News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR. Theo Walcott admits to diving. Your thoughts.

Started by Whiteroom, January 09, 2011, 01:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whiteroom

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/9351043.stm

Does anybody else find this a little big shocking? I know it happens a lot, but he really doesn't seem to have any remorse or embarrassment. Its a pretty shameful thing to do, but if you do shouldn't you keep it on the down low? Maybe we have reached a stage in football where it is almost a part of the game. I think that he should be seriously told off for it.

Mr Fulham

Unsportsmanlike. Embarrassing. It's concerning.

But I always viewed Walcott as a dumbass, so no need to change my opinion.  :down_under:

finnster01

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

CorkedHat

If I did it - and if I am honest I might have done at some time in my playing days - I sure as hell wouldn't be admitting to it. What's the point of doing that? :red:
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

YankeeJim

At least diving in the Prem is not the art form it is in Italy. You take a trow in down there and three guys fall done from the wind wash caused by the ball. I can't watch a match from Italy. I'm surprised pretty boy Renaldo didn't go there instead of Spain. He'd be a natural down there.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

HatterDon

I guarantee you that a player who's fouled in the penalty area and stays on his feet and then DOESN'T score will get a severe ass-chewing from his manager.

EVERYTHING in football is about fooling the referee. The ball goes into touch and EVERY player near it claims possession -- same on a corner/goal kick decision -- and nobody ever says a word about that. Nobody is EVER off sides, and nobody EVER purposely handles the ball. In professional football, everything is about fooling the referee so that your team can benefit.

So, do, I don't have any problem about Walcott -- a little amazed he's telling the truth. What I DO have problems with, however, is players trying to get other players carded or sent off.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Lighthouse

Bringing the game into disrepute - fined and banned for two games should be his punishment.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

HatterDon

Quote from: Lighthouse on January 09, 2011, 02:48:48 AM
Bringing the game into disrepute - fined and banned for two games should be his punishment.

By all means, let's punish the ONE guy who tells the truth.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

BalDrick

Typical Arsenal - cheating tossers.

Hmm, wonder why people are going off football in their droves...
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Tom

Quote from: HatterDon on January 09, 2011, 04:15:55 AM

Does that take away from him being a cheating tosser?
Fulham for life!

BalDrick

Quote from: Tom on January 09, 2011, 08:57:07 AM

Or from having the arrogance that players at that club have of being above the law?

Hard though it might be to believe, imagine if Diouf from Blackburn had admitted the same thing - they'd be throwing the book at him because they (quite rightly IMO) detest him and his methods. Walcott should get the same treatment.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Tom

Quote from: BalDrick on January 09, 2011, 08:59:39 AM
Quote from: Tom on January 09, 2011, 08:57:07 AM

Or from having the arrogance that players at that club have of being above the law?

Hard though it might be to believe, imagine if Diouf from Blackburn had admitted the same thing - they'd be throwing the book at him because they (quite rightly IMO) detest him and his methods. Walcott should get the same treatment.
100% agree with you BD!
Fulham for life!

FatFreddysCat

Boa was one of my all time Fulham favorites, but it used to drive me mad when he done his dives, agree with Lighthouse two match ban. In my football days if on one of the rare occaisions i got near the other teams penalty box (apart from corners) and i was getting kicked and tripped i done everything to stay on my feet, especially as i knew i wouldn't get to take the pen. Really wish they would really clamp down on this and start banning people.

MJG

I meet walcott on my flight back from Vegas last year during the WC and seemed quite down earth and gutted not to at the WC. Believe me I have spoken to fulham players giving it all the big time Charlie stuff and they had 1% of his skill.
As for the dive,nice to hear someone admit it but also its not as if we did not know they train to dive.

ImperialWhite

Don't know if they're still selling it, but I bought the 1960 European Cup final (Real Madrid v Eintract Frankfurt) for a fiver at Sports World (Sports Direct).

What's amazing is how good the tackling was. Not only that, people stayed on their feet. They didn't claim possession if they didn't think the ball was theirs and at no point did they approach the ref and whinge. In fact, you hardly noticed the ref was there.

Aah, the good old days (what? being overly nostalgic about football?)

Burt

I watched the match from my sickbed yesteday and ironically the run in the area that did lead to the penalty presented more opportunity to fall over but he tried to keep to his feet.

He's a bit of a mug for admitting to it, I am surprised that the club allowed it to go out (it was on the Arsenal web site), but fair play to him for admitting to it and for also saying that it was something he wasn't proud of.

I actually think Walcott is an amazing talent and there are far worse offenders than him, and if this helps publicise the diving problem and make it more unacceptable then that's all to the good.

alfie

I am amazed at some of the comments on here, goodness me it happens week in week out we see it all the time so it's hardly a shock announcement, after all look at our own lovely Clint, seems to fall over quiet easily at times, just the same as shirt pulling it amazes me how the refs tend to ignore this in the penalty area.

It's not a big deal

When i played (long time ago) i had this defender who was fouling me all the time and getting away with it, so i decided ok mate if thats the way you want it i went down in the area, got a pen, and he knew what i had done, did not foul me much after that.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Lighthouse

When The Police came around the other day and asked if I knew anything about a missing person from the area I said no I didn't. But I have decided to tell the truth and say I have them buried in the garden. Will they thank me for beong honest and let me off?

We know people cheat, we know defenders and forwards cheat. But admitting to it doesn't make it a good thing. Saying you tried to con the fans and the ref should not be applauded.

pettyfog

Quote from: Lighthouse on January 09, 2011, 01:44:03 PM...
We know people cheat, we know defenders and forwards cheat. But admitting to it doesn't make it a good thing. Saying you tried to con the fans and the ref should not be applauded.

I think that's poor logic.  If you ever want things to change and a chance at it becoming the beautiful game again, better that ALL admit to it.  Then the Ref Associations will have to make some changes.

Otherwise, in a decade or so... not much better than Pro Rasslin.

Lighthouse

Like wrestling in this country back in the 70s, we knew an awful of what we saw televised was 'put on ' but that there usually was a 'goody or baddy'. Now it is all but dead over here as people prefer to watch the tottaly fake American version.

We know players will try and cheat to gain an advantage. Ref know this. By having people admit to it afterwards does nothing but make the Refs look even more out of touch than they already are. Poor logic is expecting Refs to suddenly know the difference between a dive and a foul if more people admit to cheating. Only when player are punished for simulation will players stop doing it. So best start with a player who admitted trying to cheat even though he didn't fool the Ref.