watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: What will Toney's punishment be?

Started by Somerset Fulham, May 16, 2023, 08:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFC1987

Quote from: FFC1987 on May 16, 2023, 08:59:30 PMI think 9-12 months based on other punishments but its complete BS if it starts during pre season.
Quote from: Somerset Fulham on May 16, 2023, 09:08:56 PMThat's a strong start, 87! Not that I make you wrong in any way.

I honestly can't even begin to work out what it should be as opposed to what it is likely to be. I can't see them being the same thing, if that makes sense.

When I went down the rabbit hole on this, I think I read a footballer in league two or one was banned for 9 months for around 130 charges. Which was relatively recent compared to looking at much older ban on players so with that in mind, we know he'd admitted to at least 230 guilty verdicts, so I think I'm being rather mild saying 9-12 months really.

He's high profile, we don't exactly know the nature of his bets but we do know he's been helping the investigating to the best of his and his counsels ability, so I think this would be fair. But yes, 9 months including pre season and out of football time at the least, is laughable really. Especially as they've waited until the seasons finished to make the judgement which can't be coincidental.

We'll see I guess.

Deeping_white

8 months is the winning number, meaning he's banned until January...

RoyTund

They have still got away lightly given the summer break. Basically 5 months.

Lighthouse

Now we know how serious the allegations were and why they delayed it until the closing moments of the season. Big ban but in reality a ban only until January in the season.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Buffalo76

By the time he's available again the bus stop in hounslow will b playing catch up  ::yay::

bill taylors apprentice

So, what exactly does a ban from all football activities mean?

Does it mean he has to train on his own and not be involved in any kind of practise games or ball related training with any other player?

Deeping_white

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on May 17, 2023, 05:18:46 PMSo, what exactly does a ban from all football activities mean?

Does it mean he has to train on his own and not be involved in any kind of practise games or ball related training with any other player?

Not allowed to even train with Brentford until September. Any FA affiliated football activities are off limits to him for four momths and then all he can do is train from September to Jan, no behind closed door games or anything

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: Deeping_white on May 17, 2023, 05:19:59 PM
Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on May 17, 2023, 05:18:46 PMSo, what exactly does a ban from all football activities mean?

Not allowed to even train with Brentford until September. Any FA affiliated football activities are off limits to him for four momths and then all he can do is train from September to Jan, no behind closed door games or anything

That is actually the killer in this I reckon.  Ouch.

Lighthouse

In reality is really a nineteen, twenty odd game ban. Considering Mitro just had an 8 game ban for pushing a referee and the FA appealed for a longer sentence.  I suppose we make up our own mind about fairness and consistency.

Nero

Fined 50K as well, he'll be putting an accumulator on

WindyCity

I had asked in the other Toney thread when the clock starts for this banning?  Why should it apply during the off season months?  What purpose does that serve?

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: WindyCity on May 17, 2023, 05:29:16 PMI had asked in the other Toney thread when the clock starts for this banning?  Why should it apply during the off season months?  What purpose does that serve?

He isn't even allowed to train with the side, so no preseason fitness and I presume, no transfer either.

Lighthouse

He can still keep fit and run. But he can't train with the team and go out drinking and betting with them.

WindyCity

Quote from: Lighthouse on May 17, 2023, 05:37:25 PMHe can still keep fit and run. But he can't train with the team and go out drinking and betting with them.

::ahah::

Benny

Whats the point in a 8 Month ban from now when the season is about to finish?

Should be 8 Months of the season, so corrupt it really is

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: Benny on May 17, 2023, 07:41:04 PMWhats the point in a 8 Month ban from now when the season is about to finish?

He will miss a full preseason which is probably harsher than the six or seven games he may have played fully fit. He isn't even allowed to train with a team until the end of September.   This isn't something that I didn't think of before today, but it is pretty big in the grand scheme of things.

FFC1987

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on May 17, 2023, 07:51:38 PM
Quote from: Benny on May 17, 2023, 07:41:04 PMWhats the point in a 8 Month ban from now when the season is about to finish?

He will miss a full preseason which is probably harsher than the six or seven games he may have played fully fit. He isn't even allowed to train with a team until the end of September.   This isn't something that I didn't think of before today, but it is pretty big in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not convinced, at all, that being unable to train during holiday/pre season, is in any way shape or form, worse, than not being able to play during a season. I see the point to some degree, but worse than say, missing August-March would be way more impactful to him.

As for the stumbling block to say FFP, Brentford aren't in any sort of financial jeopardy so wouldn't be expected to sell Toney. So its not really hampering them. Ultimately, Brentford didn't do anything wrong here. So, my issue with the punishment isn't about maximising the impact to the club. Its simply laying out fair and consistent punishment to the player at fault. Stopping a player playing football during holiday season and pre season, ain't that at all. And less than prior punishments for more charges is also not right.

andrew G

it should be number of games, not months.
this is a ridiculous way to do it.