News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wouldn't it be nice to have a proper English national anthem.

Started by Southdowns White, November 26, 2022, 03:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southdowns White

I would love English People to have their own national anthem, we are stuck with God save the King/Queen, an anthem not related directly to England. We need an anthem to celebrate England as a country and English pride in our country at sporting events, I think it would really galvanise the supporters just as the Welsh, Irish and Scottish anthems do. I'm not saying do away with the National anthem when it comes to Royal or Union occasions or possibly at events such as the Olympics. Many people do not find the royal family inspirational or worthy of the god like worship they get, saying that I wouldn't want to do their job.

SG

Quote from: Southdowns White on November 26, 2022, 03:18:59 PM
I would love English People to have their own national anthem, we are stuck with God save the King/Queen, an anthem not related directly to England. We need an anthem to celebrate England as a country and English pride in our country at sporting events, I think it would really galvanise the supporters just as the Welsh, Irish and Scottish anthems do. I'm not saying do away with the National anthem when it comes to Royal or Union occasions or possibly at events such as the Olympics. Many people do not find the royal family inspirational or worthy of the god like worship they get, saying that I wouldn't want to do their job.

Agree entirely. Land of Hope and Glory or Jerusalem would be my choices

Somerset Fulham

alfie

Quote from: SG on November 26, 2022, 03:40:49 PM

Jerusalem for me, something a bit uplifting.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Neil D

I would happily ditch the Windsor / Saxe-Coburg anthem - unsurprisingly perhaps as I am a republican. But it really is an awful, soulless dirge. I'm an atheist too but I find the hymn Jerusalem altogether inspiring.

Holders

The present anthem is a dreary dirge and lauds a deity and monarch above the native land. In these more enlightened times we should have a secular, uplifting anthem yet every time this subject is raised the suggestion more often or not is Jerusalem!
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

filham

Quote from: alfie on November 26, 2022, 04:16:03 PM

Jerusalem for me, something a bit uplifting.
[/quoteGreat idea

Great idea, "I Vow To Thee MY Country", would be my choice.

Mince n Tatties

Stoneleigh Loyalist

I agree with I Vow to Thee My Country.
On a technical point Jerusalem is not a hymn I suppose you should  call it a song. Although sung in churches you will not find it in any of the established hymn books and we had it at our wedding.
No doubt someone will prove me wrong!

alfie

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on November 26, 2022, 05:08:38 PM
On a technical point Jerusalem is not a hymn I suppose you should  call it a song. Although sung in churches you will not find it in any of the established hymn books and we had it at our wedding.
What's the difference between a hymn and a song, and who decides what song is a hymm ?

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Mince n Tatties

Steeeeeeeeeed

The anthem should be Eng-Ger-Land, Eng-Ger-Land, Eng-Ger-Land ENG GER LAND  :wine:

Neil D

Quote from: alfie on November 26, 2022, 05:10:08 PM
What's the difference between a hymn and a song, and who decides what song is a hymm ?

Accordin to Wikipedia some clerics believe a hymn must directly address the Big Dude upstairs which Jerusalem does not so not a hymn.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Neil D on November 26, 2022, 04:21:54 PM
I would happily ditch the Windsor / Saxe-Coburg anthem - unsurprisingly perhaps as I am a republican. But it really is an awful, soulless dirge. I'm an atheist too but I find the hymn Jerusalem altogether inspiring.

I too am a 'devout' atheist and having just re-read the lyrics to Jerusalem, they are pure speculation, including the fact that Jesus supposedly visited England.
In my opinion, and I'm not decrying peoples' beliefs, I think, but the words are mumbo jumbo.
How could Jerusalem be built on England's 'green and pleasant land' ?
I know this is nothing to do with Fulham, but as far as Jerusalem is concerned, the actual 'tune'
is magnificent, as is Rule Britannia, but of course we don't "Rule the waves anymore"
Another option would be "Land of Hope and Glory" with tweeks
Note my leaning to the Last Night of the Proms.

VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

General

I'm not too fussed about what our national anthem is per se, though if people made horrendous suggestions I'd be against it.

That being said, one thing I would love is if we followed the route of the south african national anthem which I think is one of the best out there. It encorporates 5 of south Africa's most commonly spoken languages.

Why not have a national anthem that sees everyone speak a bit of Welsh, Scottish, Irish and English. That'd be brilliant in my opinion. Definitely along lines of United Kingdom.

Rupert

Quote from: rogerpbackinMidEastUS on November 26, 2022, 05:40:54 PM

I too am a 'devout' atheist and having just re-read the lyrics to Jerusalem, they are pure speculation, including the fact that Jesus supposedly visited England.
In my opinion, and I'm not decrying peoples' beliefs, I think, but the words are mumbo jumbo.
I know this is nothing to do with Fulham, but as far as Jerusalem is concerned, the actual 'tune'
is magnificent, as is Rule Britannia, but of course we don't "Rule the waves anymore"

I believe the Jerusalem referred to is the concept of a holy and eternal city. Somewhere where everyone is happy and has all they need and there is no suffering or injustice.

Mumbo jumbo in some peoples eyes, something to aspire to in others.

I have always thought Land of Hope and Glory was the English anthem, but as a rule we are very bad at being proud of our Englishness.

The story of Jesus visiting England with his uncle Joseph of Aramathea (I might have spelt that wrong) is almost certainly a myth, but it made medieval Englishmen happy, so why knock it?
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

RaySmith

Quote from: rogerpbackinMidEastUS on November 26, 2022, 05:40:54 PM

It was originally a poem by William Blake, written at the start of the 19thC - he was concerned about the effects of the Industrial Revolution -'These dark, Satanic mills,' and harked back to the legend of Jesus visiting England, as you say.

The idea of 'Jerusalem being built in England's green and pleasant land', though literally unlikely, like Jesus visiting the country, does have the optimistic idea of a far better society being created here, a utopia, and is anthemic, and great to sing, I think- a  bit like 'Al Fayed take us back, to a place we call home', which envisages the Cottage as  a magical , Utopian sort of place by the historic River Thames - which it is, of course!

You don't have to be religious to like the song -I'm not.

As for Land of Hope and Glory, well it does refer to the, long gone, British Empire, and England as 'Mother of the free,' ruling over all its subjects, and has a bombastic tone and tune, and is usually sung at Last night of the Proms.

I far prefer Jerusalem as an anthem, and it is an unofficial anthem, often sung at sporting events, anyway.

Somerset Fulham

Don't they sing Jerusalem at England rugby union internationals and test cricket?

alfie

Quote from: Neil D on November 26, 2022, 05:40:20 PM
Quote from: alfie on November 26, 2022, 05:10:08 PM

Accordin to Wikipedia some clerics believe a hymn must directly address the Big Dude upstairs which Jerusalem does not so not a hymn.
Thank you
Story of my life
Sadly she wasn't

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

And was the holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES