watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Anyone Remember This One?

Started by White Noise, January 13, 2011, 06:42:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Were the line-ups any good and how did the game go?

sunburywhite

I have a memory that John Charles turned out for this becuase I remember him coming onto the pitch and thinking "God, what a giant of a man". He seemed to head the ball further than the keeper could kick it.
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

os5889

Quote from: sunburywhite on January 13, 2011, 07:17:09 PM
I have a memory that John Charles turned out for this becuase I remember him coming onto the pitch and thinking "God, what a giant of a man". He seemed to head the ball further than the keeper could kick it.

Welcome aboard Sunbury white, great post to choose a starter on!

sunburywhite

Many thanks kind sir
I have been reading the board for a long time and you seemed to be doing so well without me. Nice to see a bunch of cyber mates getting along without any of the idiots who ruin half these boards. For the record I think my first game was the 59/60 season
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Tonywa

Well I was there and still have a copy of the programme, but will admit that my memories of the occasion are so hazy as to be pretty well non-existent.  Though as our new poster indicates I do seem to recall that John Charles took part.

Burt

Sorry can't help.

I was but a twinkle in my father's eye at that time.

LBNo11

...a crowd of 24,444 watched these games. Tommy Trinder started proceedings by saying that Johnny Haynes would be the highest pid player in the third division, (we were about to be relegated for the third season on the trot!). Johnny scored with a left footed shot in the 7-4 beating of Bobby Moore's XI, their side including a certain up and coming Clyde Best who scored two of their goals.

The Fulham Past V Present was next, to the Fulham present side was added two celebs, Jimmy Tarbuck and Tommy Steele. The game ended 2 - 2, Barry Lloyd who would take over the number 10 shirt eventually, and Jimmy Conway scoring for the present, and Jimmy Hill and Tosh Chamberlain contributing to the Fulham Past tally.

Fulham Present:-
McClelland, Moreline, Matthewson, Horne, Roberts, Byrne, Tarbuck, Lloyd, Dear, Conway and Steele

Fulham Past:-
Underwood, Dodgin Jr, O'Connell, Langley, Robson, Greenwood, Eddie Lowe, Pablo Stevens, Hill, Jezzard, Leggat and Tosh Chamberlain

The match raised £11,000 for Johnny - the equivelant of two days wages for the average premiership player these days...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

cutbushcitylimits

Hi all,new to the board(but have lurked for a while)....i actually have the signed matchball of that game (it was won by my father-in law and donated to me) does anyone know if i could get a copy of that programme anywhere?...I did think of donating the ball to the fulham museum (if that still exists)

LBNo11

...ah, Cutbushcitylimits, I remember you from the old, old, old official MB, one of my favourite poster names ever (after a player called John Cutbush and Ike and Tina Turners songs 'Nutbush City Limits' - oh! please yourselves). Welcome to FoF...

White Noise

Welcome Cutbush (And to Sunbury too  :dft010:) - good to have you on board.

I clipped that pic from the ebay banners at the top of the page but the sale was about to end.

I think this is the same one though and the bidding ends in 13 days -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JOHNNY-HAYNES-TESTIMONIAL-PROGRAMME-FULHAM-ENGLAND-RARE-/250748442416?pt=UK_Sports_Memorabilia_Football_Programmes_ET&hash=item3a61c59730

cutbushcitylimits

Thanks LB and WN, you all run a good board here...i still post on TIFF but its becoming annoying with the constant bitching and the spamming. Any way thanks for the welcome.

White Noise

I don't know if you fancy an avatar pic by your name Mr Cutbush sir?

I am LBNo11 or one of his colleagues could find a pic of the great man if you want one.

The only one I could find was this one which is very small and part of a composite (can you do anything with that LB?) -

LBNo11

...the deed is done, cutbushcitylimits, you now have an avatar of our man from Malta (now living in Doncaster, working for BMW)...

cutbushcitylimits