big an effect and impact it can have on a young person's life. The Foundation really helped me growing up, so coming to work for them was an easy choice. When I was around 19/20, I'd just stopped playing football, and the person who used to train me was working with Fulham and asked if I wanted to get involved. I didn't think I'd be here for as long as I have been, but I've just really enjoyed working on the programme.

Dylan: I was involved in the Kicks programmes when I was younger, me and my friends would go every week. For me, it was easy to come back and give back a bit to all the coaches that helped me and my friends. It was good fun, it was enjoyable, and I saw the benefits it could have to the kids who went, so I thought that was important. It was one of the coaches at a Kicks session, Paul Smithers, who got me and my friend onto the FA Level 1 course. They covered that for us, which was just an amazing opportunity to get into coaching and explore a new avenue.

Keira: I was a participant at Kicks, something I looked forward to every week, so I knew the benefit it had. Paul and Sam [Hadley] and all of my previous coaches encouraged me to get into coaching, got me onto the Level 1, and there is nowhere else I would have wanted to coach.

Can you tell us a bit about the programmes you run?

Hus: At Kicks, we get funded by the Premier League to run free football sessions. We try to focus mainly in deprived areas, providing free football sessions for young people who are in those areas. Within the programme we do a lot of other things as well. We work with under-represented groups, trying to give them as many opportunities as possible – we have the Girls Kicks programme, Refugees Kicks programme, we're starting to work with schools and kids with disabilities. The whole point is trying to give as many opportunities as we can to young people, whether that's working for us, playing more football every week, sending them to learn from grassroots teams, or any other pathway that we can provide.

Dylan: I used to do more coaching with Kicks but now I'm doing an internship with the Academy's sports science department. I still try and fit some coaching in with the Foundation as well.

Keira: I'm on Soccer Schools at the moment, which is really good. We welcome girls and boys, and it's been nice to see more girls turning up. There's been more since the Euros which is just really nice to see.

How does the Kicks programme affect our communities and its participants?

Hus: Because we have such a wide variety of young people at Kicks, it affects everyone differently. For some, it's just a weekly football session. For others, there's a lot of stuff going on at home and it's a chance for them to get away from it. Some people don't have many opportunities outside of school to play sport, so having a free football session every week is that opportunity for them. And for some people it's providing a pathway throughout their journey in life, if they don't know what they want to do. It's just about helping people, and helping communities be more inclusive.

Dylan: The only thing I'd add is about the Football & Education programme, which is kind of an extension of Kicks. I went onto the F&E programme, but a lot of that was through Hus and the other coaches at Kicks. They were pushing me to go towards it and really advertised it well. They weren't forcing me to do it! But they gave me the chance to explore it, and for me that was an amazing opportunity. If I hadn't done that, I don't think I'd be doing what I am now.

Keira: Soccer Schools is pretty similar to Kicks in that we're based in so many different areas, which gives everyone the opportunity to get involved.

How has the Foundation changed during your time here?

Hus: I've been here 15 years now, and I wouldn't say there's been big changes, more that we've improved what we do. It's always tried to be as inclusive as possible, but as the years have gone on we've learnt new things and better ways of doing these things. We're at a good place where we're continuing to try to make the Foundation as inclusive as we can, to allow as many people as possible to enjoy what we do.

What does the annual charity matchday mean to you?

Hus: For me, it's about letting people know – mainly our supporters – what the Foundation does, what we do for the community, and how they can support that work, whether that's through fundraising or whatever. That's what the charity matchday means to me. 

What is your fondest memory of your time at Fulham FC Foundation?

Keira: We did a trip to Manchester for the Premier League Kicks Cup which was good fun. We played against all the other Kicks teams, so that was really good.

Dylan: When we were Kicks participants we used to go on little tournaments. The Premier League Kicks one is up there, but we also used to go on little tournaments with our group just from our local Kicks. Those were really good fun. They'd be to places like Colchester, but it was always good football with your mates, so I always remember those.

Hus: There's too many good memories to single any one out. A lot of them are trips and tournaments, getting young people out of their comfort zone or out of their local area, so they get to experience something different. Just seeing how much they enjoy it is great.

What would you like to see from the Foundation over the next 20 years?

Hus: I just want to see it still going and growing, like it's growing now. I just want it to reach as many people as possible, and see an impact in all the communities that we're working in.

Dylan: From what I've experienced, I'd just like to see a continuation from the coaches of that selflessness and willingness to help, because they're helping others out of the kindness of their heart. I got given an opportunity to go and do my coaching badge, just because somebody felt like it would be a good opportunity to give to a young person. I think that's really important for the Foundation, because that can have a big impact on peoples' pathways.

Keira: I completely agree, just continue going the way we're going, inspiring young people to get involved, whether that's playing or coaching. Just more of the same.

donate to fulham fc foundation

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2022/september/24/inside-the-fulham-fc-foundation/