watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Stoppage time at World Cup

Started by Slaphead in Qatar, November 24, 2022, 04:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slaphead in Qatar

seems like there is now a crack down on time wasting and other stoppages. Lots of time being added on at end of each half at world cup so far.

I for one think its a good idea - and i hope they bring this into the Premier League.

legana

Except if we are one goal up after 90 mins!

It does seem like a good idea and hopefully cracks down on timewasting.

Slaphead in Qatar

Quote from: legana on November 24, 2022, 04:25:56 PM
Except if we are one goal up after 90 mins!

It does seem like a good idea and hopefully cracks down on timewasting.

plus fans get their moneys worth - see a full 90 mins of football in theory

Whitesideup

Back in a day, matches were played with one ball which had to be returned from the crowd.  Now there are balls everywhere, so the ball is back in play in a second or two. This in itself will have added playing time as only in extreme circumstances would time have been added.

But the principle of adding time when deliberately wasted when the ball is out of play, be it for injuries, goal-kicks, free-kicks or throw-ins is, I would have thought, already within the remit of the referee. It may just be that they are making a much more conscious effort to record that time. And one of the halves of a game today had just one minute of added time ...

But if the point is, yes, let's be stricter on adding time for stoppages, generally I'd agree. As others have just said, unless we are a goal ahead...

fulhamfan

i think the stoppage time thing has been a great idea . i hope the premier league follows suit

Fulham Tup North

Stopping the back pass rule was excellent... players passing back to their keeper who picked it up, bounced it a few times, rolled it back out again and got it played back to them... picked it up, bouned it over and over...
This extra, extra time is excellent...👍
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

filham

Of course some of the time is added due to the increased number of substitutions which is also justified.

Plodder

An idea worth considering is to have a separate time-keeper, as in rugby union.  When the referee says "Time off", the time-keeper stops the clock, and only restarts it when the referee says "Time on".  The clock is visible to players, the crowd in the ground and the TV audience.  That way, everyone knows how long has been played and how long there is to go.  One argument against is that it takes brave refereeing to call "Time off" when players are lingering over throw-ins, free kicks and goal kicks, and in football, I don't think the current crop of referees are brave enough to follow this through consistently, and the culture in football would have to adapt.

Whatever the methodology, it is good to see a proper amount of added time being allocated.  I hope this continues, although these initiatives tend to fade quite quickly e.g. an edict a few years ago about punishments for teams whose players surrounded a referee in protesting against a decision..

Slaphead in Qatar

Iran scored on 90 + 11 yesterday  :005:

Asotosyios

We are not going to see this in the Premier League any time soon or at least this season.

From SkySports:
The Premier League will not be adopting the FIFA policy that has seen so much added time in games.

The PL /PGMOL preference is still to encourage more "ball in-play time", particularly around goal kicks, free kicks, throw-ins and substitutions.

FulhamKC

Quote from: Plodder on November 25, 2022, 04:58:07 PM
An idea worth considering is to have a separate time-keeper, as in rugby union.  When the referee says "Time off", the time-keeper stops the clock, and only restarts it when the referee says "Time on".  The clock is visible to players, the crowd in the ground and the TV audience.  That way, everyone knows how long has been played and how long there is to go.  One argument against is that it takes brave refereeing to call "Time off" when players are lingering over throw-ins, free kicks and goal kicks, and in football, I don't think the current crop of referees are brave enough to follow this through consistently, and the culture in football would have to adapt.

Whatever the methodology, it is good to see a proper amount of added time being allocated.  I hope this continues, although these initiatives tend to fade quite quickly e.g. an edict a few years ago about punishments for teams whose players surrounded a referee in protesting against a decision..

There is some talk of having each half be 30 minutes where the clock stops when the ball is out of play or when otherwise stopped by the ref.

Black, White and Fred

I think it's been great, no more players just sitting on the ground to kill a few minutes. Gets ridiculous when watching the prem. They should follow suit IMO.
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: Black, White and Fred on November 26, 2022, 07:59:21 PM
I think it's been great, no more players just sitting on the ground to kill a few minutes. Gets ridiculous when watching the prem. They should follow suit IMO.

I agree. It has also somehow added even more tension to the end of a game.

However, the Premier League have already confirmed they aren't enertaining it, sadly.

Stevieboy

So basically, a relatively simple idea which doesn't tamper with existing laws, which gives supporters who pay extortionate amounts of money for a ticket more value for money won't be adopted by the dinosaurs of the FA ?
Says so much about attitudes to fans.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

With Englands version of Parkerball against the USA there should be a rule about the number of times that two players can pas they ball to each other without going forward!
I am sure that a new record was made last Friday evening