watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Red cards

Started by graham, March 20, 2023, 12:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

graham

I'm still seething. My initial reaction was "You stupid git, Mitro, you've thrown it away for us". The thing was, Manure were awful to that point, and subsequently winning 3-1 made them look good, which they weren't.

Reading more since, I don't think we've heard the last of it, or it's that simple. Yes, Mitro shouldn't have lost his temper, but I wonder if there's more to it, or are we clutching at straws.

Apparently the ref, Chris Kavanagh, was born in Ashton-under-Lyme, a suburb of Manchester, and was the ref in that game at West Ham, if you remember it, where he awarded WH 2 goals which should have been ruled out for handball.
Fernandes had previously pushed a lino in another game and completely got away with it.
In the game, Anthony kicked out at Robinson but VAR didn't even look at it.
Luke Shaw pushed Mitro in the back, just as he was going up for a header (Lee Dixon said about it) and VAR didn't even look at it. How is that not a pen? It's so obvious and the ref had a clear sight of it!
https://t.co/vDDgcnITWH" / Twitter
Kavanagh seemed to flash a red card at the least excuse.
Was Willian's handball deliberate? Perhaps it should have been a pen, but not a red card.

Are all the above points sour grapes? I expect the outcome will be the usual, but at least it answers why they were all so aggrieved and Mitro lost his temper. It was just so annoying as Manure hadn't been in the game until the penalty incident.

Marcel_Gecov

Anthony should have gone for that kick - if not seen can he be retrospectively punished? The sliding doors moment really, if he isnt on the pitch then the ball doesnt get to Sancho, no red card, no chaos.

But as this all did happen, then yes Mitro had to go... I dont know enough about what Marco did but clearly we have an issue with this ref.

demeant0r

Willian was the last man i believe so it's a red. As for the ref, i hope he never refs us again. What an utter prat.

andyk

The Mitro incident was no big deal.   Aggessive dissent, for which he got a straight red.   The touch on the ref was hardly going to hurt him, nor was it intended to hurt him.   Players surround the ref all the time these days, shouting and ranting about a decision. Sometimes players race up to the ref and bump into him or get very close to him.   Cards are pretty rare, even in these situations.  Usually it comes down to the ref's skillset.  Good refs can see a confrontation coming and move away swiftly.  This gives the player a chance to think about his actions, maybe clear the red mist.
A 3 match ban and we move on, that should be the end of it.   

WokingFFC

The Anthony kick out was seen by the lino, he waved away Jedi's appeals.

Jules

Agree with the views on this thread. The frustrating thing is none of the media or neutral supporters care about Fulham. They dont watch our games so can't make any judgement. Only Fulham fans can understand the injustice that we often face. They just see it as us moaning as we lost  Eg this ref gave Preston a phantom pen last season. He gave WHU handball goals, and he is from Manchester but still got selected for a quarter final in his home city! Couldn't make up how biased and unjust that all is.

davew

Kavanagh wouldn't be my favourite referee but we should remember that he didn't award the penalty to Utd, VAR official did! VAR didn't award us a penalty in the first half, Kavanagh didn't and neither did the VAR official!! Who was he by the way?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

filham

It all hinged on that red card for Willian, what if it was a wrong decision, as well it may be. Then the whole match was spoilt for fans and players. We need to think of a way of finishing all football matches with 11 v 11.
Ten minutes in the sin bin for the culprit and a full and thorough enquiry after the match with heavy punishment for the guilty.

davew

Quote from: filham on March 20, 2023, 06:51:54 PM
It all hinged on that red card for Willian, what if it was a wrong decision, as well it may be. Then the whole match was spoilt for fans and players. We need to think of a way of finishing all football matches with 11 v 11.
Ten minutes in the sin bin for the culprit and a full and thorough enquiry after the match with heavy punishment for the guilty.

Interesting suggestion which wouldn't work and what if a person was wrongly assigned to the sin bin and the match is decided in that 10 minutes? Willian was unlucky but as far as I am aware under the obscure FA rules a penalty and a red card was the right decision. Maybe the referee should be sent to a sin bin if the fans feel he has made a wrong decision.
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Brawn

I'm not arguing about Willian's red card but I feel the referee should have handled it more deftly. He doesn't talk to Willian once and thus Willian is at a loss as to why he's got a red card for an accidental handball. It would have taken the referee, almost rugby style, to talk to Ream and Willian to explain why he has to give red before giving it.

Thames Bank 1

Yes it was a penalty, and could
William get his hand out of the way, especially
at the speed he was going at, it did not look deliberate, to be a red, have seen worse handballs and fouls which did not get a red

Ashington White

Quote from: Brawn on March 20, 2023, 07:25:46 PM
I'm not arguing about Willian's red card but I feel the referee should have handled it more deftly. He doesn't talk to Willian once and thus Willian is at a loss as to why he's got a red card for an accidental handball. It would have taken the referee, almost rugby style, to talk to Ream and Willian to explain why he has to give red before giving it.

Was it accidental though?  Either way, unfortunately, once it was a penalty, it was a red card.  The only way it could have been a penalty but only a yellow card would have been if the ball wasn't going in, but I think it was.

Jim©

It seems stupid though, he'd been better off not busting a gut to get back and try to stop the ball going in. They go 1-1 and we still have 11 v 11 and have been battering them anyway. Games gone mad I'm afriad.

Black and White Town

Quote from: Jim© on March 21, 2023, 11:03:35 AM
It seems stupid though, he'd been better off not busting a gut to get back and try to stop the ball going in. They go 1-1 and we still have 11 v 11 and have been battering them anyway. Games gone mad I'm afriad.

Easy to say in hindsight, but no player would be able to think that through in the moment, and besides, it's not at all clear the handball was deliberate.

filham

Quote from: davew on March 20, 2023, 07:10:44 PM
Quote from: filham on March 20, 2023, 06:51:54 PM

Interesting suggestion which wouldn't work and what if a person was wrongly assigned to the sin bin and the match is decided in that 10 minutes? Willian was unlucky but as far as I am aware under the obscure FA rules a penalty and a red card was the right decision. Maybe the referee should be sent to a sin bin if the fans feel he has made a wrong decision.
A lot of us would think a sin bin is too comfortable for that ref and would be happier with some stocks with rotten tomatoes readily available. (only joking).