https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Had to turn off Cottage Talk

Started by ianthailand, November 07, 2022, 05:18:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickeyboro

Quote from: paulbrookersmazydribbles on November 09, 2022, 10:55:02 AM
Quote from: Mickeyboro on November 08, 2022, 08:10:08 AM
Everyone has an opinion and this is a message board. Sure Russ can cope with praise and criticism, if not he is in the wrong game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The point about this is it is not a game. Russ started his podcast to share his enthusiasm about Fulham with fans all over the world. At that time, it was the first. He wasn't expecting to become a professional and it is his opportunity to talk about Fulham with fellow fans. We know have loads of podcasts that have piggy backed off what Russ started.

As others have said, Russ is always up for talking about Fulham as well as taking constructive feedback on his output. Anybody who has contributed to a podcast, website or even run a forum such as this one will know that it takes over weeks of life at a time.

Personally, some of the comments in this thread are ungracious - in my view - towards what Russ has done, entirely off his own back and without an intention to raise revenue. He's a Fulham fan and should be appreciated by the rest of the fanbase. He's not a professional interviewer or podcaster and has never claimed to be. I think he deserves a bit more respect but it is just my opinion here.

I was a professional journalist for my working life and am a musician now. I accept not everybody will like what I do, and get more from criticism than 'fantastic', 'marvellous' etc.

Whether its Russ' job or a pastime, I am sure he strives to improve, and criticism is part of the deal.

Fulham Pats Fan

Quote from: ianthailand on November 07, 2022, 05:18:12 AM
Does anyone else get annoyed with Russ Goldman constantly interrupting his guests? I am always (and not just this episode) shouting at the laptop, "let him talk." This episode was the last straw for me, perhaps i'm just getting a bolshie, intolerant, old git.
I am sorry if Russ reads this and is offended but i find it very rude and spoils my enjoyment of the show. I appreciate Russ puts a lot of effort into his shows and his commitment to Fulham and wish him and his presenters all the best for the future.

Thank you for the comment and I always appreciate criticism so I can get better as a host. In this last episode, I did interrupt Yannis a few times as I thought he was not addressing the topic but it was me who got it wrong as I listened back and I realized he did address it so my interrupting him was wrong. I listen back to the shows so I can critique the show and myself and heard this.

I honestly did not realize I have been interrupting my co-hosts a great deal so I will be aware of this criticism moving forward. It is my job to move the show forward but not be a hindrance to the conversation. Thank you for pointing this out and I am aware of this and will adjust moving forward.

Thank You.

Russ

Hatch007

Quote from: Fulham Pats Fan on November 09, 2022, 11:48:35 AM
Thank you for the comment and I always appreciate criticism so I can get better as a host. In this last episode, I did interrupt Yannis a few times as I thought he was not addressing the topic but it was me who got it wrong as I listened back and I realized he did address it so my interrupting him was wrong. I listen back to the shows so I can critique the show and myself and heard this.

I honestly did not realize I have been interrupting my co-hosts a great deal so I will be aware of this criticism moving forward. It is my job to move the show forward but not be a hindrance to the conversation. Thank you for pointing this out and I am aware of this and will adjust moving forward.

Thank You.

Russ
Bloody good on yer Russ for fronting up and posting a response.

And thank you obo the Fulham Faithful for all your efforts in producing Cottage Talk.

In the interest of full transparency I was with the op in finding the interruptions irksome and had stopped listening. There are many so-considered renowned chat hosts who frequently interrupt their guests (Jonathan Ross is a great example) but it's too easy to criticise when we haven't done the job ourselves.

I really do appreciate the extreme efforts you must got to and the personal time you dedicate to produce Cottage Talk, especially so soon after each match, so I will look forward greatly to giving the next pod a full listen.

All the very best, mate
COYW

Dodgin

Well done Russ, keep the Whites on the air.

Russ Goldman

Quote from: Hatch007 on November 09, 2022, 01:55:32 PM

Thank You.

Russ

And thank you obo the Fulham Faithful for all your efforts in producing Cottage Talk.

In the interest of full transparency I was with the op in finding the interruptions irksome and had stopped listening. There are many so-considered renowned chat hosts who frequently interrupt their guests (Jonathan Ross is a great example) but it's too easy to criticise when we haven't done the job ourselves.

I really do appreciate the extreme efforts you must got to and the personal time you dedicate to produce Cottage Talk, especially so soon after each match, so I will look forward greatly to giving the next pod a full listen.

All the very best, mate
COYW

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. As someone who cannot stand the crap on local sports radio here in Boston with the talking over each other, I do understand how it can be annoying so trust me I am very aware of it now and will adjust moving forward to prevent it. By the way Fulham Pats Fan and Russ Goldman are both my logins.

Thank you again for your constructive criticism.

Russ

Jules

Quote from: Russ Goldman on November 09, 2022, 03:54:10 PM
Quote from: Hatch007 on November 09, 2022, 01:55:32 PM

Thank You.

Russ

All the very best, mate
COYW

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. As someone who cannot stand the crap on local sports radio here in Boston with the talking over each other, I do understand how it can be annoying so trust me I am very aware of it now and will adjust moving forward to prevent it. By the way Fulham Pats Fan and Russ Goldman are both my logins.

Thank you again for your constructive criticism.

Russ

I love the show Russ, keep up the great work! Really appreciate all the effort yourself and co hosts put into it.

Thanks
Jules

Surlyc

Quote from: Russ Goldman on November 09, 2022, 03:54:10 PM
By the way Fulham Pats Fan and Russ Goldman are both my logins.
I wonder what the Venn diagram of Fulham & Pats fans is? Can't be many of you! As a Londoner I chose the Vikings over the Pats (my family has fans of both) around the year 2000 and it was probably the worst sporting fandom decision of my life. :doh:

Anyway, hope you take the feedback well Russ. I have enjoyed listening to Cottage Talk on and off for what must be a decade now and I hope you know that the podcast is appreciated.

ianthailand

Russ. I started this topic and did not intend to demean or in any way denigrate your work. I have listened to your podcasts for a number of years and always look forward to hearing your views. I appreciate it must be difficult to hold fire if the contributor is going off topic or says something you vehemently disagree with. I couldn't do it. I also couldn't or wouldn't want to put the time and effort into producing shows of such high quality. I applaud and thank you for it. I apologise if i should have sent a private message to you as Pimlico suggested but i was more interested if i was getting it wrong by being a grumpy old git. If in the end this episode ends up contributing to a better show then maybe it has been worthwhile. Keep up the good work and thanks again for the time put in by you and your contributors.

HV71

Really appreciate you coming on here Russ - I will be tuning in again . I love the content and you do do a great job - but I was with Ian on his comments . You have been compared on here to Jonathan Ross - you are far better than him I can assure you.
Looking forward to the next podcast

Russ Goldman

Quote from: ianthailand on November 09, 2022, 04:58:53 PM
Russ. I started this topic and did not intend to demean or in any way denigrate your work. I have listened to your podcasts for a number of years and always look forward to hearing your views. I appreciate it must be difficult to hold fire if the contributor is going off topic or says something you vehemently disagree with. I couldn't do it. I also couldn't or wouldn't want to put the time and effort into producing shows of such high quality. I applaud and thank you for it. I apologise if i should have sent a private message to you as Pimlico suggested but i was more interested if i was getting it wrong by being a grumpy old git. If in the end this episode ends up contributing to a better show then maybe it has been worthwhile. Keep up the good work and thanks again for the time put in by you and your contributors.

I appreciate you bringing this up as I took it as constructive criticism. The last episode I absolutely interrupted and it was wrong. As someone who has turned off local sports radio for interruptions I get it and hopefully it will enhance my job as a host.

Thanks Again.

Russ

ianthailand

Quote from: Russ Goldman on November 09, 2022, 06:19:04 PM
Quote from: ianthailand on November 09, 2022, 04:58:53 PM

I appreciate you bringing this up as I took it as constructive criticism. The last episode I absolutely interrupted and it was wrong. As someone who has turned off local sports radio for interruptions I get it and hopefully it will enhance my job as a host.

Thanks Again.

Russ
Takes a big man to admit they're wrong, more respect. I'd like to have your enthusiasm but at 74 I can't waste the energy. Will be awaiting next pod with interest.

paulbrookersmazydribbles

Pleased to see that Russ has responded this with his customary good grace. That's the hallmark of a proper gentleman. Proud that he follows Fulham.