The Almost Nearly January Silly Season Transfer Thread 2023

Started by Friendsoffulham, December 04, 2022, 08:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twig

Quote from: LC on January 28, 2023, 01:33:37 PM
Quote from: General on January 28, 2023, 11:52:35 AM
Quote from: filham on January 28, 2023, 11:33:12 AM
Quote from: demeant0r on January 28, 2023, 10:48:01 AM
If Andre signs that be five Brazilians in the club and six Portuguese speakers.
We will need to define the team language and it is unlikely to be English.

Nah, there's still a strong English speaking contingent..

Robinson, Ream, Cairney, BDR, Reed, Chalobah and Onomah (though rumours they're off), Bryan (technically), Tosin, Duffy, Wilson, James..

Yes, I was thinking the other day that we didn't have many English/British players in our starting lineup and we always have. Although it's worth noting Robinson and BDR were born in the England they declared for other countries.

I've always thought English teams should have 5 English players in their lineup- but I appreciate I'm one of the few who believe that, and I'll admit it is a high number. My thought process behind it, is that England are unlikely to win a trophy without a large increase in English players playing in the PL. I think it's a little embarrassing that our young talent are going abroad to get exposure- we've seen a few move to Germany more recently.

Anyhow it would be nice to have at least 3 English players in our lineup- currently we only have Reed as a guaranteed starter, as Tosin is in and out of the team. Although it now looks like Reed might not be guaranteed with Lukic incoming

It's an interesting debate. I've thought for some years now that it's good for young players' development to spend some time in leagues overseas. Get used to different playing styles, cultures etc and also learn to live a life away from home comforts.  But I guess it's just how you look at these things.

LC

Quote from: Twig on January 28, 2023, 03:02:26 PM

Robinson, Ream, Cairney, BDR, Reed, Chalobah and Onomah (though rumours they're off), Bryan (technically), Tosin, Duffy, Wilson, James..

Yes, I was thinking the other day that we didn't have many English/British players in our starting lineup and we always have. Although it's worth noting Robinson and BDR were born in the England they declared for other countries.

I've always thought English teams should have 5 English players in their lineup- but I appreciate I'm one of the few who believe that, and I'll admit it is a high number. My thought process behind it, is that England are unlikely to win a trophy without a large increase in English players playing in the PL. I think it's a little embarrassing that our young talent are going abroad to get exposure- we've seen a few move to Germany more recently.

Anyhow it would be nice to have at least 3 English players in our lineup- currently we only have Reed as a guaranteed starter, as Tosin is in and out of the team. Although it now looks like Reed might not be guaranteed with Lukic incoming

It's an interesting debate. I've thought for some years now that it's good for young players' development to spend some time in leagues overseas. Get used to different playing styles, cultures etc and also learn to live a life away from home comforts.  But I guess it's just how you look at these things.

I don't see any problems with loans, the problem is our young players are leaving clubs or being released by clubs because they aren't playing or deemed not good enough. They then go abroad then end up doing really well. We should be developing them here

Willham

Quote from: LC on January 28, 2023, 03:25:30 PM
Quote from: Twig on January 28, 2023, 03:02:26 PM

I don't see any problems with loans, the problem is our young players are leaving clubs or being released by clubs because they aren't playing or deemed not good enough. They then go abroad then end up doing really well. We should be developing them here

I agree with the latter, england are notorious for keeping its talent within England and we have a poor track record winning internation competitions

Brazil and Spain on the other hand have massive contingents of nationals playing abroad,

I'm currently excited to see the results as I've said this for about 10 years, interesting to see if it makes any difference

Woolly Mammoth

I agree with your suggestions, as it is important we have at least the number of English players you have proposed, for more than one reason.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Twig

Think we should be talking about British players rather than just English. The top talent from Wales, Nthn Ireland and Scotland need a chance to play at the domestic top level too.

LC

Quote from: Twig on January 28, 2023, 05:17:59 PM
Think we should be talking about British players rather than just English. The top talent from Wales, Nthn Ireland and Scotland need a chance to play at the domestic top level too.

Well we are an English club so naturally promoting English players is obviously key and essential for our national team to have success.

But yes, British players also

StuinSalop

Be an opportunity for new players to bed in during the cup replay. 

Deeping_white

Deeping_white

jayffc

Quote from: Deeping_white on January 28, 2023, 08:34:59 PM

Good, it's best for both parties we go our separate ways at this point.

Lukic in - Chalobah and Josh out seems the right call.

filham

Today's game clearly indicated that we need that strong attacking midfielder who is going to make attacking runs and come up with a few goals. Are we likely to sign such a player in the next few days.

itombomb

Quote from: Palhinha Colada on January 27, 2023, 03:01:03 PM
Anyone else a bit perplexed by the (reported) Soares details? Bringing him in as a 6-month loan on that salary with no buy option makes very little sense to me. That can't just be for RB cover?
Why not? Silva clearly thinks Mbabu is cack, and he wants a RB in as cover for Kenny.

You almost always have to pay over the odds for quality players in January, and if longer-term targets like van Ewijk aren't available (for a fee we think is worth it right now), and we have the playing budget with FFP, it makes sense to bring in someone short term Silva knows he can get a tune out of.

I just presume we've identified a list of players we'll go back in for in the Summer, but Soares will do for now.

ianthailand

Quote from: SerbianLad on January 27, 2023, 09:25:12 AM
Quote from: IloveFFC on January 27, 2023, 09:17:53 AM
Chalobah out. Onomah probably out too.

We only will sign one midfielder? lukic...

Palhinha, Reed, Lukic and Cairney.  I don't think is enough
Pereira too. I wouldn't mind another midfielder, but it's not that necessary.

Palhinha-Lukic(when he settles in)- Pereira is a good starting midfield with Reed and Cairney proven backups. Pereira and Cairney can both cover 2 positions in the midfield, so can Harrison and Lukic can play in all three, while Solomon and Wilson could potentially play as a 10 as well.

Assuming Lukic is a done deal, get a rightback and wait for summer when we can spend more and get higher quality players imo.
Serbian Lad you should manage Serbia. With Mitro and Lukic you'd have won the World Cup!!!!

ianthailand

Maybe Serbian, get Serbian Lad in as interpreter and part-time coach as his English and football knowledge is better than most of us on this forum - sorted!

SerbianLad

Quote from: ianthailand on January 29, 2023, 03:45:13 AM
Quote from: SerbianLad on January 27, 2023, 09:25:12 AM
Quote from: IloveFFC on January 27, 2023, 09:17:53 AM
Chalobah out. Onomah probably out too.

We only will sign one midfielder? lukic...

Palhinha, Reed, Lukic and Cairney.  I don't think is enough
Pereira too. I wouldn't mind another midfielder, but it's not that necessary.

Palhinha-Lukic(when he settles in)- Pereira is a good starting midfield with Reed and Cairney proven backups. Pereira and Cairney can both cover 2 positions in the midfield, so can Harrison and Lukic can play in all three, while Solomon and Wilson could potentially play as a 10 as well.

Assuming Lukic is a done deal, get a rightback and wait for summer when we can spend more and get higher quality players imo.
Serbian Lad you should manage Serbia. With Mitro and Lukic you'd have won the World Cup!!!!
Hahahahha.
I'm sorry everyone if I overpraised Lukic, I'm just excited that we are potentially getting:
a) an excellent footballer(I mean he's no De Bruyne, but he's a solid footballer)
b) another Serbian.

As for the WC, we would have gotten out of the group at least, had we not had major trouble with injuries to most of our key players.

StuinSalop

I would say we are currently pretty well set assuming we can get one or two of these midfield players in.   With that said, in the summer we should focus on 2 keys positions.

1. A left sided centre back in the mould of Tim Ream, mid 20's who will take over that roll in the future.  Tosin and Diop can continue to battle it out for right sided centre back or just sell Tosin if he will not sign a new contract and invest in a replacement.

2. A goal scoring, quick, no 10 or 2nd striker to play next too of just behind Mitro.  Someone to come on for Pereira or start up front in a 4-4-2 if we need. 

We are well covered at goalkeeper, and will be ok at fullback once we get cover for Kenny, lots of wing options but to move to the next level these 2 players would be my priority.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: StuinSalop on January 29, 2023, 09:33:06 AM
I would say we are currently pretty well set assuming we can get one or two of these midfield players in.   With that said, in the summer we should focus on 2 keys positions.

1. A left sided centre back in the mould of Tim Ream, mid 20's who will take over that roll in the future.  Tosin and Diop can continue to battle it out for right sided centre back or just sell Tosin if he will not sign a new contract and invest in a replacement.

2. A goal scoring, quick, no 10 or 2nd striker to play next too of just behind Mitro.  Someone to come on for Pereira or start up front in a 4-4-2 if we need. 

We are well covered at goalkeeper, and will be ok at fullback once we get cover for Kenny, lots of wing options but to move to the next level these 2 players would be my priority.

We'll need to upgrade on Vinicius over the summer if we're to push on. Hopefully we can get our money back on him.

LRCN

Quote from: Deeping_white on January 28, 2023, 07:13:02 PM

Can we stop posting rumours from this guy please.

He's got no idea. Such a wind up

Deeping_white

Quote from: LRCN on January 29, 2023, 10:40:31 AM
Quote from: Deeping_white on January 28, 2023, 07:13:02 PM

Can we stop posting rumours from this guy please.

He's got no idea. Such a wind up

Read the title of the thread, then consider a Twitter post you think is a WUM, ignore it and scroll along. It's really that simple