more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

View from Newcastle

Started by ChesterTheTabby, September 28, 2022, 02:40:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill2

Quote from: General on September 28, 2022, 04:15:38 PM
As well as we've been doing this season, playing without Palhinha will be quite a significant test of our ability to navigate his absence as the people who can replace him are significantly lower quality.

It's all well and good saying our form is good and their injuries are a cause for concern for them and optimism for us, but Palhinha is a key player for us and in a key position.

If they get control of the middle of the park then we may not find it as easy.

Will be a good gauge though. They've done well and not lost many games but just haven't been able to win them either.

I rate Calum Wilson too - always a capable goalscorer at this level.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
When they say Wilson is back in training they mean off the 1 metre diving board. Can't stand that cheating man since e the first time I saw him when he played for Bournemouth and they beat us 0 - 5.

Hatch007

I love the comment, "If we can restrain our once loved mad bastard ..."

Thanks for posting, Terry.

A very interesting read but surprised at the level of pessimism on their part.

If Palhinha was available I'd be very confident of a home win but curious to see how much we miss him.

bencher

Quote from: Hatch007 on September 30, 2022, 03:37:28 AM

If Palhinha was available I'd be very confident of a home win but curious to see how much we miss him.

I'd say the pessimism springs from the assumption that the Saudi money would have them challenging Man City and Liverpool for the title, and the realisation now of how far away they are from that.

Tabby

Quote from: bencher on September 30, 2022, 08:51:13 AM

I'd say the pessimism springs from the assumption that the Saudi money would have them challenging Man City and Liverpool for the title, and the realisation now of how far away they are from that.
They had an incredibly strong finish to last season and they started with a win against Forest and a great performance against City for the 3-3. But they have had one win, 5 draws and a loss so far which isn't exactly great form. Their last game was a 1-1 draw against Bournemouth at home.

Count Flapula

I also found their levels of pessimism surprising, especially given they've only lost one and been unlucky in some games; plus have generally been doing well under Eddie Howe since he joined. So long as they avoide relegation (NO WAY they go down) it's inevitable they will conintue to build and improve.

It even took Man City 4 to 5 years to start challenging; I think the Saudis have been in for less than a year so far!

They are in an infinitely better place to under Ashley and their potential is huge. Just think a bit of perspective has vanished and given way to unneccessary concern.

bencher

Quote from: Count Flapula on September 30, 2022, 09:18:55 AM

I also found their levels of pessimism surprising, especially given they've only lost one and been unlucky in some games; plus have generally been doing well under Eddie Howe since he joined. So long as they avoide relegation (NO WAY they go down) it's inevitable they will conintue to build and improve.

It even took Man City 4 to 5 years to start challenging; I think the Saudis have been in for less than a year so far!

They are in an infinitely better place to under Ashley and their potential is huge. Just think a bit of perspective has vanished and given way to unneccessary concern.

Football fans are not renowned for their patience.

By contrast, as a Fulham fan, it's hard to know what to hope for. We're currently exceeding our own expectations, we don't want the fun to end, so just trying to enjoy each game as it comes. But what's the ultimate goal? Based on recent years, it has been survival in the PL. But then what? Is there a glass ceiling for teams like us? You look at Brighton, who must be the template for us to follow, and as well as they've been going, they've lost some key players and their manager in the last couple of months. Do teams like us ever have a chance of remaining upwardly mobile and with the possibility of fighting for cups and glory, or is it inevitable that our best players and manager will get poached before we can get good enough as a squad to be regulars in the top 6?

Tabby

I think our glass ceiling is fairly high considering he amount of money that our owners are investing. They may not always invest it wisely, but we are backed well beyond what most clubs are.

The ceiling for us is based on turnover, much like Newcaslte, but Newcastle take home far more than we do at the moment so their owners can invest a bit more.

bencher

Quote from: Tabby on September 30, 2022, 02:10:36 PM
I think our glass ceiling is fairly high considering he amount of money that our owners are investing. They may not always invest it wisely, but we are backed well beyond what most clubs are.

The ceiling for us is based on turnover, much like Newcaslte, but Newcastle take home far more than we do at the moment so their owners can invest a bit more.

Turnover is a factor of many things. It used to be about the size of your stadium and how many seats get sold. Now it's about profile, advertising revenue and worldwide fanbase buying merchandise, subscribing to behind-paywall content etc. All of which comes from sustained success. When Abramovich bought Chelsea, there were a middling London team without a particularly significant international profile, any more than say West Ham or Aston Villa. The years of success from "Roman's money" mean they are now one of the most popular teams internationally, giving them the platform to buy better players and it's self-perpetuating. Leicester failed to truly capitalise on their basically miraculous PL win and they are now struggling despite an FA Cup win. But FFP means it's almost impossible to get into and stay in that top 4 or 6 group for a club like us, unless we recruit incredibly well and everyone hits their absolute potential.

cookieg

Quote from: bencher on September 30, 2022, 01:39:25 PM
Quote from: Count Flapula on September 30, 2022, 09:18:55 AM

Football fans are not renowned for their patience.

By contrast, as a Fulham fan, it's hard to know what to hope for. We're currently exceeding our own expectations, we don't want the fun to end, so just trying to enjoy each game as it comes. But what's the ultimate goal? Based on recent years, it has been survival in the PL. But then what? Is there a glass ceiling for teams like us? You look at Brighton, who must be the template for us to follow, and as well as they've been going, they've lost some key players and their manager in the last couple of months. Do teams like us ever have a chance of remaining upwardly mobile and with the possibility of fighting for cups and glory, or is it inevitable that our best players and manager will get poached before we can get good enough as a squad to be regulars in the top 6?

As a very long time Fulham supporter I always find its best not to hope.