more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Silva's second longest job (us)

Started by wback, January 11, 2023, 10:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wback

Piece in The Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/4076403/2023/01/11/marco-silva-fulham/?source=emp-shared-article

I'd say:

- Assuming we get the four wins we need (we will), he's bought himself a good long run into next season (worst case scenario is we're bottom of the league in about November and he gets sacked)
- He's probably not yet done enough to get a bigger club looking at him again (but if we qualify for Europe and start next season well, he will)
- He has the rest of this season and a full summer to really work out what he does with the team and the club. There's a lot of opportunity for him to really set something up. There will be quite a lot of change in the squad over the next 12 months, with some familiar faces moving on. How they get replaced is key.
- This is now somewhat uncharted territory for him. Will be interesting to see how he responds to it.

legana

I also think the test in the summer will be how far he is backed and the Khans don't seem reluctant to spend when they can. It seems we have had difficulties enticing players following recent promotions, despite some lofty targets. However, a top half finish this year would make it easier to persuade anybody hesitant to join a 'yo-yo' club. We certainly shouldn't throw money to bring success, as other clubs have shown that doesn't necessarily work. Nevertheless, sensible improvements and a plan to maintain our PL status in the long-term is vital and having Marco involved in that will be crucial.

Tooting legend

No we are not his longest club yet he was at
Estoril for over 3 years I does state since he left
Estoril.

Chutney

It will really depend on how the khans back him, he was clearly frustrated in the speed of deals over the summer and vocalised this. He is still having to use a winger at RB on occasion, has no decent cover for Mitro or Palhinha and if this isnt remedied over the summer I could see him walking away.
C O Y W

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: Chutney on January 11, 2023, 10:38:15 AM
It will really depend on how the khans back him, he was clearly frustrated in the speed of deals over the summer and vocalised this. He is still having to use a winger at RB on occasion, has no decent cover for Mitro or Palhinha and if this isnt remedied over the summer I could see him walking away.

He was frustrated early on but all of those concerns aside from Palhinha were covered by the club. It has turned out that our right back probably isn't up to scratch which is unfortunate but what more cover do you expect for Mitro? 

wback

Quote from: Tooting legend on January 11, 2023, 10:35:29 AM
No we are not his longest club yet he was at
Estoril for over 3 years I does state since he left
Estoril.

Yes, I really should read better. Subject edited.

hovewhite

After this season the real hard work will start to improve on not only this season but last season as well as he's built up not only an attacking brand but a big reputation as well.

Chutney

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on January 11, 2023, 10:40:29 AM
Quote from: Chutney on January 11, 2023, 10:38:15 AM

He was frustrated early on but all of those concerns aside from Palhinha were covered by the club. It has turned out that our right back probably isn't up to scratch which is unfortunate but what more cover do you expect for Mitro? 

Somebody that can score would be good.
C O Y W

Somerset Fulham

I have said it elswehere but unless we pull of a miracle somewhere, there is no top quality centre forward going to come to this club and sit on the bench.  We have our backup and I suspect that we will have to just get on with that.

Jim©

Quote from: Chutney on January 11, 2023, 11:09:43 AM

Someone who's played at Benfica, Napoli, Monaca, Spurs, PSV, someone who's scored at all the clubs he's been at? Ah, someone like Vinicius?

toshes mate

It's important not to cross bridges before we meet them and, believe it or not because of the large helpings of apparent familiarity, everything ahead of us and FFC is uncharted territory!  Mitro dropped into our laps because of a failed deal right on winter window deadline hour and so there's nothing to say the same thing will not happen again perhaps this time with an attacking central midfielder or a versatile wingback who can double as a central attacker or full back either side!   The key is spending wisely and not just for the sake of looking to have done something.  It also helps to have a team like Marco's where we see so much improvement in individuals' play within a squad that has a nice feeling about it and it's important that is retained.

Chutney

Quote from: Jim© on January 11, 2023, 01:15:30 PM

Someone who's played at Benfica, Napoli, Monaca, Spurs, PSV, someone who's scored at all the clubs he's been at? Ah, someone like Vinicius?

Benfica is the only place he did well out of all those you just listed - 34 games 18 goals.

Napoli 0 appearances.

Monaco - 16 games 2 goals.

Spurs - 9 games 1 goal (against marine).

PSV - 26 games 6 goals.

So other than at Benfica, he has been very poor. I fear he's resorting to type with us as he knows he's back up. Either way, we could certainly do a lot better for a back up to Mitro. If Mitrovic has any sort of long period unavailable we will be in big trouble. It is imperative we have a competent back up.
C O Y W

Deeping_white

Quote from: Chutney on January 11, 2023, 03:14:11 PM
Quote from: Jim© on January 11, 2023, 01:15:30 PM

Benfica is the only place he did well out of all those you just listed - 34 games 18 goals.

Napoli 0 appearances.

Monaco - 16 games 2 goals.

Spurs - 9 games 1 goal (against marine).

PSV - 26 games 6 goals.

So other than at Benfica, he has been very poor. I fear he's resorting to type with us as he knows he's back up. Either way, we could certainly do a lot better for a back up to Mitro. If Mitrovic has any sort of long period unavailable we will be in big trouble. It is imperative we have a competent back up.

At Monaco he was a 6 month loan and barely played, at Spurs he hardly played because he was behind the best striker in the world at the time, at PSV he got 12 G/A in 23 games, again as a player that wasn't even starting the majority of those games which is more than decent. So actually what you've done is prove that when he plays regularly he scores at a decent rate, so calling him "very poor" is just flat out not factual. Name a realistic backup for Mitro that doesn't break the bank and would be happy knowing they'll start about 10% of games?

Hatch007

Plus Vinicius scored 6 goals in 9 Europa League appearances for Spurs.

General

I think the key is not to get ahead of ourselves and see it as a gradual building process. Silva has done very well for us all things considering, but we should measure our expectations (being fulham fans and getting overly excited about where we currently are) and focus on how we can continue to build a top competitive squad in the league and not rock the boat as a fan base and club.

We've got a good thing but you can lose that when you start having expectations that are too demanding and too soon. I think Marco has the managerial ability to manage us into a top ten team with flirting with top 7 teams, but we need to let the club build a squad and also not sell our key assets.

Tete, Leno, Palhinha, Mitro are a solid core which Solomon could potentially join, Robinson, Reed, Pereira, BDR, Willian, Diop are solid players who can either hold down a first team spot or more than hold their own as an impact sub. So build on that. The positive is that Marco says we want 2 or 3 players this window to make us more competitive and he says the club are being very ambitious which is positive. If they are and they continue to bring in signings like Leno, Diop, Palhinha, Mitro, Tete who have long contracts and perform well for us in the league then we start to be an exciting club players want to play at and stay at too.

That could be how we build this team.

H4usuallysitting

Solomon to get his first goal on Thursday

Twig

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on January 11, 2023, 06:54:33 PM

He may only get 15 mins so that's a bold prediction.

Rupert

Quote from: Twig on January 11, 2023, 07:22:11 PM
Quote from: H4usuallysitting on January 11, 2023, 06:54:33 PM

He may only get 15 mins so that's a bold prediction.

Yes, but he did not predict which end he will score in.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.