watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Groundhog Day

Started by ffcthereligion, March 02, 2023, 09:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ffcthereligion

To start with the obvious, we have had an amazing season, and whatever happens from here the atmosphere after Palace at home as our last home game of the season will be wonderful when the players do their lap of honour. While recognising that a few of these posts have been made before at earlier points, I cannot help but feel that the next three games (Brentford away, Arsenal home, United away) define the season, and will be the difference a great and sensational one. We go into each fixture as outsiders with the bookies, and with 3 losses, would emerge with very little to play for after the international break, and a lack of motivation could kick in to carry us serenely into a mid table finish. The irony of typing that and feeling disappointment is not lost on me, and is indicative of just how far we've come, but its an anti climactic thought.

Before the usual platitudes of 'one game at a time' and 'we can beat anyone on our day' is this a feeling that others are having? All I can say is amidst the personal feeling of impending potential doom, lets embrace the process, challenge and try and enjoy it. COYW

hovewhite

Would settle for 3 pionts if offered now.

sunburywhite

Ithought Groundhog Day was yesterday and the day before and the day before and the day before.....
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Woolly Mammoth

[/quote\]

Before the usual platitudes of 'one game at a time' and 'we can beat anyone on our day' is this a feeling that others are having? All I can say is amidst the personal feeling of impending potential doom, let's embrace the process, challenge and try and enjoy it. COYW
=====================================

Mr FFC The Religion.

Ground Hog Day ?  I prefer Pan Cake Night

For me it is one game at a time and we can beat anyone on our day.
Before the usual platitudes of anything bar that.
The season will be defined after the last game, it is about the journey not the destination.
Tomorrow never comes, never look too far ahead as the horizon never gets nearer, because the man who invented the rear view mirror never looked back.

[/quote]
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

RaySmith

One game at a time, will still be the mantra Silva tells the players.
We have to go into each game, thinking we have a good chance.

I don't believe the players will be demotivated for the  remaining games, if we do lose the next three games, and will not think a mid -table finish is a failure - but a great success.

Onwards and upwards.

ffcthereligion

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 02, 2023, 11:27:41 AM
[/quote\]

Before the usual platitudes of 'one game at a time' and 'we can beat anyone on our day' is this a feeling that others are having? All I can say is amidst the personal feeling of impending potential doom, let's embrace the process, challenge and try and enjoy it. COYW
=====================================

Mr FFC The Religion.

Ground Hog Day ?  I prefer Pan Cake Night

For me it is one game at a time and we can beat anyone on our day.
Before the usual platitudes of anything bar that.
The season will be defined after the last game, it is about the journey not the destination.
Tomorrow never comes, never look too far ahead as the horizon never gets nearer, because the man who invented the rear view mirror never looked back.

[/quote]

Dear Mr Woolly,,

Appreciate the reply, and often look out for your humorous and consistent posts that espouse these points. And certainly, it is a mantra that the players and all of us as individuals should adopt. It is important to stay in the moment and focus on one challenge with full attention one by one, but I cannot escape the feeling that certain periods are more important than others as we near the business end of the season, and that this next few weeks is 'that' period for Fulham. In my view, I think the next 3 matches may be season defining

WindyCity

I concur with some of the sentiment expressed so far.....for me it's always one game at a time, and I suspect the same is true for MS and his troops.  Sure, as fans we sometimes look at a group of upcoming games and wonder/predict what might come of it.  Nothing wrong with that, that's what fans do.  I do understand the premise here, that these next three games could somewhat 'define' just who we are and where we may end up come seasons' end.  We'll just have to wait and see what happens.  Great overall season so far.  Great results recent games, but not so great performances.  Looking forward to Brentford tilt. 

filham

I think we have gone off the boil and am awaiting to see a really good performance. Luck was on our side against Brighton,
Wolves and Leeds and if we are to pick up further points at Brentford our attack will have to prouce more..

davew

Filham again I agree with you, we were playing better football before the World Cup break and were unlucky to lose games against the bigger guns when we could have either won or drawn them. The 7 points we have gained from the last 3 games have been fortuitous but to give credit to MS and the squad they never give up.
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

toshes mate

I prefer the platitudinous one game at a time rather than a tiresome philosophy that wants to right off the whole season based upon results of the next three games which itself is a self inflicted anti-climax for the OP if ever there was one.  Monday night is full of promise as Marco and company work out a way of producing a result not many expect which is kind of where and how we began this season and have carried on.  You need a bit of fortune to succeed but the most important things in football are goals and clean sheets and it doesn't matter how you achieve them at the end of the day as long as it isn't illegal.     

Perhaps the old and tiresome one game at a time philosophy (which has proven itself time and again in most everyone's lives - just think about a less literal use of the word 'game') is not to be dismissed quite as easily as the OP would have it.   And don't look a gift horse in the mouth.     

Woolly Mammoth

In the cold light of day football is a simple game with the object of the exercise is to score more goals than the opponent's. It is  pundits and commentators who try and make it complicated to justify why they are holding a microphone and earning an enormous salary.
I do not need to remind ourselves that we shall win matches where we have been second best and needed the rub of the green a stroke of luck and simple good fortune, having said that you can also make your own luck, the harder you work the luckier you get.
Likewise we shall lose matches where we were the better side but the opposite happened, that is the nature of football, that is what makes it so unpredictable, that is why consistency is so important.
It's about results ask any manager, that is why we often say it's all on the day, because on the day a key player can get injured and taken off.
An important Referees decision goes for or against you, a player gets sent off which turns the game, a worldy goal, a goalkeeping error, or it is just a bad day at the office.
Anyone who likes to forecast results just sets himself up to look a mug.
Dissecting matches down to the last detail does no good as goals win games, goals change games.
Then again if you keep a clean sheet you only have to score one goal to win a match.
Too many Managers and pundits and commentators talk a lot but they say nothing.

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Thailand Mick

Before the Liverpool game was postponed I would have been happy with 4 points from wolves, Brentford, Arsenal and Liverpool so 3 points from the remaining two fixtures would achieve that. If we happen to lose the next two I don't think our season will be over as we will then have to play eight of the bottom ten teams plus man City and man utd last game. As yet we don't know when the Liverpool game will be rearranged for. Hopefully not but on that last game of the season man utd might have two Cup finals to concentrate on.

cookieg

Taking 4 points off that lot down the road and safety in mid table mediocrity will be fine by me. Top 10 will be an absolute bonus but definitely achievable.