watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (10.01.11)

Started by White Noise, January 10, 2011, 07:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/01/10/the-obligatory-roy-hodgson-post/?

The obligatory Roy Hodgson post
Filed under: General — rich 
Roy Hodgson probably felt he couldn't turn the Liverpool job down.  If his success at Fulham brought him the respect in England he had long craved, success at Liverpool would finally establish his credentials as one of the game's top managers.   He couldn't say no.

Have you ever gone into the cubicle at work and found that someone before you has left an almighty stench?   You need to go, and in time your nose deadens the stench, but when you leave the cubicle someone – perhaps a senior director – is waiting to go in, and when they go in they smell it too and assume it was you.    In their eyes you will always be the person who made the almighty stench.    You weren't – it was like that before you got there – but this is not how your successor will view things.

So it was, to an extent, with Hodgson.  I've talked to some very clued up Liverpool fans about the situation and they have just about persuaded me that Hodgson was the wrong man for the job, but it is still my belief that the club was in a terrible way before he arrived, and that success was always (in retrospect) unlikely.    Rafa Benitez was a top manager, but I'm starting to come round to the view that his best side was built on Mascherano, Alonso and Hyppia, as well as Torres, Reina and Gerrard.    Hodgson had a disinterested/knackered/injured Torres, a strangely vulnerable Reina (how different might things have been without Reina's mistake against Arsenal?) and a Gerrard who, try as he might, can't always do it alone.

He had to supplement this core with bit parts, ordinary players that he had to improve upon as quickly as he could.  Joe Cole seemed like a good idea but now his lack of action at Chelsea has been explained.   Mereiles looks to have been a shrewd pickup, but Paul Konchesky and Christian Poulson have been poor performers (in a short period of time Hodgson saw he would need a left-back and a holding midfielder:  he knew these two players very well and thought they'd make good stop-gaps.)

He should have had a half-decent side.  I always thought that Fulham, with a Gerrard type up top, could have been contenders.  We were so tight at the back, surely adding that bit of class up front would make us very hard to stop?   So Liverpool, with better players all over the pitch, ought to have been okay.  Didn't happen.  He was saddled with £18m England right back Glen Johnson, a player about as far from the Hodgson ideal as you might get, and tried to make Krygiakos and Skrtl into a new Hangeland and Hughes (which didn't really work).   With no Zamora to act as a focal point and no Danny Murphy to run the game from the middle, his teams looked thoroughly ragged, to the point where they were messy in defence and messier in attack.   The disappointment for Hodgson will be that in time much of this could have been resolved (it took a while for his system to 'kick in' at Fulham, after all).

But it would never have been enough.  Liverpool's fans didn't take to him, and seemed to take exception almost every time he opened his mouth to the media.  This too was unusual – at Fulham he was admirable in front of the cameras – but as Dave Kidd of The People pointed out in a recent TOOFIF, once the Great Escape had been pulled off he was hardly asked a difficult question.  At Anfield things were different.   Here he was talking up his previous achievements while his new team struggled, and fans took the view that Hodgson was interested in Hodgson first and Liverpool second.   I find this sort of accusation confusing in that it's presumably the way 99.9% of managers view their jobs.   Under this kind of pressure, this kind of criticism, why wouldn't Hodgson defend himself with the best tools available to him (his previous achievements; his recent award)?    But this was taken as a negative as well.    Hodgson didn't 'get' the supporters.

What is there to 'get' about supporters anyway?   It has been suggested that Hodgson didn't thank Fulham fans enough when he left, and while this is perhaps the case, I suspect that Hodgson honestly felt Fulham's achievements were down to his and the players' hard work, and that the fans were all well and good but a distant third in this hierarchy.    In this he's almost certainly correct (I appreciate that fans are vital in bringing money to the club, but at the stadium?  Presumably park teams and reserve teams, playing in front of one man and his dog, are still able to make stirring comebacks every so often?), but as we all find out as we move through life, certain concessions need to be made along the way.  All politicians must become adept at managing their reputation, and this will mean spending time with people you don't really like, people you actively dislike, always saying "the right thing" in the name of reputation.   It's true in the workplace to a lesser extent as well.   We must all work with 'stakeholders' (customers, suppliers, and so on) and talk bland nonsense in the name of affability.  It's how the world works.    When Hodgson said "I haven't seen much of the famous Anfield support" he was speaking the truth as he saw it (and he's right: their support is pretty ordinary), but this was of course a terrible mistake.    He might very reasonably have felt that the fans didn't understand him or the game of football, but he needed to better appreciate where the power lay in the relationship and communicate accordingly (but even then, the press will only highlight what it wants to highlight).

So why didn't it work out?  I think Mark Lawrenson suggested that Hodgson was the wrong manager at the wrong time, and surely there's something to that.  Hodgson's a good football manager but perhaps not a good enough manager, and certainly not for these particular circumstances.   Tim Sherwood, who fell out with Hodgson at Blackburn and arguably caused a good thing to go pear-shaped in so doing, said that Hodgson was the best coach he'd worked with, but not the best manager.   It seems to me that a modern football manager, particularly one at a big club, needs all kinds of non-coaching skills to get by, particularly if he hasn't won anything (at that club).  While I believe the results on the pitch would have improved in time (although possibly not to the point where they became acceptable to success hungry supporters), I'm not sure that everything else would have sorted itself out.   Hodgson, one way or another, was perfect for Fulham, but just as many fine but unphotogenic singers end up doing backing vocals for the likes of Danii Minogue (and even if they did get a record deal, they probably wouldn't sell anything because the public would rather buy crap from a face they like than something worthwhile from a face they don't), so too do many good coaches not get the chances they might feel they deserve.  Hodgson, after 35 years, got his chance and – to stretch an already weak metaphor to breaking point – ended up singing like Danii Minogue anyway.

Where was I?  The big job: he couldn't say no, but he should have.

WhiteJC

http://www.sportsvibe.co.uk/spurs-plan-shock-move-for-manchester-united-star/?

Spurs Plan Shock Move For Manchester United Star

Tottenham Hotspur manager Harry Redknapp is considering an approach for Manchester United centre-back Jonny Evans.

Despite having a squad that includes Ledley King, Michael Dawson, Sebastien Bassong, Younes Kaboul, William Gallas and Jonathan Woodgate, Spurs have looked fragile defensively after a series of injury problems.

The availability of such defenders has been unreliable at a time when Redknapp is desperate for stability. Tottenham will be looking to push for Champions League football in successive seasons, though the inability to field a central defensive pair for consecutive games may prove damaging to their chances.

Redknapp is also reported to have lost patience with the continuing fitness struggles of King and Woodgate, with the Spurs boss keen to bring in younger blood to replace his aging defenders.

Evans, 23, seems to fit the bill after the Irish defender has have fallen down the pecking order at Old Trafford. He currently finds himself behind Nemanja Vidic, Rio Ferdinand and Chris Smalling and in contention with Web Brown and John O'Shea.

Ferguson has become concerned with the opposition team often targeting Evans as a weak link, yet again proven by Bobby Zamora's domination of him aerially in United's 2-2 draw with Fulham at Craven Cottage in September.

Redknapp's response to the chronic injury problems his side have endured defensively is a £5 million bid for the Norther Irish international, though an alternative option could be a move for Bolton's Gary Cahill.

WhiteJC

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk:80/sport/football/peterborough-united/fulham_viewpoint_davies_we_weren_t_surprised_by_posh_attacking_capability_1_2285892?

Fulham viewpoint: Davies: We weren't surprised by Posh attacking capability

SIMON Davies insisted Fulham were not surprised by the quality of the Posh attacking play in Saturday's third round FA Cup tie at Craven Cottage.

The ex-Posh star, who was given a thunderous reception by the 5,000 visiting supporters, also reckoned he did his bit for his old club's cause by missing a few first-half chances before limping out of the match at the interval!

Davies said: "We watched a bit of action from Posh games and they looked good going forward so we weren't surprised that they created chances.

"The first goal was always going to be crucial and we settled down a bit once we scored it. It was a convincing win in the end, but Posh certainly didn't disgrace themselves.

"The Posh fans were very generous to me and I did my bit for them as I missed every chance that came my way!"

Fulham manager Mark Hughes praised his side's professionalism once they had overcome a tricky beginning.

Hughes said: "We were caught cold at the start and Peterborough must have had half-a-dozen corners in the opening five minutes.

"Our goalkeeper made two fine saves when it was 0-0, but we were worthy winners in the end.

"I fielded my strongest team because we want to go far in this competition and I didn't want us to be on the wrong end of an upset.

"Historically there are always a couple of shocks, but we were very professional in the way we went about our work."

WhiteJC

http://www.bournelocal.co.uk/sport/football/fa_cup_zakuani_enjoys_his_return_to_the_cottage_1_2285901

FA Cup: Zakuani enjoys his return to the Cottage

FORMER Fulham centre-back Gaby Zakuani reckoned the outcome of Saturday's FA Cup tie would have been different if Posh had taken advantage of their early dominance.

Fulham keeper David Stockdale saved well from Arron Davies and Craig Mackail-Smith in the early stages at Craven Cottage before the Premier League side powered away to win 6-2.

But Posh were generally the better side until Diomansy Kamara scored the first of his hat-trick just past the half-hour mark.

Zakuani said: "Against these teams you have to score when you are on top and we were the better side in the opening stages.

"An early goal would have made the game very interesting, but once they got in front they made it very hard for us.

"Their pace and movement didn't surprise me at all, but I felt I played okay personally.

"Fulham were quite ruthless in front of goal which was a big difference.

"They stretched us quite a bit so we were all having to cover a lot of ground at the back.

"It was nice to come back and play here though. I knew a few of their lads from my time here, especially Clint Dempsey who I flattened early on!"

Posh manager Gary Johnson reckoned Fulham's forward firepower and clinical finishing were the major differences between the sides.

Johnson said: "We know where our problems are as a side and Fulham exposed us quite ruthlessly at times.

"They have plenty of power and pace and were always likely to hurt us, but we wanted to make sure we had a go back at them which we did.

"They kept putting us on the floor, but credit to the lads for getting back up every time.

"In the end the sheer pace and power they had up front was too much for us.

"We defended well against them at set-pieces, but in open play it was different matter."

Mr Fulham

Mbokani feels forced out
Monaco striker admits he may need to move on

Mbokani: Out of favour

Dieumerci Mbokani feels isolated at Monaco and believes he may have to move elsewhere to get games.

The Congolese striker only moved to France last summer, but has struggled to settle at Stade Louis II.

To add to his woes, with a lack of goals having held him back, he has recently been made to train with the reserves.

The 2010/11 campaign is proving to be a hugely frustrating one for a player who was believed to have a number of clubs on his tail at the end of last season.

Fortunately for the 25-year-old frontman, there is a possibility he could be loaned out by Monaco in January.
Changed

Clubs from England, in particular Everton and Fulham, are reported to be keen to strike a deal and Mbokani admits he may now be forced to consider such a switch.

"Before the winter break I had decided to stay and prove my worth," he told L'Equipe.

"But then the coach didn't call me for the resumption of training and asked me to train with the reserves.

"For me, everything has changed. Monaco are pushing me away.

"I am not the only one to have been below their best, the whole club have disappointed."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6649048,00.html

WhiteJC

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/diego-maradona-linked-with-blackburn-and-fulham-amid-firm-offer-2180637.html?

Diego Maradona linked with Blackburn and Fulham amid 'firm offer'

Fulham are apparently the club in question

Diego Maradona has claimed he will hold talks with an English club next month over becoming their manager.

The Argentina legend, who stepped down as boss of his country, has already had discussions with Blackburn and his revelation will doubtless lead to speculation it is Rovers he plans to see.

"In February, I am going to England to listen to a firm offer," Maradona was quoted as saying at a press conference by La Nacion.

"If they convince me, I may take it up.

"I am not desperate, I know that someday I will coach another team."

Blackburn have been without a permanent manager since sacking Sam Allardyce last month and have placed Steve Kean in charge until the end of the season.

Owners Venky's, who bought Rovers in November, admitted their interest in Maradona shortly after dismissing Allardyce.

Chairwoman Anuradha Desai said at the time: "We thought about Maradona as a coach after we took over.

"Talks were at the initial stage then, but there is no development on that front yet.

"For now, the current coach will be the manager until the end of the season.

"There is no question of signing anyone for such a short time."

Maradona was also in London in November to watch Fulham's Barclays Premier League match against Manchester City.

The 50-year-old left his job as manager of Argentina following their 4-0 World Cup thrashing by Germany.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=227785

Fulham - Kamara Future Uncertain!
Having stepped into the breach, after our striker ranks were ravaged by injury, Diomansy Kamara certainly made his mark on Saturday.

As Peterborough were put to the sword, Kamara made the best of his opportunity to boos this tally for the season.

After the game, Kamara spoke to the media about his current situation, a scenario whereby he`ll be out of contract this summer, rearking,

"I`ve got a contract until the end of the season and at the moment, when I get my chance on the pitch, I`m always trying to do my best."

"We`ll see what happen in the next few matches. I`m just focused on Fulham, I`m not concerned that my contract is ending."

"I need to work hard, go in the gym and work more - this is my philosophy."

Does Kamara deserve a new contract or is it time to let him go?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=227785#ixzz1AebZ5aZO

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=227787

Fulham - A Strange Quirk of Fate!
By a strange quirk of fate, Saturday saw the return to this part of London for the Peterborough manager, Gary Johnson.

Johnson, tasked with the job of taking Peterborough back to the Championship, spoke to the media afterwards and expressed his sentiments in a way we`ll find particularly pleasing when he remarked,

"I want Fulham to win the FA Cup now although I didn`t at three o`clock."

"I was born up the road in Hammersmith Hospital, I lived in Fulham and I went to school a mile up the road. My family still come from this area and they`re Fulham supporters."

"I wouldn`t fault Mark for having thoughts on Fulham getting through to the final with some of the big boys in the competition fielding weakened sides."

Thanks for those fine sentiments Gary and we`d like to take this opportunity to wish you and Peterborough every success in your promotion drive.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=227787#ixzz1Aebkoebh

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=227788

Fulham - Stimulating Thoughts!
Following the 6-2 FA Cup win over Peterborough United, Mark Hughes came up with some interesting comments.

The comments are very thought provoking and it`s very hard to argue against the point Mark is making.

Basically, Mark offer his views on why the club couldn`t go on as it was under Roy Hodgson and why changes, whether we like it or not, have to be made.

See what you think,

"It`s important you stimulate the group. You can`t rest on your laurels."

"They`ve had a couple of great years with the same group of players and not that many changes."

"They want to get to the next level, and that`s why I came here."

Is Mark right in recognizing the fact that the last two seasons were the pinnacle as far as the current group of player`s are concerned?

And, just how much change is needed to take us to that promised next level?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=227788#ixzz1AebwyXqK

WhiteJC

Fulham - Striker Linked!
With the press reporting that Mark Hughes has the grand sum of £8 million to spend this January, to bolster the squad, we`re still waiting for any firm movement on transfers other than the recent acquisition of Steve Sidwell from Aston Villa.

Today, the media have thrown the name of a tall striker into the mix, that of Andrea Caracciolo, who plays for Brescia. Unfortunately not many facts are printed about the player, therefore, anyone care to help us out?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=227790#ixzz1AecDvMyW

WhiteJC

http://www.footymad.net/storytext.asp?article=3559884

FULHAM RUN NO SURPRISE TO HUGHES
Mark Hughes insists he never had any doubt Fulham would turn their season around ahead of Saturday's crucial relegation clash at Wigan.

An eight-match winless run saw the Cottagers sucked into the Barclays Premier League drop zone but they will travel to the DW Stadium in 14th place, having won two out of their last three top-flight games.

"I've got a great group and I've been saying that for a long time," said manager Hughes, whose side also dished out a 6-2 thrashing to Peterborough in Saturday's FA Cup third-round tie.

"They want to do well, they want to progress, they want to get to the next level. That's part of my remit, that's why I came here. I fully expected them to do that.

"We were compromised with missing personnel but since the West Ham game here we've really dug in and are looking forward to what's ahead of us."

Source: PA

WhiteJC

http://www.footymad.net/storytext.asp?article=3559885

HUGHES MAKES CASE FOR NEW SIGNINGS
Mark Hughes insists Fulham need new signings in the January transfer window to avoid going stale.

Manager Hughes made Steve Sidwell his first purchase of the month in Steve Sidwell last week and plans to add at least another striker before the window closes.

He said: "I think it's important you stimulate the group. You can't rest on your laurels.

"They've had a couple of great years with the same group of players and not that many changes.

"It's important you keep adding quality and that stimulates the group and that's a good thing."

Source: PA

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3276/serie-a/2011/01/10/2298780/edinson-cavani-eager-to-stay-with-napoli-who-are-in-hunt-for?

Edinson Cavani eager to stay with Napoli, who are in hunt for Everton & Fulham target Ivan Perisic
Agent says that World Cup star will not be leaving Italy

Highly rated youngster Ivan Perisic could be on his way out of Belgian side Club Brugge as Serie A team Napoli have shown an interest in signing the attacker, if a report in Il Sussidiario is to be believed.

Napoli are eager to add some more depth to their front line in the January transfer window and head coach Walter Mazzarri supposedly considers the 21-year-old Perisic to be the perfect addition to his ranks.

But not heading away from Serie A is Edinson Cavani, whose agent told Goal.com that his client will be staying put.

Claudio Anellucci exclusively revealed that the Uruguay international is eager to stay with Napoli for several more years.

"There haven't been any offers from abroad. That's just speculation from the press. Cavani is feeling very well at Napoli and is eager to stay put. When the time is right, we will open contract talks with the club to discuss a possible contract extension," said Anellucci to Goal.com.

Meanwhile, versatile attacker Perisic – who came through the ranks of the Hajduk Split youth academy and also wore the jerseys of Sochaux and Roeselare before signing for Club Brugge in the summer of 2009 – could be making the move to Italy.

Napoli face stiff competition from clubs such as Everton and Fulham in the race for the attacker's services though. Perisic's current contract with Brugge runs until the summer of 2015, meaning that he won't be available on the cheap.