https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Player Contracts & Expiry Dates

Started by White Noise, January 14, 2011, 11:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJG

Quote from: Scrumpy on February 13, 2011, 03:25:17 PM
Quote from: Ron Sheepskin on February 13, 2011, 03:04:06 PM
There's a few good youngsters there, and I really hope that the club are in discussion with Matty Briggs already. Would hate to lose him. I'm sure that Etheridge is also highly regarded but, like most of us, I haven't seen him play so it would be unfair of me to comment on him.

And WN -  :Sparkyticus:

Am I being unfair on Matthew Briggs when I say I'm not sure he's quite got what it takes? His speed of thought does not seem to be there at times - he was made to look a bit sloppy by both Arsenal and Chelsea. Or does it take time for this to develop, and should I be more patient? It's never easy to tell with youngsters, but I'd be interested in your views.

Quite a lot of the young defenders who made it through to start a fee games looked good but never kicked on.
I put it down to how mistakes in the prem by defenders are highlighted more and managers and fans fail to give them time to learn their trade.the cost of failure is too great. Hence teams tend to stick with utility men like baird or proven overseas players, and then off the youngsters drift to the lower leagues.

Ron Sheepskin

There's a few good youngsters there, and I really hope that the club are in discussion with Matty Briggs already. Would hate to lose him. I'm sure that Etheridge is also highly regarded but, like most of us, I haven't seen him play so it would be unfair of me to comment on him.

Am I being unfair on Matthew Briggs when I say I'm not sure he's quite got what it takes? His speed of thought does not seem to be there at times - he was made to look a bit sloppy by both Arsenal and Chelsea. Or does it take time for this to develop, and should I be more patient? It's never easy to tell with youngsters, but I'd be interested in your views.

I take your point about speed of thought. I reckon it develops - adapting to the pace of a Premier League game takes time, not just for youngsters. How many seasoned players have come into the league, only to be found wanting.

I like Briggs, and I think that we need to see how he progresses. I watched him against Port Vale in the League Cup and he looked comfortable, albeit against lower league opposition. He's still learning - in that game he was too unsure of his right to attack, unil Brede told him that he cound, and he (Brede) would cover at the back. From that moment he was a much more confident player.

Mind you, against all that I've said, I thought Smalling was slow and nervous and would never amount to anything... if it was easy, I'd be a manager!
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

HatterDon

I can't imagine any young defender whose first two starts in the first team were against Chelsea and Arsenal looking good immediately. I quite like what Briggs has already and what promise he has. I think he's our left back for a good 2-3 years before we sell him for about 10 milllion [he IS English, after all]
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

White Noise

Briggs Contract Extension

Tuesday 1st March 2011

Fulham FC can confirm that Matthew Briggs has signed a contract extension with the Club that will see the defender remain at the Cottage until at least the summer of 2014.

Briggs made history in 2007 by becoming the youngest Premier League player in history when he made his senior debut at the tender age of 16 years and 65 days against Middlesbrough.

The promising England U19 international was handed his first start for Fulham on the 25th August 2010 as Fulham recorded an emphatic 6-0 win over Port Vale in the Carling Cup. Briggs' impressive performance at the Cottage included an assist for Zoltan Gera's opening goal of the game.

Briggs' display against Port Vale was rewarded with a start against Chelsea in the West London derby at Stamford Bridge before injury interrupted his spell in the First Team during Fulham's game against Arsenal at the Emirates in December 2010.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/March/BriggsContractExtension.aspx#ixzz1FMKmTHCe

White Noise

Sidwell Contract Extension

Monday 18th April 2011

Fulham Football Club is pleased to announce that Steve Sidwell has signed an extension to his contract that will keep the midfielder at the Club until the summer of 2014.

Speaking from Motspur Park on Monday afternoon, Sidwell was clearly pleased to have put pen to paper.

"I'm delighted to be tied down for another three years," he told fulhamfc.com. "The main objective was to come here in January and prove myself to get a contract. Now that's been done I'm not going to sit on my laurels, I'm hopefully going to kick on.

"I was fortunate enough to get a chance to play due to the injury to Dickson, but then on the flipside it was my turn to be injured. So it's been a bit up and down but on the whole I've settled in well. I'd like to thank the management and the people upstairs. I'm delighted to be here for three years.

"Initially it was like a trial period and it was down to me to prove myself. It's gone well and there's still a lot more to come from me – so hopefully given the opportunities and chances I can do well.

"I'd like to help in the progress of the Club and take it where the management and the owner want to take it. This has been a transitional year compared to the success the Club had last year. But I'll be hoping to take each year as it comes and progress."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/April/SidwellContractExtension.aspx#ixzz1KShiM95d

White Noise

Fulham Sign Burn

Thursday 14th April 2011

Fulham Football Club is delighted to confirm the signing of Dan Burn on a three year deal for an undisclosed fee.

The highly-rated 18-year-old defender signs from Darlington and will join Mark Hughes' squad in the summer of 2011.

Burn progressed through Darlington's Academy and has courted interest from many other clubs. He has made 10 appearances for the Quakers this season which has seen the side reach the FA Trophy Final.

Born in Northumberland, 6' 6" Burn has great aerial presence and made his Football League debut for Darlington in 2009. Since then, his impressive performances have caught the eye of many top clubs.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/April/BurnDeal.aspx#ixzz1JfSAZiEN

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6801667,00.html

Fulham land Israeli starlet

Cottagers to sign Altman

By Graeme Bailey - Follow me on Twitter @graemebailey   

Last updated: 8th March 2011   

Fulham look to have beaten a host of Premier League clubs to sign Israeli starlet Omri Altman.

The 16-year-old midfielder has attracted attention from a number of clubs in recent months, and spent time training with Liverpool and Arsenal last year.

He has also spent time with Fulham, who have now pushed through a deal with his club Maccabi Tel Aviv.

Maccabi have confirmed that they have concluded a deal with the Cottagers for Altman, who turns 17 at the end of this month.

A statement from Maccabi read: "Maccabi Tel Aviv have reached agreement with English side Fulham for the transfer of youth player Omri Altman.

"The transfer is now dependant on him signing his professional contract."

Maccabi say the deal is expected to be concluded this week.

White Noise

http://www.footballconference.co.uk/news/details.php?news_id=4238

Hatters Prospect Joins Fulham

25th March 2011 13:11

Three years with Blue Square Bet Premier club Luton Town`s celebrated Centre of Excellence has seen Cauley Woodrow develop into one of football's hottest prospects.

And now, after being the first player from a non-League team since 1974 to represent a full England side when he played - and scored - for the under-17s, the Hatters can announce that the 16-year-old has signed for Barclays Premier League Fulham.

The six-figure transfer fee agreed with the Cottagers is the highest received by the club since 2020 took over at Kenilworth Road and could go onto exceed and smash the current transfer record received for a club in non-League football.

Having shot to prominence after scoring six goals in an FA Youth Cup game for the under-18s when only 15 back in September, Woodrow made his debut for the Hatters in December's 2-1 victory at Welling United in the FA Trophy and went onto feature in a further two games in the same competition.

In a deal that will ultimately protect the existing quality of players in the Town's Centre of Excellent programme, Woodrow will join the Craven Cottage outfit with immediate effect.

Youth development officer Gregg Broughton said: "Although we are disappointed to lose a player of his calibre, this move is one that will benefit Cauley, the club and all the young players in the centre of excellence.

"Money generated from this move will not only allow us to reinvest the funds for a category 2 academy status under the new Premier League ruling but, also, should the club be unable to achieve promotion this season, allow to safeguard the future of all our other young talents.

"Cauley came to us three years ago and during that time has been exceptional in everything he has done both on and off the pitch.

"His work ethic, attitude to training and ability to deal with the ups and downs during that period should act as an example to all of our other young players.

"It means we now have three players from this age group who are now plying their trade with Premier League clubs. Cauley joins David Moli at Liverpool and Lewis Baker at Chelsea.

"This is a record that our coaching and recruitment staff should be proud of and, although it is a shame none of these will feature in the youth team next season, it will give the rest of the year group a truly fantastic chance of fulfilling their potential."