Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (16.01.11)

Started by White Noise, January 15, 2011, 07:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Zamora and Senderos set to hand Fulham fitness boost

Published 22:30 15/01/11

By Bill Mills

Fulham striker Bobby Zamora and defender Philippe Senderos are on course to make first-team returns next month.

Zamora suffered a broken leg and ankle ­ligament damage against Wolves back in ­September.

Senderos has yet to play for his new club ­following his summer move from Arsenal after he ruptured an Achilles tendon in August.

But both players have ­resumed light training and Fulham boss Mark Hughes is confident they will be ready to make a return in the next few weeks.

Hughes, whose side drew 1-1 at Wigan yesterday, said: "Bobby is looking good.And Philippe is out with his boots on which he has not been able to do. There are still a number of weeks before they will be back for selection, but they are on track."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Bobby-Zamora-and-Phillipe-Senderos-set-to-hand-Fulham-fitness-boost-article674213.html#ixzz1BBFKFu26

White Noise

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/01/15/hughes-predicts-top-10-for-battling-fulham-82029-27993061/

Hughes predicts top 10 for battling Fulham

By Yann Tear

Jan 15 2011

MARK Hughes believes his team have it in them to finish in the top half of this season, in spite of their lack of goals.

Fulham fully deserved a share of the spoils at Wigan on Saturday - which came courtesy of an Andy Johnson goal four minutes from time - and the Fulham boss sees it as a sign of better things to come.

"We are a good side that have lacked a cutting edge," Hughes said. "But we look in better shape now and we are looking forward to the second half of the season.

"I feel we have good players coming back and have enough ability in the squad to get into the top 10."

Hughes added: "We found ourselves 1-0 down in a game that we controlled.

"They made it difficult for us, packed men behind the ball and were always a threat up front on the break with Rodallega and N'Zogbia. I thought the players showed real courage, kept going and got their reward.

"I'm pleased for Andy Johnson. He's come back from a significant injury and that's him up and running now.

"I never felt that we gave up, we kept going and got our reward and we were well worth a point.

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/01/15/hughes-predicts-top-10-for-battling-fulham-82029-27993061/#ixzz1BBFvD6iE

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/01/15/2307142/late-fulham-equaliser-leaves-bad-taste-for-wigan-athletic

Late Fulham equaliser leaves 'bad taste' for Wigan Athletic boss Roberto Martinez

Spaniard unfazed by reports linking players with Latics exit

By Alex Fisher at the DW Stadium

15 Jan 2011 23:22:00

Wigan Athletic manager Roberto Martinez was left disappointed after a late Andy Johnson strike denied his side victory over Fulham at the DW Stadium.

The Latics had taken the lead early in the second half through Hugo Rodallega but Johnson's strike in the 86th minute grabbed a point for the Cottagers and Martinez admitted the result felt a little bit like a defeat.

"When you concede that late it leaves you with a bad taste [in your mouth]," he told reporters.

"In a game where the first half we couldn't be ourselves, we couldn't be as fluent as we want to be for different reasons, the pitch, the nature of game, the referee – I don't think he allowed the game to be fluent enough.

"We had a fantastic move, probably the best move of the game, with Hugo hitting the post and we didn't do that enough.

"But then I was extremely proud of the reaction in second half, we started to grow into the game, we were a little braver, we got on the ball and tried to take risks, and then we achieved hardest thing in football in scoring the first goal.

"After that we had a good chance to kill the game off but we couldn't get on the ball. We allowed Fulham to push forward but even then I felt we defended really well, Ali [Al Habsi] was magnificent commanding his defence and it had to be a deflected shot to beat us really late.

"Those details probably sum up our afternoon, we didn't get that bit of luck you need in games but extremely proud of the reaction second half and the manner we wanted to face adversity."

The drab first half performance seemed to frustrate everyone inside the stadium but in the second half Wigan continued to push for the all-important second goal and although it was not to be, Martinez rued a glorious chance spurned by Rodallega.

"You could see the whole stadium was frustrated, we felt a little bit sorry about ourselves but I don't think the players showed that in the second half at all and it was very unfortunate couldn't keep clean sheet that I felt after scoring we were going to do," he added.

"That [Rodallega's miss] was the key moment, as you can imagine Fulham were going to throw bodies forward with real quality to effect the game.

"But they left themselves a bit exposed at the back and we played that role really well and that chance is the one that kills the game and gets three points."

With the transfer window now open many will expect to see bids for Wigan's star players Charles N'Zogbia and Rodallega but Martinez is not worried about any players leaving the club and is focusing on improving the current squad.

"It doesn't worry me [that players could leave] because the chairman has made it very clear that we've got our budget and we don't have to sell to balance the books," he revealed.

"That gives you a great security and from our point of view we want to improve the squad. In every window you could lose players, but it's important we can get the players out injured back in this window, I feel that those three [James McCarthy, Victor Moses and Tom Cleverley] will be the biggest signing we can have."

White Noise

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1347533/Kenny-Dalglish-Millionaire-stars-forever-grateful-61-heroes.html?ITO=1490

Millionaire stars should be forever grateful to '61 heroes

Last updated at 12:16 AM on 16th January 2011

Every well-paid Premier League player in action this weekend should be eternally grateful to the likes of Jimmy Hill, who 50 years ago this week fought so hard to end the £20-a-week maximum wage.

Without sounding militant, people like Jimmy - and the ex-England striker George Eastham, who went on strike at Newcastle United to pave the way for the transfer rights we all take for granted these days - put their careers on the line and generations of players, myself included, have benefited ever since.

World's apart: Jimmy Hill and Steven Gerrard

It is hard to imagine now what the situation was like before January 1961, when there were huge attendances to watch matches but players only received a fraction of what was coming through the door.

There has been an ever-increasing spiral in wages since then and you can only call today's level of pay astronomical. But it's important to remember the original dispute was over a matter of principle, the right to negotiate a contract, not figures.

I don't think there is a problem today for the great players to be paid a fortune, because of what they can do on the pitch and the commercial income they bring in off the pitch. I don't think the majority of fans would begrudge them that.

But where football is suffering at the moment is that the best players are so well-paid, it leads to the middle-of-the-road players - for want of a better description - getting a lot more than what they are entitled to. It is claimed that players' wages have led to financial instability in football, but surely the problems only arise if clubs don't act responsibly and agree to pay wages they can't afford.

Players don't earn money that has not been offered to them. The Premier League has been fantastically successful in recent years, including financially, and I don't think it is unreasonable for players to share in it. But if a club do their financial planning properly and work out that signing a player doesn't make sense, they have to be prepared to lose that player.

Money gets the blame for creating a gap between the modern football star and the man in the street, but I don't think that is the only reason. Footballers are public figures now and that can be difficult in an era with all sorts of modern technology to record your every move.

Players are entitled to enjoy themselves like anyone else, but whereas fans used to ask for autographs, now they are able to take pictures with their camera phones and those shots can go around the world. It creates caution in footballers and I'd suggest that as much as money is the reason for the lack of affinity between ordinary people and players. There is no excuse for bad behaviour, of course not, but it honestly can't be easy if you think an ordinary night out is going to end up being pictured and displayed to everyone.

I think more players are aware of the fight to end the maximum wage than you'd think. The Professional Footballers' Association - of whom Hill became chairman when still a Fulham player in 1957 - still plays a big part in the game, it is just that a lot of their work is unsung.

Rich pickings: Manchester City owner Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan (left)

It's as much to do with helping players who have retired through injury or played in the lower leagues as it is with superstar millionaires. Personally, I wouldn't like to see the reintroduction of a maximum wage - or even a salary cap - despite some clubs getting into financial difficulty in recent years.

Why go back 50 years when the boys fought so hard back then? If clubs cannot afford a certain wage, then don't offer it. And if someone like Sheikh Mansour comes in and wants to invest heavily in a football club, as he has at Manchester City, let him get on with it.

I even have a feeling that when the proposed new UEFA regulations come in so you can only spend a certain ratio of your income on wages, clubs will find ways around it. I'd also like to reassure supporters that despite the financial rewards, no player starts out in football for money rather than enjoyment.

Is a six-year-old kid thinking about becoming a millionaire when he kicks a ball about? I don't think so, but if he ends up entertaining millions of fans and making a club millions of pounds, why shouldn't he deserve to be rewarded.

Maybe some parents nowadays think early on their kids will be able to make a fantastic living for the whole family from the game, but that doesn't mean it happens. Usually, the harder you push kids towards something, the more they rebel.

The only way to put in the time and dedication to be a professional player is for the first motivation to be a love of the sport, not financial, and that is still true today. I was only a kid back in 1961 when these momentous events were happening and too young to realise what was going on. I was too busy kicking a ball about myself!

My first salary with Celtic didn't get near the £20 mark, more like £6, but a career in the game has taught me the debt of gratitude we owe to those who fought so hard 50 years ago.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1347533/Kenny-Dalglish-Millionaire-stars-forever-grateful-61-heroes.html#ixzz1BBH4Kx00

White Noise

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Wigan-1-1-Fulham-Sunday-Mirror-match-report-Andy-Johnson-ends-17-month-wait-for-a-Premier-League-goal-article674183.html

Wigan 1-1 Fulham: Sunday Mirror match report

Published 22:00 15/01/11

By Derick Allsop

The celebration of the little striker and those faithful souls gathered behind the goal told its own poignant story.

After a season and a half of injury, anguish and uncertainty, Andy Johnson was a goalscorer again and Fulham had a precious late equaliser.

Johnson, a 76th-minute substitute, signalled his rehabilitation with a crucial contribution to his team's desperate cause. It was Johnson's first goal in any competition for 17 months, his first in the Premier League since March 2009 and the elation engulfed him.

"That goal will do him the world of good," said Fulham manager Mark Hughes. "It was important he got off the mark and now I'm convinced he'll start scoring regularly."

If Johnson's goal spoiled the day for Hugo Rodallega – Wigan's scorer and inspiration – it was no more than Fulham's retaliation deserved.

Clint Dempsey thought he had drawn the Cottagers level but a linesman indicated handball and the goal was chalked off. Hughes added: "A couple of decisions went against us and we could have been disappointed, but we stuck at it and got something from it."

His opposite number, Roberto Martinez, admitted: "When you concede so late it leaves a bad taste. We had the chance to kill the game. I couldn't see us losing the clean sheet and it took a deflected shot."

The lively Rodallega went for early glory with an effort slashed wide and headed against a post from Ronnie Stam's cross.

Those missed opportunities didn't seem so bad after Damien Duff's howler. He found himself in the clear yet failed to beat keeper Ali Al Habsi.

Rodallega was frustrated to hook another half chance into the arms of David Stockdale.

But his persistence paid off when he ran beyond Fulham's defence to collect Al Habsi's long clearance and calmly lift the ball over the exposed keeper. Fulham responded with a restored sense of purpose and Al Habsi had to react smartly to save from Clint Dempsey's stab.

Rodallega might have put the issue beyond doubt as he met Charles N'Zogbia's cross but this time he couldn't direct the ball on target.

Hughes sent on Johnson and the striker would have delivered an instant equaliser but for Al Habsi's anticipation.

Dempsey did find the Wigan net yet although the referee initially waved away appeals for handball, a linesman persuaded him otherwise.

But the resourceful Dempsey finally provided the service required – to a gleeful Johnson.

The striker's shot took a deflection off Gary Caldwell and Al Habsi got a hand to it – but the momentum was enough to bring relief for a long-suffering player and his team.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Wigan-1-1-Fulham-Sunday-Mirror-match-report-Andy-Johnson-ends-17-month-wait-for-a-Premier-League-goal-article674183.html#ixzz1BBIeJE7S

Tom

Quote from: White Noise on January 16, 2011, 07:29:49 AM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1347533/Kenny-Dalglish-Millionaire-stars-forever-grateful-61-heroes.html?ITO=1490

Millionaire stars should be forever grateful to '61 heroes

Last updated at 12:16 AM on 16th January 2011

Every well-paid Premier League player in action this weekend should be eternally grateful to the likes of Jimmy Hill, who 50 years ago this week fought so hard to end the £20-a-week maximum wage.

Without sounding militant, people like Jimmy - and the ex-England striker George Eastham, who went on strike at Newcastle United to pave the way for the transfer rights we all take for granted these days - put their careers on the line and generations of players, myself included, have benefited ever since.

World's apart: Jimmy Hill and Steven Gerrard

It is hard to imagine now what the situation was like before January 1961, when there were huge attendances to watch matches but players only received a fraction of what was coming through the door.

There has been an ever-increasing spiral in wages since then and you can only call today's level of pay astronomical. But it's important to remember the original dispute was over a matter of principle, the right to negotiate a contract, not figures.

I don't think there is a problem today for the great players to be paid a fortune, because of what they can do on the pitch and the commercial income they bring in off the pitch. I don't think the majority of fans would begrudge them that.

But where football is suffering at the moment is that the best players are so well-paid, it leads to the middle-of-the-road players - for want of a better description - getting a lot more than what they are entitled to. It is claimed that players' wages have led to financial instability in football, but surely the problems only arise if clubs don't act responsibly and agree to pay wages they can't afford.

Players don't earn money that has not been offered to them. The Premier League has been fantastically successful in recent years, including financially, and I don't think it is unreasonable for players to share in it. But if a club do their financial planning properly and work out that signing a player doesn't make sense, they have to be prepared to lose that player.

Money gets the blame for creating a gap between the modern football star and the man in the street, but I don't think that is the only reason. Footballers are public figures now and that can be difficult in an era with all sorts of modern technology to record your every move.

Players are entitled to enjoy themselves like anyone else, but whereas fans used to ask for autographs, now they are able to take pictures with their camera phones and those shots can go around the world. It creates caution in footballers and I'd suggest that as much as money is the reason for the lack of affinity between ordinary people and players. There is no excuse for bad behaviour, of course not, but it honestly can't be easy if you think an ordinary night out is going to end up being pictured and displayed to everyone.

I think more players are aware of the fight to end the maximum wage than you'd think. The Professional Footballers' Association - of whom Hill became chairman when still a Fulham player in 1957 - still plays a big part in the game, it is just that a lot of their work is unsung.

Rich pickings: Manchester City owner Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan (left)

It's as much to do with helping players who have retired through injury or played in the lower leagues as it is with superstar millionaires. Personally, I wouldn't like to see the reintroduction of a maximum wage - or even a salary cap - despite some clubs getting into financial difficulty in recent years.

Why go back 50 years when the boys fought so hard back then? If clubs cannot afford a certain wage, then don't offer it. And if someone like Sheikh Mansour comes in and wants to invest heavily in a football club, as he has at Manchester City, let him get on with it.

I even have a feeling that when the proposed new UEFA regulations come in so you can only spend a certain ratio of your income on wages, clubs will find ways around it. I'd also like to reassure supporters that despite the financial rewards, no player starts out in football for money rather than enjoyment.

Is a six-year-old kid thinking about becoming a millionaire when he kicks a ball about? I don't think so, but if he ends up entertaining millions of fans and making a club millions of pounds, why shouldn't he deserve to be rewarded.

Maybe some parents nowadays think early on their kids will be able to make a fantastic living for the whole family from the game, but that doesn't mean it happens. Usually, the harder you push kids towards something, the more they rebel.

The only way to put in the time and dedication to be a professional player is for the first motivation to be a love of the sport, not financial, and that is still true today. I was only a kid back in 1961 when these momentous events were happening and too young to realise what was going on. I was too busy kicking a ball about myself!

My first salary with Celtic didn't get near the £20 mark, more like £6, but a career in the game has taught me the debt of gratitude we owe to those who fought so hard 50 years ago.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1347533/Kenny-Dalglish-Millionaire-stars-forever-grateful-61-heroes.html#ixzz1BBH4Kx00
Is Jimmy Hill at all related to Benny Hill?
Fulham for life!

WhiteJC

http://www.wiganer.net/feat/ed62/fulham_reaction_negative_latics_pay_the_price_620979/index.shtml

Fulham Reaction: Negative Latics pay the price

It was a very cautious display from the Latics who failed to commit men forwards. After sneaking a lead through Hugo Rodallega the Latics paid the price for trying to sit on a one goal lead.

There was a distinct failure for the duration of the game to commit numbers forwards as the Latics instead relied on the presence of Charles N'Zogbia and Hugo Rodallega to try and nick a goal.

The latter's finish mid-way through the second half was certainly a special goal, but it wasn't what the Latics deserved. Roberto Martinez' side had a number of players who were guilty of lacking the desire that it needs at the wrong end of the table.

Momo Diame, Ben Watson and Rodallega himself all seemed to be a happy second to every ball on the pitch.

Dixon Etuhu and Danny Murphy had the freedom of midfield for the Cottagers, despite the three central Wigan midfielders that should have been dominated that area of the field. It was a good job Hendry Thomas felt full of running as ever.

The sooner Tom Cleverley, James McCarthy, and Victor Moses make returns to the Latics side the better as they will add the required weight to the attack.

At the back, the same defensive frailties exist. Despite Ali Al Habsi's heroics in goal, the Wigan defence was often split by a simple straight ball through.

There were some very big problems on the field today and Fulham were nothing special. These are the games where the Latics need three points to pull away from the relegation zone.

With Arsenal, Manchester United, and Manchester City to play in the next four games, it could be a a difficult period for the Latics who may well rue the lack of desire on display against Hughes' men.

Here is the reaction of those involved.

Roberto Martinez

It was very disappointing feeling the way you end the game. Obviously the first half, we couldn't be ourselves for many reasons, the pitch conditions and the way that Fulham worked hard to stop us from playing.

We allowed ourselves to get a little bit frustrated and the crowd got frustrated but we created probably the best chance of the game, hitting the post in the first half.

But then in the second half we started with a clear and positive attitude and we slowly were growing into the game and then we did the hardest thing in football which is scoring the first goal from open play and it was a fantastic finish.

Then you think from then on we'll be able to finish the game on the winning side.  We had a key moment, a second opportunity where we could have killed the game and even then we had to be beaten by a deflected shot, a very unfortunate action and that's really disappointing.

We corrected a few things, I felt that we could have been a bit braver on the ball. You can understand why the fans got frustrated, the frustration of the fans got into our play.  We want to play an expansive game that dictates the game, but we need to have that support.

It's all too easy not to want the ball and just allow the bounce of the ball to go to whatever team, but we want to control the ball and I felt the second half we showed that bravery, we were really focussed on what we were doing and scoring that first goal, which was a fantastic finish, in my eyes it was deserving of the three points.

It's just unfortunate that we couldn't get that bit of luck that you need sometimes, but in terms of effort and the desire we showed in the second half it was very pleasing.

Fulham put a lot of pressure on us, they left themselves a little bit open at the back and we used that.  A little bit of luck and you can get that second goal and kill the game.  Fulham are in a position where they need to get a goal and they're throwing bodies forward and we needed to keep our concentration.

The goal comes from a sloppy play from us and we give the ball away too cheaply and then we end up defending in the other third and we get unfortunate with a deflection

Mark Hughes

We found ourselves in a situation where we were one down in a game that we controlled. We were looking to make a change just prior to them scoring, we obviously had to up our game and ask more questions of Wigan.

They were one nil to the good, they made it difficult for us and had a lot of people behind the ball. They always had a lot of threats on the break with the likes of N'Zogbia and Rodallega.

I thought the players showed real courage, a couple of key decisions went against us but they kept going and got their reward.

I'm really pleased for Andy Johnson, he's come back from a really significant injury, he gets his goal now and that's him off and running.

We're pleased for him and we welcome back Mousa Dembele, who we've missed this season, he's played less than half of the games we've been involved in. He had a real impact when he was introduced, so things are starting to look better.

I think a few weeks back we would have struggled to get something out of that game, I think it illustrates the qualities that the Team is showing at the moment.

You see in general play that we are a good side, we lacked a cutting edge but there are reasons for that. But we look in better shape now and we're really looking forward to the second part of the season, we're looking to take something from every game were involved in.

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/fulham-boss-hughes-lifted-zamora-senderos-recovery-1387891?

Fulham boss Hughes lifted by Zamora, Senderos recovery

Fulham boss Mark Hughes has received a new fitness boost.

Cottagers striker Bobby Zamora and defender Philippe Senderos are on course to make first-team returns next month.

Zamora suffered a broken leg and ankle ligament damage against Wolves back in September.

Senderos has yet to play for his new club following his summer move from Arsenal after he ruptured an Achilles tendon in August.

He said: "Bobby is looking good. And Philippe is out with his boots on which he has not been able to do. There are still a number of weeks before they will be back for selection, but they are on track."

WhiteJC

http://articles.squarefootball.net/squarefootball/2011/01/birmingham-fulham-west-ham-or-newcastle-where-will-robbie-keane-end-up.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Squarefootball+%28Squarefootball%29

Birmingham, Fulham, West Ham or Newcastle: Where will Robbie Keane end up?

On Friday night it was reported that Tottenham Hotspur and Birmingham City had agreed a fee for out-of-favour striker Robbie Keane. The price tag is thought to be about £6 million and all the Irish marksman has to do is agree personal terms. However, the former Wolves and Inter Milan star is a man in demand and has a few other options up his sleeves.

West Ham United, who are waiting for Martin O'Neill to take over from Avram Grant, and Fulham are both reportedly in the chase for Keane's signature and even Newcastle United are in with a shout of landing the hitman. So where will Keane be playing his football come February?

Robbie Keane has been a great servant to Spurs and was a huge hit with the fans. His creativity, enthusiasm, leadership and love for the game made it easy for the fans to worship him. Then he shocked the football world by moving to his boyhood club Liverpool for about £20 million in 2008. However, his dream move turned out to be a nightmare and six months later returned home to White Hart Lane with his tail between his legs, but he hasn't been the same player since.

Since joining the club from Leeds United in 2002, Keane has scored 92 times in the Premier League, but after rejoining the club from Liverpool he has fallen down the pecking order at Spurs and is yet to register a goal this season in the top flight.  Keane still has a passion for the game and, at 29, has plenty to offer. But this is a crucial decision in his career.  He's left before and failed to make an impression – mainly because he was a pawn in Rafael Benitez's politics at Anfield – so he needs to ask himself where his best chance of success will be.

Will it be at Birmingham?

The biggest problem Birmingham have faced since returning to the Premier League is goals. They are the top flight's second lowest scorers and have scored just nine in front of their home fans this season (before the Birmingham derby). They are crying out for someone who can put the ball in the back of the net and Keane certainly fits the bill. The Blues create chances and with the creativity of Hleb and the height of Zigic, not to mention the recent addition of David Bentley, Keane could transform their season. He's also played at Coventry and Wolves so he knows the Midlands well and Birmingham of course has a huge Irish contingent. Unfortunately, some reports claim that Keane is unwilling to leave the capital again so watch this space.

So will he end up at West Ham?

The Hammers have been in the bottom three for the majority of the season and it's widely believed that Avram Grant faces the chop within days. Martin O'Neill is expected to replace the former Chelsea manager in the dugout at Upton Park and his presence could be enough to lure Keane to the East End. West Ham have a plethora of strikers on their books but injuries, suspensions and a lack of form have affected them badly. The arrival of Keane, and his bubbly personality, could be the spark the Hammers need to lift them out of the drop zone. However, is Keane prepared to join them and risk playing in the Championship next season?

What about Fulham then?

Mark Hughes missed out on the chance of teaming up with Roque Santa Cruz again and has been public with his admiration for Keane. Fulham are dicing with death near the foot of the table and with star striker Bobby Zamora still missing through injury Keane could well shoot the Cottagers up the table. With fellow countryman Damian Duff on the right and the creativity of Clint Dempsey alongside him, Fulham and Keane could well be a marriage made in heaven.

Then there's Newcastle United.

Harry Redknapp is reportedly a huge fan of Newcastle striker Andy Carroll and Keane could well feature in a swap deal for the future England number nine. Alan Pardew will not want Carroll to leave St James' Park but if he did the former West Ham chief would want somebody in to replace him. Keane may not have age on his side, like Carroll, but he knows where the goals are and would be a huge hit on Tyneside if he rediscovered his scoring boots.

Birmingham City are currently in the driving seat but with Fulham, West Ham and Newcastle still in the mix, Keane has one massive decision to make. If I were in his boots I'd be tempted to stay in the capital and take on the challenge of transforming West Ham's fortunes. But who do you think Keane should sign for? Whatever your view I'd love to hear from you.

BalDrick

"I feel we have good players coming back and have enough ability in the squad to get into the top 10."

Do I spot the first signs that we're in fact not going to sign anyone?
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

White Noise

Quote from: BalDrick on January 16, 2011, 11:06:56 AM

Agreed. His statement doesn't really add anything to what he has said previously so it begs the question why say it again now. Hope he is just hedging his bets because we are in sensitive negotiations competing for some top players!!! :022:

White Noise

Suarez paves the way for Anfield switch as Babel nears the exit door

Published 23:00 15/01/11

By Simon Mullock

(9)Recommend (15)

Luis Suarez, the £20million-rated Ajax striker, has paved the way for a move to Liverpool.

Anfield boss Kenny ­Dalglish is meeting owner John W Henry over the weekend to finalise plans for the final fortnight of the transfer ­window.

And the scene is set for the Uruguay international to ­arrive as Ryan Babel heads out of Merseyside with clubs in England and Germany ­pursuing him.

Suarez shares the same agent as Fernando Torres and has asked him to find out if clubs are interested in ­signing him this month.

Liverpool and Tottenham lead the chase, but the ­Spanish-speaking connection at ­Anfield could prove a ­critical attraction.

Suarez is the kind of busy, ­skillful player who ­creates openings for team-mates, which Torres will welcome, as well as scoring goals ­himself.

He formed a formidable partnership at last summer's World Cup with Diego Forlan that took Uruguay through to the semi-finals.

The striker is at Ajax's winter training camp in Turkey. He has had a meeting with coach Frank de Boer and they accept the moment has arrived for the South ­American to move on if the Amsterdam club get an acceptable offer.

De Boer explained: "I've had a showdown with Luis.

"I wanted to know what his plans are and what the future will bring. Luis is training hard. He told me that if a big club comes in for him now he is ready to talk to them."

And De Boer admitted: "I've a back-up scenario ready."

Clearly, the critical issue will revolve around how much the Anfield owners make available to Dalglish, but Babel looks certain to leave for around £8m.

Fulham and West Ham from the Premier League have declared their interest.

But sources in Germany believe the Holland star is set to move to the Bundesliga and accept a £65,000 a-week deal with Hoffenheim, who are owned by software m­illionaire Dietmar Hopp.

Schalke also want Babel, but won't be able to match Hoffenheim's personal terms.

Certainly Babel, who is facing an FA disrepute ­enquiry for posting a twitter of referee Howard Webb wearing a Manchester ­United shirt, has decided he's spending too long on the Liverpool subs' bench.

But as Dalglish attempts to rebuild the flagging squad he inherited, the key ­January signing will be Suarez.

Earlier this season, Suarez – who conceded a last gasp penalty in the World Cup quarter-final that denied Ghana glory – revealed: "If I move I want to join a real football club where they play good, attacking ­football.

"I will decline any offer from clubs like Shakhtar Donetsk or Saint ­Petersburg where they offer you sacks full of money.'

"I've an ­obsession to win ­trophies.

"I am a South American with the mentality to win.

"This is why I was not ashamed to put my hand up on the goal-line in the World Cup.

"They called it the hand of the devil, but I really don't care."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Luis-Suarez-paves-the-way-for-Liverpool-move-as-Ryan-Babel-nears-the-exit-door-article674105.html#ixzz1BCMfJ8T8

TonyGilroy

Quote from: White Noise on January 16, 2011, 11:47:52 AM
Quote from: BalDrick on January 16, 2011, 11:06:56 AM

Agreed. His statement doesn't really add anything to what he has said previously so it begs the question why say it again now. Hope he is just hedging his bets because we are in sensitive negotiations competing for some top players!!! :022:

These statements aren't vounteered they're in response to questions asked when Hughes would probably prefer to say nothing. All our transfer dealings are conducted secretely. I simply discount these sort of comments from Hughes.

b+w geezer

Quote from: TonyGilroy on January 16, 2011, 12:03:17 PM

These statements aren't vounteered they're in response to questions asked when Hughes would probably prefer to say nothing..... I simply discount these sort of comments from Hughes.
I agree. However, it's notable that all his statements, volunteered or otherwise, invariably have a positive slant to them. Chances are that he sometimes really means it and is sometimes putting it on, but he never provides clues about that. So long as there's objective thinking going on behind the scenes really, then I like that in a manager.

White Noise

http://www.cockneylatic.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=884%3Awigan-athletic-1-fulham-1&catid=62%3A2010-2011&Itemid=55

Wigan Athletic 1 Fulham 1

Written by Jason Taylor

Saturday, 15 January 2011 19:32

Yet another draw for Wigan Athletic as they concede a very late deflected goal, after Hugo Rodallega's strike looked for a long time to be the goal that would give us all three points.

Anthony Taylor, the referee, needs his own article to describe how bad he was, booking seven players in a match that only saw one bad tackle worthy of a yellow.

Maynor Figueroa's mistimed tackle and Andrew Johnson going into the crowd was the only ones the ref got right, yet he missed legitimate contenders with (Fulham) players going into the crowd and diving.

The first half was a hard one for Latics to get into, they were crowded out of everything and though we kept good possession at the back, we found it very hard to get the moving forward. Ben Watson and Hendry Thomas were especially isolated and having a really bad day.

That's not to say we didn't have opportunities, we did. Rodallega was making himself busy and had a low effort just go past the upright in the tenth minute, fifteen minutes later he really should have scored.

Ben Watson swung in the corner and got it over the first defender and saw Hugo swaning up to head the ball at goal, unluckily it came back off the post and a desperate block on Charles N'Zogbia shot saw the danger off for Fulham.

As the half wore on both teams were camped in midfield, but on the positive side for Latics we were coping with anything that Fulham had, especially as our visitors had dominated proceedings.

The second half saw us up the tempo slightly and we started to get a bit more joy, Hugo again was the one causing the trouble and after having a shot finely saved by the Cottager's keeper he did make the breakthrough.

Hugo picked up the ball on the edge of the area and calmly lobbed his shot over the Fulham stopper into the goal. Charley and Hugo were getting a bit more ball no and both had efforts saved, but Fulham were starting to throw cation to the wind now and had a goal disallowed for offside.

Clint Dempsey decided to put the ball in the net anyway, but no yellow. They had a goal chalked off for handball; three players went over to berate the assistant referee, no yellow cards. Yet Di Santo spoke whilst running back to his own half and got booked.

Clint Dempsey twice swan dives in the area to try and con the referee into a penalty, luckily the official is not fooled, but neither received a yellow card. Andrew Johnson did get that large slice of luck his team needed though with a couple of minutes to go as his scuffed shot is deflected over the again impressive Ali Al Habsi and it makes the score 1-1.

No doubt Mark Hughes will think it was deserved, but it was a hard way to end up drawing. We now have to look forward to Arsenal before getting ourselves up for another crunch home game, this time Aston Villa will be the victims.

Cockney Latic Man of the Match: Hugo Rodallega

White Noise

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/01/16/SOCCER_Wigan_Nightlead.html

HUGHES PLEASED WITH FULHAM PROGRESS

Mark Hughes feels Fulham are shaping up well for the rest of the season.

The Cottagers slipped into the Barclays Premier League relegation zone on Boxing Day following a home defeat against West Ham, but since then they have hauled themselves out of the mire with four fixtures yielding seven points.

The latest of those was secured with a 1-1 draw at Wigan on Saturday, Andrew Johnson's deflected strike towards the end cancelling out Hugo Rodallega's opener.

Johnson is one of several Fulham players to have been sidelined by injury this term, but Hughes' squad is finally approaching a clean bill of health and has also been boosted in the past few days by the arrival of new signing Steve Sidwell.

The manager believes a top-10 finish is a realistic target, with the performance at the DW Stadium giving him further encouragement that things are starting to come together.

"We feel very confident - we have good players coming back and we have added to the squad as well," Hughes said.

"The likes of Bobby Zamora and Philippe Senderos will be options hopefully very soon, so we are going to be stronger in the second half of the season.

"Our away form is good at the moment and we are not conceding that many goals.

"We are disappointed with the manner of the goal we conceded (against Wigan) in fairness, because that is unlike us away from home.

"I think it's only Manchester City who have conceded less than us away from home, so we are doing good defensive work, which we will need on our travels.

"Probably what has hampered us a little bit this year is that our home form has been indifferent and we haven't had the ability to get maximum points from as many home games as we would like.

"But generally, I'm pleased with what we are producing. We look strong and determined and the team is starting to show signs of what I am looking for."

Wigan went ahead in the 57th minute when Rodallega latched on to a long ball from his goalkeeper Ali Al Habsi and neatly guided it over Fulham stopper David Stockdale.

Substitute Johnson drew things level with four minutes of normal time remaining with a shot that hit Gary Caldwell on its way towards goal, leaving Al Habsi unable to stop it going in.

The Oman international, who is on loan from Bolton, managed to get a glove to the effort and was unlucky to be beaten at the end of an impressive display which drew praise from Latics boss Roberto Martinez.

"If you have seen Ali, he has been like this since he arrived," Martinez said.

"He is a really focused player and he has been improving. He is a real asset for ourselves.

"Fulham had a great opportunity in the first half, a one-on-one situation with Damien Duff, and Ali covered the angle really well.

"That is why I couldn't see us losing that clean sheet - it had to be a deflected shot and even then, I thought he was in a great position, getting a hand on that ball. But unfortunately it bounced in."