watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

On This Day 1987 - Fulham & QPR Merger

Started by Friendsoffulham, March 02, 2023, 08:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaySmith

It had good TV coverage up in Glasgow, where I was living at the time - my wife is from there, and her family members, all Celtic through and through, were coming up to me saying they'd watched it, and what great fans we had, and they hoped we managed to survive.

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: Wolf on March 03, 2023, 10:02:55 AM
Two things, aside from personalities, that saved Fulham were the property crash and the level of media and public awareness (due to status then and historically). If you look at the late 70s and 80s it was an absolute graveyard for London non-league clubs beset by asset strippers and property sharks. In that period football lost (club / ground or both):-

Leytonstone
Walthamstow Avenue
Southall
Enfield
Romford
Ilford
Hillingdon Borough
Wealdstone
Dulwich Hamlet

Southall's Western Road ground was still there until relatively  recently. Hayes another one gone too, albeit again much later

F(f)CUK

When the potential merger was first announced the BBC London sports presenter Michael Wale finished the article with the line "I can't wait to receive my new club tie". I almost threw something at the television.

SG

Quote from: Lighthouse on March 02, 2023, 10:39:20 PM
People often say they knew where they were when a momentous event happened. It is always obvious to me. You were by a radio or tv. But for this I could tell you what I was doing, what I thought and where I went the day and weeks after. It was such a traumatic, unfair event. That it highlighted many things in life not just for Fulham. It showed how easily something that we dedicate time and money to can just be taken away.

It went a long way to making me the cynical and distrustful person I became. It soured football and it made me forever wary of things outside of my control that can totally change my life. Thankfully there are great memories that followed  in the battle to stop it.

But I am not sure many of us will ever be as comfy or dedicated to anything after the shock of the news.

I recall that day as though it was yesterday - where I was, what I was doing. Never forget David Dein's words - 'there is no place in football for little clubs like Fulham'. Similarly I can remember exactly where I was when I saw the back page of the Standard announcing Al Fayed's takeover.

Motspur Park

Quote from: SG on March 03, 2023, 11:59:25 AM
People often say they knew where they were when a momentous event happened. It is always obvious to me. You were by a radio or tv. But for this I could tell you what I was doing, what I thought and where I went the day and weeks after. It was such a traumatic, unfair event. That it highlighted many things in life not just for Fulham. It showed how easily something that we dedicate time and money to can just be taken away.

It went a long way to making me the cynical and distrustful person I became. It soured football and it made me forever wary of things outside of my control that can totally change my life. Thankfully there are great memories that followed  in the battle to stop it.

But I am not sure many of us will ever be as comfy or dedicated to anything after the shock of the news.

I recall that day as though it was yesterday - where I was, what I was doing. Never forget David Dein's words - 'there is no place in football for little clubs like Fulham'. Similarly I can remember exactly where I was when I saw the back page of the Standard announcing Al Fayed's takeover.

I can't say what I would like to say about Dein.

I too remember about the Fayed announcement and coincidentally was working with a fellow Fulham fan that day and speaking to him about winning the lottery and ploughing our money into Fulham.

I knew somebody who was part of a consortium approached by Fulham to take over. He obviously conceded that Fulham were much better off with Fayed.

Jims Dentist

Quote from: SP on March 03, 2023, 08:10:55 AM
Quote from: 70sPimlico on March 02, 2023, 10:32:37 PM
My word. Mary Doughty in that clip. She was like a surrogate football mum to all the youngsters (me included)

She was quite something. Anyone on here remember her?

Yes, real FFC stalwarts. There's other faces I recall there, including a guy called Sammy (I think) who went on to be a s
Loved seeing the guys enjoying the unexpected free lunch.
Yes Sammy Mackay, sadly no longer with us.
He was a great supporter for years home and away.

filham

That was just about rock bottom but somehoe we reslowly,very slowly recovered, We have so much to thank a lot of people for, particularly Jimmy Hill.

AJW48361

Not everybody was pulling in the same direction at the time.But in general it Re energised the Club and galvanised the fans.

Plodder

I echo so many of the points made above.  It was a horrible time to be supporting Fulham.  There were other stalwarts (in addition to those mentioned above) such as Allan Gould, Melvin Tanner, all those involved in Fulham 2000, and so many more.  We came so close to losing Fulham FC (the genuine article, not the ersatz alternatives of Fulham Park Rangers or Fulham FC playing at someone else's ground). I try to think about the positives, and not to dwell on things like Dein's nasty comments.  The attitude of the Walsall fans towards our plight when we protested peacefully at half time was superb, and I wish more people knew about that.

Twig

Quote from: Plodder on March 04, 2023, 02:12:52 PM
I echo so many of the points made above.  It was a horrible time to be supporting Fulham.  There were other stalwarts (in addition to those mentioned above) such as Allan Gould, Melvin Tanner, all those involved in Fulham 2000, and so many more.  We came so close to losing Fulham FC (the genuine article, not the ersatz alternatives of Fulham Park Rangers or Fulham FC playing at someone else's ground). I try to think about the positives, and not to dwell on things like Dein's nasty comments.  The attitude of the Walsall fans towards our plight when we protested peacefully at half time was superb, and I wish more people knew about that.

Agree, Walsall fans were superb that day.

ianthailand

Quote from: 70sPimlico on March 02, 2023, 10:32:37 PM
My word. Mary Doughty in that clip. She was like a surrogate football mum to all the youngsters (me included)

She was quite something. Anyone on here remember her?
One of Fulham's greatest fans.

ianthailand

Quote from: Motspur Park on March 03, 2023, 12:41:01 PM
Quote from: SG on March 03, 2023, 11:59:25 AM

I can't say what I would like to say about Dein.

I too remember about the Fayed announcement and coincidentally was working with a fellow Fulham fan that day and speaking to him about winning the lottery and ploughing our money into Fulham.

I knew somebody who was part of a consortium approached by Fulham to take over. He obviously conceded that Fulham were much better off with Fayed.
Dien, one of the biggest sh#ts ever to be involved in football. I hope hope City beat Arse to the title.

Marcus

Agree about comments on Dein, despicable apology of a human being... but what goes round comes round, as Clay and Bulstrode found out...

Penfold

Quote from: Marcus on March 05, 2023, 08:56:18 AM
Agree about comments on Dein, despicable apology of a human being... but what goes round comes round, as Clay and Bulstrode found out...

Bulstrode snuffed it with a smile on his face 😈

Ara's bacon crisps

I remember finding out at work when someone showed me the back page of a red top and being so depressed because it appeared to be a done deal and there was nothing to be done to stop it. Clearly I underestimated the will of Jimmy Hill, the Muddymans and others.

I remember Sammy from away games and he was the steward who opened the gate I went through onto the pitch at the Walsall game. Always wondered why he became a steward as he seemed an unlikely candidate, but that day it all became clear. Trojan horse. And I've always had a soft spot for Walsall since then. Their supporters were magnificent - they were riding high in the division, with Trevor Christie banging the goals in, but I think we sneaked a 2-2 draw with a Leo Donnellan equaliser?

I also remember leaving work so early to queue up for the Hammersmith Town Hall meeting that I ended up in the third row. My memory is a bit vague, but I remember 7 or 8 being on the stage, but can only remember 3 - Dein far left saying this is progress and you can't stop it, Bobby Robson in the middle sitting on the fence (and I never had any time for the 'Saint Bobby' stuff after that) and Jimmy Hill far right being the only person against it.

Was anyone else there at Hammersmith Town Hall, have I remembered correctly and can anyone fill in the gaps on who else was on the stage that night and what they said?

St Eve

I came over from New York for the Walsall game and the half time protest. Remember thinking how the hell am I getting over the fence with all the stewards and police around. Of course in true Fulham style they just opened the gates. My Fulham 2000 tablet is still displayed with pride in my house

Stoneleigh Loyalist

My Fulham 2000 pottery Craven Cottage still has a pride of place in my home!
The meeting that I remember was the one at the old Fulham Town Hall when Jimmy Hill was the main speaker.
The thing that I remember most about it was that at that we were really struggling because although finance was required the best that we could do at that time was to ask for ideas for local fund raising .
It really was at 'Church Fete' level but more was later to go on behind the scenes.
There was no shortage of determination by those who attended the meeting.but Jimmy made his one classic boob of suggesting that if Fulham had to go for development of a new ground it should be for 16000 people as that would be enough for our needs.
Not that I hold anything against him for such a statement.

Ara's bacon crisps

Quote from: Stoneleigh Loyalist on March 05, 2023, 01:59:11 PM
My Fulham 2000 pottery Craven Cottage still has a pride of place in my home!
The meeting that I remember was the one at the old Fulham Town Hall when Jimmy Hill was the main speaker.
The thing that I remember most about it was that at that we were really struggling because although finance was required the best that we could do at that time was to ask for ideas for local fund raising .
It really was at 'Church Fete' level but more was later to go on behind the scenes.
There was no shortage of determination by those who attended the meeting.but Jimmy made his one classic boob of suggesting that if Fulham had to go for development of a new ground it should be for 16000 people as that would be enough for our needs.
Not that I hold anything against him for such a statement.
Haha. Shows what my memory is like - I couldn't even get the right Town Hall 🤣

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Perhaps your memory is not that bad as from my memory the Fulham TH meeting was in the day time and I do not remember Dean and Robson being present.
I would suggest that there were two different meetings?