watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Napoli fans taking over part of Leicester Square tonight

Started by Slaphead in Qatar, May 04, 2023, 11:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slaphead in Qatar

Walking back from a night out today. Wondered what all the noise and dancing was about. Londons Italian community was celebrating the title - very lively and nice to see people getting joy from football

Burt

I was watching some of the footage from Twitter of the scenes in Naples. I don't think anyone would have got much sleep last night!

That will be us next season  ::tongue::

wback

It'd be nice to see that type of passion from British fans, but the truth is that PL games are now pretty sterile. Away at Liverpool wasn't some fearsome experience, Man City fans were pretty quiet on Sunday. Lots of games just feel like they're being observed, watched on TV, even when you're in the stands.

I read this piece this week and it resonated:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2023/apr/24/watford-season-ticket-fans-pozzo

For example, looking at our team, who is truly "Fulham". Perhaps Cairney and Mitro? Reed, Robinson and Tete have been around a while now. Kebano is a cult hero. But some of them, and the rest of our squad might not be remembered long if they were to move on. No one came up through the ranks. There's no old stager, no hero, no one remembered for a single moment where they transcended themselves.

As a result, I find myself watching games with vague disinterest, and since it became obvious we were going to be fine, I've felt *nothing at all* when watching many of them. We lose to Villa, Man City and Liverpool by the odd goal? We played ok? Sure, fine, no problem.

So I ask, are we all keeping going out of habit? Out of loyalty to an idea that doesn't really exist? £3,000 season tickets, swimming pools on the stadium roof are just the beginning, aren't they? They're not "the end" of the changes we'll see. Each time they'll go a little further, and something of the spirit will leave the place.

Are there better things to do with Saturday afternoons and Tuesday and Wednesday nights than spending hours following this, watching it slowly unfold, head in a direction that's not one of our choosing?

Napoli's win looks so amazing because it's night and day. A team that really resonates with its support, and its city.

What would it actually take to become the most passionately followed team in London?

Dodgin

Disappointed with the Napoli result on Sunday, had a bet with ten home wins. Nine came up on Saturday, Napoli winning the next day until the equaliser in the 84th minute. Still won £34 so can't complain.

Steeeeeeeeeed

Been a good Season for Maradona fans with Napoli and Argentina winning their big tournaments