https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (13.01.11)

Started by White Noise, January 12, 2011, 10:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Stoor Transfer

Thursday 13th January 2011

Swedish international defender Fredrik Stoor has made a permanent move to Norwegian club Valerenga Fotball.

Stoor joined Fulham in the summer of 2008 after representing Sweden at the European Championships but found his chances limited due to the form of John Pantsil at right back.

Valerenga Fotball play their home matches at the Ullevaal Stadion, the home of the Norwegian national football team in Oslo. FFC would like to wish Fredrik every success for the future.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/January/StoorDeparts.aspx#ixzz1AvgoEXRF

White Noise

http://www.footballfancast.com/2011/01/football-blogs/peterborough-fans-put-their-premier-league-rivals-to-shame

Peterborough fans put their Premier League rivals to shame

Date: 13th January 2011 at 2:00 pm |

Written by Joseph Walsh

The FA Cup has always carried something a little special, especially when it enables teams lower down the league to visit a top flight club. And last weekend's third round was obviously no surprise as League 1's Peterborough travelled down to play Fulham. The result on the pitch was 6-2 to the home side. Yet the score line in the "battle of the fans'" was equally emphatic in favour of the away side.

Given an extra allocation of tickets as it was a cup game, the away crowd made full use of it by bringing down around 4,500 fans. Speaking to one on the walk from Putney Bridge to Craven Cottage, he told me how they had brought down more fans than usually turn up at London Road week in week out (but I think the few drinks he'd had on the way down might have caused this slight exaggeration). But the prospect of a trip south to a Premier League club was enough to entice The Posh fans to come out and support their team in their thousands. For Fulham it was a completely different story, the third round of an FA Cup tie against lower league opposition did not pull the crowds in and there were empty seats strewn all over the majority of Craven Cottage, as cut price tickets were not sufficient to get the fans in.

Needless to say having enjoyed a journey of a couple of hours down to West London the Peterborough fans were in good voice at the kick off. The Fulham fans by contrast, hardly renowned for their intimidating atmosphere in any case, appeared distinctly lethargic. I found it no coincidence that the early play greatly reflected the atmosphere created in the crowd, with Peterborough straight on to the front foot. Fulham's less than full throttle start would have been punished by a team with a tad more quality up front, with Peterborough forcing several corners in the opening exchanges and a couple of near misses. Almost inevitably Premier League quality did prove to be the difference a couple of quality passes by Danny Murphy and Damien Duff, silky touches by Clint Dempsey and powerful finishing from Diomansy Kamara saw Fulham build up a 2-0 half time lead.

Yet still the Peterborough fans remained in far more triumphant voice than their West London counterparts and again that seemed to carry onto the pitch with Peterborough starting the brighter of the two. Yet League 1 defending let them down as they allowed Fulham to build a 4-0 lead and for the first time you could hear at least momentarily the Fulham fans over the Peterborough fans. When their goal finally did arrive you would be forgiven for thinking Peterborough had just taken the game the way their fans celebrated. Ironic chants of "we're gonna win 5-4" had joined their others which had been accompanied with the infamous "shhhh" aimed at the home fans mocking the atmosphere, or lack thereof, amongst the home crowd.

I don't mean to be especially critical towards Fulham's fans as I understand it wasn't the most popular or glamorous tie for them and I've heard they can truly find their voice when say local rivals Chelsea visit. Indeed the pitch invasion in 2006 after their 1-0 victory over their more illustrious neighbours shows there is passion at in the Craven Cottage faithful. But it can't have helped the players being the home team and hearing all the support coming for the opposition and on the flip side Peterborough were visibly buoyed on the pitch by the fact their fans were winning that battle so convincingly, although they had had a good few hours drinking time on the coach down, which would have helped them find their voice. In a game where the abilities were closer these reactions by the players' to the fans may have been crucial.

White Noise

Team News

Mark Hughes' hand could be strengthened this weekend following the news that Andrew Johnson and Mousa Dembele could return to Fulham's First Team squad for Saturday's clash against Wigan Athletic at the DW Stadium.|

During Thursday afternoon's press conference at the Training Ground, Hughes revealed that both players trained this week as Fulham look to make it four wins in five matches against Wigan.

"We're hopeful that Andrew Johnson will be okay [for Saturday]," Hughes told fulhamfc.com. "He had a session today (Thursday) and he came through that okay. He had tightness in his hamstrings about ten days ago. He's okay touch wood.

"Mousa Dembele's had two or three sessions this week so he's an option for us as well. Apart from the long term injuries everyone is fit and well."

There was further good news surrounding the fitness of Bobby Zamora and Philippe Senderos, with the Manager stating that both players are on course to make their respective comebacks this season.   

"Bobby's looking good and Philippe Senderos is out with his boots on which he hasn't been able to do until this point," said Hughes. "It'll still be a number of weeks before they're available for selection but they're bang on track."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/January/WiganTeamNew.aspx#ixzz1Aw9jtrI1

White Noise

FA Cup Confirmation

The Club can confirm that Fulham's Fourth Round FA Cup tie against Tottenham Hotspur will be played on Sunday 30th January 2011. The game will kick-off at 4.30pm and will be shown live on ESPN.

Ticket prices and information to follow shortly on fulhamfc.com.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/January/SpursCupFixtureConfirmation.aspx#ixzz1AwA4XZYO

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6661034,00.html

Dons seal Milsom swoop

Brown makes third signing as new manager

Last updated: 13th January 2011   

Aberdeen have completed the signing of Fulham midfielder Robert Milsom for the remainder of the SPL season.

The 24-year-old, who had time on loan with Finnish club TPS this season, secured his release from the Cottagers after 12 years with the club.

Milsom has now penned a short-term deal at Pittodrie and manager Craig Brown is delighted to land the midfielder.

He is Brown's third signing as Aberdeen's new boss following the arrivals of David McNamee and Myles Anderson.

"We are delighted to have signed Rob," Brown told the club's official website. "He excelled on loan in Finland last season.

"Again our good relationship with Fulham through the manager Mark Hughes and his relationship with Archie, from their time at Manchester United and my friendship with reserve team coach Billy McKinlay, has enabled us to make this additional good signing for Aberdeen."

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6661202,00.html

Hughes not drawn on SWP

Fulham boss refuses to name specific transfer targets

Mark Hughes will not be drawn on whether Fulham are bidding to bring in Shaun Wright-Phillips - but admits they are on the lookout for good players.

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini says the England winger can leave Eastlands on loan this January after the 29-year-old made just two Premier League starts this term.

While the Cottagers are being linked with the player, who Hughes knows well from his previous tenure at City, the Fulham boss remained coy on any specific targets he has.

He told Sky Sports News: "There's a lot of speculation this time of the year and obviously he's a player I've worked with, a player I know.

"There's a number of players out there that there's speculation about that I've worked with before, but really it's unfair for me to comment on specific situations or specific players.

"Until they (the transfers) are actually formally structured and they actually happen, then it would be wrong for me to comment on individuals.

"But we're obviously looking to bring in good players if we can, we will always look to add to the quality, but in terms of specifics it's difficult to give you definites at this moment of time."

Bolster
Although Hughes would like to bolster his squad, he accepts that deals may not come off.

"It's not an exact science, you can't really pin down when deals are going to be concluded or if they're ever going to happen, it's very difficult to do that," he said.

"So we're probably in that place that we don't really know if things will be concluded or conversations that we're having will lead anywhere, that's where we're at."

Asked if there had been contact between the two clubs regarding Wright-Phillips, he replied: "I think those conversations happen all the time in terms of 'what's available and who are you releasing?'

"Those conversations are being had with not only Man City but almost every club in the Premier League.

"So I think those conversations are always being had and certainly we've enquired at a number of clubs in terms of what they're likely to be allowing out.

"So we're no different in that respect."

White Noise

http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/FACompetitions/TheFACup/NewsAndFeatures/2011/POTR3RP

E.ON Player of the Round

Thursday, 13 January, 2011

Pick your favourite from the Third Round Proper.

The FA Cup sponsored by E.ON
Third Round Proper
E.ON Player of the Round
Click here for the Fourth Round Proper ties

Five players have been nominated for the E.ON 'Player of the Round' award following their performance in The FA Cup Third Round Proper.

A five-strong panel have been nominating their candidates after each round (up to and including the Semi-Final) and you can vote for your favourite on TheFA.com.

The panel comprises FA Cup hero Ricky George, E.ON's Executive Director Graham Bartlett, Radio 5 live presenter Mark Chapman, The Daily Star's Sports Editor Howard Wheatcroft and TV personality Tim Lovejoy.

The selections for the Third Round Proper are as follows:

Michael Bostwick, Stevenage
22-year-old Bostwick scored his first goal since August to help Stevenage secure a memorable FA Cup upset, beating Newcastle 3-1 at Lamex Stadium. A solid performance from the youngster was capped off when his long range strike went in off the post shortly after the interval. Stevenage went on to score a third and produce one of the shocks of the round – a night that Bostwick and his team-mates will remember for a long time (Mark Chapman).

Shaun Harrad, Burton Albion
Harrad fired Burton Albion into the Fourth Round of The FA Cup for the first time in their history with two late goals against Middlesbrough at The Pirelli Stadium. In only his first start since 23 November, Harrad headed home from 12 yards out in the 82nd minute and then, deep into added time, he smashed home the winner to mark an historic FA Cup triumph for the Brewers (Ricky George).

Diomansy Kamara, Fulham
With his first hat-trick in English football, Kamara helped Fulham knock Peterborough for six at Craven Cottage. A goal just after the half-hour mark was followed up with a second-half brace which guided Fulham towards the Fourth Round (Graham Bartlett).

Kasper Schmeichel, Leeds United
The young Dane was one of the heroes for Leeds at Emirates Stadium as they earned themselves a replay against ten-time Cup winners Arsenal. A string of fine saves throughout the match kept the Gunners at bay until late on, but his best save came just before the final whistle as Schmeichel somehow got his fingertips to Denilson's strike from the edge of the box to turn it round the post (Tim Lovejoy).

Sergio Torres, Crawley Town
Torres' added time winner marked a famous victory for Crawley Town as they knocked out Championship side, and 1946 FA Cup winners, Derby to reach the Fourth Round. A Dean Howell corner fell to Torres who fired home from 20 yards. From shelf stacker at Boots to FA Cup hero, this was a night Torres and the 4,145 fans present will never forget (Howard Wheatcroft).

White Noise

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/852622-shaun-wright-phillips-offered-to-liverpool-and-fulham

Shaun Wright-Phillips 'offered for transfer to Liverpool and Fulham'

Shaun Wright-Phillips is heading for the Manchester City exit door, having been offered to Liverpool and Fulham.

The 29-year-old England international has fallen way down the pecking order at Eastlands, with manager Roberto Mancini clearly favouring the likes of Adam Johnson and David Silva.

Shaun Wright-Phillips could soon sign for Liverpool or Fulham

Wright-Phillips is in his second spell at Manchester City, having been brought back to the club from Chelsea by Mark Hughes.

Now it seems Hughes is keen to sign the player again, this time to take him back to west London and Fulham.

Liverpool are also believed to be interested in the player, with Reds manager Kenny Dalglish desperately needing to add a creative spark to his floundering team.

With Wright-Phillips set to be available for as little as £4million, he could be a useful signing for a Liverpool side still trying to establish a long-term strategy.
.One City player whose future does appear to be decided is Roque Santa Cruz, who looks set to rejoin Blackburn.

City boss Roberto Mancini conceded he would have to let Santa Cruz and Wright-Phillips go in search of first-team football.

'Every player wants to play. I understand that. But it is difficult for me. It is the same situation for Roque and Shaun Wright-Phillips,' he said.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/852622-shaun-wright-phillips-offered-to-liverpool-and-fulham#ixzz1AwI5CuRn

White Noise

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/fulham-refuse-to-deny-shaun-wrightphillips-speculation-2183931.html

Fulham refuse to deny Shaun Wright-Phillips speculation

By Ben Rumsby, PA

Thursday, 13 January 2011

Mark Hughes today refused to deny he was trying to bring Shaun Wright-Phillips to Fulham but ruled out a move for his Manchester City team-mate Emmanuel Adebayor.

Hughes has been linked with both of his former players, who have found themselves all but frozen out at Eastlands this season.

City boss Roberto Mancini confirmed this morning he expects Wright-Phillips to leave this month.

One of Hughes' first acts as Mancini's predecessor two-and-a-half years ago was to bring the England winger back to the north-west from Chelsea.

And it appears he is now trying to convince the 29-year-old to return to west London.

"He's a player I've worked with, a player I know," Hughes said.

"There's a number of players out there that there's speculation about that I've worked with before.

"It's unfair for me to comment on specific situations or specific players."

Asked if Fulham had contacted City about Wright-Phillips, Hughes added: "I think those conversations happen all the time in terms of what's available and who you're releasing.

"Those conversations have been had not only with Man City but almost every club in the Premier League.

"Certainly, we've enquired at a number of clubs in terms of what they're likely to be allowing out."

As much as Hughes would like to sign Adebayor, who he also brought to City, it appears the former Arsenal striker is well out of Fulham's price range.

"Manu is a guy who I like as a person," Hughes said.

"As a player, he did well for me. He had problems when he went out of the team but he's a good guy.

"Any team that had a player of the quality of Adebayor would be strengthened.

"But that doesn't mean that we're in a position to bring him here, I have to say."

Money - both in terms of of transfer fee and wages - could ultimately scupper a move for Wright-Phillips, who turned down a new contract at City last year.

Hughes admitted any player coming to Fulham would need to be more concerned about his career than his pay packet.

He said: "I think what we have to offer is a good club, a club that wants to go to the next level, a very good management team and an opportunity to progress their careers if they've stalled.

"People in the game know certainly what I and my team can offer, and the club itself is very well run.

"I'm making a good sales pitch here, but why not?

"People assume that if you give players enought money, they'll come anywhere, but that's not normally the case."

As well as trying to bring players to Craven Cottage, Hughes is also keen to prevent them jumping ship.

Several of his squad are out of contract at the end of the season and while some may be allowed to leave, one man the Fulham boss is desperate to keep is captain Danny Murphy.

Talks over a new deal are progressing well, according to Hughes, who said: "We're very, very hopeful that that will be concluded very quickly."

Fulham look set for a twin boost ahead of Saturday's crunch Barclays Premier League trip to Wigan, with strikers Moussa Dembele and Andy Johnson both back from injury.

Long-term casualty Philippe Senderos has also begun light training with a view to returning next month.

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6661355,00.html

Hughes realistic on Adebayor

Fulham boss plays down talk of move for City striker

Mark Hughes has expressed his admiration for Emmanuel Adebayor but admitted Fulham are not in a position to bring him in.

Hughes worked with the striker during his time in charge of Manchester City and has a lot of respect for him as a person as well as a player.

Adebayor's future is currently uncertain after falling down the pecking order at Eastlands, with Roberto Mancini stating that he had yet to decide whether to let the 26-year-old leave.

While Hughes accepts that he would love to sign somebody of Adebayor's quality, the Cottagers could probably not afford such a deal.

"Manu is a guy who I like as a person," said Hughes. "As a player, he did well for me.

"He had problems when he went out of the team but he's a good guy.

"Any team that had a player of the quality of Adebayor would be strengthened.

"But that doesn't mean that we're in a position to bring him here, I have to say."

Murphy talks
As well as looking to strengthen his squad before the transfer window slams shut, Hughes is also determined to keep all his key men.

Several of his squad are out of contract at the end of the season and while some may be allowed to leave, one man the Fulham boss is desperate to keep is captain Danny Murphy.

Talks over a new deal are progressing well, according to Hughes, who said: "We're very, very hopeful that that will be concluded very quickly."