watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army- From the mess.

Started by bog, December 12, 2022, 10:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

This may be of interest to some. On the Talking Pictures Channel they often have a bit called 'The Footage Detectives.' Yesterday I caught a part where they had invited school children who had had days out in their yoof to write in with their recollections. One wrote: 'I will never forget my Dad taking me to Wembley as an 8 year on the 15th April in 1950. This was to the see the schoolboys international, England v Scotland. England won 8-2 and that was the first time I saw the brilliance of Johnny Haines* who went on to play for Fulham and the full England side. I have never forgotten that day.'

For a second I hoped they had found some very rare footage but no such luck. Still, good to hear Johnny recalled when so unexpectedly.   :54:   

One of my prized FFC possessions is a programme for that long gone day and for the return up in Scotland soon after.

*That was the writer's spelling not mine.

Thank you and good night.

092.gif

filham

Hard to say when Haynes was at his peak, best I can say is that it was from that Schoolboy international until his car accident in Blackpool.

f bloke

In the early/mid 90's I spent some months working abroad on a particular project - I spent a considerable amount of time with the person leading the project since we were both living out of the same hotel. In his youth he had been a very good footballer (inside left in old money) and on Arsenal's books.  He was in the wider England squad for that game and watched from the bench.  After seeing Haynes play that day he thought to himself if that is the standard required to make it - he ain't going to make it.  He told me this story before he knew I was a Fulham fan.  As it turned out he got a job working in the back office for a firm of City stockbrokers- made partner and earned far more money than he would having played football.

For those yet to find it - there is a YouTube site called theheavyroller that has extended clips of many England games from the mid 50's to the early 60's - Haynes features heavily in many of them.

ianthailand

Quote from: bog on December 12, 2022, 10:05:38 AM
This may be of interest to some. On the Talking Pictures Channel they often have a bit called 'The Footage Detectives.' Yesterday I caught a part where they had invited school children who had had days out in their yoof to write in with their recollections. One wrote: 'I will never forget my Dad taking me to Wembley as an 8 year on the 15th April in 1950. This was to the see the schoolboys international, England v Scotland. England won 8-2 and that was the first time I saw the brilliance of Johnny Haines* who went on to play for Fulham and the full England side. I have never forgotten that day.'

For a second I hoped they had found some very rare footage but no such luck. Still, good to hear Johnny recalled when so unexpectedly.   :54:   

One of my prized FFC possessions is a programme for that long gone day and for the return up in Scotland soon after.

092.gif

Wrap up warm Mr. Bog or as your wife probably says "wrap up"

bog

Quote from: ianthailand on December 12, 2022, 12:15:23 PM

092.gif

You still lording about your warm weather? Haven't you got anything better to do? Like topping up your tan?

ianthailand

Quote from: bog on December 12, 2022, 01:23:17 PM
Quote from: ianthailand on December 12, 2022, 12:15:23 PM

092.gif

You still lording about your warm weather? Haven't you got anything better to do? Like topping up your tan?
I'm white as a sheet young man. Don't lay in the sun very much surprisingly. By the way it's just after midnight and it's 26C. Lovely jubbly!!!

bog

You as white as a sheet? Have you just opened your next electric bill? And me young?

092.gif

ianthailand

Quote from: bog on December 13, 2022, 03:17:36 PM
You as white as a sheet? Have you just opened your next electric bill? And me young?

092.gif
Don't know how prices compare but i paid 800 Baht (20GBP) last month in Sangkha whereas the wife paid over 150 GBP in Samrong. Emma has big son full time, small son weekends + friends son full time in Samrong. Cooking is done using Gas Cylinders. Air Con is on a fair chunk of time. Bill is usually near the 125 GBP mark. Don't know if that gives you any idea.
I put you down more as young Pike than the Captain - Stupid Boy - only joking.