watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff - 21/03/23...

Started by WhiteJC, March 21, 2023, 12:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Tim Ream wants to play for the USA at the 2026 World Cup when he's 38 after he finally fulfilled his childhood dream with four appearances in Qatar

Despite being 38 in 2026, Tim Ream plans to fight for another World Cup spot
    Ream has been turning in great performances for his club side Fulham as well

After going from surprise inclusion to a USMNT starter in Qatar, Fulham center back Tim Ream doesn't seem ready to throw in the towel on another appearance in 2026.

The 35-year-old Ream turned in consistent performances in the middle of the defense for the United States at the 2022 FIFA World Cup - and he hopes to do the same again three years from now.

Injuries to established left center backs Miles Robinson and Chris Richards led to then-USMNT manager Gregg Berhalter calling Ream up for the tournament and he performed admirably for someone who hadn't been a fixture in the side.

His inclusion in the squad drew gasps at the roster reveal party in Brooklyn, but those fans of the USA were left delighted and Ream has earned yet another call-up in the current international break window.

Now, with Ream getting consistent starts at Craven Cottage, he's hoping he can keep this good thing going all the way until 2026.

United States defender Tim Ream hopes that he can get called up for the 2026 World Cup

Despite being 38 at the next tournament, Ream hopes he can build on his quality Qatar form

Speaking to the PA news agency, Ream said that he was shocked that Berhalter called him up for the World Cup - after not appearing for the team since September 2021. 

But after starting all four games, he says that he isn't ready to give up on the thought of playing for his country come 2026.

'When (Berhalter) called saying they wanted to bring me in, I was a bit hesitant because I hadn't been involved for so long,' Ream said.

'But once I wrapped my head around what it was and the fact that I've wanted to go to one since I was a little kid, it was amazing. It's cool (to experience a first World Cup at 35). It's neat, because my kids get to go out - they came and watched the group games. So to have that and to have them understand I think makes it more special.

'I think when you're younger you think "I have another one, in four years there's going to be another one and I'll make that one." All of a sudden your career is at the tail end and you don't know that there's going to be another one.

'It makes me feel proud that I got there, but it also gives me a hunger and a desire to get to another one.

'People say, 'You're 35', and yeah, I am, but I think if you set some lofty goals for yourself, you can push through things.

'It gives me a little bit more desire and hunger to make it through and play in another one.'

Ream has become a crucial starter for his club side as Fulham manager Marco Silva continues to keep the Cottagers in mid-table form.

While recent losses have seemingly made it harder for them to try and fight for an appearance in Europe, and a defeat in the FA Cup on Sunday knocked them out of their last chance to win a trophy, Ream is focused on the present.

'I got into this bad habit of wondering what's coming next and I realized I was missing out on what was happening right in front of me. So for me, it's less about the cliche of taking it one day at a time, at the end of the day you don't know when this game, this career, is going to be done,' he added.

'It could be taken pretty quick, so I'm not worried about what comes and what a potential seventh-placed finish could bring us next year. I'm just focusing on my performance, the team doing well, and at the end of it we'll see what happens.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11883083/Tim-Ream-wants-play-USA-2026-World-Cup-age-38-Qatar-performance.html

WhiteJC

MARK CLATTENBURG: John Obi Mikel once screamed at me that he wanted to break my legs and received only a three-match ban... the FA MUST make an example of Aleksandar Mitrovic after he shoved Chris Kavanagh

Referee Chris Kavanagh should be praised for sending off Aleksandar Mitrovic
    Mitrovic's actions were the latest example of referee's being abused by players
    Officials must be respected at the top level to ensure the same in the grassroots

January 2000 was when Roy Keane raged at referee Andy D'Urso, with Jaap Stam and Ryan Giggs in tow, for awarding the first league penalty against Manchester United at Old Trafford in six years.

Back then, the FA tried to do something by consulting the captains of the clubs, one idea being that only they should speak to the officials.

That went on to be trialled. Clearly it never entered the laws of football. More and more, it feels like respect for referees has gone out of the window in the English game.

Officials are being abused weekly — Aleksandar Mitrovic is just the latest example — and the issue is what's seen at the top level is transferred all the way down to grassroots.

Michael Oliver red-carded Angel Di Maria in an FA Cup loss to Arsenal in March 2015 because the Manchester United man grabbed him from behind. Oliver was applauded for that response, and Chris Kavanagh should be praised for his handling of Mitrovic, too.

Chelsea's John Mikel Obi once swung at me in the referee's room at Stamford Bridge.

He screamed he wanted to break my legs and was being held back by Roberto Di Matteo and Eddie Newton.

In the end, Mikel only received a three-match ban for that incident. I thought, 'Are the FA taking the p***? He should be banned for the rest of the season, if not more.'

Mitrovic wasn't as aggressive as Mikel, but he got physical with Kavanagh. The FA may now use him to set an example to others.

Referees need to be respected at the highest level because if they aren't, that impacts what happens at the lowest level.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11883051/MARK-CLATTENBURG-FA-make-example-Aleksandar-Mitrovic.html

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Marco Silva hit with FOUR FA charges after red card and Man Utd meltdown

Marco Silva has been punished by the FA after the Fulham boss was shown a red card during their FA Cup quarter-final capitulation at Manchester United on Sunday

Marco Silva has been hit with four charges after he was sent off during Fulham 3-1 FA Cup quarter-final defeat against Manchester United on Sunday.

The Cottagers' were in cruise control at Old Trafford thanks to Aleksandar Mitrovic's second-half strike, until the visitors lost control and imploded. Following a brief VAR check, Willian was shown a straight red card for handling the ball on the line, giving United the chance to level from the penalty spot.

However, after Chris Kavanagh went over to the VAR screen, Silva was shown red for acting angrily after Willian was dismissed. Mitrovic duly confronted the referee and was sent off for appearing to shove him. It went from bad to worse for Fulham as Bruno Fernandes levelled from the spot, before Marcel Sabitzer immediately put United ahead. Fernandes added his second of the game to book the Red Devils' place in the semi-final.

Following his actions on the touchline Silva has been charged by the FA for his actions. The four charges involve:

abusive and/or insulting words and/or gestures and/or behaviour towards the match referee.

abusive and/or insulting words towards the fourth official prior to his dismissal.

abusive and/or insulting words and/or gestures and/or behaviour towards the fourth official after being sent off.

improper behaviour for throwing a water bottle in the direction of the assistant referee.

A statement released on Monday night read: " Fulham, Marco Silva and Aleksandar Mitrovic have been charged following the incidents that took place in or around the 72nd minute of their tie against Manchester United in The FA Cup on Sunday 19 March.

"It's alleged that Marco Silva used abusive and/or insulting words and/or gestures and/or behaviour towards the match referee; that he used abusive and/or insulting words towards the fourth official prior to his dismissal; and that he also used abusive and/or insulting words and/or gestures and/or behaviour towards the fourth official after being sent off.

"It's further alleged that in throwing a water bottle in the direction of the assistant referee his behaviour was improper."

Silva also hit out at Kavanagh in his post-match interview. He could not hide his emotions, although he did praise his side's performance.

Speaking to ITV Sport, he said: "Let's talk about all the game and not just one moment. Until the penalty moment and the red cards, we were clearly the best team on the pitch.

"We were the best team on the pitch, clearly. For me it was a decision the VAR can take. What is difficult to understand is why the two moments in the box in the first half one of them is a clear penalty and nobody checks, nobody sees."

Meanwhile, Mitrovic is likely to miss more than three games with The FA claiming that the standard three-match suspension is "clearly insufficient" and pushing for an extended ban.

There have also been some calls for Mitrovic to miss the remainder of the campaign. Former Premier League referee Mark Halsey claimed that the striker should be banned for 10 games.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fulham-man-utd-marco-silva-29509191

Bill2

Will everyone please tone down their language, reading some of the above you would have thought he had launched an assault on Kavanagh. He touched him and was in his face, he did not shove him. At no time did Kavanagh lose his balance or even stumble. I am not defending what he did and he will get some sort of ban but did he threaten the ref, no one knows. I suggest the FA keep their comments short instead of the statements saying they are going to make an example of him.

Surlyc

Quote from: whitejc on March 21, 2023, 12:38:29 AM
The president of the Referee's Association, Paul Field, has urged the suspension to be longer than 10 matches, which means Mitrovic will not play again this season.

Field said: "I hope it's more than 10 games. That only really goes through to the end of the season.

"Think about what Eric Cantona did nearly 30 years ago and he got nine months. I think they should put a really decent time on this."
Cantona was convicted of assault, you colossal p***k. Good luck trying to pursue criminal charges against Mitrovic.
Quote from: whitejc on March 21, 2023, 12:41:45 AM
MARK CLATTENBURG: John Obi Mikel once screamed at me that he wanted to break my legs and received only a three-match ban... the FA MUST make an example of Aleksandar Mitrovic after he shoved Chris Kavanagh
So the lesson here is that what Mitrovic did was less aggressive than Mikel, but he should get three times the ban because... he doesn't play for Chelsea?

Some of these talking heads really should not get any more air time.

hovewhite

Disgusting people jumping on the bandwagon just for publicity for themselves and building it up to a major physical and verbal personal assault.