watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Unbelievable!

Started by Chrisjo, May 24, 2023, 05:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filham

I watched a TV programme where Merson did a long lone walk in Yorkshire and just spent half an hour talking to the camera about himself and his earlier problems, he really was in need of help but now seems a balanced person.

Any other footballer with similar issues should get help at an early stage from their club, I would expect Brentford to have addressed the matter by now.

alfie

Of course there is the possibility that he is not an addict, he may just like having a flutter likes millions of others.

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Twig

Quote from: filham on May 25, 2023, 09:57:09 AMI watched a TV programme where Merson did a long lone walk in Yorkshire and just spent half an hour talking to the camera about himself and his earlier problems, he really was in need of help but now seems a balanced person.

Any other footballer with similar issues should get help at an early stage from their club, I would expect Brentford to have addressed the matter by now.

I watched that and it was fascinating. The psychological effects of gambling addiction; low self esteem, suicidal tendencies etc. all very raw. It strongly illustrated the need for support and counselling.

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: alfie on May 25, 2023, 10:29:10 AMOf course there is the possibility that he is not an addict, he may just like having a flutter likes millions of others.

Yes. I wouldn't say that a bet a day is exactly addiction territory.

Andy S

The first thing you have to do is admit you have a problem. The second thing is to genuinely want to do something about it. Then you get help. It's not up to others to help unless it is asked for.

RaySmith

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on May 25, 2023, 12:26:40 PM
Quote from: alfie on May 25, 2023, 10:29:10 AMOf course there is the possibility that he is not an addict, he may just like having a flutter likes millions of others.

Yes. I wouldn't say that a bet a day is exactly addiction territory.

But he must have known he was putting his career at risk - for what? he doesn't need the money.
Unlike 60's Sheff Wed, England stars , Peter Swan and Tony Kay, who went to prison and were banned for becoming involved with a match fixing syndicate, at a time when players were waged capped to a basic skilled man's wage.

Doesn't seem on the level of Merson though, who obviously had serious underlying problems of self -esteem, etc. But is it right to rank such things?

Actually, recently listening to an interview with Lee Dixon, talking of Tony Adams.
He said the famous 'Tuesday Night' club, team bonding session, was just a few drinks once a month, but Adams would carry on drinking, go missing,  and appear at training a couple of days later still drunk.
He'd even be drunk for games, and the rest of the back 4 would carry him, but, Dixon said, 'the so and so always got MoM!'

Somerset Fulham

Maybe things were different when he was playing for Peterborough, I don't know but it is still a stupid thing to do whatever way one looks at it. 

The reason I said that it probably isn't addiction support he needs is because it appears that he didn't bet very much on a daily basis (I don't know this for sure, he may also have been gambling on other things which will of course mean that addiction support is rightly correct), I think the guy will need support because of the length and severity of the ban* which has got to hit a sportsperson hard.

As an aside, I used to live in Witham, Essex for a bit and Tony Adams used the Jack & Jenny as his bolthole when he would go on those benders. He wouldn't leave there for days.

* I am not suggesting the ban itself is overly severe but its going to feel like a lifetime for the guy.

hovewhite

my attitude exactly fuss about nothing.

Ludlow Richard

Quote from: hovewhite on May 27, 2023, 05:57:16 AM

my attitude exactly fuss about nothing.

Read the FA Commission report. Toney has a gambling addiction which is why he only got an 8 month ban, otherwise it would have been higher. His bank statements reveal significant non-football gambling. His betting generally is described as prolific. It is also clear from the report that he gave false and misleading information to the initial FA investigation. He doesn't just enjoy a "flutter like millions of others", nor is this a "fuss about nothing". He is a gambling addict who sought to cover the scale of his addiction.