watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Alan Mullery - Forever Fulham.

Started by bill taylors apprentice, February 14, 2023, 02:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill taylors apprentice

So glad to see Alan receive his award last Saturday at half time.
He looked well and in good spirits.

He was my favourite player along with Graham Leggat when I started going to games in the early 60's and I was gutted when we sold him to Spurs.

I believe he was very upset in 76 when he was promised the manager's job at FFC but Alec Stock changed his mind about retiring and Alan moved on to manage BHA.

General

Still haven't found anyone who knows what a 'forever fulham award' actually entails...

filham

Alan Mullery, one of our greatest and always good to see that wonderful goal of his again.
I think his transfer to Spurs was done without the knowledge of manager Beddy Jezzard and resulted in his resignation.

Even after Stock's change of mind I would have thought there would have been opportunities for Alan to manage Fulham, can't understand why it never happened, he would have been a good fit.

Woolly Mammoth

Alan Mullery, a magnificent Warrior and Competitor and Leader.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

RaySmith

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 14, 2023, 06:28:06 PM
Alan Mullery, a magnificent Warrior and Competitor and Leader.

:plus one:

I was lucky enough to witness both of Alan's spells at Fulham - as precociously talented, up and coming young player, mature and confident beyond his years; and on his return as a senior pro, in the twilight of his career, but having lost none of his dynamism, supreme competitiveness and midfield generalship, and led Fulham, alongside Bobby Moore, to our only FA Cup Final.

One of the best, a true Fulham legend.

Rupert

Quote from: filham on February 14, 2023, 05:59:54 PM
Alan Mullery, one of our greatest and always good to see that wonderful goal of his again.
I think his transfer to Spurs was done without the knowledge of manager Beddy Jezzard and resulted in his resignation.

Even after Stock's change of mind I would have thought there would have been opportunities for Alan to manage Fulham, can't understand why it never happened, he would have been a good fit.

I once had a long and very interesting chat with Jimmy Hill, no less, on that subject (I won a weekend break at Bill Muddyman's chateau in the Cottage Chance prize draw, and JH was there).
Mullery was keen, from what I was told, but Hill was adamant that he had blown it by his behaviour at one of the other clubs he managed. It was a long and entertaining story, but when I offered it to TOOFIF a few years later (after another contributor had demanded to know why Mullery was not our manager) it was deemed as being hearsay, and best not published as it could lead to some legal shenanigans.
Suffice to say, if the story Hill told was true, we dodged a bullet.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Mickeyboro

Quote from: General on February 14, 2023, 03:32:28 PM

Still haven't found anyone who knows what a 'forever fulham award' actually entails...
At basic level, whoever is prepared to turn up.

On a higher level, Fulham clinging on to a bit of the club they once were, when history (ie pre Premier League formation) meant something. So I am all for it!

We miss Dennis Turner... and if you don't know him, Google Dennis Turner Fulham.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bog

I will forever remember Alan as one of our best captains and a 100% committed  midfielder who is in my best ever line up. He came to Fulham as a trainee purely to try to play along side Johnny Haynes. I am one who was fortunate to see all his career at Fulham. I recall on TV he having a slanging match with Malcolm Allison who was heavily doubting Alan's abilities to have ever played for England. "Malcolm how England caps have you got? I managed 34."  It was Alan who got Bobby Moore to sign for us and it was they whose inspiration that took us to Wembley. A true Fulham great for me.

092.gif     

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: bog on February 15, 2023, 08:34:32 AM
I will forever remember Alan as one of our best captains and a 100% committed  midfielder who is in my best ever line up. He came to Fulham as a trainee purely to try to play along side Johnny Haynes. I am one who was fortunate to see all his career at Fulham. I recall on TV he having a slanging match with Malcolm Allison who was heavily doubting Alan's abilities to have ever played for England. "Malcolm how England caps have you got? I managed 34."  It was Alan who got Bobby Moore to sign for us and it was they whose inspiration that took us to Wembley. A true Fulham great for me.

092.gif     

:plus one: 049:gif

copthornemike

Whilst receiving his reward on the pitch at half time on Saturday Alan Mullery completely wrong footed the interviewer. When asked if he had a special Fulham memory instead of a football team anecdote he mentioned having to help the ground staff deal with a plague of rats under the  Riverside Stand as a result of the Thames flooding. Very different times.
Mr Mullery obviously has a great sense of humour, well done him 👏

colinwhite

Hes up there with Haynes and Cohen ,an all time great .saw him play many times.

filham

Quote from: Rupert on February 14, 2023, 07:56:26 PM
Quote from: filham on February 14, 2023, 05:59:54 PM

I once had a long and very interesting chat with Jimmy Hill, no less, on that subject (I won a weekend break at Bill Muddyman's chateau in the Cottage Chance prize draw, and JH was there).
Mullery was keen, from what I was told, but Hill was adamant that he had blown it by his behaviour at one of the other clubs he managed. It was a long and entertaining story, but when I offered it to TOOFIF a few years later (after another contributor had demanded to know why Mullery was not our manager) it was deemed as being hearsay, and best not published as it could lead to some legal shenanigans.
Suffice to say, if the story Hill told was true, we dodged a bullet.
Interesting, I never doubted a word of Jimmy's, he would not lie to you.

Peabody

I saw his debut, along with George Cohen and Tony Macedo. All three products of our South Eastern system. I also saw his first game as captain, JH had a car crash and was unavailable so Alan took the armband and had what was possibly his worst game for us. I was heartbroken when he was transferred to Spurs and delighted when he returned. Word was Spurs also wanted George but the club told them to do one.

bog

One of my favorite Fulham photos is when Alan came back to the Cottage as captain of Spurs and he is shaking hands with Johnny at the centre spot before kick off.  :54:

092.gif 

mrmicawbers

What was on the wall down Stevenage  Road.Alan Mullery is God?

Carborundum

It's nice to see faces from the past at half time.  But it's also nice to see the happy enthusiasm of kids penalty shootout, so mixing it up would be welcome.

The first time I saw something like the Forever Fulham award was my one and only trip to Brisbane Road.  No announcement of what was to come, but three minutes of watching two blokes roll out 30m of red carpet to the centre circle, then out walked Charlie George, strolled to the end, cheery wave to the crowd met with polite applause.  No interview, that's your lot, strolled back, clean shoes and all.   Then a further lengthy spell of carpet rolling, which for the two fellows involved wasn't their finest hour.  The Orient fans were as bemused as those in the away end.  Charlie George never played for Orient.

Whilst I can appreciate surrealism from time to time, in comparison, Fulham's approach is more coherent.

Cambridge Away

Quote from: Carborundum on February 15, 2023, 10:38:40 PM
It's nice to see faces from the past at half time.  But it's also nice to see the happy enthusiasm of kids penalty shootout, so mixing it up would be welcome.

The first time I saw something like the Forever Fulham award was my one and only trip to Brisbane Road.  No announcement of what was to come, but three minutes of watching two blokes roll out 30m of red carpet to the centre circle, then out walked Charlie George, strolled to the end, cheery wave to the crowd met with polite applause.  No interview, that's your lot, strolled back, clean shoes and all.   Then a further lengthy spell of carpet rolling, which for the two fellows involved wasn't their finest hour.  The Orient fans were as bemused as those in the away end.  Charlie George never played for Orient.

Whilst I can appreciate surrealism from time to time, in comparison, Fulham's approach is more coherent.
:005: 

As for the Forever Fulham award i like it. We honour the greats and it gives purpose to the visit

From my recollection of Mullery as a returning Barnet manager is he was a bit of a tw*t. Nothing i've seen of him since then has changed my mind. But then again, i haven't seen that much of him. Nor did we see that much of him when he was Barnet manager, so i could be wrong.
It does feel that there were certain people who will be proud to be Fulham when we are good and have no interest when we are sh*t. Paul Parker being another prime example. According to the great Simon Morgan.

kiwian

Quote from: Cambridge Away on February 15, 2023, 11:19:29 PM
Quote from: Carborundum on February 15, 2023, 10:38:40 PM

:005: 

As for the Forever Fulham award i like it. We honour the greats and it gives purpose to the visit

From my recollection of Mullery as a returning Barnet manager is he was a bit of a tw*t. Nothing i've seen of him since then has changed my mind. But then again, i haven't seen that much of him. Nor did we see that much of him when he was Barnet manager, so i could be wrong.
It does feel that there were certain people who will be proud to be Fulham when we are good and have no interest when we are sh*t. Paul Parker being another prime example. According to the great Simon Morgan.
I really enjoy this feature too, but I wish the interviewer would ask short questions rather than try and put words in the subject's mouth!
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

Holders

Quote from: mrmicawbers on February 15, 2023, 02:24:19 PM
What was on the wall down Stevenage  Road.Alan Mullery is God?

This.

I was behind the goal for his spectacular goal of the season, against Leicester if
I remember correctly.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria