more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff - 15/11/22...

Started by WhiteJC, November 15, 2022, 12:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Abdes Ouaddou speaking at Trust AGM

Former Fulham defender Abdes Ouaddou, who is our special guest at Thursday's Trust AGM, gave a powerful interview on his experiences in Qatar to the Times [subscription required] on Saturday.

Ouaddou, who counts his three years at Fulham as amongst the happiest in his career despite making only 36 first-team appearances, was excited by the opportunity of playing in Qatar when he signed for Lekhwiya in 2010, but the first problem was when that club forced him to sign for another domestic outfit, Qatar Sporting Club, the following year – despite Ouaddou having two years to run on his contract.

After what he describes a mediocre season with his new side, Ouaddou refused a mutual termination of his contract and suddenly things took a sinister turn. As he tells the Times, when he made it clear he would see out his contract unless Qatar SC paid compensation, Ouaddou's electricity was disconnected, his family were turfed out of their accomodation, his car was requisitioned and the club refused to pay his wages for six years.

Ouaddou says:

"When you cut off a man's electricity, when you confiscate her car, so that he can no longer go to work, and when you stop paying his salary, it is because you want to destroy a human being. I believe that respect for work, respect for the contracts that you sign, is fundamentally a matter of respect for the dignity of man. It's a question of human rights. He who presides over a work contract, presides over a human relationship, and that applies the world over. Without those contractual relationships, we are left with a drift into anarchy. So when these people began to behave in this manner, that was something I could not tolerate."

He recognises he was fortunate to eventually be able to leave Qatar, unlike many of the migrant workers who still have very few rights in the country.

"If a top-level sportsman with no financial issues can be subjected to that kind of maltreatment, you can well imagine the tragedy that could befall the workers who built the stadiums for the World Cup – but only only time. We could also talk about the women who worked in the houses. These women, who came from Sri Lanka, the Philippines, India, experienced unspeakable things."

Abdes will discuss his experiences in Qatar, as well as time at Craven Cottage and his subsequent coaching career, which sees him work in Benin at present, with Trust members during our AGM on Thursday. This is a members only event, but it isn't too late to join the Trust.

https://www.fulhamsupporterstrust.com/news/2022/11/abdes-ouaddou-speaking-at-trust-agm/

WhiteJC

Fulham confident after 'excellent' Premier League return despite last-minute heartbreak

Dan James thought he would be Fulham's super sub with his breathless equaliser against Manchester United.

The former United winger twisted the knife against his old club by pegging them back at Craven Cottage just moments after joining the fray.

James was superseded however, as Alejandro Garnacho's added-time goal stole United all three points to eclipse him.

His experience of being one-upped by Garnacho echoed Fulham's last two Premier League outings.

Two defeats to Manchester clubs, both 2-1 with last-gasp winners – and both where Fulham provided a fine account of themselves only to wind up empty handed.

Erling Haaland's last-minute penalty at the Etihad Stadium on November 5 left Marco Silva's side frustrated enough.

But Garnacho's last-ditch winner for United on Sunday left Fulham fuming with themselves for letting both a point slip, and ten Hag's men off the hook.

Fulham's last-minute lament could linger on into the World Cup break. But 15 games into the Premier League campaign the Whites should only be toasting their progress.

Tipped for relegation in the summer, Fulham were widely expected to have a season of struggle.

Instead, Silva's side have pushed every big-six side they have played to the limit.

Fulham are sitting pretty in ninth place at the World Cup interlude, with boss Silva earning his squad's respect by offering an all-court tactical approach.

Midfielders Joao Palhinha and Andreas Perreira helped Fulham bully United in midfield, with Tom Cairney another to impress.

Silva's men won pretty much every second ball, with United time and again stunned by their controlled ferocity.

Silva has had plenty of detractors in his time in English football. But the 45-year-old has whipped this Fulham squad into some shape.

"He's worked a lot on details, he's very, very demanding, and in training you can see that," Arsenal goalkeeper Bernd Leno told Standad Sport.

"He's doing very well and the philosophy is great.

"We can play short, we can play long, set-pieces, and everything.

"So it makes it very hard to be predictable."

Fulham will eventually get back into the Premier League swing at Crystal Palace on Boxing Day, with Leno determined the side will not let their momentum slip.

"Maybe when the frustrations settle down we can appreciate the way we played against United," added Leno.

"The way we dominated such a big team was impressive. But also maybe the last pass, the last cross was not quite top.

"Ninth in the table at the break though, that is excellent to be honest.

"The way we play, it's not that we are lucky to be winning games, we deserve every point."

The Fulham stars not headed to Qatar will take a two-week holiday before stepping straight back into the top-flight battle.

"After two weeks we'll be ready to fight again, we'll go again with a training camp," said Leno.

"Then from Christmas we'll be right back at it."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-fc-latest-news-leno-premier-league-2022-b1039699.html

WhiteJC

My Hammersmith End season ticket friend

it was a reference to Franz Kafka that made me realise my friendship with Dom was pretty special. It was around the time when we had a winger at Fulham called Alex Kacaniklic. During one match, Dom suddenly referred to the player as 'Alex K', linking him (who knows how?) to Josef K. and Kafka's book The Trial. Understanding the reference, I replied, keeping up the slow connections to Kafka's work, to which mid-match he delightedly exclaimed, 'Ah, you're a Kafka fan, Hayley!' and we continued to discuss our shared enjoyment of the great author.

Dom and I were to become friends purely by the anomaly of a computer. My friend Rob and I had recently acquired season tickets next to each other in H4 of the Hammersmith End. To my right sat Rob, and to his right sat Dom. We were distinctly British about our first seating together, politely saying hello, not knowing if those around us were 'tourists' for the day, another newly moved season-ticket holder or, as it turned out, an already formed 'season-ticket bubble' to which we were the newbies.

More often than not, the season-ticket bubble, or STB, is formed from people who have been sitting across no more than about four rows, though not necessarily together, with enough regularity that they have formed a friendship group. They are usually of mixed age, background, political views. They are a strange mix from the outset, but over time a combination of perhaps a family, a couple, a few friends or a solo attendee have forged this group, and it has become a valuable asset to them all on matchday. The only parallel relationship I could draw for the uninitiated would be one where you get beyond the niceties with your neighbours or someone like your postman. The bonus of the STB is that you all support the same team.

My discussions with Dom were mainly about football, of course, but slowly they began to expand. We discovered our mutual love of a good old-fashioned boozer and cask ales, as well as a shared love of travel in the form of away days and trips far beyond. I had to visit Budapest, he told me, 'The land where Zoltan Gera is the face of Pepsi. You have to see it, Hayley. Beautiful!'

It was all very trivial. But I guess that is the joy of the season-ticket friend. You intersperse chat about life with 'What on earth is Johnson doing playing that ball?' Things never go too deep and can always be cut short if the ball reaches the attacking final third. But there is a genuine specialness to a friendship like this – the simple joy of chatting with someone you meet every other week.

You need something to look forward to that isn't reliant on three points or a good performance. Asking someone in your bubble how their mum is getting on and finding she is on the mend is the sort of good news that can ever so slightly cushion a 0-1 defeat in the rain. Perhaps it puts some of the stress in perspective.

I suppose the difference between getting to know your postman well – even if it's very well – and your bubble is the fact that you've shared something with the people you sit near. Something that really matters.

Rob and I began to arrange to meet up with Dom in the pub, alongside one of Dom's oldest friends, Mal, whom we had also got to know. These people play an important role in your life. Something you probably don't realise quite how much until you are informed that your pal has fallen ill.

I knew Dom had been sick via Mal, but it was a chance meeting at a hospital between Rob and Dom that hammered it home. Rob reported back that Dom was on breathing apparatus and really in a bad way, and I was upset – more so than I would have expected, I suppose.

We continued to message, mainly via email. I was planning a trip to South America, conveniently coinciding with the Brazilian World Cup, and Dom was beyond happy for me, telling me about some of his own escapades in some far-flung corners of the world.

Having been concerned about him, though, it seemed all was OK: he made a good recovery and was back at Fulham games. He was raspy sometimes, but our chats were precisely as they had always been. Post-travels, my season ticket moved and we were no longer seat buddies. It was fine – we still met for half-time beers, moaned about the manager and kept up the emails and close-season pub sessions.

But then, unfortunately, Dom got sicker. His breathing was struggling, and he was on an apparatus to support him, meaning no Fulham. Once he had some more convenient apparatus I went to meet him at a pub close to where he lived. Dom was struggling more than I had envisaged from the tone of his emails.

We continued emailing, though I was tardy, with my 'busy' life meaning it would be some time between replies. I have a draft of an email to him still in my inbox. I never completed it in time.

I would never want to glorify something as being more than it was. Dom and I never became best friends; we met only a handful of times beyond our designated slot of 3pm on a Saturday (or as close to that as Sky will allow). But I truly valued all of it, I suppose because of its quirkiness and the fact it doesn't happen that often in the outside world. I still think of him often when Fulham are playing.

Just a few months after Dom's death, Fulham made it to the play-off final – our first time at Wembley since our FA Cup final defeat in 1975. It pisses me off sometimes that life didn't give him that before he had to go. He'd endured a lot, following Fulham in the 1980s and 1990s. But what can you do?

His funeral was lovely, with a brilliant eulogy from Mal that perfectly interweaved their friendship and a condensed version of Fulham's recent history. But it was another part of the speech that really caught me out. Yes, Dom had mentioned his travels often, but it was only when it was too late that I discovered the scale of them. From extensive journeys in eastern Europe before the fall of the Berlin Wall to completing trips on every single continent, his travels put mine to shame. For all our time together, we'd not had the chance to get to that part of the discussion yet, and now I suddenly had so much to ask.

But for now, I really should hurry up and book that trip to Budapest, making sure to raise a can of Pepsi to him and our Hungarian hero Zoltan, too.

This is an extract from Hayley Davinson's chapter in Football, She Wrote: An Anthology of Women's Writing on the Game, published by Floodlit Dreams. By kind of permission of our friend Ian Ridley at Floodlit Dreams, Hammyend.com readers can get our women's football month off to a great start by using the code FULHAMLILLIES here to get a 10% discount on this brilliant book.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/11/my-hammersmith-end-season-ticket-friend/

WhiteJC

Fulham Women return to the Cottage

Fulham Women play their first fixture at Craven Cottage for more than two decides in the Capital Cup against AFC Wimbledon on Sunday 20 November.

The Trust are delighted that more than 2,000 fans have already purchased tickets to cheer on Steve Jaye's side, who play in the first round proper of the Women's FA Cup tomorrow. Make sure you are part of this historic afternoon by booking your ticket to cheer on the Whites here.

https://www.fulhamsupporterstrust.com/news/2022/11/fulham-women-return-to-the-cottage/

WhiteJC

Aston Villa and Fulham 'want to sign' player in January – Offers would be €15-20m

Barcelona are already looking towards future transfer windows, having already got bored of some of their acquisitions from the summer market.

One of those is Franck Kessie who arrived from AC Milan as a free agent. There was much fanfare about the deal, with the Catalan media insisting Barca had beaten some big Premier League clubs to the midfielder.

So far this season, Kessie has had around 500 minutes of action and there's already talk about him being replaced in the squad. Rather than being linked with clubs towards the top of the Premier League, Fichajes push forward Aston Villa and Fulham.

The player is said to be unhappy at the Camp Nou and could bring in a reasonable fee for them in January. According to the report, Aston Villa and Fulham 'want to sign' him in the winter market.

Aston Villa's offer could reach €15m, whereas Fulham could be prepared to go to €20m.

Information is thin on the ground right now, but it's certainly a situation to keep an eye on, with Barcelona seemingly becoming bored of this new toy rather quickly.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/aston-villa-fulham-want-sign-player-january-offers-e15-20m/

WhiteJC

'Driven' – Fulham academy mastermind joins Brighton technical team as post Dan Ashworth reshuffle continues
Brighton and Hove Albion have confirmed that Mike Cave is the club's new assistant technical director.

Mike will report directly to technical director David Weir, and will assist in overseeing football operations, including recruitment, analysis, medical and player welfare, across both the men's and women's set-up.

David said, "We went through a very thorough process in recruiting Mike and I am delighted to welcome him to the club.

"He arrives after eight years of excellent work at Fulham, which has been not only evident on the pitch with the academy graduates who have made the step up to the first team, but also off it in the way that he has really driven their development programme.

"We're extremely excited by the ideas that Mike can bring to the Albion and myself and many of my colleague are really looking forward to working closely with him."

Mike graduated from Loughborough University with a degree and masters in Sports Science and Sports Management, before being accepted onto the competitive International Management Group (IMG) internship scheme, where he took up a full-time position.

After six years with IMG, Mike joined Fulham in 2014 as academy performance manager, having also been working as a part-time coach in the youth development phase.

He worked his way up the academy and was appointed as the club's academy director in August 2021.

https://www.sussexexpress.co.uk/sport/football/brighton-and-hove-albion/driven-fulham-academy-mastermind-joins-brighton-technical-team-as-post-dan-ashworth-reshuffle-continues-3917315

WhiteJC

Marco Silva hopes no Fulham players get injured during World Cup
Marco Silva hopes all the Fulham players will return from the World Cup in an ideal physical condition to face the demands of the rest of the season.

In the final match before the Premier League took a break for the tournament in Qatar, Manchester United teenager Alejandro Garnacho scored a stoppage-time winner to earn the visitors a dramatic 2-1 victory at Craven Cottage.

Christian Eriksen's first goal for United had put the visitors ahead after 14 minutes but Fulham deservedly drew level just after the hour mark through former Red Devils winger Daniel James, before Garnacho's decisive goal.

It was another late heartbreak for Fulham after they suffered defeat in the final moments for the second successive Premier League match, having previously been beaten by a stoppage-time penalty at Manchester City.

For Silva, the defeat was tough to take, but he wants his side to work on their late lapses.

"It's tough to take. It will probably be tough for me tomorrow (Monday) and that's it," the Fulham boss said.

"I want the players now to have a small break. Of course, I wish all the best for the players going to the World Cup; it's a great tournament and they deserve to enjoy it, so all the best for them.

"The players that are left here will have a small break and after they will have to start to work hard to come back stronger and that is the way.

"We will come back not thinking that we lost this game in the last minute or this game one week before as well.

"It's a moment to work on these types of moments to improve and we have to come back stronger as a team.

"Let's hope everyone comes back in the best physical condition they can, and the players coming back from the World Cup as well because, all together and all fit, we are stronger as a team."

Fulham have a number of players going to the World Cup, including Joao Palhinha (Portugal), Harry Wilson and James (Wales), Tim Ream and Antonee Robinson (United States) and Aleksandar Mitrovic (Serbia), and the manager hopes all will return without significant injury ahead of the remainder of the domestic campaign.

"I will be watching, I will be analysing, I will enjoy as well some games," he said.

"I hope, of course, not just our players, but all the players come back in a good physical condition to be ready for the second half of the season."

https://www.planetsport.com/soccer/news/marco-silva-hopes-fulham-players-get-injured-world-cup

WhiteJC

Positives and negatives: Fulham 1-2 Manchester United

Cam reflects on a painful Remembrance Sunday defeat for the Whites, a result that should've been oh-so different.

Courageous, valiant, deflated. Marco Silva's Fulham encountered Erik Ten Hag's Manchester United before the season's intermission with a score to settle, but as it was against Manchester City, there was no reward for a collective performance that warranted so much more than an unjust defeat.

Fog lingered and heated disputes flared between home supporters and undercover United fans among the terraces; tt was a real winter warmer at Craven Cottage and despite the defeat and the manner in which it came, the Whites are ninth with 19 points and we've equalled our best ever start to a Premier League campaign at this juncture, 15 games in.

Our next competitive outing is on Boxing Day at Crystal Palace, a team that have faltered and flattered to deceive given the squad at their disposal, so for our sanity over the weeks ahead without club football, we hope you all enjoy the World Cup and we also wish you and yours a very merry Christmas, albeit a slightly premature one. Up the Fulham!

Positives
Palhinha's endless applause
There aren't many defensive midfielders in the game that can do what Joao Palhinha does on a weekly basis. I lost count of how many times the Portugal international overturned possession – he was unrelenting. Palhinha is not your normal, everyday midfielder. He's a truly unique enforcer of authority, beyond comparison, and he was easily the best player on the pitch by some distance.

Rudely interrupting United's choreographed passages, Palhinha rested at nothing. From urgent interceptions to full-blooded slide tackles, our hardy number 26 was an issue the visitors couldn't shake and it's clear that he's performing at a level that surpasses both that of the Whites and indeed the Red Devils. He's the closest thing to flawless Fulham we've had since Mousa Dembele and his ability's boundless. Without Harrison Reed, Palhinha had to eat up the midfield and he snacked on United's equivalents – even revered serial Champions League winners like Casemiro. Joao and his sheer persistence drowned out trouble before it had even been plotted.

No player has raised bums from seats quite as much as Palhinha this season, barring Aleksandar Mitrovic, perhaps. He's revolutionised the medium of hard-but-fair tackles and he couldn't have warmed up for the World Cup any better. We have a player that can genuinely waltz into any Premier League starting compliment, a custodian that's a grand master of his craft and he is the envy of opposing fans and midfielders, countrywide. Now, over the next month, he can show the planet why we at Fulham are madly besotted by J-Pally, the man that makes the uglier side of football appear extraordinarily beautiful.

Cairney's divine creation
Tom Cairney accompanied Palhinha in the middle of the park in his first start of the season, and as expected, the dependable playmaker complimented his animated partner superbly. Cairney supervised possession practically; he combined creation with preservation to prolong Fulham's spells on the ball and as Joao kept watch, the 31-year-old was expressive as well as impactful.

As Fulham constructed sequences, TC regularly peeled off his marker unsettle United's composition and while he may not be the most mobile, he made lung-busting runs to draw the Whites further upfield. Particularly along the left, Cairney helped Willian and Antonee Robinson overload Tyrell Malacia's quadrant and that's where and how he devised our 61st-minute equaliser.

Striding ahead of Willian, faster than he's probably ever shifted before, Tom screeched a cross between bodies to locate Dan James within the six-yard box and it just goes to show that whether it be in the Championship or against one of the globe's heavyweights, TC can still manipulate proceedings to Fulham's benefit. He was 60 seconds short of a full 90 minutes, but for a player that supposedly can't endure a full match anymore, our resident architect – even with heavy legs – was an invigorating source of vitality.

Dan's scripted outing
If anybody was going to come off the bench to pull Fulham level, it was always going to be Dan James. It's a classic narrative: former United player that's yet to impress for the Whites gets an opportunity to reacquaint himself with his old employers and, get this, he does so by opening his goal scoring account. It may not have stood for much come the final whistle but at the time, as he crashed the ball past David De Gea, it meant everything to both James and his doubters, myself included.

James had not endeared himself to Fulham's support before yesterday, but evidently with a point to prove, the Welsh winger showcased why he was once on United's books. Before Sunday evening, Dan had baulked at one-on-one sprints, he'd shrunk at head-to-head showdowns, but Luke Shaw was simply no match for the rapid attacker once he'd burst into full flow. James zipped into promising positions, he anticipated counter attacks and all-importantly, he finally converted from close range, having arrived in the penalty area almost undetected.

We all want James to kick on from here and for him to do so, all he has to do is commit to searing surges. That, in principle, is why we took him off Leeds United's hands for the season, to get at backpedalling defenders without hesitation because if he begins to trust himself again, with that scorching pace of his, he'll resurrect his reputation. There's a very long way to go, but I'm glad he got one over the Red Devils and hopefully, this'll be the beginning of his revival.

An unrestrained Robinson
Over the coming weeks, like several others in Fulham's set-up, Robinson is going to frequent our TV screens as he turns out for the USMNT in Qatar, and those that aren't necessarily accustomed to our flying left-back are in for a treat. Supercharged, reformed from the liability he once was in yesteryear, Robinson is designed for top-flight action; his athleticism demonstrates that theory alone, and United couldn't keep up with our fullback's gutsy exertion both with and without the ball.

The 25-year-old was fearless as he burnt the left channel, once he reaches terminal velocity there's no telling how his legs will rest but it does make for cracking entertainment. Neither Malacia or Anthony Elanga could restrain Robinson moving forward and in retreat, if United's runners had slipped his custody, he was in hot pursuit to throw down the stingers.

Antonee never ceases; he was piercing on the break and merciless as he backtracked, and when he administered possession to Willian or further afield, his intentions were always progressive. His attitude's been transformed by Silva. He's confident, earnest, and though he may have been wrongly accused at the Etihad, he's now a compatible performer that's scarcely at fault. Both of United's goals arose along the right, because they were flummoxed when they were faced with Jedi, a warrior that will literally stampede through players if you dared him to.

Negatives
Another late loss
For the second matchday running, Fulham's efforts were soiled with virtually the last kick of the game. It was gut-wrenching as Garnacho slammed an injury-time winner past Bernd Leno and it echoes the sickening feeling we all experienced as Kevin De Bruyne bribed a penalty at the death last week.

Twice in the space of a week, both teams from Manchester have stolen maximum points from the Whites in the most nauseating circumstances imaginable. United had a handful of clear-cut opportunities and they capitalised when it mattered and with seconds left, Fulham folded for reasons that are unexplainable. You have to question our mentality; it happened against Arsenal, City and now United. Regardless of how resilient we are for 85 minutes plus, we implode when we should be swinging the axe.

We can't continue to be a victim of our own fragility. United offered next to nothing throughout the second half; we were well on top and we lost control with the finish line in plain sight. Maybe a squad without Mitro, Reed and Kenny Tete was a factor, perhaps De Gea's inspired saves dampened our enthusiasm, it's a mystery, but something certainly isn't sitting right once the fourth official displays additional time.

Fulham went from all hands on deck to panic stations within a single switch of momentum, they had one more phase of play to see out before the game was brought to a close but our attention to detail dissipated unceremoniously and we were already at a point of no return. We've a team that can inflict pressure, individual players that can rewrite results in our favour so after the World Cup, at Selhurst Park, I want us to be the dominant side that turns the screw in the closing stages, rather than being the inevitable losers that entice an adverse, damaging reaction.

https://www.fulhamish.co.uk/post/2022-11-14-positives-and-negatives-fulham-1-2-manchester-united/

WhiteJC

🏆 Jay Stansfield named EFL Young Player of the Month for October

Stanno awarded after a superb October

Jay Stansfield has been named the EFL Young Player of the Month for October.

Former Academy graduate Jay, who re-joined the Grecians on a season-long loan from Fulham was in fantastic form in October, which saw him net four times and provide two assists in a series of impressive performances. Jay also picked up the club awards for Fans' player and goal of the month.

Speaking about winning the award, Jay said: "I'm really happy. I've been working hard over the last couple of months to get a rhythm and flow of how League One is played, so thanks to all the staff and all the players for helping me settle into an environment that I'm not used to.

"It's the first trophy I've had in my career so far, I'll find a safe place for it in the house and hopefully I can get many more. It's not just my award as I wouldn't have been able to do it without the team and everyone has contributed."

"I've been working on another side of my game with the assists so I'm not all about goalscoring and I like helping the team out so I need to keep working hard and getting goals and assists.

"I'm loving it here, getting the amount of game time I need on a regular basis. I'm really enjoying my time here."

The award covers players that play in all three divisions of the Sky Bet Football League.

The award is voted for shortlisted to four candidates each month and the winner is voted for by David Wetherall (EFL Youth Development Director), alongside Ali Maxwell and George Elek who are part of the Not the Top 20 Podcast / Sky Sports / ITV Highlights show.

This is the first time an Exeter City player has won the award since Ollie Watkins back in March 2016. Previous winners of the award include Dele Alli, Conor Gallagher, Brennan Johnson, James Maddison.

https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/2022/november/jay-award/

WhiteJC

Aston Villa to 'rival' Fulham in ambitious swoop for Barcelona summer signing

Aston Villa have been linked with a number of new players since Unai Emery arrived at the club

Aston Villa are considering a move for Barcelona midfielder Franck Kessie, according to Futbol Total, via Sport. The Ivorian only joined the Catalan club in July.

Kessie spent five years with AC Milan after a two-year loan spell earned him a permanent move to the Italian giants in 2019. He went onto make over 170 league appearances for the club and became an important goalscorer for them, netting 13 goals in the 2020-21 campaign as he was named in the Serie A Team of the Year. He then went on to help Milan win the Serie A title the following season and unsurprisingly earned plenty of interest across Europe.

The 25-year-old went onto join Barcelona upon his contract expiry in July, signing a four-year deal with his buy out clause set at €500m. However, despite the excitement around Kessie's arrival in Spain, he has only made two starts under Xavi and Aston Villa are looking to take advantage of their sticky financial situation by making a £12m bid in the January transfer window.

Barca had already struggled to register Kessie to play in La Liga and could be open to selling him for a profit, with the likes of Pedri, Sergio Busquets and Frenkie de Jong all ahead of him in the pecking order at the Camp Nou. Meanwhile, Aston Villa have made it clear they are eager to bolster their midfield, even after Douglas Luiz committed his future to the club.

With a number of stars underperforming for Villa this season including Phillippe Coutinho and John McGinn, Unai Emery could look to Kessie to bring competition for players that may feel their position in their team is secure. However, the report claims that Fulham are also interested in the midfielder and will look to rival the Midlands club for his signature. The Cottagers already added Joao Palhinha and Andreas Pereira to their ranks in the summer, though they may believe Kessie could be a bargain worth snapping up in January.

If Barcelona are open to a quick exit for Kessie then there will no doubt be a number of clubs queueing up for his services, while he may be eager to join a team competing in Europe next season. However, Emery's success with Villarreal could make a move to the Premier League a tempting proposition.

https://www.birminghamworld.uk/sport/football/aston-villa/aston-villa-rival-fulham-ambitious-swoop-barcelona-summer-signing-3917921

WhiteJC

Jay Stansfield: Exeter City's Fulham loanee named EFL young player of the month

Jay Stansfield has impressed since returning to boyhood club Exeter City on loan

Exeter City's on-loan Fulham forward Jay Stansfield has been named the English Football League's young player of the month for October.

The 19-year-old, who came up through the club's academy, returned to City on a season-long deal in August.

He scored four goals and provided another two assists in seven games last month as Exeter continue to impress after promotion last season.

"It's the first trophy I've had in my career so far," Stansfield said.

He told the Exeter City website: "I'll find a safe place for it in the house and hopefully I can get many more.

"It's not just my award as I wouldn't have been able to do it without the team and everyone has contributed."

The son for former Exeter striker Adam Stansfield - who died of cancer while he was a player at the Grecians in 2010 - Jay joined Fulham from Exeter for an undisclosed fee in the summer of 2019.

He made his debut the following January and has gone on to play five league games for the London side, including three appearances in the Premier League in August this year.

Stansfield has scored four goals in 14 appearances for Exeter since joining on loan in September.

"I'm really happy," he added.

"I've been working hard over the last couple of months to get a rhythm and flow of how League One is played, so thanks to all the staff and all the players for helping me settle into an environment that I'm not used to."

He is the first Exeter player to win the award since Ollie Watkins in March 2016 and is the second from Devon is as many months after Plymouth Argyle's Norwich City loanee Bali Mumba won the title for September.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63624442

WhiteJC

Liverpool should eye Joao Palhinha as Fabinho replacement – Our View

With the image of Fabinho dominating any and every midfield for Liverpool almost seeming like a thing of the past, the similarly all-action Joao Palhinha could be the club's answer to finding a suitable successor for the declining Brazilian's throne.

A glimpse at the fall of Fabinho

While the likes of Jordan Henderson and James Milner have looked like they are past their sell-by date, perhaps the most surprisingly underwhelming performer in the middle of the park has been Fabinho.

With Henderson and Milner in their 30s as well, one can sympathise with the pair's best days being behind them at this point.

However, the same cannot be said for the Brazilian international, who should be at the peak of his powers at 28 years of age.

As recently as last season, the former Monaco lynchpin was considered as one of the best defensive midfielders in the world.

However, an alarming drop-off in Fabinho's athleticism has been evident this term, with his ability to cover the hard yards and screen the back four seemingly non-existent for Jurgen Klopp's side.

Especially in the case of any number six, a physical regression is perhaps the biggest warning sign that their time at the top may be coming to an end.

Considering the Reds' penchant for eyeing cut-price deals in the transfer market, a successor that ticks all the boxes needed to succeed Fabinho may very well be plying his trade in the Premier League.

Enter Palhinha

For anyone that still considers them unfamiliar with what makes Joao Palhinha one of the very best defensive midfielders in the Premier League, his all-conquering display in Fulham's 2-1 defeat to Manchester United was an insight into why he is a master of his position.

Against United, the Portuguese international made 9 tackles, the most out of any player in a single game in the league this season, as per Squawka via Twitter.

The numbers emphasise the 26-year old's incredible ability to mop up any signs of danger, as he singlehandedly kept Erik ten Hag's side at bay for a majority of the contest.

With Andreas Pereira and Tom Cairney pushing further forward, the onus was on Palhinha to snuff out any and every sign of danger and it's safe to say that he put in a display that would be akin to a vintage N'Golo Kante masterclass.

Even aside from the former Sporting CP anchor's masterful showing against the Red Devils, he has been borderline flawless defensively, winning the second most duels (32) out of any player in the league so far.

Considering Fabinho's athleticism has endured a rapid decline, it's safe to say that Palhinha is more than capable of replacing the engine he provides in the middle of the park.

A peek at the latter's passing numbers would be skewed in comparison to the former's, considering Liverpool still remain one of the best sides in the league.

The eye-test remains the best possible barometer of the Primeira Liga winner's comfortability in possession, and he is nothing short of a metronome.

Palhinha's ability to pick up the ball in the first phase, while remaining press resistant and ensuring Fulham can transition further forward without breaking a sweat is a sign that his on-the-ball qualities will translate successfully in a top side.

Liverpool should jump at the chance of signing him next summer

With Marco Silva's side completing his signature for £17.2 million (The Athletic) this summer, it would be a safe assumption to make that the club could let the ex-United target, as reported by the Daily Mail depart for slightly over double the price.

Considering Palhinha's true value remains double at least of the bargain at which he arrived for at West London, Jurgen Klopp's side should pounce at the opportunity of signing one of the best defensive midfielders in the Premier League.

Even if Fabinho recaptures the heights he has hit for Liverpool during the side's finest years in recent memory, the club's need for reinforcements in midfield such as Joao Palhinha continue to remain top priority.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/11/14/liverpool-should-eye-joao-palhinha-as-fabinho-replacement-our-view/

WhiteJC

Aleksandar Mitrovic would go to the World Cup 'without a LEG,' claims Serbia's manager... with the Fulham striker refusing to succumb to injury as he battles against a groin injury on the eve of the Qatar tournament

Aleksandar Mitrovic is out of Fulham's game against Man Utd this weekend
    Reports suggested the striker has been playing with two broken bones in his foot
    The injury means Mitrovic is a huge doubt for Serbia's opening game with Brazil
    Despite the injury the forward has been included in Serbia's World Cup squad

Serbia manager says Dragan Stojkovic says there is no way Aleksandr Mitrovic's injury problems will keep him away from the World Cup.,

Mitrovic could face a race against time to be fit for the start of the World Cup with reports claiming he has been playing on despite two broken bones in his foot since suffering the initial injury while on international duty during September.

He was unable to play against Manchester United on Sunday, heightening concerns that his tournament could be in jeopardy.

Aleksandar Mitrovic is out of Fulham's game this weekend is a now a World Cup injury doubt

But Stojkovic insists the issue is not significant enough to stop his country's star man.

'Mitrovic will go to the World Cup without a leg. We can even shorten his head,' he joked.

'We still have time to change some things, but I highly doubt there will be any.

'Mitrovic can go to Qatar with one foot, why not? To be unique with a player who plays with one leg, like no one else in the world.'

Mitrovic has continued his fine form when he has been able to play this season, scoring nine goals in 12 Premier League games.

The Fulham star has still been included in Serbia's squad for the World Cup later this month

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11427037/Aleksandar-Mitrovic-World-Cup-without-LEG-claims-Serbias-manager.html

WhiteJC

Fulham battle Aston Villa for Franck Kessie
Fulham will reportedly battle Aston Villa for Barcelona midfielder Franck Kessie, who could be up for sale in January.

According to Futbol Total, Franck Kessie could be the subject of interest from Premier League clubs Fulham and Aston Villa. The Barcelona midfielder could be up for sale in January as the Catalan outfit look to clear out unwanted stars and raise much-needed funds.

Barcelona continue to grab headlines from time to time for their financial troubles. But despite making a considerable outlay in the summer despite their issues, they also brought in a few players on Bosman deals.

Franck Kessie was one of the players that arrived on a free transfer. Andreas Christensen, Marcos Alonso, and Hector Bellerin were the others. The Ivorian midfielder was a coup after a terrific, title-winning campaign with AC Milan.

The primary idea for Barcelona was to integrate Kessie into the lineup and sell one of their other stars, such as Frenkie de Jong. The Dutch midfielder remained at the club despite the Catalans accepting a big Manchester United offer.

While de Jong has not been the preferred starter this season, he certainly is ahead of Kessie in the pecking order. Hence, the Ivorian midfielder has played just over 200 minutes spread across 7 league appearances. Barcelona could thus look to offload the former AC Milan talisman in January and raise some much-needed funds to balance their funds.

It is reported that Kessie is already looking to exit the club in January, with some interest coming from Premier League clubs. Fulham and Aston Villa are also said to remain interested.

Aston Villa have already made an offer for the Barcelona midfielder, as per the report, and Fulham have lodged their proposal. The Cottagers are reportedly willing to fork €19 million, including variables. Marco Silva is keen on adding to his squad in January after a mixed-bag start to the season.

Fulham could have an edge with their offer, as ASton Villa, under Unai Emery, could focus on strengthening other areas. The Midlands outfit have plenty of players in central midfield and could make do without a new addition in January. Emery is keen on bringing a few players from his old club Villarreal, including Pau Torres, to shore up the backline.

Barcelona could be open to dealing with these Premier League clubs at that price. They will make a massive profit six months after landing Kessie on a free transfer. Whether the midfielder is open to leaving a club of such magnitude and joining one of the two mid-table clubs in England could be questionable.

https://thehardtackle.com/transfer-news/2022/11/14/fulham-battle-aston-villa-for-franck-kessie/

WhiteJC

Fulham midfielder makes "best team" admission after last-gasp Manchester United defeat

Erik ten Hag's Man United side sealed a late, late win at Craven Cottage to sign off for the Premier League's World Cup break in style.

Fulham's Joao Palhinha has suggested the best team lost in their last-gasp defeat to Manchester United.

The Portuguese made the admission after watching the Cottagers suffer a heartbreaking loss to a Manchester side for the second week in succession.

Last week it was heartache at the Etihad whereas today it was United who inflicted the damage on Marco Silva's side. Alejandro Garnacho snatched a stoppage-time winner after Daniel James had cancelled out Christian Eriksen's opener.

United had gone ahead after 14 minutes when Christian Eriksen capitalised on a well-worked quick break from the visitors before slotting the ball into an empty net before Daniel James also struck from close range for a deserved leveller – the on-loan Leeds player's first goal of the season.

But Garnacho's late goal stole the points for United, who had been on the back foot for much of the second half. And, despite picking up the man-of-the-match award, 27-year-old midfielder Palhinha clearly didn't believe Erik ten Hag's side were worthy winners.

"No words can explain what me and my teammates feel in this moment," he told Sky Sports. "We are really disappointed with the result because I think we deserved to win this game.

"We did our best and we didn't deserve this result. But we need to keep strong. When you play a team like United, you know you need to be concentrated for the whole 90 minutes. It's the little details, you know?

"In the last minute, like against City. It's really disappointing. We will keep fighting and give our best for the rest of the season. Football is like this - sometimes the best team doesn't win."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-man-utd-premier-league-25507389

WhiteJC

Jack and Loz at the Cottage - Blog 231
Date: 13th November 2022

Opposition: Manchester United

Score: 1-2

Fulham goal scorer: Dan James

Weather: Luke warm

Atmosphere: white hot

Man of the Match: there was a moment during the second half when we turned to each other and said, "wow!" or it may have been "João!" as it can't be a coincidence that the two words sound so similar. Our awesome defensive midfielder had just made yet another double tackle, dumbfounding his opponents and bringing the home crowd to their feet. In football, it's usually a striker who catches the eye, a free kick taker full of flair, or a goalkeeper acrobatically keeping his side in the game. CDM is supposed to be a dull, anonymous position that no one really notices. But João Pahlinha brings an old-fashioned grit and glamour to the role. He takes you back to a time when footballers got mudded and blooded and carried on playing, when painful tackles were just part of the game. He is tough, passionate and driven. And loving life at Fulham.

Pre-match: Riverside Studios

Post-match: Wagamamas

A 4.30 kick off at Craven Cottage on Remembrance Sunday meant two things: that the words "At the going down of the sun," would be imbued with real meaning as the Last Post echoed around our characterful old ground, and the last Premier League match before the World Cup would be played with the added intensity that the Fulham floodlights always provide.

Tom Cairney led a depleted team onto the pitch, and the fact that he was leading it shows just how threadbare the line-up was. The team literally picked itself; Marco had no options. Mitro, as we know, has been struggling with an injury for some time and how that is managed (or exacerbated) by Serbia remains a concern. The absence of Kenny Tete (how has he played enough games to get 5 yellow cards?) meant that Bobby deCordova-Reid had to play right back as Mbabwho just isn't up to scratch meaning the only choice up front was Vinicius, an understudy with a lot to prove. Harrison Reed was the easiest absentee to replace and Tom's experience and commitment made up for Harrison's energy and drive.

In the first half, Fulham were the better team. United were struggling under a barrage of crosses and corners lofted in by Andreas Pereria, skimmed in by Willian or flung in by Antonee. The spirited attackers did everything but score and it has to be said that Mitro would have had a field day with the kind of service Vinicius was getting. Unfortunately, Man U had approximately two attacks and scored from one of them due to an administrative error in the Fulham defence.

In the second half, Fulham were also the better team. Pereria took so many corners he must have doubled his step count running from side to side to take them. Vinicius began to show us what he can do (and we're not sure if Mitro would have scored from his best chance either), Willian looked as smooth and stylish as ever, Tom was trying everything he knows and João almost pulled off an overhead kick. Man U were solid at the back and it felt like we could stretch them but they just wouldn't break.

Until Dan James came on.

We've been sceptical about Dan up to now. He's got pace and enthusiasm but it looked like he didn't have much else. The goal, however, was a revelation: Antonee to Willian to Tom to Dan to the back of the net. It wasn't a difficult finish but it was a good one and the strike gave him confidence to keep on trying. He trusts his pace and he used it well. We're looking forward to seeing a lot more of Dan in the second part of the season.

We haven't said much about the defence but this was a vintage performance from Captain America and another competent one from Leno. Diop, meanwhile, seems to improve every game. And have we mentioned how good Pahlinha is?

So. You're the manager of a promoted Premier League team which has confounded the critics and surpassed the fans' expectations (but probably not your own) and found itself comfortably mid-table just before an inconvenient World Cup break. For the second week in a row you're drawing 1-1 with a "better" club, there are 10 minutes to play and your team is fading fast. Your best player/main scorer/talisman is injured and your bench consists of midfielders of dubious repute, youngsters and experienced defenders. Do you a. Bring on old-hand Shane Duffy to shore up the defence and, as much as you hate to do it, play for a draw; or, b. Randomly bring on Josh Onomah?

We have very few criticisms of Marco Silva but sometimes, as the noted football pundit William Shakespeare said, discretion really is the better part of valour and the throw-everything-at-them tactics which worked against other mid table teams (most notably Brentford) aren't always the answer. There's no shame in settling for a point in some moments, as he might put it himself, and a little bit of game management can go a long way.

The team wanted to go out on a high and, in terms of performance, that's what they did. The late winner was heartbreaking after all the effort but the Fulham players can hold their heads up. They gave everything; no one could have done more.

Random musings:-

- We admire Marcus Rashford for his philanthropic work but was that 3 fake head injuries?! Please don't do that for England when we're actually supporting you

- And he wasn't the only dodgy person involved in the match - the ref was leaning so far towards United that it's surprising he could run around. What happened to the the 3 minutes of extra time after United scored? And he didn't know an amazing tackle when he saw one!

- There was a youth football feel to United with the centre back taking the goal kicks and the right back doing foul throws

- We hate to mention it, but this isn't the first time we've had to say that Josh Onomah is statuesque in the wrong way....

- As for Vinicius, we can't judge him too harshly just because he's not Mitro, but isn't being able to hold the ball up a centre forward requirement....?

- We're so pleased Andreas followed our suggestion about going blond again

- This was a real captain's performance from Tom, inspiring the team, running the midfield and leading the goal celebrations

- There were Man U fans everywhere. But it's an easy trip home to Guildford

This last week as a Fulham fan has been painful. We've been kicked in the guts and had ours heart broken, both twice over. But if we'd been told in August that we'd be 9th with 19 points at this stage in the season we wouldn't have believed it. The fact that we could have had a few more points and climbed a few more places is a positive not a negative. We have (almost) never been overrun or outclassed. The quality of our players is exceeded only by their spirit and commitment. They love playing for Fulham and we love watching them.

We wish Mitro, João, Dan, Harry, Tim and Antonee well in Qatar, and we wish the legs of our remaining wingers well in the friendly against West Ham. Mainly, we want everyone to come back on Boxing Day in one piece.

And then we carry on with this strange, congested season. We're under no illusions that we're safe or that it's going to be easy. But we know what this team, and this manager, can do. And we believe in them.

https://werdsmith.com/p/qBCXzQczRmvPM8