watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff - 19/02/23...

Started by WhiteJC, February 19, 2023, 08:32:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Joel Veltman issues verdict on Brighton penalty appeal amid revealing referee talk versus Fulham

Brighton defender Joel Veltman went down in the penalty area after a coming together with Fulham's Antonee Robinson in the second half of their 1-0 defeat at the Amex

Joel Veltman admitted it was the right call not to award Brighton a penalty after he went down in the box following a coming together with Fulham's Antonee Robinson.

The Albion fell to an agonising 1-0 defeat to the Cottagers as Manor Solomon's 88th-minute winner proved to be the difference at the Amex on Saturday.

The Seagulls had 65% possession and 21 shots to the visitors' five, but it was the London side that won the battle in a match dubbed as a battle for Europe.

Head coach Roberto De Zerbi was not at all happy with the performance of referee Darren England, and neither was an exasperated home crowd, and they were incensed when Veltman's penalty appeals in the second half were waved away.

The Dutchman went down in the penalty area after making contact with the Fulham left-back but the 31-year-old acknowledged that the right call had been made and opened up on an exchange he had with the official, England.

"No, it was not a penalty. I gave the referee a hand as well. From the moment he said no penalty I gave him my hand and went, 'Well done'," said Veltman.

When asked if it was a dive, he replied: "No. I was hoping for it [a penalty] and in your mind, you leave your foot there but it was nothing. I went to the referee, I think we got a corner out of it and I just went to him before that and said, 'Well done'.

"Then after 10 minutes he came to me and said something like, 'Well done'. That is how it is sometimes. Refereeing is difficult, especially with the crowd, the away fans, players shouting at them so most of the time they do a great job."

https://www.sussexlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/veltman-brighton-penalty-referee-fulham-8164712

blingo

Quote from: whitejc on February 19, 2023, 08:38:42 AM
'Special' player really shouldn't have joined Liverpool – Our View

Fabio Carvalho made the move to Liverpool in the summer transfer window, a move that was highly anticipated after his impressive performances for Fulham in the Championship last season as the Whites romped to the league title.

100% Agree.

Carvalho was described as 'special' off the back of that season and it looked like the world was at his feet.

However, Carvalho's time at Liverpool isn't going to plan.

The 20-year-old midfielder has played just three Premier League minutes since October, and Liverpool are currently below his former club Fulham in the league table.

In hindsight, it appears that Carvalho's decision to join Liverpool may not have been the best choice for his development as he struggles for minutes.

In contrast, Marco Silva had Carvalho as one of his key players at Fulham, and he played almost every week, and he likely would have had a similar sort of role this season at Craven Cottage.

Fulham don't necessarily miss Carvalho due to the brilliance of Andreas Pereira, but if he'd stayed, he'd surely have had a place in the side.

Meanwhile, with Liverpool, he has struggled to break into the first team and is yet to make a significant impact. This lack of playing time has undoubtedly hindered his development, and he may have been better off staying at Fulham where he could have continued to play regularly.

Another reason why Carvalho may have made the wrong decision is that he doesn't fit into Jurgen Klopp's preferred 4-3-3 system. Klopp has admitted that Carvalho is not happy with his current situation, and it's clear that the young midfielder doesn't really have a place in this team. Carvalho has always been best used as a number 10 or a second-striker, but Klopp has never played a formation that fits that role since his arrival at Liverpool.

Furthermore, Liverpool's current league position has only added to Carvalho's struggles. The team is currently below Fulham in the table, and this is not the kind of environment that promotes development of young players as Liverpool's entire squad struggle for confidence.

Overall, it's clear that Carvalho's move to Liverpool may not have been the best decision for his development. While it's understandable that a player of his talents would want to play for a top-tier team, it seems as though he made this move too early in his career.

Carvalho would have been better off staying at Fulham, where he could have continued to play regularly and develop his skills in a more forgiving environment.

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2023/02/18/special-player-really-shouldnt-have-joined-liverpool-our-view/

Andy S

Why ruin a young players career? Liverpool had no need to take him. They obviously didn't need him. They took him because they could and he was cheap. It is very sad that a player who had lots of talent and had an abundance of tenacity has had his career lopped almost before it began. I heard one of their fans talking last nigh and they still believe they will finish in a Champions league spot. Wildly disillusioned I would say. I will be keen to see them fail.

alfie

Quote from: Andy S on February 19, 2023, 10:52:01 AM
Why ruin a young players career? Liverpool had no need to take him. They obviously didn't need him. They took him because they could and he was cheap. It is very sad that a player who had lots of talent and had an abundance of tenacity has had his career lopped almost before it began. I heard one of their fans talking last nigh and they still believe they will finish in a Champions league spot. Wildly disillusioned I would say. I will be keen to see them fail.
I know it's easy to blame Liverpool, but he wanted to go, he would not sign a new contract.
Also did we not do the dirty on Donetsk with Solomon, agreed £8mill fee then pulled out after fifa said they could cancel their contracts until end of season, was that fair on Donetsk.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

WhiteJC

Quote from: alfie on February 19, 2023, 12:37:54 PM
I know it's easy to blame Liverpool, but he wanted to go, he would not sign a new contract.
Also did we not do the dirty on Donetsk with Solomon, agreed £8mill fee then pulled out after fifa said they could cancel their contracts until end of season, was that fair on Donetsk.

that was to buy Solomon, at the moment he's only on loan until the end of the season, perhaps we'll be able to buy him then?

alfie

Quote from: whitejc on February 19, 2023, 06:03:45 PM
Quote from: alfie on February 19, 2023, 12:37:54 PM

that was to buy Solomon, at the moment he's only on loan until the end of the season, perhaps we'll be able to buy him then?
That's the point, we agreed a fee with them, then pulled out after fifa ruling, that's what upset Donetsk,
After he goes back only 6 months on his contract so they will lose out on an agreed fee.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

hovewhite

Solomon could move to brighton as don't think they will be shy about giving a fee for the genius of the player.