more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Books

Started by BalDrick, January 11, 2011, 02:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BalDrick

'Just finished birds song for the second time'

Just ordered it - though I have 4 books in my to-read pile, including the 1,325-page version of The Stand, plus another in the post, so not sure when I'll read it, but I don't read things in the order they arrive. Thanks
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Blingo

Quote from: epsomraver on January 11, 2011, 04:21:46 PM
Quote from: Blingo on January 11, 2011, 03:55:40 PM
The Beano annual 2011. Great read, even better pictures.
Is that the one with Capello starring as Dennis's dad?

Gimme a break i'm still on the pictures ;p

RidgeRider

Quote from: Peabody on January 11, 2011, 03:51:56 PM
Just finished Dan Browns "The Lost Symbol" which I found a bit disappointing, rambled quite a bit. Agree with LB and The Millenium books, however, the second book is slightly disappointing but the third book really does bring the series back on form. Also read The Pillars of the earth and World Without End and thouroughly enjoyed them.

I am actually engaged in Angels and Demons right now. Not as engaging as Davinci Code. I bought it a book sale at the local library a year ago and decided it is time to read it. Just finished The Choice by Nicholas Sparks, its a love story but not overly 'chickish'. Decent read. Not sure where to head next but now I have a list. Thanks Baldrick.

Peabody

Just a general question, has anyone ever read The Ragged Trousered Philantrophist? I read it some years ago and found it fascinating.

HatterDon

Quote from: LBNo11 on January 11, 2011, 03:18:41 PM
...The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest, the final book in Stieg Larsson's The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo Millenium Trilogy. An amazing adventure, a real pleasure to read it, and so sad that the author died shortly after presenting them to the publisher so no more tales of Salander, Blomkvist or Berger and Vanger :012:

Highly recommended...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Girl-Dragon-Tattoo-Millennium-Trilogy/dp/1847245455

I recently finished the first one, Ed, and am waiting very UNpatiently to begin the second. Wonderful writing, plotting, characters, suspense, and just disturbing enough to keep you on edge.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Chopper

Just finished Andrew Collins excellent biography of Billy Bragg "Still Suitable For Miners", really enjoyable read. I liked Billy's stuff but had never been a big enough fan to know much about him. Comes across as a genuinely nice bloke.

Also read "War Horse" by Michael Morpurgo which is a "children's book" about a horse that ends up near the frontline during World War One. Well written and moving story that is obviously pitched to be understood by a ten year old yet is still very much worth a read as an adult.

About to read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy.
Sold my soul to the Green Pole

The Equalizer

I've recently completed Dumas' 'The Count of Monte Cristo' for the second time. One amazing book.

I've also recently finished 'London' by Edward Rutherfurd. It's a compelling history of London which has been dramatised to follow the lives of 5 different families across over 2000 years. The drama is really a bolt-on to the true drama of the history itself which was a real eye-opener to me. London is a place I've taken too much for granted over the years.

I'm currently working through "What's Your Bright Idea" which is a book about starting your own business. Which I'm going to do.

Anyone need their computer fixed?  :hook:
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

CULTUREVULTURE

London Match by Len Deighton

FC Silver Fox

This thread is wonderful. Thanks all. I read a lot and one of the best books I have read is Burnt sugar dreaming by John Ellen. Ask Corked Hut when his next novel is published and join the queue to buy it.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

CULTUREVULTURE

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on January 11, 2011, 08:50:59 PM
This thread is wonderful. Thanks all. I read a lot and one of the best books I have read is Burnt sugar dreaming by John Ellen. Ask Corked Hut when his next novel is published and join the queue to buy it.

That's what's great about this forum. It's full of people who are literate.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: The Equalizer on January 11, 2011, 06:36:43 PM
I've recently completed Dumas' 'The Count of Monte Cristo' for the second time. One amazing book.

I've also recently finished 'London' by Edward Rutherfurd. It's a compelling history of London which has been dramatised to follow the lives of 5 different families across over 2000 years. The drama is really a bolt-on to the true drama of the history itself which was a real eye-opener to me. London is a place I've taken too much for granted over the years.

I'm currently working through "What's Your Bright Idea" which is a book about starting your own business. Which I'm going to do.

The count of monte cristo is a fantastic book. A true epic and a great holiday read!

The Equalizer

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on January 11, 2011, 09:07:20 PM

The count of monte cristo is a fantastic book. A true epic and a great holiday read!

Holiday? It look me all fugging summer!
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

CorkedHat

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on January 11, 2011, 08:50:59 PM

You are very kind FC. My next novel is about three months away although the Front Cover has been designed by fellow FOFFER Mr White JC.
It is called "Shadows of a Winter Sun."  It is set in a timber town in the 1940s.
The book about my late wife and which includes many of you in the text is being rewritten and like my novel should be available in about three months.
Incidentally, the reason why I wanted to become a writer was after I read "Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck. We talk about life changing books but this epic changed my mind on so many aspects and it was so beautifully written that I can't describe what it truly means to me.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

BalDrick

Quote from: Peabody on January 11, 2011, 05:27:57 PM
Just a general question, has anyone ever read The Ragged Trousered Philantrophist? I read it some years ago and found it fascinating.

Yeah - a few months ago actually. Oh probably more like 6 months now. Loved it, amazing book.

BalDrick

Quote from: Chopper on January 11, 2011, 06:13:09 PM
Just finished Andrew Collins excellent biography of Billy Bragg "Still Suitable For Miners", really enjoyable read. I liked Billy's stuff but had never been a big enough fan to know much about him. Comes across as a genuinely nice bloke.

Also read "War Horse" by Michael Morpurgo which is a "children's book" about a horse that ends up near the frontline during World War One. Well written and moving story that is obviously pitched to be understood by a ten year old yet is still very much worth a read as an adult.

About to read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy.

Andrew Collins as in 6Music presenter and former editor of NME? I like him, plus I like Billy Bragg (met him at Glastonbury many years ago, really nice guy), going to check that one out.

My daughter (10) has read loads of Morpurgo, she finished Shadow the other day - she actually came downstairs to see us because she was crying because of the book, which is an important point in anyone's reading life I feel. But she loved the book, and everything else by him.

The Road's great, but dark. All the Pretty Horses by him is superb, best thing I've read by him by a mile (Blood Meridian and No Country being the others thus far).

TonyGilroy

Quote from: BalDrick on January 12, 2011, 07:59:09 AM

Yeah - a few months ago actually. Oh probably more like 6 months now. Loved it, amazing book.

Weird coincidence.

I've not read Ragged Trousered Philanthopist but have just started folk singer Shirley Collins book "America Over The Water" about her song collecting trips with Alan Lomax.

First chapter I read last night was her talking about her family background and it seems her uncle was a writer who published a biography of the author of RTP.

AmericanJames

Just finished I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max and Dead or Alive by Tom Clancy. Really enjoyed them both. I picked up the Tucker Max book last night only planning to read a couple chapters and 5 hours later I had finished it. Really made me feel better about some of my drunken debauched behavior
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

BalDrick

'I picked up the Tucker Max book last night only planning to read a couple chapters and 5 hours later I had finished it.'

God I wish I had enough spare time these days to do something like that - it's what life's for isn't it? Similar to the 'oh poo it's 3am, gotta get up in 3 hours - sod it, another chapter isn't going to hurt'.

Peabody

Quote from: BalDrick on January 12, 2011, 07:59:09 AM

Ifound it very moving and it took many years before it was published.

The Doctor

I've also recently finished 'London' by Edward Rutherfurd.

If you liked "London", give "Sarum" a go - in a similar vein but set in Salisbury.  Been years since I read it.  I think he's also written another historical epic set in Russia which I keep meaning to get round to.

I'm currently on "Towers of Midnight" by Robert Jordan and Brendon Sanderson.  Part 13 of a 14 part fantasy epic.  I do love a bit of escapism now and again.  Someone bought me the first book back in 2004 and I've been wading through the series ever since.  Once I finished the 11th book, I found out that Robert Jordan had died shortly after it was published.  He left copious notes and the publishers bought in Sanderson to complete the series, so us followers get to see how it all ends.  It makes "Lord of the Rings" look like a kids' bedtime story