News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why did Diop got dropped for Tosin recently?

Started by Jeroen, January 13, 2023, 05:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

Not a lot to choose between Tosin and Diop, good to have them  both match fit.

ianthailand

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on January 14, 2023, 09:51:13 AM
Quote from: ianthailand on January 14, 2023, 02:11:57 AM
I agree with H4 that Tosin on occasions does seem to lack concentration. Is it because he is such a laid-back person or does he just find it too easy at times?
Whatever, i don't think there's a lot of difference between the two and Marco goes on who is best to combat the next opponent. Marco hasn't got a lot wrong has he!

Morning Ian, Happy New Year.... how's it going
Sabadee Pii Mai to you too young man. All good here, renewed my 1 year Visa yesterday, the wife's not so happy she's got to put up with me for another year. The two boys are happy as i'm paying for 1 College and 1 Work Experience Period.
Thailand has relaxed wearing of masks but most of us still wear them. Hope you're still enjoying the West Country, lovely area.

H4usuallysitting

Quote from: ianthailand on January 14, 2023, 12:30:24 PM
Quote from: H4usuallysitting on January 14, 2023, 09:51:13 AM
Quote from: ianthailand on January 14, 2023, 02:11:57 AM
I agree with H4 that Tosin on occasions does seem to lack concentration. Is it because he is such a laid-back person or does he just find it too easy at times?
Whatever, i don't think there's a lot of difference between the two and Marco goes on who is best to combat the next opponent. Marco hasn't got a lot wrong has he!

Morning Ian, Happy New Year.... how's it going
Sabadee Pii Mai to you too young man. All good here, renewed my 1 year Visa yesterday, the wife's not so happy she's got to put up with me for another year. The two boys are happy as i'm paying for 1 College and 1 Work Experience Period.
Thailand has relaxed wearing of masks but most of us still wear them. Hope you're still enjoying the West Country, lovely area.

Afternoon/Evening Ian....glad all is going well...west country is quite wet... probably be in Hua Hin in May, airline price's are reducing and restrictions lifting.....notice the £ is currently around 40 baht

St Eve

Clearly none of us have a clue, but what a great position to be in and Marco obviously has a working strategy

YankeeJim

Quote from: FFC1987 on January 14, 2023, 07:58:51 AM
Quote from: YankeeJim on January 14, 2023, 05:11:36 AM
Quote from: FreiBird on January 14, 2023, 01:46:17 AM
Quote from: YankeeJim on January 14, 2023, 12:06:01 AM
I find it humorous that some would think you need to rest two players on the sunny side of thirty while expecting a 35 (or is it 36) year old to play every minute of every match.

I find it humorous you think every footballer is built the exact same, has the exact same level of fitness and the same tendency to be injured.

I find it humorous that you seem to know what I think. At what point did I say every footballer? Or anything other than the absurdity that a twenty something has less stamina than a 35 year old. I'm an old git and I'd love to have the stamina that I had ten years ago.

Thought I explained it pretty straight forward really. It's a different kind of exert on the muscles those guys play. Hence the like for like resting. If we tried playing Tosin or Diop every game, the demands on their legs through enduring long sprints would mean injury. Same for Robinson and Tete. Ream, albeit older is in excellent shape but doesn't do those sprints to the level the other guys do. I've no doubt if he was, Ream would be sidelined more and of his body was struggling with demand, we'd see Duffy deployed more.

If this isn't the case, why would you say Ream plays the most and Diop and Tosin are in rotation?

Your point has some merit but how many sprints does a CB actually engage in during a typical match? If there were many I'd think a defensive adjustment would be in order. Few CB's have the pace of the standard league striker. If they did they probably would be midfielders. Ream plays the most because at the moment he is the best CB and leader that we have; the best since Hangeland.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Chi_FFC

Quote from: filham on January 14, 2023, 12:28:36 PM

To be fair not a lot to choose between Tosin, Diop AND Ream...

Whitestone

Quote from: Chi_FFC on January 14, 2023, 07:10:56 PM

Agree with this. I'd go a bit further and suggest as good has Ream has been this season a LCB must surely be a  priority signing in the summer.

Chi_FFC

Quote from: Whitestone on January 14, 2023, 07:21:22 PM
Quote from: Chi_FFC on January 14, 2023, 07:10:56 PM

Agree with this. I'd go a bit further and suggest as good has Ream has been this season a LCB must surely be a  priority signing in the summer.

Certainly a position I think needs to be strengthened in the summer. My take on Ream this season is that there's absolutely no question he has GREATLY exceeded our expectations. Of course those expectations were incredibly low to begin with, and at times over the course of the season I've found that folks seem to grade his performances on a more generous curve than those of his fellow CB's. 

FFC1987

Quote from: YankeeJim on January 14, 2023, 06:20:34 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on January 14, 2023, 07:58:51 AM
Quote from: YankeeJim on January 14, 2023, 05:11:36 AM
Quote from: FreiBird on January 14, 2023, 01:46:17 AM
Quote from: YankeeJim on January 14, 2023, 12:06:01 AM
I find it humorous that some would think you need to rest two players on the sunny side of thirty while expecting a 35 (or is it 36) year old to play every minute of every match.

I find it humorous you think every footballer is built the exact same, has the exact same level of fitness and the same tendency to be injured.

I find it humorous that you seem to know what I think. At what point did I say every footballer? Or anything other than the absurdity that a twenty something has less stamina than a 35 year old. I'm an old git and I'd love to have the stamina that I had ten years ago.

Thought I explained it pretty straight forward really. It's a different kind of exert on the muscles those guys play. Hence the like for like resting. If we tried playing Tosin or Diop every game, the demands on their legs through enduring long sprints would mean injury. Same for Robinson and Tete. Ream, albeit older is in excellent shape but doesn't do those sprints to the level the other guys do. I've no doubt if he was, Ream would be sidelined more and of his body was struggling with demand, we'd see Duffy deployed more.

If this isn't the case, why would you say Ream plays the most and Diop and Tosin are in rotation?

Your point has some merit but how many sprints does a CB actually engage in during a typical match? If there were many I'd think a defensive adjustment would be in order. Few CB's have the pace of the standard league striker. If they did they probably would be midfielders. Ream plays the most because at the moment he is the best CB and leader that we have; the best since Hangeland.

Putting this into context, Tosin is often used against sides with faster strikers and dependant on the other teams press. I think its important to note, that when we're on the backfoot in games, it generally means the sweeper CB, would be exerting the most strenuous fast twitch fibre related muscles which are far more brittle, for longer stretches in the game. SO in this case, Diop and Tosin compared to Ream. That's not to say Ream doesn't sprint around, but tactically, that's not his role so would be less taxing on the body. I think the way this works, sits into your argument that Ream is the best commanding CB we currently have which compliments both Tosin and Diop whilst also working in Silva's favour in not burning out one of those essential CB's. I suppose the counter would be, if Ream is so important, why doesn't he get a rest, seeing as he's older..... I guess that begs the question, is Duffy as suitable a rotating player compared to Tosin/Diop or is Ream simply that important? I'd imagine, it's somewhere between the two if not leaning more in how important Ream is currently.

Some stats back this up too, one I was surprised at was how we're in top 3 of teams who have conceded the most shots on the target in the league. Selective, but would suggest we liek to soak up pressure more during games which again, is taxing on those players bodies.

itombomb

My two theories are either Silva is giving Toisin gametime as in his mind it is 50-50ish between the two of them and he wants to convince him to sign the contract.

Or it is a tactical horses for courses selection. I think Diop is better with the attack in front of him (he's been so good at flying up to win the ball off an oppo forward), whereas Toisin is better against teams where there is a bigger risk of them getting in behind - either teams who sit back and play on the counterattack like Leicester, or in a game like Thursday where Marco wanted us to play further up the pitch (with a higher defensive line) as we looked to compensate for Mitro's absence by getting players closer to Vinicius. 

St Eve

Quote from: itombomb on January 15, 2023, 12:03:15 AM
My two theories are either Silva is giving Toisin gametime as in his mind it is 50-50ish between the two of them and he wants to convince him to sign the contract.

Or it is a tactical horses for courses selection. I think Diop is better with the attack in front of him (he's been so good at flying up to win the ball off an oppo forward), whereas Toisin is better against teams where there is a bigger risk of them getting in behind - either teams who sit back and play on the counterattack like Leicester, or in a game like Thursday where Marco wanted us to play further up the pitch (with a higher defensive line) as we looked to compensate for Mitro's absence by getting players closer to Vinicius. 
Tosin just signed a new contract

Sting of the North

Quote from: St Eve on January 15, 2023, 01:15:01 AM
Quote from: itombomb on January 15, 2023, 12:03:15 AM

Tosin just signed a new contract

Not really. The club just exercised the club option that was already in the contract he signed when he joined. It added one more year to his otherwise expiring contract.

I don't think Silva would ever play anyone because he wants them to sign a new contract though. Silva wants to win games.