watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff - 20/11/22...

Started by WhiteJC, November 20, 2022, 09:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham owner Tony Khan admits he had to 'BEG' Aleksandar Mitrovic to stay last year... before the Serbian striker's record-breaking 43-GOAL season in the Championship led the club back to the Premier League

Fulham were relegated from the Premier League after the 2020-21 season
    Tony Khan wanted to keep Aleksandar Mitrovic, but had to convince him to stay
    Khan has admitted he had to 'beg' Mitrovic to sign a new contract at Fulham
    Mitrovic ended up staying, and went on to lead Fulham back to the top flight

Fulham owner Tony Khan has revealed he needed to convince Aleksandar Mitrovic to stay at the club last year after they dropped down into the Championship.

The west London club were relegated from the top flight in 2020-21 after finishing 11 points adrift of safety under Scott Parker.

After deciding to replace Parker with Marco Silva, Khan, who also owns wrestling company AEW, wanted to prioritise keeping Mitrovic at Craven Cottage, but has admitted that this was a tough task and he had to 'beg' the Serbian striker to stay before he signed his new contract.

Fulham owner Tony Khan (L) was desperate to keep Aleksandar Mitrovic at the club last year

Khan has admitted he had to 'beg' Mitrovic to sign a new contract with Fulham after relegation

'One of the most important things I think we did in the beginning, as we were making the transition with coaching, and right as Marco was coming in, I was working really hard to keep Mitro at the club. And I really basically had to beg him,' Khan said in an exclusive interview with Sportsmail.

'And even then he had to be re-committed to Fulham. He had to be re-committed and we had to find our way in the summer of 2021. 

'And I remember we'd been back on the road touring for AEW for a month, and I think I was in Houston on August 18, and I talked to Mitro in the dressing room, and I was just so excited because he'd just signed his new contract. 

'And I was like yelling, and people around the corner thought something was wrong. I was like: 'no, it's a good thing!''

Mitrovic went on to prove his value to Fulham the following season, scoring a record-breaking 43 goals in the Championship to help the club win the title and secure promotion back to the Premier League.

Mitrovic went on to star in the Championship, scoring 43 goals to lead Fulham to promotion

The 28-year-old has been a major hit at Fulham throughout his time at the club, scoring 105 goals in 189 appearances across all competitions.

Khan is preparing for AEW's last pay-per-view of the year on Saturday night when Full Gear goes down in Newark, New Jersey. The 40-year-old can give the show his full attention with the World Cup shutting down  

However, things could have been very different, as Khan has admitted it was a struggle convincing Newcastle to part ways with Mitrovic in 2018.

'When Mitro came over, that was one of the most important things I think we ever did,' Khan added.

'I think it was in January 2018, taking Mitro on loan from Newcastle, and then in the summer of 2018, people say I did a lot of crazy stuff in the summer of 2018, but I think one thing we definitely did right was purchase Mitro's contract from Newcastle.

'Believe me, it wasn't easy. Mike Ashley and I went head-to-head on that one, big time. That was a good thing we got it done.'

Since returning to the Premier League this season, Fulham have taken 19 points from their opening 15 games to sit ninth in the table as the domestic season pauses for the World Cup.

Fulham are thriving in the top flight, and Khan is pleased with the progress under Marco Silva

The Serbian forward is a combative presence when leading the line for the The Cottagers, but Khan won't be putting his prized asset in an AEW ring anytime soon.

'I was just sitting with Mitrovic and we were just talking a couple of weeks ago and I was telling him: 'Everywhere I go, people ask me about Mitro wrestling'. There really does have to be something to it. 

'But the last thing you ever want is for Mitro to get in the ring. It's a very physical sport, wrestling, and [to] pick up a knock... So maybe after the football days, I'd love to get Mitro in the ring.' 

Khan started All Elite Wrestling in January 2019 and the company has grown impressively

AEW Full Gear goes down this Saturday but there's no chance Mitrovic will get in an AEW ring!

Mitrovic has spearheaded the side's attack, scoring nine goals in 12 league matches, but has also been ably supported by the rest of the squad, and Khan is excited by the club's development. 

'It's tremendous to see the results this season have been strong, and we want to keep fighting. We have a lot of goals to hopefully achieve at the end of the season, and it's off to a very strong start,' he continued.

'We have learned a lot, but we've had some success over the years, and I think finding a way to make it translate to the Premier League and also managing to keep the stability in the squad while adding new faces, it's a challenge to find that balance, but I really believe we've found a great balance. 

'I think so many of the new players have come in and really helped the squad find their way in the Premier League. It's also been a huge effort from some of the players that have been with the squad, some of them for years. And it's really neat to see the evolution of the squad under Marco.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11438563/Fulham-owner-Tony-Khan-admits-BEG-Aleksandar-Mitrovic-stay-year.html

WhiteJC

Fulham U18s drawn at Rochdale in FA Youth Cup
Fulham's under 18s have been handed a trip to Rochdale in the third round of the FA Youth Cup.

Dale, who have beaten York City and Shrewsbury Town to progress to this stage, have confirmed that the fixture will need to be played prior to Saturday 17 December and will be open to supporters.

Ali Melloul's side will be hoping to start a strong Cup run having been eliminated in the third round by Everton in a five-goal thriller last season.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/11/fulham-u18s-drawn-at-rochdale-in-fa-youth-cup/

WhiteJC

Tony Khan: 'I had to beg Mitrovic to stay'
Fulham co-owner and director of football Tony Khan has told the Daily Mail that 'he had to beg' Aleksandar Mitrovic to stay at Craven Cottage after the Whites were relegated under Scott Parker.

Serbia's record international goalscorer looked set to leave SW6 after Fulham had dropped down to the Championship, with Parker playing brinkmanship between his then employers and AFC Bournemouth. In an interview to promote tonight's AEW pay-per-view show in Newark, Khan reveals that convincing the talismanic number nine to sign a new deal last summer was far from straightforward:

"One of the most important things I think we did in the beginning, as we were making the transition with coaching, and right as Marco [Silva] was coming in, I was working really hard to keep Mitro at the club. And I really basically had to beg him. And even then he had to be re-committed to Fulham. He had to be re-committed and we had to find our way in the summer of 2021. 

And I remember we'd been back on the road touring for AEW for a month, and I think I was in Houston on August 18, and I talked to Mitro in the dressing room, and I was just so excited because he'd just signed his new contract. And I was like yelling, and people around the corner thought something was wrong. I was like: 'no, it's a good thing!"

Khan, the son of chairman Shahid Khan, considers Mitrovic's arrival – initially on loan four years ago – at the Cottage and buying him from Newcastle after Slavisa Jokanovic's side secured promotion via the play-offs to be the most important signings he has made.

When Mitro came over, that was one of the most important things I think we ever did. I think it was in January 2018, taking Mitro on loan from Newcastle, and then in the summer of 2018, people say I did a lot of crazy stuff in the summer of 2018, but I think one thing we definitely did right was purchase Mitro's contract from Newcastle. Believe me, it wasn't easy. Mike Ashley and I went head-to-head on that one, big time. That was a good thing we got it done.

He is encouraged by Fulham's fine start under Silva this season, with six first-team players – including Mitrovic – poised to play for their countries at the World Cup, which kicks off in Qatar tomorrow.

It's tremendous to see the results this season have been strong, and we want to keep fighting. We have a lot of goals to hopefully achieve at the end of the season, and it's off to a very strong start. We have learned a lot, but we've had some success over the years, and I think finding a way to make it translate to the Premier League and also managing to keep the stability in the squad while adding new faces, it's a challenge to find that balance, but I really believe we've found a great balance. 

I think so many of the new players have come in and really helped the squad find their way in the Premier League. It's also been a huge effort from some of the players that have been with the squad, some of them for years. And it's really neat to see the evolution of the squad under Marco.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/11/tony-khan-i-had-to-beg-mitrovic-to-stay/

WhiteJC

Daniel James makes Leeds United exit claim and insists he has no regrets over Fulham move

Daniel James insists he has no regrets over his exit from Leeds United on deadline day as he aims to make an impact for Wales at the Qatar World Cup this month.

The winger joined Fulham on loan on September 1 having made 40 appearances for Leeds in all competitions, scoring four goals, following his move from Manchester United in the summer of 2021.

James has played eight times for the Cottagers since his switch to West London and scored his first goal for the club in the 2-1 loss to Man United in the final Premier League match until December 26.

Ahead of moving to Fulham, James admitted he had concerns over his game-time at Elland Road and was keen to make sure he would be involved with Wales in Qatar. He said it was "tough" leaving Leeds but feels he made the correct decision in joining Fulham.

"It's one of the pinnacles of my career," James told Wales Online about his involvement with his country in Qatar. "I wanted to play games and be fit coming into the tournament. It was always on my mind.

"I was there for a season (at Leeds) and really enjoyed it. I loved the place and my family loved it there. It was tough (to leave), it was deadline day and it was last minute.

"I was thinking about the World Cup and maybe I was going to get more game-time. That was always on my mind. I've never thought since that I've made the wrong decision. I still believe I made the right one."

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/daniel-james-makes-leeds-united-exit-claim-and-insists-he-has-no-regrets-over-fulham-move-3924587

WhiteJC

Inter & AC Milan Tracking Fulham Wingback Antonee Robinson, Italian Media Report

Inter and AC Milan are both interested in Fulham wingback Antonee Robinson.

This according to today's print edition of Turin-based newspaper Tuttosport, via FCInterNews, who report that the 25-year-old is among the profiles being looked at by the Nerazzurri to potentially replace Robin Gosens, whilst their city rivals are also tracking him.

US international Robinson has established himself as a regular in Fulham's starting eleven on their return to the Premier League.

The 25-year-old has put in a string of good performance as the London-based side have enjoyed a solid start to the campaign in the English top flight.

For this reason, he is one of the players on Inter's list of possible replacements at left-wingback in the event that Robin Gosens leaves and a new backup to Federico Dimarco is needed.

Meanwhile, Inter's city rivals the Rossoneri are also admirers of Robinson and are considering him as an option to reinforce their own left flank.

https://sempreinter.com/2022/11/19/inter-ac-milan-tracking-fulham-wingback-antonee-robinson-italian-media-report/

WhiteJC

Club to watch Fulham man at World Cup – Director in Qatar as he eyes 'market opportunity'

Inter Milan chief Piero Ausilio is set to watch Fulham's Antonee Robinson at the World Cup as he looks to bolster his side's full-back options.

That's according to Tuttosport, relayed by FC Inter 1908, who cover the director's trip to Qatar today and the plan to watch the Fulham man and several others.

They explain Inter's focus is on left and right backs in January and Ausilio plans to have a 'matchday binge' during his time in Qatar to scout potential players.

He is particularly focused on the left flank, particularly with a view to the summer when Robin Gosens could be on his way out. This could be sped up in January if a big offer arrives.

The sporting director is expected to be in the stands on Wednesday to watch Borna Sosa in Croatia's opener against Morocco but then on Monday he will be in attendance to watch the United States vs Wales.

That will be to watch Fulham defender Antonee Robinson, who 'fits the identikit' the club are looking at and was in AC Milan's sights in the past.

The 25-year-old has been a first-team regular for Marco Silva's side this season and his contract, which expires in 2024 and is yet to be renewed, 'makes him a market opportunity'.

If he were to not extend his deal at Craven Cottage he would enter next summer in the last year of his deal, meaning Fulham would be forced to sell to avoid losing him on a free from January 2024 when he would be free to negotiate a free transfer for the following summer.

Inter are interested either way and it seems Ausilio will be in attendance to watch him at the World Cup and keep track of his performances during the USA's time in Qatar after that.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/club-watch-fulham-man-world-cup-director-qatar-eyes-market-opportunity/

WhiteJC

West Ham United could reignite Tosin Adarabioyo interest with £16m move on the cards

West Ham United could reignite interest in Fulham defender Tosin Adarabioyo with David Moyes a big fan of the 25-year-old, according to Claret and Hugh.

Claret and Hugh have previously suggested (15 February) the club were eyeing a £22million summer move for Adarabioyo.

It appears their interest in the defender hasn't waned with it now being suggested (C&H, 19 November) the Hammers could move for the Fulham man, in a deal worth £16million.

Adarabioyo's contract comes to a close in the summer of 2023, although Fulham do hold an option for a further year, although a deal will only be done if the board trust Moyes to complete more business.

Value
Signing Adarabioyo for a cut-price fee would be excellent work by West Ham, with the Fulham defender adapting well to life in the Premier League. Another central defender could well be needed with Craig Dawson set to depart the club in January.

Dawson has been a superb servant for the Hammers since his move in 2021, but ultimately falling down the pecking order and wanting to move back closer to his family means his future will lie away from the London Stadium.

It will be an intriguing January transfer window for the club with Moyes certainly feeling the pressure from the board and fans at the London Stadium. With over £150million spent in the summer window, it remains to be seen if the club will back the Scot again.

Considering their low league position, investment in January is looking like a must.

Moyes has to turn things around and fast if he wants to stay in the dugout at the London Stadium.

https://www.westhamzone.com/players/west-ham-united-could-reignite-tosin-adarabioyo-interest-with-16m-move-on-the-cards/

WhiteJC

3 Under-Rated Players To Look Out For In The 2022 FIFA World Cup Including Fulham's Mitrovic

The kick-off of the 2022 FIFA World Cup is just a few hours away as the competition takes place for the first time in the Middle East. 32 top nations of the world are preparing themselves to leave it all on the line in their quest to become the new world champions.

Before the grand event opens, let's take a look at three underrated players who could shine in this edition of the FIFA World Cup.

Aleksandar Mitrović (Serbia)
The 28-year-old is having a terrific season at Fulham after putting in a handful of fruitful displays while acting as the spearhead of their attack. Mitrovic has found the back of the net on nine occasions in 12 matches for the Cottagers during this campaign across multiple competitions.

Hence, we can expect him to play a crucial role for Serbia when the World Cup gets underway on November 20. Mitrovic will probably get the nod to start in all of the European country's matches in the tournament. Based on his form this season, he could do well for Serbia by banging in some important goals for them in the group stages.

Christian Eriksen (Denmark)
Eriksen has enjoyed an impressive season at Old Trafford as he has been responsible for putting in a run of solid performances at the centre of Manchester United's midfield. The 30-year-old has scored one time and picked up six assists in 20 appearances for the Red Devils during this campaign across various competitions. He is averaging 1.5 shots and 1.4 key passes per game in Premier League football (stats via whoscored).

If Eriksen can continue to perform at a high level, he is definitely good enough to help Denmark go on a long run in this year's World Cup. The talented playmaker has already represented his nation in 117 matches, scoring 39 goals in the process so far. His experience and current form make him a player to keep an eye on during the tournament.

Takumi Minamino (Japan)
The former Liverpool talent is currently playing for AS Monaco in France. However, he has struggled to find consistency with his productivity on the attacking end of the field. Minamino has found the back of the net once and earned three assists in 14 matches for the French club this season across all competitions.

We can expect him to play a big role for Japan when the World Cup kicks off soon. Minamino has netted 17 goals in 44 international appearances for his nation and will be an underrated player to watch out for in Qatar.

https://the4thofficial.net/2022/11/3-under-rated-players-to-look-out-for-in-the-2022-fifa-world-cup-including-fulhams-mitrovic/

WhiteJC

Time to take the stage
Today's a special day. While the eyes of the footballing world will be on Qatar, something seismic will take place in SW6. Fulham's first women's fixture at Craven Cottage in more than two decades sees Steve Jaye's side face AFC Wimbledon in the Capital Cup. Given that the Whites were England's first professional side, who set the game alight just after the millennium by ending Arsenal's ascendancy before the Football Association failed to deliver on their pledge to fund a full-time top flight, Fulham fans have been waiting for this for a long time.

The fact that the women's side is still standing, after Mohamed Al-Fayed pulled his funding, and the team was twice dissolved before being re-established as part of the award-winning Fulham Foundation, is quite something. Brought back under the auspices of the football club following an academy reorganisation two years ago, the once-all conquering Fulham team have had to begin at the bottom. They benefit from a great training ground at Motspur Park – where home matches are usually staged on Sundays – and the support of Shahid Khan, chief executive Alistair Mackintosh, head of football development Huw Jennings and his colleagues in the academy – but the players remain part-time and are currently in the fifth tier.

Even today's opposition, the by-product of a Cup draw, couldn't be more appropriate. The original Friends of Fulham ladies outfit, improbable FA Cup winners back in 1985, moved to Wimbledon for a more sustainable future. AFC Wimbledon, famously founded by their fans after the FA opined that retaining the identity stolen by a franchise 'was not in the wider interests of football,' are making their own way forward in the women's game – with strong support from their supporters' trust. Many of the players in white this afternoon, including the three interviewees on the Green Pole podcast this week, played for the Dons. The two sides contested a spirited pre-season draw in July, but for all the romance of Fulham's return home, no quarter will be given when the whistle blows. Kevin Foster's team are on a fine run of form and will relish their role as party-poopers.

And a party it should be. The summer showed that women are elite sports performances, worthy of their place in the main stage. They are no longer playing sport to offer representation and inspiration but as athletes in their own right. The England women's cricket team showcased their style in winning the World Cup on a memorable summer evening at Lord's in 2019 and the Red Roses came agonisingly close to defending their world title in Auckland only a week or so ago. There should be no barriers to success on account of gender – and the myths about women's football have been broken down dramatically over the past year.

Fulham's team might not be professional but you'd never know it. They have immense pride in wearing the shirt and are a cracking bunch of characters. There is a togetherness and tenacity that you can only admire, especially as Jaye's team play with style as well as a smile. Perhaps most importantly for all us who used to stand at the Hammersmith End: they are led by one of our own. Captain Mary Southgate is a lifelong Fulham fan and one of the moments of last season was seeing her carry the men's Championship trophy onto the hallowed turf. As well as being a ball-playing centre back in the mould of Tim Ream, Mary is a P.E. teacher, spending her time education and empowering a new generation.

There's a broader context to this afternoon's action at the Cottage. The Fulham Lillies – launched earlier this season – now give female Fulham fans a place to organise. The Fulham Foundation, who don't get the publicity their groundbreaking work deserves, are aiming to make sure that 40% of their programme participants are female come the summer. Given that the women's game was banned for half a century and that opportunities to play sport are still limited for young girls in the state school system in London, what better showcase is there than this afternoon for London's oldest professional club to turn the spotlight onto women's football at their historic home. We've been waiting far too long. I know the girls won't let us down.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/11/time-to-take-the-stage/

Bill2

Quote from: whitejc on November 20, 2022, 09:41:31 AM
Club to watch Fulham man at World Cup – Director in Qatar as he eyes 'market opportunity'

Inter Milan chief Piero Ausilio is set to watch Fulham's Antonee Robinson at the World Cup as he looks to bolster his side's full-back options.

That's according to Tuttosport, relayed by FC Inter 1908, who cover the director's trip to Qatar today and the plan to watch the Fulham man and several others.

They explain Inter's focus is on left and right backs in January and Ausilio plans to have a 'matchday binge' during his time in Qatar to scout potential players.

He is particularly focused on the left flank, particularly with a view to the summer when Robin Gosens could be on his way out. This could be sped up in January if a big offer arrives.

The sporting director is expected to be in the stands on Wednesday to watch Borna Sosa in Croatia's opener against Morocco but then on Monday he will be in attendance to watch the United States vs Wales.

That will be to watch Fulham defender Antonee Robinson, who 'fits the identikit' the club are looking at and was in AC Milan's sights in the past.

The 25-year-old has been a first-team regular for Marco Silva's side this season and his contract, which expires in 2024 and is yet to be renewed, 'makes him a market opportunity'.

If he were to not extend his deal at Craven Cottage he would enter next summer in the last year of his deal, meaning Fulham would be forced to sell to avoid losing him on a free from January 2024 when he would be free to negotiate a free transfer for the following summer.

Inter are interested either way and it seems Ausilio will be in attendance to watch him at the World Cup and keep track of his performances during the USA's time in Qatar after that.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/club-watch-fulham-man-world-cup-director-qatar-eyes-market-opportunity/
Think he is having a great season with his pace and attacking flair. Feel we face more of a threat from other Prem clubs than the European ones.
If he has good World Cup and scores a few goals in the second half of the season expect some clubs to come sniffing around.

Fulham 442

Quote from: Bill2 on November 20, 2022, 11:50:11 AM
Quote from: whitejc on November 20, 2022, 09:41:31 AM

Think he is having a great season with his pace and attacking flair. Feel we face more of a threat from other Prem clubs than the European ones.
If he has good World Cup and scores a few goals in the second half of the season expect some clubs to come sniffing around.
Sadly as things stand we will always have other clubs sniffing around our players...