more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Eddie Howe

Started by perry geyton, January 15, 2023, 07:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fish

Newcastle fan here,

I think it's important to separate the man, from the football. Eddie Howe took Bournemouth from the doldrums to the Premier League, kept them up on a shoe string, had them playing entertaining football. When he wasn't able to keep them up he took some time. Instead of taking a holiday in Portugal, waiting for the Old-Boy-Network to toss a job his way, he took the chance to better himself.

He worked on the parts of his game that were weak, he worked on team building, defensive systems, control, etc. He visited Atletico Madrid, rugby teams, and a bunch of other places to round out his knowledge.

The current Newcastle team are really leaning into the bad guy label. We're mastering (though not yet masters of) the dark arts, we're shithousing, we're grinding down the clock, because Howe learned that when the team has a limited amount of quality, it needs to alter the dynamic in a different way. He's definitely learned that from Simeone. Aside from the in-match effects of breaking up play, it fosters a real sense of them-against-us, which in turn helps fuel the intense pressing we employ.

Like Howe said after the Liverpool game, we're not here to be liked, we're here to compete.

But the man is humble, thoughtful, measured, respectful and above all incredibly professional. He's done the hard yards and has massively surpassed expectations.

I've seen talking heads in the media saying that the owners (yes they're vile and shouldn't own a football club) will replace him if we get into the CL. That's madness. Here's a cheap manager who the fans love, the players are responding to and who's delivering better than you thought. Why in the holiest of Hells would you replace him until one of those 4 things stop being true.

ffcne

Strange. So Howe has limited quality in the team?
I was extremely impressed by your whole team and did,nt see a weak link .
And Isak and Maxi off the bench
And deserved the win.
And i suppose its the refs lack of control  that allows team(Fulham included) to push
the boundaries.And sorry just to add another gripe Trippier was moving the ball for his free kicks .
Ref spotted it once.

I hear today next season time wasting is going to be clamped down on .
Good news for everyone as all teams do it,

Cambridge Away

Quote from: The Fish on January 17, 2023, 09:59:01 AM
"yes (our Saudi owners) are vile and shouldn't own a football club"
Were you one of the 3% of Geordies who objected then?

perry geyton

Quote from: Cambridge Away on January 15, 2023, 08:49:28 PM
0001.gif He manages a club owned by Saudi Arabia. Nothing class about that
English history is hardly peachy creamy either if you wanna get into that,,,,,
Blokes just doing a job

Cambridge Away

Quote from: perry geyton on January 19, 2023, 03:01:34 PM
Blokes just doing a job
Yeah, the right man to do certain kinds of jobs for wealthy men for cash. Vigorously
Has there ever been a more anxious looking manager than Eddie Howe? Or a human with whiter, more chapped, lips?

ffcne

Blokes just doing a job

How far are we going back ? 1066.Dear oh dear

Rupert

Quote from: ffcne on January 20, 2023, 04:48:24 AM
Blokes just doing a job

No need to go that far back, sadly. We have many things in our history to be extremely proud of, but there are a fair number of dark stains too. Our treatment of India in the 1930s, actions in Ireland for most of the 20th Century, we invented concentration camps in the 2nd Boer War, etc.

This is an emotive topic, so best of luck persuading people to change their views.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

RaySmith

Quote from: Rupert on January 20, 2023, 06:56:54 AM
Blokes just doing a job

No need to go that far back, sadly. We have many things in our history to be extremely proud of, but there are a fair number of dark stains too. Our treatment of India in the 1930s, actions in Ireland for most of the 20th Century, we invented concentration camps in the 2nd Boer War, etc.

This is an emotive topic, so best of luck persuading people to change their views.

The Slave Trade.....

But that doesn't excuse allowing such repressive regimes as the Saudis to gain an influential foothold in our national game, for sport-washing purposes.

You can't compare Howe to an unemployed bloke, desperate for a job to feed his family. Though if you watch/listen to games involving teams like Newcastle and City, paying subs to do so, as I do, just as I, and most fans, watched the Quatar World Cup then we are also complicit, I suppose.

Yes, this is an emotive topic, and also a highly political one - and politics are banned on here.

Bassey the warrior

Newcastle fan here,

I think it's important to separate the man, from the football. Eddie Howe took Bournemouth from the doldrums to the Premier League, kept them up on a shoe string, had them playing entertaining football. When he wasn't able to keep them up he took some time. Instead of taking a holiday in Portugal, waiting for the Old-Boy-Network to toss a job his way, he took the chance to better himself.

He worked on the parts of his game that were weak, he worked on team building, defensive systems, control, etc. He visited Atletico Madrid, rugby teams, and a bunch of other places to round out his knowledge.

The current Newcastle team are really leaning into the bad guy label. We're mastering (though not yet masters of) the dark arts, we're shithousing, we're grinding down the clock, because Howe learned that when the team has a limited amount of quality, it needs to alter the dynamic in a different way. He's definitely learned that from Simeone. Aside from the in-match effects of breaking up play, it fosters a real sense of them-against-us, which in turn helps fuel the intense pressing we employ.

Like Howe said after the Liverpool game, we're not here to be liked, we're here to compete.

But the man is humble, thoughtful, measured, respectful and above all incredibly professional. He's done the hard yards and has massively surpassed expectations.

I've seen talking heads in the media saying that the owners (yes they're vile and shouldn't own a football club) will replace him if we get into the CL. That's madness. Here's a cheap manager who the fans love, the players are responding to and who's delivering better than you thought. Why in the holiest of Hells would you replace him until one of those 4 things stop being true.

Big respect to you for acknowledging the owners shouldn't be allowed to run a club. I can understand why many fans are willing to turn a blind eye to the dodginess of the new owners, not just because they are wealthy but more importantly because it meant no more Mike Ashley who for very different reasons shouldn't be able to run a club.

I agree that Howe comes across well as a human being, very likeable. I am however disappointed that he's learnt some traits from Simeone who's team I really can't stand for all the so-called dark arts, I really hope we don't see more of this in the Premier League. That being said I think apart from that he's doing a remarkable job.

Bassey the warrior

Blokes just doing a job

I'd agree with all that, but ultimately our government don't own a football club, so it's a moot point.

perry geyton

Blokes just doing a job

Thanks Rupert for saving me effort, could mention a few hundred other things too but I won't bother

Sometimes it's hard to get people to look in the mirror

perry geyton

Either way I still think Eddie Howe is currently the best English manager by a long long shot

Somerset Fulham

I am still struggling to understand why we would need to back to 1066, we got our arses handed to us on a plate and we were at home.

I like Howe, I am quite surprised at some of the opinons of him here to be honest. That is no criticism, just an opinion.

Cambridge Away

Quote from: perry geyton on January 20, 2023, 09:18:30 PM
Blokes just doing a job

Thanks Rupert for saving me effort, could mention a few hundred other things too but I won't bother

Sometimes it's hard to get people to look in the mirror
Which people? English people? You? Maybe some of us feel we do enough to criticise those who we feel don't

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Cambridge Away on January 21, 2023, 08:19:39 PM
Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on January 20, 2023, 07:14:49 AM
Newcastle fan here,

I agree that Howe comes across well as a human being, very likeable. I am however disappointed that he's learnt some traits from Simeone who's team I really can't stand for all the so-called dark arts, I really hope we don't see more of this in the Premier League.
Doesn't that contradict what you say?
Why does he come across well? Because he looks like a rabbit perpetually in the headlights? When did meekness become an endearing quality?
I'll leave you with a quote from the Life of Brian
"Blessed are the meek"
... "What Jesus fails to appreciate is that it's the meek who are the problem."

I'm saying you can separate him as a coach and person.

The Fish

Quote from: ffcne on January 18, 2023, 06:09:33 PM
Strange. So Howe has limited quality in the team?
I was extremely impressed by your whole team and did,nt see a weak link .
And Isak and Maxi off the bench
And deserved the win.
And i suppose its the refs lack of control  that allows team(Fulham included) to push
the boundaries.And sorry just to add another gripe Trippier was moving the ball for his free kicks .
Ref spotted it once.

I hear today next season time wasting is going to be clamped down on .
Good news for everyone as all teams do it,

We're playing well, but it's clear that we've not got any depth in our squad. We play 3 CMs and have zero players who can play that position aside from them. We don't have a single true DM. We're playing Big Dan Burn at left back. Given where we are in the league, we're way behind the strength in depth that the teams around us enjoy.

The Fish

Quote from: Mitrovic the warrior on January 20, 2023, 07:14:49 AM

Big respect to you for acknowledging the owners shouldn't be allowed to run a club. I can understand why many fans are willing to turn a blind eye to the dodginess of the new owners, not just because they are wealthy but more importantly because it meant no more Mike Ashley who for very different reasons shouldn't be able to run a club.

I agree that Howe comes across well as a human being, very likeable. I am however disappointed that he's learnt some traits from Simeone who's team I really can't stand for all the so-called dark arts, I really hope we don't see more of this in the Premier League. That being said I think apart from that he's doing a remarkable job.

Bit in bold is often overlooked or misunderstood, so it's good to see you say that.

Ashley was absolutely reviled, it's typical of the man that even in his departure he fucks us over one last time. What would have been a time of great celebration will now forever be tainted by the people that bought us.

There was an Athletic article asking "Are you in favour of the Saudi takeover?", failing to distinguish the two issues at the heart of it. Are you in favour of a takeover would have likely yielded 100% positive. "Would you prefer another bid to the Saudi's?" would, in my honest opinion, have yielded much fewer in favour of the PIF buyout.

Unfortunately to win games we have to use a LOT of the dark arts, and we'll need to until we're stocking the pool of players with the kind of talent you see at Arsenal, or Man City etc.