watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army- Was anyone there?

Started by bog, May 19, 2023, 04:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MickTheBeard

When johny Haynes was temporarily in charge he sold macdonald and John ryan for20 thousand quoting they will never make footballers

St Eve

I was there. We hadn't scored a goal for hours and along came super Mac. A header I think

COLMAN

I was there, we had gone 5 games without scoring, with MacDonald breaking that streak with a 25 yard strike. It was clear that he had pace, power, and strength but was raw which time would sort. I said at the time that he would play and score for England, unfortunately the FFC powers to be incorrectly thought otherwise. When he was sold for peanuts (£17500 )at the end of the season I for the first and only time thought of giving up on FFC. Glad I didn't of course, and he did return to develop and manage a very good and attractive footballing team despite budget constraints and an eccentric and unhelpful chairman.

MacDonald's autobiography (SuperMac) is well worth a read.

COLMAN

Quote from: St Eve on May 21, 2023, 03:08:52 PMI was there. We hadn't scored a goal for hours and along came super Mac. A header I think

I think it was a 25 yarder rocket but you're correct in saying that we hadn't scored for hours.

b+w geezer

It's not just in hindsight that so many of us lament the Macdonald decision -- everyone around thought so at the time.
(Maybe the only occasion he played as a full-back was pre-season at Southend when he was listed at RB. Before the teams appeared, we imagined they'd miss-spelled 'Mealand'.)

Dr Know

Quote from: MickTheBeard on May 21, 2023, 02:45:47 PMWhen johny Haynes was temporarily in charge he sold macdonald and John ryan for20 thousand quoting they will never make footballers
Haynes was in charge for 18 days in 1968 , Macdonald and Ryan were sold in 1969 !

ron

I remember the defensive qualities of Johnny Ryan ....and Bobby Drake....at Upton Park in '68.. we conceded seven...

bog

Quote from: ron on May 26, 2023, 01:23:51 PMI remember the defensive qualities of Johnny Ryan ....and Bobby Drake....at Upton Park in '68.. we conceded seven...

I was at that epic. With my long gone father we stood in the stand I think they called the chicken shack.

::oldgit::

Colton F.C.

bog

Stoneleigh Loyalist

When I went there occasionally with my first choice West Ham supporting Dad we normally went in the Chicken Run. For that match he bought good seats tickets and I had to sit there and suffer the goals as they went in. Not a nice expe4ience!

MickTheBeard

When Haynes was temporary in charge he got rid of Mac and Ryan saying they weren't good enough.Well Bobby Moore,Bobby Charlton and many others being very good players don't make good managers same thing with good coaches don't allways make good managers as well

Dr Know

Quote from: MickTheBeard on May 28, 2023, 09:23:06 PMWhen Haynes was temporary in charge he got rid of Mac and Ryan saying they weren't good enough.Well Bobby Moore,Bobby Charlton and many others being very good players don't make good managers same thing with good coaches don't allways make good managers as well
Incorrect , see my earlier post , Macdonald and Ryan were sold in 1969 , Haynes was in charge for 18 days in November 1968 !