watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff - 03/12/22...

Started by WhiteJC, December 03, 2022, 12:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Charlton Athletic handed boost ahead of Cheltenham clash as Ben Garner issues update on duo

Charlton Athletic manager Ben Garner has revealed that Steven Sessegnon and Craig MacGillivray will both be available for selection this evening when his side take on Cheltenham Town in League One.

Sessegnon was withdrawn in the second half of last weekend's FA Cup clash with Stockport County after sustaining cramp in this clash.

MacGillivray meanwhile has not played for Charlton since suffering concussion in their meeting with Burton Albion last month.

In the absence of the goalkeeper, Garner has turned to Ashley Maynard-Brewer and Nathan Harness for inspiration in the club's recent fixtures.

Charlton will be looking to get back to winning ways in League One at The Valley tonight following their recent defeat to Port Vale.

Currently 14th in the third-tier standings, the Addicks will need to start to pick up positive results on a regular basis in order to stay in the race for a top-six finish.

Ahead of tonight's clash, Garner has issued an update on Sessegnon and MacGillivray.

Speaking to London News Online, the Charlton boss said: "Sess is fine.

"That was cramp in his hamstring.

"That is really good news that is all it was.

"Craig is fine.

"He has trained all week.

"He trained a couple of days at the end of last week and followed the protocol.

"He has trained all week and been absolutely fine.

"He's fit and available."

The Verdict
This is a boost for Charlton as both Sessegnon and MacGillivray have illustrated during their respective careers that they are capable of delivering the goods at this level.

Since sealing a loan move to the Addicks earlier this year, Sessegnon has managed to make an average of 1.7 tackles and 1.4 interceptions (as per WhoScored) in the 13 league games that he has participated in.

As for MacGillivray, the goalkeeper knows exactly what it takes to compete in the third-tier as he has featured in 179 games in this division.

Providing that Sessegnon and MacGillivray are both firing on all cylinders this evening, they could potentially help Charlton secure a morale-boosting victory in front of their own supporters.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/charlton-athletic-handed-boost-ahead-of-cheltenham-clash-as-ben-garner-issues-update-on-duo/

WhiteJC

Charlie Robinson: The Story So Far

After a couple of excellent seasons across our Under-18 and Under-21 age groups, highly talented young centre-back Charlie Robinson spoke to fulhamfc.com about his successes and struggles over the years.

How are you doing?
I'm all good thanks. It's been a bit strange recently having no league games, because if I'm honest they're probably more competitive. We've got Premier League Cup games still going on at the moment and we're doing really well in our group.

I'm still getting plenty of good work done, so it's not too bad.

You've been at Fulham since Under-9s. How much have you enjoyed your journey through our Academy so far?
 It feels like it's been such a long time, but it's been really positive the whole way through.

A lot of the coaches that I had even back then are still around now. Andrew Watt is still here and Andrew Joslin has also progressed through the ranks at the Club alongside me, which is nice.

You start to get to know everyone and you feel like a part of the furniture here.

When did you first realise that football was what you wanted to pursue?
I remember when I first got scouted for the Development Centre and at that point I didn't even own a pair of football boots. I thought, I might as well just go down there and see what it's about. I never played Sunday League or anything like that, so this was essentially my first step onto the ladder.

My parents and brother always liked football and we always watched it at home. There was never really a time when I was like, 'this is what I want to do.' I just gradually progressed through.

Whilst growing up in Brixton, where you still live today, how supportive were your parents when it came to your football development?
Really, really supportive. They always were interested in football like I said, and my dad would always drive me to training and sometimes he'd even take a few of the other players if they otherwise couldn't get there. My mum was great as well. She'd watch whenever she could and they still come to my games now as often as they can.

Some parents can be quite intense but mine didn't ever put pressure on me to do things, it was all about choosing to do it because I enjoyed it. They were great to lean on throughout and you got all the pressure from the coaches and players, so in my opinion you didn't need that from your family as well.

You've blossomed into an excellent young centre-back. Has defending always been your passion or did you play in any different positions as a younger boy?
I mean, they shoved me at centre-back pretty much right from the start because I was unusually tall! I played in midfield for a little bit which probably helped me out more than I realised, but if I'm honest I didn't particularly enjoy it.

It helped me to develop other areas of my game which I'm grateful for, but I feel I've done well at centre-back since.

You won our Scholar of the Year award at the end of last season. It must have been a great feeling to know that your hard work on and off the pitch was being rewarded?
I didn't really know too much about the award before, but I was aware that Ollie O'Neill had previously won it. I saw it as a nice bonus after a really good season at the Club. I didn't expect it. 

"My main aim was to play regular Under-18s football last season, so I was buzzing when I was in the Under-21s quite a bit."

You're an intelligent lad, how much do you value your education away from football?
I definitely value the education side of things as well. It's really important to have something there on the side because none of us have done much in professional football yet, so you never know about the setbacks that can happen. Having an education and other interests can have a huge benefit.

That intelligence transfers onto the pitch and helps you get out of difficult situations regularly. Is positioning and general reading of the game something you're always working on?
I feel like being able to read the game is a big strength of mine and it has needed to be because I was never the quickest or the most physical player. It helps me always remain one step ahead and get out of certain situations. It keeps me in check if you like.

I often look back at games and identify areas I need to improve. I think another strength is my ability to learn quickly and improve those areas for the next match.

You've said in the past that Connor McAvoy was a player in the Academy you looked up to. Now you're often seen playing alongside him! What was it about Connor that impressed you?
He's got a similar personality to me and he went to Coombes school as well like myself.

Even back in training sessions at school, he was always a good professional and he's a ball playing centre-half like myself. I always thought we had similarities in our game and I feel like it's being shown now when we play alongside each other. We're quite good at progressing the ball as a two.

You made it onto the First Team bench along with some other Academy players against Crawley. How much did you enjoy travelling with the senior squad?
It's definitely all very sudden! You go from knowing very little to all of a sudden, they've asked you to train with them. You're aware that there's a game the next day so you're always wondering whether maybe you'll be involved.

Then you kind of work it out throughout the session that you're going to be involved which is a really exciting feeling. I got a text in the afternoon which was basically the squad list forwarded on. I was absolutely buzzing.

In terms of the actual experience on the day, it was really good. It was obviously a shame that we got knocked out because you think that those opportunities could potentially come up again.

"There's still the FA Cup and a few players have been on the bench in the league as well so there's plenty of opportunities available for young players."

Any First Team players in particular that made you feel comfortable?
I feel like there's some players that get mentioned quite a lot. People like Harrison Reed and Tim Ream are great. They're really good at that because they're quite experienced players and they know what it feels like, but in general everyone was brilliant.

Some players really go the extra mile just to make sure that the things you do well get praised, which really helps players like myself and other young players to build confidence along the way.

What elements of being a footballer do you feel you struggle most with?
Opinions matter so much within football and sometimes there are maybe too many. If you think someone has a bad opinion of you, it can spiral in your head. Every now and then you might get some feedback from a coach or a player which isn't as good and you can let it play out in your head and overthink.

There's also the aspect of balancing everything. As a young player, you're still doing education, I was doing driving lessons for ages and a lot of it is just about timing things. You'll think to yourself, I need to get better at this, this and this but then you realise you have a game in two days and you need to fit it all in.

A lot of my aims are gym based. We train in the mornings and then I need to make sure I get everything done in the gym afterwards. I need to get bigger and stronger and fill out a bit.

"Some days you go home and you think that you haven't achieved everything you wanted to."

A lot of people think footballers come in at 10am and leave at 2pm. There are some that might do that, but those players aren't going to be as good as they possibly could be. Some might take the easy route but you should want to do as much as you physically can to make sure you stay in the game for as long as possible.

Social media is another area that can potentially be damaging. The World Cup is a perfect example. When some of our lads missed their penalties at the Euros, the abuse they got was horrific. Those players are scoring goals now and it seems to have all been forgotten. Dealing with that can be really difficult.

Thankfully, I haven't had to deal with that too much yet but I'm aware that it's something that comes with success.

What is the number one piece of advice you'd give to a young player looking to develop themself as a footballer?
I'd probably say that things can change quickly, for better or for worse. For players that are struggling or are looking to get into a club, all of a sudden somebody could be at your game watching you and then the next thing you know you've got a trial and you're in the team, just like that.

Unfortunately, it can go the other way. Things might be going really well and you suffer a nasty injury, touch wood! Or you could make one mistake, especially as a defender, and opinions can change.

If things are going well or badly, you need to always stay grounded and balanced.

Christmas is fast approaching, and you'll have a break in games. What does a typical Christmas look like for you?
For us, Christmas is alright for now. Obviously if you're in the First Team you've got the game Boxing Day so you're in on Christmas morning.

To get five or six days off is quite nice and I'll just try to switch off from it all a little bit and make the most out of being at home with my family. I really like this time of year and I think it's a great time to settle down and enjoy the Christmas dinner more than anything!

I'll be eating as much as I can to get a bit bigger.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2022/december/02/Charlie-Robinson-The-Story-So-Far/

WhiteJC

Why capturing Chris Coleman was the catalyst for Fulham's climb to the top flight
It is the sort of sobering statistic that automatically ages you. 25 years ago tonight, Chris Coleman made his Fulham debut. The likeable Welsh centre back will freely admit that, 24 hours after signing on the dotted line to drop two divisions from Blackburn Rovers, his first outing at Craven Cottage against Brentford was shorn of the assurance we quickly took for granted from the leader of the back four. The local derby didn't need any extra spice but, there was plenty, with Micky Adams pitching up as manager of Fulham's local rivals three months after Mohamed Al-Fayed severed the special bond between the fans and the man who had led the Whites out of the Football League basement. No one was convinced by the contrived spectacle of the eccentric Egyptian presenting Adams, who always implored the fans to 'keep the faith,' with a Fulham scarf before kick off.

Coleman's distribution and defending was patchy that night, but he quickly became the rock around which Fulham's remarkable rise towards the top flight was built. Once the tedious Ray Wilkins experiment was abandoned, the Swansea boy forged a miserly partnership with his Welsh schoolboys team-mate Kit Symons at the heart of a Fulham defence that remained miserly despite Kevin Keegan's ultra-attacking approach. Coleman, a classy ball-playing centre half in the mould of the likes of former Fulham favourites like Tony Gale and Bobby Moore, became far more than the barrier between opposition forwards and Maik Taylor; he embraced the leadership role to be the heartbeat both of a lively dressing room but also of a club rooted in its community.

He was quite clearly far too good to be playing Second Division football, having been told by Roy Hodgson – ironically – that his days at Ewood Park were numbered. Moving back to London, where he had played for Crystal Palace, to sign for Fulham was a gamble that surprised several seasoned observers but it paid off in spades. Coleman not only lifted the Second Division title but led a team that surprised Southampton and Aston Villa in the FA Cup. His influence only increased when Keegan jumped ship for his ill-fated tilt at international football and he fully embraced Jean Tigana's French revolution. The results were so extraordinary that it seemed only a matter of time before Coleman was leading Fulham out in the top flight before a horrific car crash cruelly curtailed his playing career. It speaks volumes about Coleman's spirit that he recovered from the physical and mental turmoil of an accident that saw paramedics preparing to amputate his legs before learning of his profession to play for his country again, but anyone who met the man himself during his gruelling recovery phase wouldn't have been surprised.

Coleman's Fulham story was only just beginning, of course. He had only just accepted an invitation to join Tigana's coaching staff when he was thrown into the dugout after the Frenchman's relationship with Al-Fayed collapsed spectacularly, placing the club's Premier League status in jeopardy. The club legend initially insisted he had no interest in the full-time job, but he won three of five matches – making light of his transition from team-mate to boss – to secure safety and beat the likes of George Burley and Klaus Topmoller to the job.

That was only the beginning of Coleman, installed in the summer of 2003 as the Premier League's youngest-ever manager, upsetting the odds. He surprised everyone by leading Fulham to a ninth placed finish in his first full season in charge – having been the overwhelming favourite to be the first boss out of work – and certainly would have been more successful had Manchester United not lured Louis Saha north mid-season. The new manager adroitly handled Fulham's exile at Loftus Road, keeping the fans onside, and navigated plenty of boardroom turmoil to keep the Whites above water despite diminishing investment from Al-Fayed.

The club's return to Craven Cottage was vital and, whilst Coleman's first managerial job was eventually to end in disappointment, there were plenty of highs along the way. His swashbuckling side won at Tottenham and Manchester United in style in first campaign and memorably beat Chelsea, who had swept all before them in Jose Mourinho's golden period, on an unforgettable April afternoon. There was a first win over Arsenal for more than forty years and the Whites remained out of trouble until Coleman's final campaign in charge despite losing the likes of Saha, Edwin van der Sar, Sean Davis, Steed Malbranque and Luis Boa Morte.

Coleman had built a rapport with the Fulham fans similar to the one savoured by Adams. He was much more than a captain or mere manager, largely because as – a working-class boy himself – he recognised how fortunate he was. When he was recuperating from that awful injury, I encountered him limping down Lysia Street a couple of hours before a home game. You could see the pain etched on his face. Being quite the mouthy teenager, I took my opportunity to say how much we all missed him on the pitch. He smiled and thanked me, before enquiring as to how I got around. I said I'd had years to get used to having cerebral palsy and it didn't stop me from doing anything. He flashed that cinematic grin and said, 'If you can keep smiling, Dan, I've got nothing to worry about it'. Four years later, he recognised me during a supporters' trip to Motspur Park and sat with me for two hours talking tactics long after everyone else gone home. I know from speaking to other supporters that is just the kind of man he is.

Coleman's managerial career went onto even greater highs after he took over from his great mate Gary Speed as Wales manager. His success in guiding his country to the European Championship semi-finals in 2016 owed as much to his infectious personality as his tactical acumen – and I firmly believe that his magnetism played a pivotal role in ensuring Al-Fayed's five-year plan to take Fulham back to English football's top table was completed ahead of schedule. Thanks for all the memories, Cookie.

https://hammyend.com/index.php/2022/12/why-capturing-chris-coleman-was-the-catalyst-for-fulhams-climb-to-the-top-flight/

WhiteJC

It Doesn't – Aberdeen Boss Comments On Talent Amid Fulham And Wolves Interest

Aberdeen boss Jim Goodwin believes that it is only natural for Wolves and Fulham target Lewis Pirie to be in demand given the level of the academy the Dons have at their disposal. 

The 15-year-old has been tipped to have a bright future ahead of him, with a number of clubs in the Premier League, including Fulham and Wolves, having shown interest in adding him to their ranks.

He further proved his mettle by scoring against Wales in Scotland's 3-2 Under-16 loss in the Victory Shield.

Aberdeen will be able to sign him on a professional contract when he turns 16 in January.

However, more than a few clubs are keeping an eye on Pirie and want to make a move to sign him.

Citing the example of Calvin Ramsay, who joined Liverpool in the summer, Goodwin insisted that it is only natural for Pirie to attract attention and he is not surprised.

"We have a great academy here at Aberdeen", Goodwin told the Press and Journal.

"It doesn't surprise me that big clubs from England and all around Europe are starting to sit up and take notice.

"Calvin Ramsay was obviously sold to Liverpool for multi-millions.

"A lot of our other young players are catching the eye as well."

It remains to be seen if either Fulham or Wolves can win the chase for the 15-year-old Aberdeen talent, who has also been linked with other sides, including Everton.

https://insidefutbol.com/2022/12/02/it-doesnt-aberdeen-boss-comments-on-talent-amid-fulham-and-wolves-interest/586787/

WhiteJC

Watch: Is Aleksandar Mitrovic's the most exquisite header of World Cup 2022?
Andros Townsend has been a commentary revelation during World Cup 2022 – but one comment during Serbia vs Switzerland might have changed Arsenal fans' minds on him

Mitro's on fire. Your defence is terrified.

For a man who people who constantly question whether he can deliver in the Premier League, Aleksandar Mitrovic scores some stunning goals – and this one is another fine example. 

The Fulham frontman got the perfect touch to Dusan Tadic's superb left-footed cross, simply nodding it into the far end of the net to equalise for the Serbian side. Is it the best headed goal of the tournament? You decide...

Amid all the talk of political tension between the two sides, this game opened frantically. Serbian goalkeeper Vanja Milinkovic-Savic made a quick double-save seconds into the match before midfielder Andrija Zivkovic smashed the post, with Swiss keeper Gregor Kobel immensely grateful for a rebound that found its way to him. Typically for this game, Xherdan Shaqiri had to score the opener.

Former Stoke, Liverpool and Inter Milan star Shaqiri was one of the more talked-about players in the run-up to this one – given his 10,000-franc fine four years ago for celebrating against Serbia – and after a comfortable left-footed bolt into the net, he celebrated with a finger to his lips to silence the opposing fans whistling and booing him. 

The game soon turned on its head. Mitrovic scored – and just 10 minutes later, Dusan Vlahovic in his first start of the competition capitalised on a defensive error from the Swiss to roll the ball past Kobel to give Serbia an all-important lead, putting a finger to his lips, too. 

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/watch-is-aleksandar-mitrovics-the-most-exquisite-header-of-world-cup-2022

WhiteJC

Switzerland go through and Serbia go home after five-goal World Cup thriller
Embolo, Shaqiri and Freuler on target as Swiss book place to face Portugal in last 16

Perhaps it was naive to think this encounter, which had rattled along without controversy for more than two-thirds of its time, would pass in silence. Switzerland will face Portugal in the last 16 after defeating a freewheeling but painfully naive Serbia side who briefly looked poised to go through after Aleksandar Mitrovic and Dusan Vlahovic overhauled Xherdan Shaqiri's opener. Breel Embolo and Remo Freuler turned things back in their favour, but a night coloured by the context of the Albanian "eagle" celebration deployed by Shaqiri and Granit Xhaka in Kaliningrad four years ago ended stormily. Xhaka was to the fore of more than one flashpoint and there may be consequences, too, for one of the relevant football associations after discriminatory chants were heard in the stands.

It only took 20 minutes for Shaqiri to earn a test of his self restraint. There was no eagle gesture after his first-time shot deflected past Vanja Milinkovic-Savic; instead he contented himself with a finger to the lips, aimed pointedly at the hard-core of Serbia supporters in the nearby corner, before turning around and pointing to the name on his back. It was mildly provocative but, having hitherto been booed whenever in possession, a less incendiary way of making his point.

The goal capped a see-sawing, surreally open start. Within 24 seconds of kick-off Xhaka had received his own chance to show lessons had been learned since 2018, seeing Vanja Milinkovic-Savic recovering to parry his half-volley after blocking from Embolo at close range. Nikola Milenkovic quickly boomed a header wide for Serbia and then, after cleverly cutting inside, their right wing-back Andrija Zivkovic hit a post with the cleanest of 20-yard strikes.

Serbia were committing bodies forward from all angles, the left centre back Strahinja Pavlovic causing brief havoc with one overlapping run. But they were leaving gaping holes behind them and it was into one that Ricardo Rodríguez marauded, with all the time he needed, down the left. His centre was half-clear but helped by Djibril Sow into the path of Shaqiri, who did the rest.

That was never likely to be the end of it. Within six minutes Dusan Tadic had located Mitrovic's run with a beautifully flighted cross that was met, delicately but emphatically, with a glanced header across Gregor Kobel. The Switzerland keeper had been drafted in upon Yann Sommer's illness and, to giddy Serbian celebrations, was soon beaten again.

This time a cheap concession in midfield let Tadic, in his most beguiling form, attempt a reverse pass through to Vlahovic. With help from a touch by Freuler, it reached the intended target. The Juventus striker, who had been struggling with injury, showed why he was given his first start of the tournament with a precise low finish across a motionless Kobel.

Pavlovic thudded his chest and geed up the crowd after blocking from Ruben Vargas but it never seemed remotely likely Serbia would be able to succeed through sitting on this lead. They are simply not built that way and the point was reinforced just as it appeared they would teeter through to half-time. Embolo's second goal of the tournament, converted from inside the six-yard box, was smartly taken but Serbia offered next to no pressure on the ball as play built. Eventually Silvan Widmer crossed precisely from the right, his centre-forward awaiting gleefully, and there was a sense Switzerland would guard their position of strength more jealously this time.

It had been exceptional entertainment, fully occupying the crowd at that point. That initially remained the case after the restart, Switzerland turning the screw within three minutes and silencing the majority. Freuler's left-footed finish, offered to him by a cute flick from Vargas, was crisp and well constructed but again Serbia's level of vigour in the challenges was at best halfhearted.

Needing two goals, the wit and invention in Serbia's earlier play now deserted them. Embolo somehow scooped over from a chance to deepen their woe, although VAR may well have ruled him offside, and their efforts towards a quick recovery amounted to little more than a wayward Tadic shot.

Mitrovic flung himself to the floor in search of the penalty, the dive utterly egregious, and the mood turned dark as players from both sides became involved in a disagreement by the left touchline. Xhaka was involved, appearing to grab his genitals and look toward the Serbia bench. The substitute keeper Predrag Rajkovic, was yellow carded in the ensuing melee and Dragan Stojkovic, the Serbia manager, made a brief incursion on to the playing surface.

Serbia could have done with him in his pomp. Back in the here and now they were cooked, the final stages little more than an exercise in playing out time. A tannoy announcement in the 77th minute reminded the fans to refrain from "discriminatory shouts and gestures"; their precise nature was unclear but Fifa were surely prepared well in advance to be occupied by any fallout from this occasion.

It meant a previously enthralling game ended under a shadow, Xhaka and Milenkovic almost coming to blows in a late pile-on. Eagle or no eagle, though, Switzerland have taken flight. - Guardian

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/2022/12/02/switzerland-go-through-and-serbia-go-home-after-five-goal-world-cup-thriller/