watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A Cold Cottage Tonight

Started by filham, January 23, 2023, 01:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

Are records kept of the prevailing temperatures for our home matches, tonight could be a record low. In the old days ,before under soil heating matches were unlikely to be played  when the thermometer dropped below zero because of the risk to players on the hard frozen turf.

The last couple of nights in Shepperton we have experienced about minus 5 degrees C , forecast for London tonight is slightly warmer than this but is still likely to be sub zero.

Those of us in the upper JH will have the advantage of the close packed fans and wooden seats which will be warmer than the plastic seats elsewhere.

alfie

Quote from: filham on January 23, 2023, 01:03:13 PM
Are records kept of the prevailing temperatures for our home matches, tonight could be a record low. In the old days ,before under soil heating matches were unlikely to be played  when the thermometer dropped below zero because of the risk to players on the hard frozen turf.

The last couple of nights in Shepperton we have experienced about minus 5 degrees C , forecast for London tonight is slightly warmer than this but is still likely to be sub zero.

Those of us in the upper JH will have the advantage of the close packed fans and wooden seats which will be warmer than the plastic seats elsewhere.
Might be a bit chilly top of the Riverside.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

bencher

Quote from: alfie on January 23, 2023, 01:05:09 PM

Might be a bit chilly top of the Riverside.

I will be there and dressed accordingly. Are you allowed to bring a thermos into the stadium these days?

SuffolkWhite

Hat,gloves,puffa jacket,snood,thermal long John'S, thick socks plus the rest of the clothing, I won't freeze but I will sweat buckets on the tube!!!!
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Twig

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on January 23, 2023, 01:22:36 PM
Hat,gloves,puffa jacket,snood,thermal long John'S, thick socks plus the rest of the clothing, I won't freeze but I will sweat buckets on the tube!!!!

I agree. I can dress warmly enough but I hate the journey dressed as Michelin man

davew

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on January 23, 2023, 01:22:36 PM
I will be dressed like you, except that I will be watching the game from my lounge, can't afford to turn the heating on. Enjoy the game!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

filham

Rumour is that the high price for seats in the Riverside includes heated seats and that is the reason we will not see them standing a lot.

Southcoastffc

Cold???? 4 celsius, feeling like 2 with slight winds - that's positively Spring!  (High blood pressure has its advantages)
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Mince n Tatties

Thermal vest,2 Tshirts,woolly jumper😅 and top coat.
Thin layers are best for insulation.Coyw.

RaySmith

A reminder of what it used  to be like filham, with the Cottage crowd boosted for this Dv2 game v Oldham by Man U fans, because their game at QPR was called off because of the icy conditions - and they wanted to see Georgie Best playing for us.

Well, Best coped with the conditions very well, as did Teddy Maybank making his home debut, both with great goals, and Gerry Peyton, also, making his debut, and Fulham had a brilliant 5-0 win, but you can see the players slipping all over the place, risking injury. Bobby Moore was also playing for us - Best and Moore in the same Fulham team!

https://youtu.be/Ld9OMroov7U

Twig

Quote from: Southcoastffc on January 23, 2023, 03:49:41 PM
Cold???? 4 celsius, feeling like 2 with slight winds - that's positively Spring!  (High blood pressure has its advantages)

I don't know which forecasting app you use but that's not the forecast I'm seeing.

filham

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on January 23, 2023, 03:54:54 PM
Thermal vest,2 Tshirts,woolly jumper😅 and top coat.
Thin layers are best for insulation.Coyw.
No such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing

Finnans Right Peg

Quote from: filham on January 23, 2023, 02:12:04 PM
Rumour is that the high price for seats in the Riverside includes heated seats and that is the reason we will not see them standing a lot.

Can 100 per cent say that rumour is false im sitting init now and its freezing unless of course mine isn't plugged in

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Finnans Right Peg on January 23, 2023, 07:21:53 PM
Quote from: filham on January 23, 2023, 02:12:04 PM

Can 100 per cent say that rumour is false im sitting init now and its freezing unless of course mine isn't plugged in

You haven't put a shilling in the meter,that's why.

ron

Quote from: RaySmith on January 23, 2023, 04:14:02 PM

A reminder of what it used  to be like filham, with the Cottage crowd boosted for this Dv2 game v Oldham by Man U fans, because their game at QPR was called off because of the icy conditions - and they wanted to se Georgie Best playing for us.

Well, Best coped with the conditions very well, as did Teddy Maybank making his home debut, both with great goals, and Gerry Peyton, also, making his debut, and Fulham had a brilliant 5-0 win, but you can see the players slipping all over the place, risking injury.

https://youtu.be/Ld9OMroov7U

I worked for Gulf Air in those distant days, and had to rush to Heathrow at the final whistle of that Oldham game to get the evening flight back to Bahrain. Aaahhh, happy days.....

SP

I hadn't been looking forward to the cold last night but didn't think it was too bad in the lower Riverside?  However, that could be due to the fact that my house is so cold due to the limited use of the heating.

Finnans Right Peg

Thought the upper riverside was a bit chilly but the seats were far more comfortable, mind you they should be for that price .