watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham v Newcastle - Post Match Thread : Merged

Started by Mince n Tatties, October 01, 2022, 05:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugh Gentry

I think everyone agrees that Chalobahs tackle was rash and cost us the game. I am pretty sure it was spur of the moment and just a bad decision. Picking him in the first place, may have been a bad decision, so that could be two bad decisions. This may have cost us the game, alternatively, we may have had a really close fought battle and lost 0-1, the outcome is the same, we didn't get any points.

I am also certain that many of us have made questionable or bad decisions and been disappointed with the outcome. We respond by finding a new way and the next thing.

We have a very talented management team and a really good squad. I am comfortable we will find a way forward and be excited more than disappointed as we progress through the season.

SuffolkWhite

Bad day at the office today, it happens.  But we have 11 points and players to come back for the next game.

Move on please thank you.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

So, we lost a game that perhaps we should have drawn or even won.

That is going to happen as frustrating & annoying as may be.

Marco has had lots of praise for doing things right. Perhaps this time he didn't choose the best team?

That happens, so learn from it. Change the focus & players & rebuild. It's all about the reaction! Change it & replace with better.

It's about the response!

COYW!!

SP

Thank god they didn't have a decent striker on the pitch today, that could've been double figures.

Twig

Had a night to reflect after suffering that dross yesterday.  I still don't think Marco should have played Chalobah, he is barely Championship quality and there were other midfield combinations Marco could have selected. Never again please!
I can understand his choice of back four, both Kurosawa and Mbabu were given the opportunity to play in their preferred positions. Both were poor, they kept drifting inside thus leaving too much space out wide and were then too slow to anticipate the pass out to the Newcastle wide men thereby failing to close them down. They backed off persistently getting far too deep. Neither Looks good enough on this showing.
James and BDR didn't make much impression but they had inadequate full backs behind them so they get a pass from me.
Reed has come in for some criticism but from where I sat at least he responded to the sending off and consistently tried to put himself about and outmuscle his opponents.
Kebano and especially TC showed they should have been starters.

bigalffc

Quote from: Motspur on October 01, 2022, 08:16:16 PM

View Profile  Email  Personal Message (Online)

Re: Fulham v Newcastle - Post Match Thread : Merged
« Reply #24 on: Today at 07:46:31 PM »
Quote from: howitis on Today at 07:02:05 PM
Quote from: Motspur on

SORRY FOR CAPITALS

NOT A WIND UP. WHAT GAME WERE YOU WATCHING? REID WAS COVERING A NEW LEFT BACK WHO LOOKED SUSPECT FROM THE FIRST MINUTE THEN CHALOBAH GETS SENT OFF AND SO FIGHTING A VERY DIFFICULT CAUSE. NEWCASTLE WERE GIVEN TOO MUCH FREEDOM AFTER THE SENDING OFF AND WERE PLAYING QUICK TRIANGULAR PASSES TO ALLOW CROSSES FROM THE FULL BACK POSITIONS AT WILL. THE PROBLEM WAS OUR FULL BACKS IN THE FIRST HALF AND THE SENDING OFF IN THAT THEY COULDN'T CONTAIN THEIR EXTRA MAN. I MAINTAIN MY OPINION THAT BDR AND HARRISON REED WORKED TIRELESSLY IN A MIDFIELD THAT WAS OVERLOADED WITH NEWCASTLE PLAYERS. KEIRON TRIPPIER WAS THE CONDUCTOR OF THEIR PLAY FOR THE FIRST HALF WITH HIS POSSESSION OPTIONS AND CROSSES.
TELL ME WHO YOU THOUGHT OF THE STARTING ELEVEN WAS ANY BETTER WITH THE EXCEPTION OF LENO?

:plus one:

Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

Logicalman

Quote from: Andy S on October 01, 2022, 07:26:49 PM
The way I saw it there was never any intent. It didn't deserve a sending off and the decision ruined the game as a spectacle. The officials need to look at themselves especially mike dean on var

The exact same thing happened in the Arsenal/Spuds game early on the same day, where Royal went for a tackle, studs up, and caught the ankle of Martinelli, whereby Taylor gave him a straight red, and rightly so. Intent mght not have been there with Chalobah, but it was reckless, and that, for me, is just as bad for a player at this level of the game. The only real difference between the Royal tackle and this one was that no part of Royal's foot was touching the ground when contact was made, for Chalobah's, his heel was on the ground.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

WolverineFFC

Quote from: Twig on October 02, 2022, 10:23:48 AM
Had a night to reflect after suffering that dross yesterday.  I still don't think Marco should have played Chalobah, he is barely Championship quality and there were other midfield combinations Marco could have selected. Never again please!
I can understand his choice of back four, both Kurosawa and Mbabu were given the opportunity to play in their preferred positions. Both were poor, they kept drifting inside thus leaving too much space out wide and were then too slow to anticipate the pass out to the Newcastle wide men thereby failing to close them down. They backed off persistently getting far too deep. Neither Looks good enough on this showing.
James and BDR didn't make much impression but they had inadequate full backs behind them so they get a pass from me.
Reed has come in for some criticism but from where I sat at least he responded to the sending off and consistently tried to put himself about and outmuscle his opponents.
Kebano and especially TC showed they should have been starters.

Good post and I agree with much of it. Also waited a day to post after being so disappointed with the performance.

"Never again" is so true. I will give Marco a mulligan on selecting Chalobah once, but he showed where he is as a player at this moment. 15 minute mop up selections and last minute subs is it for him in my opinion.

Reed was all over. If every player put in the effort he did, the match would have been more competitive. We all know he is not big enough or fast enough to cover the entire holding role by himself at this level, which is why another deep midfielder in addition to him and Palhinha is/was needed.

Finally, I know formations are not as important as playing style at the end of the day. That being said, it seems blatantly obvious to me that the club need to be in a back 5 if any of the midfield 3 are out from now until January. The backup midfield are all defensive liabilities and adding a 3rd CB to the fray would help considering the quality of the players available.

Carborundum

Quote from: Twig on October 02, 2022, 10:23:48 AM
This is the story of the season.  Both Robinson and Tete drift inside to cover the CBs, but have the prowess to martial the outside sufficiently.  Both have been amazing.  Yesterday's pair aren't as good and 10 v 11 amplified the problem.  I don't think either are terrible - we have seen some shockers over the past decade - but our first choice pair are superb.

SP

There's no consistency, watching how lenient the ref of the Leeds v Villa is being it's like he's applying different laws.

Somerset Fulham

I think its a bit early to be calling a French international that has played for PSG rubbish, it was his first game lads.

FFC1987

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on October 02, 2022, 06:08:33 PM
I think its a bit early to be calling a French international that has played for PSG rubbish, it was his first game lads.

Agreed. Same reaction happened with Issa Diop and he started to change minds a game later. Barely played in a year. Could still be a flop for us, who knows but he deserves more of a chance.

SG

What should concern us is we are conceding two goals a game on average. That is not a recipe for survival

Classic94

Quite simply, a terrible afternoon. An early red compounded by injuries, selection mistakes and poor performances.

Best to move on. The important thing is how we bounce back.

RaySmith

Quote from: FFC1987 on October 02, 2022, 06:11:15 PM

Agreed. Same reaction happened with Issa Diop and he started to change minds a game later. Barely played in a year. Could still be a flop for us, who knows but he deserves more of a chance.

Agree with you both.

Shouldn't condemn the player for  one mistimed challenge in the heat of battle, when he was probably  nervous at the start of the game, and wanting to impress - at least it showed his commitment, you could say, and the ref was initially only going to give a yellow for it.

Shouldn't condemn the manager for picking him either - he was just picking the player from those  avaialable who he thought could best fulfill the role of the suspended Palhinha, who  is known for his tough tackling - hence his suspension.

That was only one incident , in a crucial in chain of bad luck - which highlighted the lack of squad strength in depth, that  caused us to lose the game, anyway - the Prem is unforgiving.

But that's  football, and we move on, this ganging up and scapegoating  of certain players is out of order imo, the bloke did his best, and you can't fault his commitment, as I said.

Twig

Quote from: RaySmith on October 03, 2022, 05:09:07 AM
Quote from: FFC1987 on October 02, 2022, 06:11:15 PM

Agree with you both.

Shouldn't condemn the player for  one mistimed challenge in the heat of battle, when he was probably  nervous at the start of the game, and wanting to impress - at least it showed his commitment, you could say, and the ref was initially only going to give a yellow for it.

Shouldn't condemn the manager for picking him either - he was just picking the player from those  avaialable who he thought could best fulfill the role of the suspended Palhinha, who  is known for his tough tackling - hence his suspension.

That was only one incident , in a crucial in chain of bad luck - which highlighted the lack of squad strength in depth, that  caused us to lose the game, anyway - the Prem is unforgiving.

But that's  football, and we move on, this ganging up and scapegoating  of certain players is out of order imo, the bloke did his best, and you can't fault his commitment, as I said.

He did his best? Well then I'd hate to see his worst! And I don't think anyone is slating him merely on the basis of this one aberration. He never showed himself to be Championship quality so it's no surprise he did a crash and burn when selected to play in the Prem.

Surlyc

Just like Solomon's debut, Kurzawa did not look match fit. It's not surprising given his lack of football and means we still have no idea how good he might actually be. He wouldn't haver played but for the Robinson injury and I'm sure Marco has a plan for getting that fitness right.

The bigger concern was how poor Mbabu looked when Newcastle were targeting him in the first half. He needed more support from Tosin and James, but he also needs a lot of training on how not to lose his man. Newcastle got their tactics on point and our injury list played right into their hands. Not going to write him off at all yet, but I hope his awareness is good enough for that training to work.

Plenty of people complained at the end of the transfer window about not bringing in cover for Palhinha and those people have been vindicated. Chalobah is who he is at this point and whatever the reason for his terrible attitude, if Silva can't fix it then I'm not sure anyone can.