watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

James's Goal

Started by filham, January 08, 2023, 01:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

That last minute goal by Dan James , scored without a keeper in place, will go down as an absolute sitter and he will be given little credit for it.

However, he had to work hard as his run started well inside of his own half, it was all of his own making and no one can be credited with an assist. The goal demonstrated that Dan has pace and that we really need to find a way to put that to good use.
I wonder which of our other players would have made such good use of the opportunity.
It will not be goal of the season, but an unusual goal and one that will be remembered.

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: filham on January 08, 2023, 01:18:15 PM
That last minute goal by Dan James , scored without a keeper in place, will go down as an absolute sitter and he will be given little credit for it.

However, he had to work hard as his run started well inside of his own half, it was all of his own making and no one can be credited with an assist. The goal demonstrated that Dan has pace and that we really need to find a way to put that to good use.
I wonder which of our other players would have made such good use of the opportunity.
It will not be goal of the season, but an unusual goal and one that will be remembered.

He is so fast that his legs actually looked like they were sped up against everyone else. He is blisteringly fast.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

ffcthereligion

I think he's a great out ball when we need it. I was desperate for him to come on against Leicester, thought the game circumstances were perfect for him. Backs to the wall, lump it forward and he will inevitably cause panic in the opposition with searing pace. That for me is his only real use at the moment, as he is really quite rubbish other than that IMO

Carborundum

Good goal, showed more bravery than the defender who let the ball bounce.  Here's the thing we are fast discovering about Dan James.  When the game is closed, structured and tight, he's not built for it.  Loses the ball too frequently, gets bossed, no devilment or inspiration.

But when the game is open and scrappy, he's brave, quick and stuff happens.  In a squad of 25 there's surely space for someone like that.  Much as coaches would wish it away, open and scrappy isn't going anywhere and, for now, nor should Dan James.

WolverineFFC

Too much focus on what he doesn't do well. That goal yesterday makes 2 he has potentially created (Mitro's PK miss) in 4 games since the break with his pace and work rate. As a 4th or 5th winger, that is a really important "solution" (as Marco says) off the bench for the manager. 

The key to me is finding a partnership or two that he plays well in. James and TC seem to be working well together. Other teammates need to learn how to utilize his speed more effectively as well.

Twig

Quote from: WolverineFFC on January 08, 2023, 01:46:29 PM
Too much focus on what he doesn't do well. That goal yesterday makes 2 he has potentially created (Mitro's PK miss) in 4 games since the break with his pace and work rate. As a 4th or 5th winger, that is a really important "solution" (as Marco says) off the bench for the manager. 

The key to me is finding a partnership or two that he plays well in. James and TC seem to be working well together. Other teammates need to learn how to utilize his speed more effectively as well.

Good point about partnerships: I agree.

LittleErn

I wonder if he could play as a withdrawn striker, bursting into space in the same way that Fabio did last year? Would cause a lot of panic in the defenders even if his control isn't as good as Fabio.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

I'm surprised how infrequently teams leave a speedy player on the halfway line (or close)
when facing corners or defensive free kicks.
A great outlet for quick breaks and goalie's instant throw or punts.
Yesterday was a prime example, even if the Hull defender hadn't made a mistake.
Even if the opposition understand what's happening, they would still need to leave
2 defenders back + their goalie, leaving "us" having to defend 10 against 8.
Put Robinson and James on halfway would be a whole new dimension to Marios
attacking options.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

alfie

Quote from: rogerpbackinMidEastUS on January 08, 2023, 03:34:26 PM
I'm surprised how infrequently teams leave a speedy player on the halfway line (or close)
when facing corners or defensive free kicks.
A great outlet for quick breaks and goalie's instant throw or punts.
Yesterday was a prime example, even if the Hull defender hadn't made a mistake.
Even if the opposition understand what's happening, they would still need to leave
2 defenders back + their goalie, leaving "us" having to defend 10 against 8.
Put Robinson and James on halfway would be a whole new dimension to Marios
attacking options.
[/quote

I never understand why when defending a corner a player is not on or near halfway, team defends corner and immediately no outlet.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

hovewhite

Quote from: Twig on January 08, 2023, 02:02:44 PM
Quote from: WolverineFFC on January 08, 2023, 01:46:29 PM

Good point about partnerships: I agree.
+2