Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6652104,00.html

Cottagers check out keeper

Noring handed Fulham trial

By Kent Hedlundh   

Last updated: 11th January 2011   

Hughes: Noring trial

Fulham have handed a trial to teenage goalkeeper Viktor Noring as Mark Hughes considers adding to his options.

The Trelleborg shot-stopper has flown into Craven Cottage from Sweden to spend a few days under the watchful eye of Hughes and his coaching staff.

And he could earn a move to the Premier League club if he impresses in the coming days.

But Hughes has been warned that he will have to dip into his transfer kitty if he is to secure the services of the 19-year-old.

Trelleborg chairman Per-Anders Abrahamsson told Sydsvenskan: "We certainly want 15-20million Kronor (£1.5-2million)."

White Noise

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/01/madness_on_the_transfer_tradin.php

Madness on transfer trading floor

Posted by Phil Mison 7 hours, 28 minutes ago

© Getty Images

Eleven days in and that sinister cloaked figure of the night, the Transfer Window, stalks the unwary, the innocent and the vulnerable, knife at the ready, but yet to strike in earnest.

Representing Fulham, Mark Hughes is in play with £8 million pounds of the chairman's money. So, straight off the bat, if that figure is to be believed, why on earth is he stating an interest in Robbie Keane - valued by Spurs at £7 million, and likely to demand a deal far more than the current top wage of £50 grand a week being paid to BZ and AJ? Virtually the whole budget on one 30-year-old striker who can't get in the Spurs first team, and who has more than the whiff of a busted flush (a la Andy J) about him? Forget it.

The lazy journos have all jumped on the story, creating their own headlines, as they always do, amidst the miasma of speculation, whispers and misinformation that surrounds transfer deals. Take the attention-grabbing Maradona rumours. This larger than life figure will not be heading for SW6 anytime soon. Blackburn's new owners, who know plenty about chicken farming but may not be quite so quick to identify a turkey, have quickly shown a liking for drama...Big Sam shafted, overtures to Ronaldinho...let them toy with the roly-poly troubled star.

Back to the runners and riders. Why are we not in the market for Adam? We surely can match the figures being offered by Villa? At 25 this man is the natural successor to Murphy as playmaker and captain. We must start a serious campaign to swing Mark behind the Scotsman. Evaluate for a second if you would the return over a full season from Charlie in the ranks (even if recruited for £4 mill) compared to the fitful performances you might get from a SWP? Once again, please quash rumours surrounding this over-rated midget Mark, although logic over what Wright-Phillps wage demands would be sugget this - as with Keane - is never gonna happen. I hope I'm right.

By the same token, the above must surely apply to Togo's favourite son, Mr Adebayor. I loved this guy at Arsenal, but without Wenger's influence he started to believe his own publicity and has gone backwards. He will have no appetite whatsover for a relegation scrap before 25,000 cynics at the Cottage...and £160,000 a week. Who the hell will pay that? Only West Ham could be that stupid (oh yes, they're already committed to meeting £70,000 a week for on-loan Wayne Bridge - remember how ordinary he was with us???). Get a grip Karren...and prepare for life in Div 2.

Sidwell's deal seems sound. Short term contract to see how he goes. Recall though, this deal was in place last summer and Hughes preferred to put it off. Seeing how our midfield then endured a collective loss of form from October, this in hindsight looks to have been a mistake.

Finally, I'm going to float a suggestion of my own. We know the club monitor this blog so let's see if we can transmit some positive vibes on this. A realistic 'presence in the box' that remains the manager's top priority. Shane Long of Reading. Examine his goalscoring record - penalty taker, great attitude and would surely thrive with better players around him. Best of all, very affordable and just down the M4.

In fact I'm meeting an old colleague - and very well-connected Reading fan (personal friend of their Chairman) - in the town on Friday. I'd be happy to open the door if the club care to give me a call...

Keep the faith! If you're thinking of going to Wigan Sat just DO IT! You know you want to. Twitter@fulhamphil

White Noise

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/4403/7/hughes-hails-great-group-fulham-after-upturn-form

Hughes hails 'great group' at Fulham after upturn in form

By Julian Bennetts

Tuesday, January 11

Fulham boss Mark Hughes insists he never feared relegation and has backed his players to take the club to the next level.

Hughes was reportedly under pressure after a disappointing start to his reign at Craven Cottage.

But three wins from four games, including Saturday's 6-2 FA Cup victory over Peterborough, has secured the Welshman's position.

And the former Manchester City manager insists he has the players to take the club forward - especially when the likes of Bobby Zamora and Mousa Dembele return from injury.

"I've got a great group and I've been saying that for a long time," said Hughes. "They want to do well, they want to progress, they want to get to the next level.

"That's part of my remit, that's why I came here. I fully expected them to do that.

"We were compromised with missing personnel but since the West Ham game [on Boxing Day] we've really dug in and are looking forward to what's ahead of us."

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/01/11/2299860/shaun-wright-phillips-close-to-agreeing-six-month-loan

Shaun Wright-Phillips close to agreeing six-month loan switch from Manchester City to Fulham

Eastlands star in line to stay at Craven Cottage until end of season

11 Jan 2011 12:00:00

EXCLUSIVE

By Wayne Veysey | Chief Correspondent

Shaun Wright-Phillips is close to agreeing a six-month loan move from Manchester City to Fulham, Goal.com UK can reveal.
The Londoners are in advanced talks with City, who would prefer to sell the right-winger for a £4 million fee.

But Goal.com UK understands that Fulham want a loan deal until the end of the season with the option to make it a permanent transfer in the summer if he performs well.

Wright-Phillips' wages, believed to be around £60,000-a-week, could be the stumbling block to a potential deal.

Fulham are unwilling to smash their wage structure to sign the England international and pay him more than £45,000-a-week.

"The two clubs are in talks at the moment and are close to agreeing a deal," a source told Goal.com UK. "City would prefer a permanent deal but it is also important to them that they do not sell to a major rival.

"Wright-Phillips is keen to make the move and return to London. He wants to play regularly again and he knows that if he does well, Fulham want to buy him in the summer. It is just a question of sorting out the financial arrangements. City might have to subsidise a portion of his wages."

City are attempting to off-load a number of their fringe players during this month's transfer window but it appears that another out-of-favour squad member, striker Roque Santa Cruz, will not be moving to Craven Cottage.

Although manager Mark Hughes is interested in signing the forward for a third time, after taking him to Blackburn Rovers and Manchester City, the player's wage demands and City's £5m valuation are blocking a deal.

Santa Cruz has held talks with Lazio, who want to take the striker on loan until the end of the season. But City are only ready to do business if the Italian club agree to buy the Paraguayan in the summer and pay all of his wages, believed to be worth £80,000-a-week.

White Noise

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/852374-shaun-wright-phillips-linked-with-4-million-transfer-to-fulham

Shaun Wright-Phillips linked with £4 million transfer to Fulham

Manchester City winger Shaun Wright-Phillips has emerged as a prime target for Fulham manager Mark Hughes.

The Cottagers boss is prepared to bid up to £4 million for the 29-year-old England international, who he worked with during his time at Eastlands in 2008.

Wright-Phillips has slipped way down the pecking order at City, with the likes of Adam Johnson, David Silva and James Milner being considered ahead of him in the wide positions.

Yet, while the son of former Arsenal star Ian Wright may consider a move back to London for first team football, it is expected that he will have to take a significant pay cut from his current £60,000-a-week contract.

It is understood that Hughes is also keeping his eye on Blackburn midfielder David Dunn.
.Hughes will be hoping he can persuade Wright-Phillips to make the move, in the same way that he persuaded Aston Villa's Steve Sidwell to choose his side over West Ham last week.

MORE: Fulham transfer news

Despite the arrival of Sidwell and the potential acquisition of Wright-Phillips, Hughes has insisted that the sale of winger Damien Duff to Blackburn Rovers will not be considered.

The Welshman told reporters: 'He's not available. He's very much part of what we are doing.

'Allowing a player of the quality of Damien Duff to leave would be bad management. I'm not about to do that.'

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/852374-shaun-wright-phillips-linked-with-4-million-transfer-to-fulham#ixzz1AlkJwJzf

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6651483,00.html

Schwarzer torn over decision

Keeper admits it is not ideal to be away from relegation battle

Last updated: 11th January 2011   

Mark Schwarzer admits it is not the ideal time to have left Fulham's fight for Premier League survival in order to play in the Asian Cup with Australia.

The veteran goalkeeper is expected to be away from Craven Cottage for a month to take part in the Asian Cup in Qatar, with Australia starting their campaign with a 4-0 win over India on Monday.

Schwarzer's place at Fulham will be taken by David Stockdale and the 38-year-old was torn about leaving his club in order to represent his country.

"It is never ideal at this time of year to be missing Premier League games, especially with Fulham in the precarious situation they are in," said Schwarzer.

"In an ideal world I would like to have stayed but also play in this tournament. I want to be in two places at once.

"It would have been great if there was a window we could play this tournament in but unfortunately that is not the case.

"I have been here in the summer; it is not pleasant and not easy to play in so this is the logical time to play it and unfortunately it clashes with club football."

Australia team-mates Tim Cahill and Brett Emerton are in the same boat as Schwarzer, as they miss out on key games for Everton and Blackburn respectively.

"It has not happened before for us Australian players," he added.

"It is the first time that we as players have missed out on club football due to an international tournament, but overall I think our clubs are okay with the situation."

White Noise

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/49015/One_in_one_out_one_in_doubtFulham.aspx

One in, one out, one in doubt...Fulham

Author:  Jonny Abrams

Posted on:11 January 2011 - 14:08

Craven Cottage now carries an altogether sunnier disposition after Fulham racked up two wins and nine goals in the space of five days last week – and Mark Hughes will see this transfer window as an opportunity to consolidate his Cottagers side's recovery from a win-shy start to the Premier League season.

Join Sport.co.uk, then, in ringing in the new year by shining a spotlight on one potential Fulham new boy, one possible exit from Craven Cottage and one Cottager whose future at the West London club is shrouded in doubt.

What do you think, Fulham fans? Who would you like to see hoisting aloft a white and black scarf on the back page of tomorrow's Standard? And whom would you like Hughes to politely show the door to? Have your say in the comments section at the bottom of the page...

In: Shaun Wright-Phillips

Ian Wright's lad has not so much fallen off the radar as plummeted from it a la Homer Simpson down Springfield Gorge. With David Silva, Adam Johnson and James Milner now ahead of him in the Manchester City pecking order, Hughes – Wright-Phillips' former boss at Eastlands – is reportedly offering the winger a chance to resurrect his once promising England career with a loan until the end of the season.

Mancini is said to be keen to offload the player for £4m outright but a loan-with-option-to-buy could be a successful compromise, provided Wright-Phillips' £60,000 a week wages don't represent a 'stumbling block' (whatever those are).

Despite Simon Davies' solid performances, the Cottagers would benefit from an injection of pace down the right-hand side and, for all his disappointing form over the last year, that is certainly something that Wright-Phillips could provide.

Given the arrival of Steve Sidwell from Aston Villa, all Fulham would need is either Scott Parker or Tal Ben Haim to complete a hattrick of former Chelsea benchwarmers...

Out: Diomansy Kamara

The 30 year-old Senegalese striker stepped into the void left by the absences of Bobby Zamora, Moussa Dembele and Andrew Johnson against Peterborough on the weekend and responded by bagging a hat-trick in a 6-2 win for the Cottagers. However, doubts remain about his future at the club beyond the ending of his current contract at the end of the season. The player himself said:

"I`ve got a contract until the end of the season and at the moment, when I get my chance on the pitch, I`m always trying to do my best. We`ll see what happen in the next few matches. I`m just focused on Fulham, I`m not concerned that my contract is ending. I need to work hard, go in the gym and work more - this is my philosophy.

"In February, I think Bobby Zamora is coming back and Moussa Dembele. We have other strikers coming back so the competition makes it better for us. Competition is good for the club."

In doubt: Damien Duff

Spaketh Sparky...

"There was something in the press and I think Blackburn were trying to make contact with me to discuss the situation - but he's not available. He's part of what we're doing so the conversation doesn't need to take place. He's contracted to Fulham  and I have to protect the interests of the club. Allowing a player of Damien Duff's quality to leave would be bad management."

Resilient words they may be but the Irish winger might fancy seeing out his dwindling career with the club at which he made his name, while it wouldn't be the first time that a high profile manager has publically issued misleading quotes. Trying to drive the price up, perhaps?

White Noise

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/4411/5/fulham-boss-hughes-insists-midfielder-still-his-plans

Fulham boss Hughes insists midfielder is still in his plans

By Julian Bennetts

Tuesday, January 11

Fulham have extended the contract of midfielder Kagisho Dikgacoi and boss Mark Hughes has rubbished reports the South African could leave the club.

The 26-year-old has played just four minutes of Premier League football this season and it was thought he would leave the club at the end of the season.

But Fulham have activated a clause that triggers an automatic contract extension and Hughes says Dikgacoi is still part of his plans.

"KG is a good player, and like a number of players who hasn't had an opportunity there is a bit of frustration I'm sure," said Hughes.

"But he is a player we want to keep here. We have taken up an option on his contract, so that shows our intent in his regard.

"We don't intend to let him out. At the moment we will try and keep the players we think can have an impact for us. We had an option [on his contract] and we have taken that option."

White Noise

http://fulham.theoffside.com/team-news/is-shaun-the-wright-fit.html

Is Shaun The "Wright" Fit?

By: Jason Gatties | January 11th, 2011

The "silly season" is certainly heating up. From Robbie Keane to David Dunn to Diego Maradona, it has been very interesting reading about the changes which may come to Craven Cottage by the end of the month. For the record, I only want Maradona, the coke addicted footballer and not Maradona, the brain damaged manager.

The latest? Apparently, we may be in the hunt to sign England international Shaun Wright-Phillips.  Now I'm not one to get sucked into these type of rumors, like breaking the bank on an over the hill Robbie Keane or taking a chance that Roque Santa Cruz will finally find his mojo at Motspur Park. But I must admit, I've been sucked in by the thought of SWP running around the Cottage pitch wearing black and white.

However given our clear needs, is Shaun the right fit? Not sure. Simon Davies, Clint Dempsey, Zoltan Gera & Damien Duff can all play out wide, with Davies & Dempsey in good form and Gera beginning to regain some of the magic he had last season. If we were to sign SWP to a long term or even a loan deal, who is the odd man out? What about our need for a quality striker?

Let's pretend for a moment that Fulham will match SWP's wages (they won't), while the thought of a speedy right winger may get you excited and does fit the style of play Mark Hughes is attempting to implement, I feel this is the wrong time for such a major shake up in the team dynamic. If we were fighting for a top 7 finish, perhaps I would consider this move. However, I believe to avoid relegation (and make no mistake, we are in a relegation battle), you have to address "needs" first and "wants" second. While SWP may very well improve our midfield play and attacking options, he's NOT a goal scorer  and that's what we need right now. My fear is, Chairman Mo & Mark Hughes break the bank for Wright-Phillips and enter February still lacking a proper goal scoring  option upfront until Bobby Zamora returns.

The bottom line is, I don't even see this deal happening. A) We will not match his wage demands and B) I doubt SWP would want to come to Craven Cottage beyond a 6 month loan spell. But crazier things have happened in football and if we do end up signing Wright-Phillips as our #1 signing, I pray to god we can some how land a #1a striker or we may find ourselves in a battle for survival rather than a comfortable top 12 finish.

White Noise

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/fulham-liverpool-and-villa-target-wayne-bridge-set

Fulham, Liverpool and Villa target Wayne Bridge set for West Ham medical

Wayne Bridge in London on Tuesday

By GMF Editor 

January 11, 2011

Wayne Bridge has attracted interest from many Premier League clubs. (©PAphotos)Picture GalleryNew

Manchester City full-back Wayne Bridge is having a medical at the Boleyn Ground ahead of a loan move to West Ham United.

The left-back is set to leave Manchester City in the transfer window as manager Roberto Mancini favours playing Aleksandar Kolarov and Bridge will decide within the next 48 hours whether to join West Ham or Aston Villa.

The former England international has two opportunities to secure regular first-team football and it appears the former Chelsea defender is edging towards a return to the capital.

The 30-year-old will undergo a medical with a view to being signed in time to be available for the Hammers' Saturday teatime Barclays Premier League game at home Arsenal.

City boss Roberto Mancini confirmed: "Bridge I think today is in London for a medical."

The move will also give Bridge the chance to play regularly after making only one start and two substitute appearances in the Barclays Premier League for City this season.

White Noise

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1346145/Newcastle-midfielder-Cheik-Tiote-loses-appeal.html

Newcastle star Cheik Tiote will serve three-match ban after losing appeal

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 3:55 PM on 11th January 2011

Newcastle midfielder Cheik Tiote will serve a three-match ban after his appeal against his red card during Saturday's FA Cup third-round defeat at Stevenage was dismissed.

The 24-year-old Ivorian was shown a straight red card by referee Andre Marriner for a lunging tackle on Jon Ashton in the 71st minute of the Magpies' 3-1 at Broadhall Way.

Seeing red: Tiote will serve a three-match ban
A FA statement read: 'At a regulatory commission hearing today, a claim for wrongful dismissal from Newcastle United midfielder Cheik Tiote was rejected. 'As a result, Tiote's three-match suspension will remain in place.'

Magpies manager Alan Pardew stood by his man after the match, claiming the referee had made a mistake.

He said: 'I wanted to protect Tiote (by starting him from the bench) because he had a slight strain but that has come back to hurt me. He came on to try to make a difference and has been sent off.

Standing by his man: Pardew insists Tiote should not have been sent off
'The referee got it wrong. He was fast. He travelled across the ground. He was aggressive in the challenge but in no way was he intending to hurt the player.

'The ball was going away from the player. I was astonished by that.'
Tiote, who has impressed for Newcastle since his summer move from FC Twente, will now sit out the Barclays Premier League matches against Sunderland, Tottenham and Fulham.

Meanwhile midfielder Dan Gosling will take his first step on the road towards a first-team comeback with a friendly appearance on Wednesday.

The 20-year-old joined United from Everton in the summer, but has yet to play a minute for them owing to a cruciate ligament injury he picked up while he was with the Toffees.

But he will line-up against Hibs at the club's training ground, hoping to put himself in manager Alan Pardew`s thoughts.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1346145/Newcastle-midfielder-Cheik-Tiote-loses-appeal.html#ixzz1Alo5SteU

White Noise

West Brom want to make AEK Athens' Papa Bouba Diop part of the furniture at the Hawthorns

Last updated at 1:46 AM on 12th January 2011

West Brom are interested in bringing former Portsmouth and Fulham midfielder Papa Bouba Diop back to the Barclays Premier League.

The 32-year-old Senegal international left Pompey for AEK Athens last summer but the Greek club want to cut their wage bill and will accept an offer of £400,000.

England return: Bouba Diop

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1346270/West-Brom-want-make-AEK-Athens-Papa-Bouba-Diop-furniture-Hawthorns.html#ixzz1AnkDe97L

nevzter

Quote from: White Noise on January 12, 2011, 06:51:12 AM
West Brom want to make AEK Athens' Papa Bouba Diop part of the furniture at the Hawthorns

Last updated at 1:46 AM on 12th January 2011

West Brom are interested in bringing former Portsmouth and Fulham midfielder Papa Bouba Diop back to the Barclays Premier League.

The 32-year-old Senegal international left Pompey for AEK Athens last summer but the Greek club want to cut their wage bill and will accept an offer of £400,000.

England return: Bouba Diop

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1346270/West-Brom-want-make-AEK-Athens-Papa-Bouba-Diop-furniture-Hawthorns.html#ixzz1AnkDe97L

A Greek club wanting to cut wages?

A blast from the past...

Papa Bouba Diop v Man United Screamer
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

ScalleysDad

And what a screamer it was. We were in H6 for that one and at the time it seemed to be in slow motion. If only he had remained the mountain in midfield and not become the lightweight sulky pants . . . . . . Etuhu esque in many ways but I hope he might be turning things round.

White Noise

Form Guide

Wednesday 12th January 2011

Fulham will be looking to make it four wins from five games this weekend when they travel to the North-West to take on Wigan Athletic|, and Aaron Hughes believes that with the Team finally achieving the results their performances have deserved, there is no reason why the Whites cannot continue their fine run of form this weekend.   

"Over the past three or four weeks we've put in some really good performances," Hughes told fulhamfc.com. "We've had good performances already this season but didn't get what we deserved from them.

"I know we can't say that for every game but there were a few games where we did really well and should have got more. We came away from games with a point instead of three or with nothing when we should have got a draw.

"So it was nice to put in those performances and get the rewards. It was something that we said before, if we kept going, kept working hard and maintained the same ethic – it would turn for us. Over the last few games we've had the results to go with the performances.

"We knew that we were playing good stuff. We were coming away from games thinking 'how did we not get anything from that?' Especially after the West Ham game, I think that was a big game because both teams were fighting for points.

"I was asked after that game if we were struggling, and to be honest it didn't feel like it. There's so much confidence around the place, there's still so much belief in what we're doing.

"Things, for whatever reason, weren't going our way. The management team kept on telling us, and we were telling ourselve,s that we just needed to keep going. When you get those wins it gives you confidence because you can see the results from the work you've been putting in. That is why over the previous games it was important that we didn't lose that belief and confidence.

"Wigan is a tricky place and teams don't find it easy when they go up there. It will be another game where they're looking for points, the same as us. But because we've finally got that away win that everyone was talking about, that might give us the confidence to go and get it again."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/January/HughesWiganPreview.aspx#ixzz1AoysHEht

White Noise

Kit's Cup Preview

Wednesday 12th January 2011

Fulham's Youth Team will be looking to progress through to the Fifth Round of the FA Youth Cup sponsored by E.ON| on Friday evening when they take on Norwich City at Craven Cottage (Kick-Off 7pm).

Kit Symons' side were last in Youth Cup action back on a freezing December night at the Cottage when they overcame a spirited West Brom side 6-4 in a pulsating encounter. With the big game now only a matter of days away, Symons told fulhamfc.com about the final stages of the Team's preparation.

"It has been going very well, we just came back from a mini-tour to Germany," he said. "We entered a five-a-side competition, which was quite alien for us. But it was a very good experience for the boys; we took quite a few of our group from the FA Youth Cup side. A few others stayed behind with Billy McKinlay and Ray Lewington in the Reserves, so we had a mixed group over there.

"The ones who stayed behind benefited from the training with Billy and Ray and the ones we took benefitted from the experience. It was good for sharpness, speed of foot and speed of thought.

"We came back on Monday so we started on Tuesday with some work against Billy and Ray in the Development Squad. We looked at a few possible scenarios for the game on Friday; the sessions went really well.

"Over the next couple of days well be looking at the technical aspects and set-pieces, then on the Friday we'll have a very light session. We'll walk through a few of the tactical aspects and have our pre-match preparation at the Cottage on the day of the match."

Norwich will certainly prove to be a stern test but Symons is confident that his side will be more than a match for the visitors.

"The performance for large part of the West Brom match was certainly encouraging and we're really looking forward to the game against Norwich, he explained. "They've already beaten us in the league 2-1, so we know they're a very good side. They've got a couple of important players returning who haven't played much this season, so we know they're going to be a good side and it's going to be a very difficult game."

With tickets already on sale (£3 for Adults, £1 for U16 & Over 65s)|, Symons is hoping for a good turnout from the Fulham faithful, which will be played somewhat more clement conditions than the West Brom tie.

"The crowd was fairly low for the West Brom game – and to be honest I can understand why because it was absolutely freezing. It was the coldest night I can remember for a long time, but the ones who did come really enjoyed the game. Out boys put on a fantastic show, as did the West Brom players, it was a really good game between two good sides.

"On Friday it will be a good game but we're more than capable of winning it and I'm really looking forward to it."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/January/YouthCupAction.aspx#ixzz1AozZSOWh

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6659078,00.html?

Mowbray eyes old boy
Greening linked with former club

Middlesbrough manager Tony Mowbray is considering a move to bring Jonathan Greening back to the club, skysports.com understands.

Mowbray and Greening know each other well from their time together at West Brom.

Greening was a key part of the Baggies side under Mowbray, and he fits ideally into his footballing philosophy.

The 32-year-old is also familiar with The Riverside having played for Boro for three years before switching to West Brom under Mowbray in 2004.

Greening is currently with Fulham, who he joined on a permanent deal last summer following a successful loan spell.

However, under Mark Hughes Greening has found his chances limited and could be tempted by a move back to his native North East.

Boro, though, are likely to have to move people on before considering a bid for Greening.

Whilst Bolton continue to talk with David Wheater about a potential deal, it is also understood that Gary O'Neil is attracting fresh interest with Wolves the latest side to be linked.

Middlesbrough are also considering a number of other former players with both Andrew Davies and Jeremie Aliadiere due to play for the club's reserves this week with a view to sealing moves back to the club.

Mido is also back training with the Teesside club following his departure from Ajax, but the chances of him playing for Boro again appear remote.

WhiteJC

http://www.fanhouse.co.uk/2011/01/12/premier-league-fulham-kagisho-dikgacoi-mark-hughes-mike-makaab/?

New Contract or Not, Kagisho Dikgacoi's Fulham Frustration is Understandable

Kagisho Dikgacoi's impact on the Premier League has been almost negligible but the Fulham midfielder has finally made his mark by becoming that rarity, a player frustrated at being offered a new contract.

The Cottagers have exercised the option to extend the player's two-year contract that was due to expire at the end of this season.

Good news all round, particularly for a player who has enjoyed just four minutes of match time under Mark Hughes this season.

Apparently not. Rather than viewing the 12 month extension as nice earner that provides an opportunity to have one last crack at establishing himself in the Premier League, the 26-year-old is far from happy, if the reaction of his agent Mike Makaab is anything to go by.

"I have been notified that they have exercised the option on the contract to extend it for a year but I'm completely bewildered by the news to be honest," Makaab told the Fulham Chronicle.

"KG was not even on the bench for the FA Cup match against Peterborough at the weekend so for the manager to say he is still in their plans is very surprising, especially because they have just signed another player in his position in Steven Sidwell.

"I'll be discussing the whole matter with the player and the club but I don't want to comment any further at this stage."

Having impressed former manager Roy Hodgson in a trial, Digkacoi joined the club at the start of the last season but injuries hampered his efforts to break into the team initially as did a red card in his second game and the South Africa World Cup player has made only seven Premier League starts.

Hardly surprising, then, that the player has started to see his future elsewhere and had Fulham not extended his deal, he would have been free to start negotiations with other clubs this month about a free agent switch this summer.

Instead, he will have to stay at Craven Cottage. Unless, of course, someone is prepared to pay a fee for his services.

Hughes insists the decision to offer the new contract was made on footballing grounds alone. "KG's a good player, and like a number of players who aren't playing, there's a little bit of frustration I'm sure," said the Fulham manager. "He's a player we want to keep here. We've taken up the option on his contract so that shows our intent in his regards.

"We don't intend to let him out either. We will try and keep players who can have an impact for us at the club."

Let's hope Hughes is right and that Fulham haven't simply moved to protect the value of an asset.

Players and agents are often quite rightly accused of being greedy, and a free agent move is often lucrative for all but the club a player is leaving behind. But players also need playing time, not promises.

And from that point of vies, Dikgacoi's frustration is understandable.

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6659121,00.html?

Morison eyes Premier dream
Lions striker keen to test himself at the highest level

Millwall's highly-rated striker Steve Morison concedes it would be hard to turn down the chance to play in the Premier League should a club show interest this month.

Skysports.com revealed at the start of January that Fulham were keeping tabs on Morison,who has scored 11 goals this season.

The 27-year-old has been in sensational form since joining Millwall from Stevenage in 2009 and is regarded as one of the top forwards outside the top flight.

The Wales international has been linked with a host of clubs and Morison says that he feels ready to test himself at the highest level.

Flattering

"Every player wants to play at the highest level during their playing career and I am no spring chicken any more," Morison told skysports.com.

"I've made the step up to the Championship this season and obviously moving to the Premier League would be the last rung on the ladder, so if it happens then I will be ready for it.

"If nothing happens then so be it, but I would never rule out the chance to play in the Premier League because you have to believe in yourself at the end of the day.

"It is flattering to be linked with any club from a higher division, but at the end of the day it is only speculation.

"It is always nice to hear your name mentioned though because it means that you must be doing something right and also that your team are doing quite well and long may that continue."

WhiteJC

http://www.dunstabletoday.co.uk/sport/football/local-football/fulham_quiet_over_morgan_smith_bid_1_2291509

Fulham quiet over Morgan-Smith bid

Amari Morgan-Smith

No offers on the table for Hatters attacker

Premier League side Fulham have yet to make their rumoured interest in exciting Hatters starlet Amari Morgan-Smith official, writes Mike Simmonds.

A national newspaper reported the Cottagers were looking to sign the former Ilkeston man after his impressive start to life in a Luton shirt, but that was news to Hatters boss Richard Money.

He said: "I'm only aware of it because there has been a lot of talk out there, but as far as we're concerned there is no interest."

For the full story, see this weeks Luton News/Dunstable Gazette