News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely đź”’
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Declaring the Obvious That was highlighted at end of Window.

Started by FFC1987, October 01, 2022, 04:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFC1987

When we discussed the ratings for how good this window was, I, among others declared it was an alright window. Good, but not great. Indicating what happens to our midfield if we got injury to one of our starters. It got some derision, some support, but overall, I felt like it was painted over. But we're kind of seeing it now. Had we brought in someone like Aouar, we wouldn't be scrambling   (pending further injury) having to pick a side to slot in Cairney, or regrettably, playing Chalo. It was the obvious weakness in the squad/starting 11 and I don't think a lot of posters appreciated this enough.

I think a poster whose sticking his neck out today also said maybe he trusts Chalo hence why we didn't break the bank to provide Silva with this player. If true, it shows we have a very good manager, albeit capable of glaring mistakes. That's not a criticism of Silva really, selecting him was a mistake, signing him was a mistake and I'd wager he was a Silva signing rather than a player thrust on him. If we want to push on and stay in this league, we need to identify and remedy this issue sooner, rather than later. This isn't an overreaction to today, a dreadful display and result, but just showing that often, even us arm chair supporters can spot and highlight things.

In Silva we trust but please let Chalo go now and bring in someone with the skill set and temperament we/you need. 

MayoDomo

This was more of a selection issue than a transfer issue. I don't disagree that we are light in midfield, but Cairney is available and Reed is a more than capable DM. In all honesty I would have preferred Onomah to Chalo as well.
For Fulham News, Opinions, and Streaming Updates Follow me at https://twitter.com/MayoDomo!

FFC1987

Quote from: MayoDomo on October 01, 2022, 04:36:21 PM
This was more of a selection issue than a transfer issue. I don't disagree that we are light in midfield, but Cairney is available and Reed is a more than capable DM. In all honesty I would have preferred Onomah to Chalo as well.

Interesting take. I agree today with a tweak to the selection was avoidable perhaps, But I stand by the fact in recruiting, we left ourselves exposed here.

DannyM

Onomah is terrible and chalo isn't much better. Who else could we have selected today?! Lack of midfield depth has cost us, but let's move on. Every promoted team is going to have days like today.

FFC1987

As mentioned, would of played Reed deep, Pereria just in front of him with Cairney further up top. Cairney has the creativity, but not the press. Chalo just has nothing in that fundimentally important role in DM.

Pluto

We should have signed a Centre midfielder and a proper backup left back

Fulham 442

Quote from: DannyM on October 01, 2022, 04:42:55 PM
Onomah is terrible and chalo isn't much better. Who else could we have selected today?! Lack of midfield depth has cost us, but let's move on. Every promoted team is going to have days like today.
Well said!

Twig

Quote from: FFC1987 on October 01, 2022, 04:45:25 PM
As mentioned, would of played Reed deep, Pereria just in front of him with Cairney further up top. Cairney has the creativity, but not the press. Chalo just has nothing in that fundimentally important role in DM.

Absolutely this is what we should have done. Chalo is nowhere near Prem quality, he wasn't even close to top Champ quality. 

Sadly given the defensive inabilities of our reserves for LB and RB I doubt we could ever have got anything from this match.  Frankly we let in too many goals with our preferred back four, but the minute we have to use our squad depth we look so very vulnerable at the back.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: FFC1987 on October 01, 2022, 04:04:53 PM
When we discussed the ratings for how good this window was, I, among others declared it was an alright window. Good, but not great. Indicating what happens to our midfield if we got injury to one of our starters. It got some derision, some support, but overall, I felt like it was painted over. But we're kind of seeing it now. Had we brought in someone like Aouar, we wouldn't be scrambling   (pending further injury) having to pick a side to slot in Cairney, or regrettably, playing Chalo. It was the obvious weakness in the squad/starting 11 and I don't think a lot of posters appreciated this enough.

I think a poster whose sticking his neck out today also said maybe he trusts Chalo hence why we didn't break the bank to provide Silva with this player. If true, it shows we have a very good manager, albeit capable of glaring mistakes. That's not a criticism of Silva really, selecting him was a mistake, signing him was a mistake and I'd wager he was a Silva signing rather than a player thrust on him. If we want to push on and stay in this league, we need to identify and remedy this issue sooner, rather than later. This isn't an overreaction to today, a dreadful display and result, but just showing that often, even us arm chair supporters can spot and highlight things.

In Silva we trust but please let Chalo go now and bring in someone with the skill set and temperament we/you need. 

Can't speak for the other posters but I for one have been very vocal for a long time that we needed to upgrade on Chalobah and move him on. We're seeing why Watford let him leave on a free.

FFC1987

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on October 01, 2022, 05:26:14 PM

Can't speak for the other posters but I for one have been very vocal for a long time that we needed to upgrade on Chalobah and move him on. We're seeing why Watford let him leave on a free.

Yep agreed.

itombomb

Today is just one of those things. Yeah it has further highlighted that the one player who would really upgrade the first team is another high quality midfielder, but we had 5 or 6 first team players injured or unavailable in Tete, Robinson, Wilson, Willian, Soloman and Palhinha.

You're in a Forest type situation with of a load of players who don't know how to play together, and then that is exacerbated by the idiotic red in the 5th minute, and an unfit Mitro.

To be clear, I definitely don't think Chalobah is good enough, wouldn't have played him today and would really like an upgrade - but it did seem the priority for Silva at the end of the window was bringing in attacking players to get us through the first phase of the season.

bobbo

Cairney should have started today he was pretty sharp the time he was on .I ve not had the pleasure of seeing slowmo on the foul but have heard it was worth a sending off . For me the only positive today is chalobah can't play for at least 3 games .
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Baszab

Surely can't see Chalaboah starting ever again

Tackle was  right in front of me and should have been a double red
No Sunday league player would have steamed in like that, it was a brain dead decision

We were very lucky not to have been absolutely smashed out of sight today

As everyone has now realised, signing about 8 wingers without backup defensive midfielder cover has been mad

The Swan

bobbo. Well said thankfully he will miss at least three games and never play for us again.
The Swan

Jims Dentist

Perhaps predictably that the French left back would get injured in his first game.

Twig

Quote from: Baszab on October 01, 2022, 06:41:08 PM

No Sunday league player would have steamed in like that, it was a brain dead decision

As everyone has now realised, signing about 8 wingers without backup defensive midfielder cover has been mad

I was there too in the Hammy End and I couldn't believe that he initially seemed to get away with a yellow. It was a horrible, stupid, unnecessary foul and fully deserving of a red card. A completely brain dead numpty who should never play another minute for Fulham ever again.

HobGoblin

Don't want to see that waste of space playing for us again.

Baston White

Quote from: Twig on October 01, 2022, 07:36:33 PM
Quote from: Baszab on October 01, 2022, 06:41:08 PM

I was there too in the Hammy End and I couldn't believe that he initially seemed to get away with a yellow. It was a horrible, stupid, unnecessary foul and fully deserving of a red card. A completely brain dead numpty who should never play another minute for Fulham ever again.

He wasn't good enough to play in a championship team, how the heck did he get picked ahead of Tom.
He should never get the chance to pull on the shirt again.
A very, very bad day at the office.

bobbo

Well having read most that's been posted since 5pm I'm thinking we ( that all who want chalobah gone ) can't all be wrong . We may not have all the qualifications , coaching badges etc , but there's many old experienced heads ( me for one ) behind the anti chalobah comments tonight.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

jayffc

It didn't get painted over really.
Literally everyone on here agreed that the one main downside of the window was CDM cover...

Still think it was a great window witbout being utterly perfect....teams been massively competitive.  But yeh...CDM light when we lose Palhinha...that said , as many others pointed out, we could play cairney or periera there and it'd be better than chalobah.

P.s without wanting to stir when others post in vindication of their opinion you jump to say ...is this the time to say told you say...but when you do (albeit after a loss) 8t's fine. Not saying ya shouldn't, just find it interesting. .