News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Does anyone ever miss a penalty against us?!

Started by Jules, March 21, 2023, 07:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jules

Feels like we have had our fair share of missed penalties. But, teams ALWAYS score them against us. Wouldn't it  have been great if Fernandes missed, we parked the bus with our 9 men for the last 15 mins and went through!

Andy S

No there would have been no pleasure from winning like that after the previous sending offs. There wasn't anyway

Ludlow Richard

Done a very quick check, happy to be proved wrong, but if I'm right the stats make for depressing reading!

I think the last penalty one of our opponents missed was 12th February 2020 (Jed Wallace, Millwall).

Since then we have had 22 penalties scored against us, not one saved (Leno, Rodak, Gazzaniga, Areola).

Jules

Quote from: Ludlow Richard on March 21, 2023, 03:17:29 PM
Done a very quick check, happy to be proved wrong, but if I'm right the stats make for depressing reading!

I think the last penalty one of our opponents missed was 12th February 2020 (Jed Wallace, Millwall).

Since then we have had 22 penalties scored against us, not one saved (Leno, Rodak, Gazzaniga, Areola).
Thanks for the research on this. Yes, it's a very long time ago since then. Every penalty is a guaranteed goal. Not the case when we get one unfortunately!

Carborundum

FishaPrice

That is a surprising and depressing stat. I am just curious to see how bad the perceived 'penalty discrepancy' is. Do you know how many we have we taken in that time, and what was our success rate? I have heard that the average conversion rate for penalty kicks is somewhere around 75%, but that can vary from league to league.

Palhinha Colada

Over the last (almost) three seasons, we're 13 of 20 (according to Transfermarkt).

bencher

I always fancied Betts to save a penalty, he had a very decent record from memory, but since then, although we've had much better goalkeepers in Areola and Leno (and Rodak I suppose), I haven't expected them to save any penalties

COLMAN

Quote from: bencher on March 22, 2023, 09:09:22 AM
I always fancied Betts to save a penalty, he had a very decent record from memory, but since then, although we've had much better goalkeepers in Areola and Leno (and Rodak I suppose), I haven't expected them to save any penalties

Betts saved 2 in a couple of minutes in a cup game against Hull.

Dodgin

Always liked the story of the penalty when the striker boot came off, the ball went in the net and the keeper saved the boot.