The Almost Nearly January Silly Season Transfer Thread 2023

Started by Friendsoffulham, December 04, 2022, 08:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twig

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on December 08, 2022, 03:21:12 PM
Quote from: Friendsoffulham on December 08, 2022, 03:07:25 PM
?

"Are Fulham making a mistake?
Fulham's current stance on Robinson might not be the right call.

Although they won't want to weaken their squad midseason with Premier League survival still uncertain, the January transfer window may also be their best chance of securing a big fee for the defender."

What a silly paragraph... keeping our best players will likely keep us up and net us a hellluva lot more than the 15-20m wed get for him. He's more likely to stay put as well.

Agree. "A big fee"? That's either deluded or condescending.

WindyCity

FFS.

Just keep your best players, pretty simple, really.  That's how you build a solid team, hopefully consistent mid table.

Either now or after season offer AR an extension/new contract.  Git er done

LC

Yes, we shouldn't sell in January, if we get to the summer and he doesn't want to sign a new contract then we may have to reconsider as he'll only have 1 year left on his contract. But we should be trying to get him to extend his contract

JimOG

Quote from: LC on December 08, 2022, 09:38:09 PM
Yes, we shouldn't sell in January, if we get to the summer and he doesn't want to sign a new contract then we may have to reconsider as he'll only have 1 year left on his contract. But we should be trying to get him to extend his contract

Totally agree...absurd to suggest we'd sell him...but if Chelsea made good on their rumoured £20mill+ bid for Luke Harris where would you stand?

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: JimOG on December 09, 2022, 08:57:17 AM

Totally agree...absurd to suggest we'd sell him...but if Chelsea made good on their rumoured £20mill+ bid for Luke Harris where would you stand?

It's about time we hold onto one of our talented youngsters.

General

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on December 09, 2022, 10:00:06 AM
Quote from: JimOG on December 09, 2022, 08:57:17 AM

It's about time we hold onto one of our talented youngsters.

Agreed. I want to see another home grown Johnny Haynes. Think where sessegnon would be if he'd stayed with us and got playing under Silva. Yes he may have been relegated etc but as a player I reckon it'd have been good for him and he definitely would've got more game time.

fulhamfever

Deeping_white

On Luke Harris, and purely playing devil's advocate here; Chelsea were rumoured to want him for sum in the region of £30m, which is a lot of money for someone who at this stage is purely valued on potential. Don't get me wrong he's done very well at academy level but he strikes me as more of a Sess than a Fabio or Stansfield who seem to have a bit more to their all round game, whereas he's more of a fox in the box akin to how Sess was when he broke out to the first team and we ended up getting north of £20m for him based on the hype around how far he could go. The academy will only have a genuinely settled path through to the first team as long as we're a stable PL team, so is there an argument of taking the £30m if its offered, knowing that sort of money can get you a Palhinha, Pereira and Solomon with change which means we pad out depth and increase the strength across the squad to pretty much solidify us as a mid-table team. From there you can then start to build from a position of strength where academy prospects can be introduced to a more settled environment, rather than being chucked into a relegation battle like in 2013-15 which set a lot of them back or not risk playing youth players in a championship promotion push because promotion is key (I appreciate Sess and Fab are exceptions to this but certainly not the norm).

Short version of my ramblings is basically; do you take the money for a prospect now to invest in 3-4 good players who pretty much keep us up and pay it forwards in terms of solidifying our position as a PL team and then we reap the rewards in future years of bringing other players through in a settled environment?

Porthogs FC

Pretty simple. Do our best to offload unwanted players (Onomah, Chalobah, Mbabu), get another RB and CM. Only other sale would be if it improves our FFP by a ton - like a Robinson and/or Tosin sale, because their purchase price was so low.

WindyCity

Quote from: Porthogs FC on December 09, 2022, 03:31:22 PM
Pretty simple. Do our best to offload unwanted players (Onomah, Chalobah, Mbabu), get another RB and CM. Only other sale would be if it improves our FFP by a ton - like a Robinson and/or Tosin sale, because their purchase price was so low.

The fact that purchase price was so low on several players is to the benefit of FFC.  It should not impact a possible sale price or take less than the going market just because the investment was so low.  I don't think Liverpool discounts players sold just because they happened to buy at bargain basement.

For me, you gotta keep AR.  Extension or new contract should be offered soon.  Tosin is debatable.  Not sure if we should go to the wall to keep him, but should be open if the 'right' offer comes along.

JimOG

Quote from: Deeping_white on December 09, 2022, 12:05:48 PM
On Luke Harris, and purely playing devil's advocate here; Chelsea were rumoured to want him for sum in the region of £30m, which is a lot of money for someone who at this stage is purely valued on potential. Don't get me wrong he's done very well at academy level but he strikes me as more of a Sess than a Fabio or Stansfield who seem to have a bit more to their all round game, whereas he's more of a fox in the box akin to how Sess was when he broke out to the first team and we ended up getting north of £20m for him based on the hype around how far he could go. The academy will only have a genuinely settled path through to the first team as long as we're a stable PL team, so is there an argument of taking the £30m if its offered, knowing that sort of money can get you a Palhinha, Pereira and Solomon with change which means we pad out depth and increase the strength across the squad to pretty much solidify us as a mid-table team. From there you can then start to build from a position of strength where academy prospects can be introduced to a more settled environment, rather than being chucked into a relegation battle like in 2013-15 which set a lot of them back or not risk playing youth players in a championship promotion push because promotion is key (I appreciate Sess and Fab are exceptions to this but certainly not the norm).

Short version of my ramblings is basically; do you take the money for a prospect now to invest in 3-4 good players who pretty much keep us up and pay it forwards in terms of solidifying our position as a PL team and then we reap the rewards in future years of bringing other players through in a settled environment?

Eloquently put DW.  If we're close to our FFP cut-off point Rational Fan & others have pointed out Harris' sale would make a sum of money available to give us a great chance of both staying up and have a platform for the future (the 30mill could buy 2/3 players if costs are spread over the next few years).  I still think we've a wafer thin Prem team. Wilson & James hardly impressed at the World Cup, we need cover in DM and what's the plan, if Vinicius is off on loan, for   cover for Mitro. We're hanging too much on him to both stay injury-free and keep scoring. Some of that money could buy a striker who, if he could also play wide, would give us insurance against a disastrous injury for Mitro.

Mullers OG

What happens to Robinson depends almost entirely on him. No doubt Fulham will make him a substantial improved offer to extend his contract. If he refuses it then the club has to consider the options. Sell him in January for the best offer, wait until the end of the season when his value will be lower or keep him until his contract runs out and get nothing.

I can't see Newcastle being terribly attractive unless they are in the champions league next year. Inter Milan might be hard to refuse. Careers are short and world class sides difficult to overlook.

I hope he stays and signs a new contract. If he won't, and it's his decision, then keep him for this season until we are safe with time to find a replacement and then sell for the best we can get.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: JimOG on December 09, 2022, 05:27:05 PM
Quote from: Deeping_white on December 09, 2022, 12:05:48 PM

Eloquently put DW.  If we're close to our FFP cut-off point Rational Fan & others have pointed out Harris' sale would make a sum of money available to give us a great chance of both staying up and have a platform for the future (the 30mill could buy 2/3 players if costs are spread over the next few years).  I still think we've a wafer thin Prem team. Wilson & James hardly impressed at the World Cup, we need cover in DM and what's the plan, if Vinicius is off on loan, for   cover for Mitro. We're hanging too much on him to both stay injury-free and keep scoring. Some of that money could buy a striker who, if he could also play wide, would give us insurance against a disastrous injury for Mitro.
Agree with these but would suggest that IF we sell any potential from our youth teams then we should at least learn to factor in a sell on clause of 20% or more!

filham

Selling our bright young talent is disasterous.
For those of us who enjoyed the Haynes era it is terrible to think what those years would have been likehad we sold Johnny at a young age. Remember there were attractive offers for him at the time.

ianthailand

Quote from: filham on December 10, 2022, 09:54:57 AM
For those of us who enjoyed the Haynes era it is terrible to think what those years would have been likehad we sold Johnny at a young age. Remember there were attractive offers for him at the time.
Different era now Mr. Filham, all in favour of the player.

WestSussexWhite

Expect Fulham to go use on shifting deadwood in Jan if possible. Unless someone offers stupid money for Robinson he won't be going anywhere. There is some money available, but we also won't be held to ransom by clubs. There is truth in Kessie and an agreement with Barcelona is close, however, persuading the player might prove difficult, if it happens I don't think it will be much before deadline day. Another RB may come in if Mbabu goes, but he's being given this mid-season break to prove himself.

ianthailand

Quote from: WestSussexWhite on December 10, 2022, 10:35:51 AM
Expect Fulham to go use on shifting deadwood in Jan if possible. Unless someone offers stupid money for Robinson he won't be going anywhere. There is some money available, but we also won't be held to ransom by clubs. There is truth in Kessie and an agreement with Barcelona is close, however, persuading the player might prove difficult, if it happens I don't think it will be much before deadline day. Another RB may come in if Mbabu goes, but he's being given this mid-season break to prove himself.
[/quote
Welcome back WSW. Nice to have your input in these transfer windows.

Rambler

If Robinson gets sold we could do worse than looking at Morocco's left full back. Having a storming game agains Portugal so far

filham

Quote from: ianthailand on December 10, 2022, 10:00:39 AM
Quote from: filham on December 10, 2022, 09:54:57 AM
Different era now Mr. Filham, all in favour of the player.
Agree times are different and players have more power but it still makes sense for us to hold on to our young players.
Make no mistake that Haynes had attractive offers from the likes of Spurs and Newcastle where he would have been better off in certain respects but chairman Trinder somehow convinced him his future was at Fulham.

Friendsoffulham