watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff - 27/01/23...

Started by WhiteJC, January 27, 2023, 12:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham bidding to sign Torino midfielder Sasa Lukic?

Fulham have reportedly made contact with Torino regarding a deal for midfielder Sasa Lukic.

The Cottagers are currently enjoying an excellent first year back in the Premier League, collecting 31 points from 21 games to sit in seventh position in the standings.

Harrison Reed, Joao Palhinha and Andreas Pereira have formed an effective relationship in the three central-midfield roles, the latter two only moving to West London in the summer.

However, proven top-flight alternatives to the trio are in short supply, with the likes of Nathaniel Chalobah and Tom Cairney only making one start apiece.

On the back of 11 first-team additions having been made in the previous transfer window, Marco Silva is yet to make any signings since the turn of the year.

Nevertheless, according to transfer expert Fabrizio Romano, Fulham are making an attempt to sign Lukic before the end of the month.

The 26-year-old has played a key role in a Torino side that occupies eighth position in this season's Serie A, starting 13 of their 19 fixtures.

Lukic has chipped in with two goals during a campaign where he has also represented Serbia at the World Cup.

The long-serving Torino man started all three fixtures for his country, who were eliminated before the knockout stages after failing to defeat either Brazil, Cameroon or Switzerland.

Romano says that Fulham have put forward a proposal worth €8m (£7.03m), although that has allegedly been rejected by Torino officials.

Lukic has less than 18 months remaining on his contract, but he may be open to a new challenge after being tied to Il Toro since 2016.

Fulham are currently preparing to face Sunderland in the FA Cup fourth round, although there appears little prospect of Lukic becoming a Cottagers player ahead of that tie.

Silva's side will then head into the West London derby with Chelsea, which is due to take place at Stamford Bridge on February 3.

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/transfer-talk/news/fulham-bidding-to-sign-torino-midfielder-lukic_505099.html

WhiteJC

Tony Mowbray drops a strong Sunderland selection hint ahead of FA Cup trip to Fulham

Tony Mowbray has dropped a strong hint that he'll pick a strong Sunderland side in the fourth round of the FA Cup this weekend.

Mowbray is still facing a number of injury issues, with Dennis Cirkin stepping his recovery this week but not expected to be available.

Corry Evans will be absent after suffering an ACL injury that will likely rule him out for the rest of the season.

Mowbray has warned that Fulham's strength means he has to pick a side that can compete.

"I'm very conscious of the history of this club, I've said many times about how strongly I remember 1973," Mowbray said.

"We want to try and do well but we have to consider the context, they're a form team in the Premier League at the moment - I know they've lost a couple of tight games recently but I've watched them back and they didn't deserve that.

"I think the balance for their manager will be whether they try to get some confidence and winning feeling back, or whether they look to the next league game [with their selection].

"That said, some of the players who haven't been regulars this season absolutely ripped the Championship to shreds last season, players like Tom Cairney and Harry Wilson. They were way too good for that division.

"Whatever team they put out will be difficult and we have to be ready for that, I don't see it as a game where we put all the kids in because it doesn't really matter, it's a game where with a huge travelling support, we have to go and try and be competitive and see where we're at.

"We've got the odd problem selection wise, we're not sure if Aji Alese is going to be fit as he hasn't really trained last week after coming back into the team so quickly against Middlesbrough.

"Niall Huggins has been back training but not for very long, so generally it's that left-back decision [that's difficult]. We've then got a few decisions to make elsewhere on the pitch."

Despite losing their last two league fixtures Fulham currently sit seventh in the Premier League.

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/football/sunderland-afc/tony-mowbray-drops-a-strong-sunderland-selection-hint-ahead-of-fa-cup-trip-to-fulham-4002426

WhiteJC

Sunderland's FA Cup clash at Fulham is a chance to test their 'credentials' says Tony Mowbray

Tony Mowbray has explained his approach to this weekend's FA Cup game at Fulham, and given an injury update

Tony Mowbray's sees Sunderland's FA Cup fourth round tie at Fulham as a chance for his side to test their credentials against Premier League opposition - and insists he will not 'put the kids in' this weekend. The Black Cats' Championship campaign takes precedence but the head coach is not taking the cup lightly, not least because he respects Sunderland's history in the competition and this is the 50th anniversary of the club's famous triumph against Leeds United at Wembley in 1973.

Sunderland are part of a pack of clubs who are in with a chance of a Championship play-off place and Mowbray says Saturday's game at Craven Cottage is an opportunity to measure themselves against a Fulham side that finished top of the pile last season to earn promotion to the top flight and now sits seventh in the table and is in with a chance of European qualification. "The history of every football club is crucially important," said Mowbray.

"I'm very conscious of 50 years ago [when Sunderland last lifted the FA Cup]. We want to do well, but we have to put into context that we're playing against a team that is one of the form teams in the Premier League at this moment.

"I know they have lost two really tight games [against Newcastle United and Spurs] and I have watched both of those games and they probably didn't deserve to lose either of them, but they did. I think the balance for their manager is whether they try and find a winning way again to get more confidence and belief, or do they look to the next league game and keep going and see if they can qualify for Europe?

"When I look at their squad, even the players that haven't played on a regular basis are still players that played every week in the Championship last year. The likes of Tom Cairney isn't a regular starter, Harry Wilson hasn't been a regular starter ... and yet they ripped the Championship to shreds last year, they were way too good for that division.

"Whoever they play, whatever team they put out, they are going to be really difficult to play against and we should be ready for that. I don't see it as a game where we put all the kids in and it doesn't really matter, it's a game where we will have a huge travelling support and we need to go and try and be competitive against a really good team.

"Let's see where we are; let's check out our credentials almost and see if we can compete with a team that is flying pretty high in the Premier League."

As far as squad rotation is concerned, Mowbray's room for manoeuvre is limited, with skipper Corry Evans this week ruled out for the remainder of the season, while the likes of Alex Pritchard, Dennis Cirkin, Lynden Gooch, and long-term casualty Elliot Embleton have all been missing of late, and Luke O'Nien is ineligible as he serves the second game of a three-match suspension. Aji Alese returned from injury for last weekend's win against Middlesbrough but has not trained this week, and Mowbray indicated that he will not risk starting him in the cup.

New midfield signing Pierre Ekwah will come into the equation after he completed his move from West Ham this week. And full-back Niall Huggins could come into Mowbray's thinking after he resumed training this week after recovering from an ankle issue.

Asked about injuries, Mowbray said: "There are always problems! Whatever team we put out, I'll make them aware that Fulham are a really good team who are really well coached.

"They can play positional football because they have really good technical footballers, so it is a real challenge for us. It's not going to be like a Championship game, it's almost going to be like a different sport, really, when you play top teams who play positional football and move the ball around really quickly.

"It's a great challenge to go and test ourselves and see how we get on. We've got the odd question over fitness.

"Is Aji going to be fit or not? Is Niall Huggins going to be fit having not kicked a ball for a long time? Generally, that left-back position is half an issue for us.

"Then we have to decide who is going to play in this role or that role and who is going to be on the bench. They're not problems, really, they're decisions.

"Niall trained today, but he's only a few days into training having been out for a period of time. And yet Aji had five weeks without kicking a ball, really, and then came and played the other day.

"It's maybe a big ask for Aji, who hasn't trained this week on the back of Sunday, to think about starting again - I'm not sure that's the answer. We'll assess it tomorrow, see who trains, and what we think the balance of the team is going to be."

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sunderlands-fa-cup-clash-fulham-26080190

WhiteJC

Fulham have made €20m offer for Brazilian midfielder – Whites trying to rush deal

Fulham have made an attempt to sign Fluminense midfielder André, according to claims from Brazil.

The offer was first revealed by journalist Jorge Nicola, who claims that the Whites put €20m on the table to sign the youngster.

Fulham's idea was to land him on loan with an obligatory purchase. Then there'd be some short-term instalments for the payment to be made until 2024.

It's said there was hurry from the Whites to make the deal happen this week. That's why they also offered Fluminense a percentage of a future move, and the player would earn five times more in England.

But the Tricolor are focused on keeping André, and the bid was turned down, as president Mario Bittencourt has been claiming they want to hold him until 2024.

It turns out that after Nicola's report, Globo Esporte also came up with a story. They claim they 'confirmed' with people close to the player that Fulham made contact, willing to pay €20m.

They say that 'would not be for now', since the Whites can't afford such a transfer in January because of Financial Fair Play. They don't make it clear whether the move wouldn't happen now, or if they'd try to leave the payment for later, as in that first story.

Either way, it's once again said Fluminense state that André is not for sale, and Marco Silva's side should come for him at another time.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/fulham-made-e20m-offer-brazilian-midfielder-whites-trying-rush-deal/

WhiteJC

Fulham transfer stance on defender revealed as four other Premier League clubs circle

Latest news on the transfer front regarding Fulham

Fulham are keen to keep hold of Tosin Adarabioyo in this transfer window. The defender is reportedly attracting plenty of interest from elsewhere.

As per Sky Sports (live transfer blog, 25.01.23, 08:45), the Cottagers have 'no intention' on cashing in on him before the end of January with the deadline next Tuesday. The same source claims four other Premier League clubs are keen along with some unnamed European teams.

However, Fulham want him to stay and plan on extending his contract. He has made 14 appearances in all competitions so far this season, 12 of which have been starts, and is still very much in Marco Silva's plans.

Tim Ream and Issa Diop has been the centre-back pairing over recent times as the Whites continue to impress in the league but Adarabioyo provides strong competition for that department. He has been on the books at Craven Cottage since 2020 after joining from Manchester City and played a key role in the promotion from the Championship in the last campaign.

In other news, Sheffield Wednesday plan to hold 'crunch talks' with ex-Fulham defender Michael Hector over a potential deal, as per Yorkshire Live. He has been on trial with the Owls recently and has been a free agent for over six months now.

https://www.londonworld.com/sport/football/fulham/fulham-transfer-stance-on-defender-revealed-as-four-other-premier-league-clubs-circle-4002959

WhiteJC

Fulham will sign Shane Duffy permanently this month in order to enable the loan signing of Cedric Soares from Arsenal, according to a report.

Fulham have been heavily linked with the imminent signing of Cedric Soares from Arsenal before the January transfer window closes, but the latest reports suggest it will be a loan move without an option or obligation to buy.

That creates an issue for Fulham, as the Cottagers already have Shane Duffy and Dan James on loan, and the Premier League has a cap of two loanees from other Premier League clubs.

The Daily Mail report that Fulham will solve this problem by signing Duffy on a permanent deal from Brighton.

That deal is the cheaper to complete, compared to bringing in James permanently, so it's the preferred option this month.

Fulham and Arsenal have already agreed on a six-month loan deal, and Fulham will cover Cedric's current wages in full.

Cedric reportedly earns close to £100,000-a-week at Arsenal, more than the £65,000-a-week previously reported.

The reason for the confusion is that Arsenal were indeed initially paying Cedric £65,000-a-week, as he was on loan and those were his wages at Southampton.

But when he signed permanently, his wages evidently increased.

Charles Watts reports that it was a tough decision for Cedric to leave this month, given Arsenal's position in a title race. But his desire to play regularly and Marco Silva's determination to sign him won out.

Given the complications of the loan, this one may drag on a little longer. Still, it now looks like it will eventually go through before Tuesday's deadline.

https://dailycannon.com/2023/01/fulham-duffy-cedric/

WhiteJC

Lukic Nears Torino Exit with Fulham Set for Opening Bid

Torino midfielder Sasa Lukic is ever closer to the exit door, as Premier League side Fulham aim to lure him away from northern Italy to London. The Granata are already closing in on Hellas Verona midfielder Ivan Ilic to replace the Serbia international.

As per latest reports from Tuttomercatoweb, Torino are expecting to receive an offer for Lukic in the range of €8-10M in the coming week before the transfer window shuts close. A three-year deal worth €2M net per season until the summer of 2026 is expected to be offered by the Cottagers.

Lukic asked to leave the club last summer, with the lingering interest of Roma and Milan, but could not find an apt suitor to secure his move. He was also stripped of the club's armband.

Lukic's exit would accelerate efforts for Verona's 21-year-old Ilic, who is also trailed by French giants Olympique de Marseille. The ex-Partizan Belgrade midfielder has 14 goals in 161 appearances for the Granata since joining in 2016.

https://cultofcalcio.com/lukic-nears-torino-exit-with-fulham-set-for-opening-bid/

WhiteJC

Tim Ream almost declined surprise USMNT World Cup call from Gregg Berhalter

Tim Ream admitted he nearly declined his call-up to the United States men's national team for the 2022 World Cup.

Ream surprised by Berhalter call
    Had been left out of qualifiers
    But played important role in Qatar

WHAT HAPPENED? The center back has been excellent for Fulham upon the club's return to the Premier League, thus it was no surprise for fans of the English top-flight to see him called up to the USMNT for the World Cup. However, Ream himself was taken aback by the call given his lack of playing time for his country before the tournament, and almost declined the chance to go to the Middle East.

WHAT THEY SAID: "To see [Gregg Berhalter's] name pop up on my phone, I was just like, 'No way, this could not be possible,'" he explained to Men in Blazers. "It took some convincing [for me to go to Qatar]. I can be completely honest with it, the way things had gone, I just wasn't in the right place mentally right then and there with that first phone call to say, 'Yeah I'm there.' Because I wasn't fully confident that they were confident that I could help the team, and so I told him I had to sleep on it."

THE BIGGER PICTURE: Ream, 35, is in the form of his life and recently signed a contract extension at Fulham. He was a stabilizing force in Qatar as the USMNT handled the controversial lack of playing time for winger Gio Reyna.

WHAT NEXT FOR REAM? While you can never be certain, the prospect of Fulham facing Premier League relegation now looks incredibly unlikely. Heading into the second half of the season, the American has an important role to play in fighting for as high a finish as possible.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/tim-ream-almost-declined-surprise-usmnt-world-cup-call-from-gregg-berhalter/bltb636e1cef38efcc2

WhiteJC

Fulham eyeing Sasa Lukic swoop

Fulham are set to make a bid for Torino midfielder, with Marcol Silva keen on bolstering his options before the window shuts.

According to Tutto Mercato, Sasa Lukic has emerged as a target for Fulham, who could make a bid for the Serbian midfielder. The Cottagers are set to offer €8 million to Torino as Marco Silva is keen to bolster his squad with the 26-year-old Serie A ace before the window shuts.

Fulham are putting in their best efforts to bring in necessary players before the transfer window shuts. There's limited time left in the market for any surprise or protracted moves, but the Cottagers are willing to try what they can finish.

The Cottagers have given themselves a decent chance to finish in European places if they can sustain their current form. Marco Silva would need reinforcements to do so, as he cannot prolong a deep run with the current squad depth.

He is already attempting a loan move for Arsenal star Cedric Soares, while also looking at other areas of his team. If they cannot tie up a move, Silva has lined up many right-back options for a late swoop.

Silva also wants a new midfielder to compete with summer signing Joao Palhinha. The Cottagers' boss would like more security in the central zone and could even use two holding midfielders in a game that demands such a tweak. The Portuguese star is the only proficient star in the role and would need another there.

They want 26-year-old Serie A ace Sasa Lukic to join before the window shuts. The Serbian midfielder has plenty of interest and remains contracted to Torino until 2024. The Italian side could entertain offers if it meets their valuation. They may remain wary of selling him so late in the window, but anything can happen in the latter stages.

Fulham are preparing a bid worth €8 million for the 26-year-old Serie A ace, which may fall a bit short of his current market value. According to Transfermarkt, the Serbian is reportedly valued at €13 million, but the Cottagers could be hopeful.

They also plan a contract proposal worth €2 million per season net salary until 2026. The offer may entice Lukic, but much will depend on Torino's final decision. The Serie A side may ask for more money, but there could be confidence that a deal might conclude.

Lukic will strengthen Fulham's team and improve their midfield option. It allows Silva to have different ideas alongside Palinha, which could boost their confidence ahead of a possible European finish.

https://thehardtackle.com/transfer-news/2023/01/27/fulham-eyeing-sasa-lukic-swoop/