watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Love VAR

Started by SP, October 01, 2022, 11:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeTheCubed

Many seem to be overlooking the purpose of VAR again, which is not supposed to be about making the 'correct' decision but about intervening when a 'clear and obvious' error is made. If a decision requires 5 minutes of deliberation then it cannot be 'clear and obvious'.

filham

Chalobah has red cards coming out of his ears but the time spent in reaching that decision was so irritating. Then the game that followed seemed nothing but stop/starts.
The early red card ruined the game which I think Newcastle would have won anyway.

toshes mate

Even within this thread we see subjectivity take over from objectivity.  It really doesn't matter what anyone thought of Chalobah's effort to take the ball, the objective point of a referee (be they the one with a whistle or the one with a TV monitor) is to make the right decision in real time to a very high standard of accuracy in accordance with the rules of the game.  What percentage of perfection in decision making is acceptable in a sport, and what level of consistency with that percentage is the standard referees must achieve to keep their badges? 

In my childhood I was always told the referee's, umpire's, etc., decision is final.  It worked in those times regardless of the flaws supporters identified in real time.  Is the real problem with football the subjectivity applied to it by those who have invested money directly or indirectly in it and not necessarily at club level (ie. corruption opportunities)?   

Somerset Fulham

It was absolutely a red card, there really shouldn't be any question over that.

Andy S

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on October 02, 2022, 11:52:42 AM
That is rubbish
1. The player is entitled to go in for a tackle
2. Chalobah went for the ball when he couldn't get the ball he pulled out of the tackle and only slightly made contact with his opponent
3. The Referee was close to the incident and saw the tackle in real time. His decision was it was a poor tackle but not dangerous - yellow card.
4 VAR was never intended to bring back play in the middle of the park that was not controversial
5 Mike Dean was a useless referee and should not be allowed near VAR
The player who was not even slightly injured carried on and completed the entire game. After rolling around on the pitch you would never have thought he was hardly touched

FFC1987

Yep. I do however think, as I've seen a few times mentioned, posters seem to think intention has some part to play in the card/decision process. We saw the same with Reids penalty against Brighton. Intention is completely irrelevant. Make contact, its a pen, tackle in a way that is dangerous, red card. SImple as that really.

Bassey the warrior

VAR fails when a referee in the back room makes the wrong call, removing VAR will only make it worse as the referee on the pitch will make even more wrong calls. The problem is that the rules are either badly designed or too open to interpretation.

Logicalman

Quote from: Andy S on October 02, 2022, 01:05:58 AM
I don't think that chalobahs sending off was the correct decision. A booking yes not a sending off. It ruined the game. That cannot be right.

Not certain it's fair to say it ruined the game, perhaps because I thought it was a correct decision, but yes, it put us on the back foot, and if id did ruin the game then, for me, it was down to Chalobah putting the ref in that position, not the decision itself. It happened in the Arseanl/Spuds match just prior to this game as well, same challenge, same result.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: Andy S on October 02, 2022, 12:11:42 PM
That is rubbish
1. The player is entitled to go in for a tackle
2. Chalobah went for the ball when he couldn't get the ball he pulled out of the tackle and only slightly made contact with his opponent
3. The Referee was close to the incident and saw the tackle in real time. His decision was it was a poor tackle but not dangerous - yellow card.
4 VAR was never intended to bring back play in the middle of the park that was not controversial
5 Mike Dean was a useless referee and should not be allowed near VAR
The player who was not even slightly injured carried on and completed the entire game. After rolling around on the pitch you would never have thought he was hardly touched

Not a single one of those points has anything to do with the award of a throughly deserved red card.

Free Elvis Hammond

Quote from: filham on October 02, 2022, 10:44:49 AM
Chalobah has red cards coming out of his ears

Seen a few people saying this, I don't get that at all. If anything he's too passive. Yesterday was his first red card since 2013, and the first straight red in his whole career

FFC1987

Quote from: Free Elvis Hammond on October 02, 2022, 03:00:58 PM

Seen a few people saying this, I don't get that at all. If anything he's too passive. Yesterday was his first red card since 2013, and the first straight red in his whole career

Yeh, I wouldn't say I went into the game thinking he'd get a red. More, he just wouldn't provide any sort of positive performance for the team in 90.

Hugh Gentry

Quote from: FFC1987 on October 02, 2022, 03:33:46 PM

Yeh, I wouldn't say I went into the game thinking he'd get a red. More, he just wouldn't provide any sort of positive performance for the team in 90.
He's a Fulhan player, with a white shirt on, I went into the game hoping that he would have a good game and challenge to retain his place. But then I am invested in the team.

FFC1987

Quote from: Hugh Gentry on October 02, 2022, 03:43:14 PM

He's a Fulhan player, with a white shirt on, I went into the game hoping that he would have a good game and challenge to retain his place. But then I am invested in the team.

Look at my post history. I literally said to a fellow poster I was hoping I was wrong and eating humble pie that he'd do well. Just didn't think he would. No different in attitude to predicting we might not win every game. Blind faith is a pointless endeavour.

Hugh Gentry

Quote from: FFC1987 on October 02, 2022, 03:46:34 PM

Look at my post history. I literally said to a fellow poster I was hoping I was wrong and eating humble pie that he'd do well. Just didn't think he would. No different in attitude to predicting we might not win every game. Blind faith is a pointless endeavour.
I'm sure everyone has time to read all your posts, Like I said, I am fully invested in the team

FFC1987

Quote from: Hugh Gentry on October 02, 2022, 04:13:25 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on October 02, 2022, 03:46:34 PM

I'm sure everyone has time to read all your posts, Like I said, I am fully invested in the team

Good for you. As is everyone here.  :wine: