News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wouldn't it be nice to have a proper English national anthem.

Started by Southdowns White, November 26, 2022, 03:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colton F.C.

'Bring me my bow of burning gold!
Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear: o clouds unfold!
Bring me my chariots of fire!'

Not sure about these lyrics. its a bit like 'Lucy in the sky with diamonds'

gang

Jerusalem was not written in praise of England, it is a criticism of the times and attitudes, funny how things don't change.

LC

God save the king/queen is a uniquely English/British anthem and should remain

Southdowns White

Quote from: LC on November 26, 2022, 07:49:12 PM
God save the king/queen is a uniquely English/British anthem and should remain
British and the commonwealth, not an anthem of England exclusively. I would like something that does not refer to god, religion or praise an individual person but is inclusive of all the people who are proud to call England home.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Southdowns White on November 26, 2022, 03:18:59 PM
I would love English People to have their own national anthem, we are stuck with God save the King/Queen, an anthem not related directly to England. We need an anthem to celebrate England as a country and English pride in our country at sporting events, I think it would really galvanise the supporters just as the Welsh, Irish and Scottish anthems do. I'm not saying do away with the National anthem when it comes to Royal or Union occasions or possibly at events such as the Olympics. Many people do not find the royal family inspirational or worthy of the god like worship they get, saying that I wouldn't want to do their job.

I totally agree, England should have its own national anthem like everyone else.
God Save the King is a complete uninspiring dirge.
It's about one privileged person, yes one privileged individual living in splendour.
The National Anthem should be about our country England.

My choice would be " I VOW TO THEE MY COUNTRY ".

God save the King is sick bucket stuff that nobody i know wants to sing, and certain not our sports men and women because it does not represent our country, so that is why they are reluctant to sing this garbage, totally uninspiring.

Why should the other three home countries have their own anthems and England does not, because GSTK is for GB and it represents the privileged plummy voiced British, and not the English.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Free Elvis Hammond

Quote from: gang on November 26, 2022, 07:24:39 PM
Jerusalem was not written in praise of England, it is a criticism of the times and attitudes, funny how things don't change.

That's right, Blake was fiercely anti-establishment, and I don't see how you could ever have that in a national anthem. I think the fact the song (written about a hundred years later) is such a belter means people overlook that

Thamesbank

H4usuallysitting

Agadoo for me....A timeless classic

BestOfBrede

filham

cmg

Quote from: Free Elvis Hammond on November 26, 2022, 09:20:07 PM

That's right, Blake was fiercely anti-establishment, and I don't see how you could ever have that in a national anthem. I think the fact the song (written about a hundred years later) is such a belter means people overlook that

I've always thought a number with the name of another nation's capital a rather odd choice as a national anthem (although, of course, it wasn't when Blake wrote it). Blake, a genius but something of a weirdo, certainly wrote the poem in dissatisfaction with the current state of the nation.
He actually wrote a rather more powerful criticism, entitled, 'London'.
>https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/43673/london-56d222777e969<

Holders

Try as I might, and I thought I knew music, I can't think of a suitable patriotic English song. There's a dearth that the other home nations don't have. This must be the reason all along that no alternative has been adopted. Jerusalem - no, obviously. I vow to thee my country all earthly things above - I cannot do that, there's far too much wrong with it. LOHAG - lovely tune but too imperialistic for these times.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: LC on November 26, 2022, 07:49:12 PM
God save the king/queen is a uniquely  and should remain

"I Vow To Thee My Country" fantastic but it's also very much an American patriotic song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS8W2at3TUs
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Rupert

There'll always be an England,
And England shall be free
If England means as much to you
As England means to me

Perfect for England, and anyone who does not like it can be legitimately chained to Vera Lynn's statue in Dover (once it is erected) and stoned to death as a damned foreigner.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Snibbo

[/url]

Twig

I don't understand why so many people want an English anthem. I am proud to be British and happy to have a British anthem. And whilst there are valid arguments for replacing or updating the existing one, good luck with convincing the electorate!  Personally I find this obsession with "Englishness" all a tiny bit small minded but I accept that's perhaps just me.

Fernhurst

Quote from: Twig on November 27, 2022, 12:51:53 AM
I don't understand why so many people want an English anthem. I am proud to be British and happy to have a British anthem. And whilst there are valid arguments for replacing or updating the existing one, good luck with convincing the electorate!  Personally I find this obsession with "Englishness" all a tiny bit small minded but I accept that's perhaps just me.

Quite agree, worried how this board is slididing to the right.

Will always be British, Nationalism is awful, look at The SNP
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

scotto2000

Quote from: cmg on November 26, 2022, 10:23:17 PM
Quote from: Free Elvis Hammond on November 26, 2022, 09:20:07 PM
Jerusalem is not recognised as the capital of another nation by the British government and most of the world.

I've always thought a number with the name of another nation's capital a rather odd choice as a national anthem (although, of course, it wasn't when Blake wrote it). Blake, a genius but something of a weirdo, certainly wrote the poem in dissatisfaction with the current state of the nation.
He actually wrote a rather more powerful criticism, entitled, 'London'.
>https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/43673/london-56d222777e969<

Holders

There's a clear distinction between patriotism (Latin patria - native land) and xenophobic nationalism which can tend to spelling with a 'z'.

In trying to work out why other nations (Ireland, Scotland and Wales) have suitable "anthems" and England doesn't, it seems to stem from the others being the junior parts of the Union and/or needing to express their individuality and pride. England has a no less rich musical heritage but the dominant player in the Union did not feel the need (or chose not to) to express such pride, for want of a better word. Ireland and Scotland have many such songs. I can't speak Welsh but I suspect just as many and I saw a translation of Land Of My Fathers the other day and the words are good.

However, after a great deal of thought I have at last found a suitable English anthem. A catchy tune and the words are timeless and equally apposite today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R9kWdERx7s

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

alfie

Quote from: Fernhurst on November 27, 2022, 02:32:18 AM
Quote from: Twig on November 27, 2022, 12:51:53 AM

Quite agree, worried how this board is slididing to the right.

Will always be British, Nationalism is awful, look at The SNP
Not a question of sliding to the right, why do Scotland, Wales and NI have their own anthems, simple really, they are not interested in being British. GSTK is fine when we are operating as a team Olympics for instance, but not when we are standing alone.

For myself I am English first, British second, always have been always will be.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't