watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The Athletic

Started by Friendsoffulham, June 19, 2023, 01:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friendsoffulham

They are behind a paywall, and have threatened us a couple of times with action, if their articles are posted on this Forum, in full.

Apologies is you've had any posts pulled, however, if you are a paid member of the Athletic, please just post the link, then it's up to people if they want to sign up, or not.

Sorry about that, however, they're just another outlet that are more interested in making money from the fanbase, than sharing their content.

love4ffc

Welp, guess I won't be reading any of their crap.   
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

SG

Cancelled my subscription- wasn't worth it and nothing that original in it

Andy S

It just annoys you because they must get their so called facts from let's say unapproved places in the first instance. It's a case of rattle the cage and see what falls out. Not good journalism in my opinion

Huxley

To give more balance to the comments .. For £12 for 12 month on special, sometimes  even £6 for a year, this is are great value for good journalism. Of course when people post the full article on a Fulham story the value of this subscription is demisnished. Most of the articles are not rehashed bs. There was or is a dedicated journalist who actually posts behind the scenes or "scoops" but these are fact checked mostly. No other news actually follows Fulham, only the big 6.

Somerset Fulham

Does that count for links to their articles that are available on archive websites?  That can't be wrong if they are readily available for free, can it?

I am surprised that The Athletic can be so petty about this to be honest.

SG

Quote from: Huxley on June 19, 2023, 07:56:42 AMTo give more balance to the comments .. For £12 for 12 month on special, sometimes  even £6 for a year, this is are great value for good journalism. Of course when people post the full article on a Fulham story the value of this subscription is demisnished. Most of the articles are not rehashed bs. There was or is a dedicated journalist who actually posts behind the scenes or "scoops" but these are fact checked mostly. No other news actually follows Fulham, only the big 6.

But it's not £12 on renewal after they've sucked you in as I found out. And the Fulham features that I thought would be unique turned out not to be much of the time which is why I cancelled.

Free Elvis Hammond

Quote from: Andy S on June 19, 2023, 06:50:30 AMIt just annoys you because they must get their so called facts from let's say unapproved places in the first instance. It's a case of rattle the cage and see what falls out. Not good journalism in my opinion

I don't agree with this at all to be honest, their news reporting is excellent - the problem is, football news has such mass appeal that the same info is available free somewhere else almost immediately

The features writing can be a bit tedious though I think, and there's very little Fulham coverage

HamsterWheel

What a bunch of skinflints! I pay my £1 a month and think its very good value for some very good reporting by a lot of good journalists. I cancel when its about to go up and so far they've always offered me another £1 a month deal. Why should you lot read it for free when I pay? Spongers!!!!!

Huxley

Quote from: SG on June 19, 2023, 11:33:53 AM
Quote from: Huxley on June 19, 2023, 07:56:42 AMTo give more balance to the comments .. For £12 for 12 month on special, sometimes  even £6 for a year, this is are great value for good journalism. Of course when people post the full article on a Fulham story the value of this subscription is demisnished. Most of the articles are not rehashed bs. There was or is a dedicated journalist who actually posts behind the scenes or "scoops" but these are fact checked mostly. No other news actually follows Fulham, only the big 6.

But it's not £12 on renewal after they've sucked you in as I found out. And the Fulham features that I thought would be unique turned out not to be much of the time which is why I cancelled.

You leave, wait 2 weeks and voila... Magically you have an offer. Ignore it for 2 weeks more and it's £1 a week. Make sure you CANCEL resubscription or you will be charged a  £8 a month list price or whatever it is.

Huxley

Quote from: Somerset Fulham on June 19, 2023, 10:49:10 AMDoes that count for links to their articles that are available on archive websites?  That can't be wrong if they are readily available for free, can it?

The copyright belongs to the Athletic. I doubt they sanction archived websites.

The Athletic is not a charity.  They are a business whose contractors and workers have families with  bills to pay and mortgages.

Jules

Quote from: SG on June 19, 2023, 06:26:46 AMCancelled my subscription- wasn't worth it and nothing that original in it
Agree, and me too. Its rubbish despite only £18 quid I paid for the year. Particularly annoyed that Peter Rutzler deserted us to cover PSG.

Somerset Fulham

Quote from: Huxley on June 19, 2023, 03:34:40 PM
Quote from: Somerset Fulham on June 19, 2023, 10:49:10 AMDoes that count for links to their articles that are available on archive websites?  That can't be wrong if they are readily available for free, can it?

The copyright belongs to the Athletic. I doubt they sanction archived websites.

The Athletic is not a charity.  They are a business whose contractors and workers have families with  bills to pay and mortgages.
Pretty much every webpage is archived, its not up to them.

Mickeyboro

I left. The fact Rutzler was moved on to PSG confirms my decision. Unless there's an ear at the dressing room/boardroom door what can they tell you? A lot of non essential articles on Fulham just got tedious...

simplyfulham

Quote from: Jules on June 19, 2023, 03:52:51 PM
Quote from: SG on June 19, 2023, 06:26:46 AMCancelled my subscription- wasn't worth it and nothing that original in it
Agree, and me too. Its rubbish despite only £18 quid I paid for the year. Particularly annoyed that Peter Rutzler deserted us to cover PSG.

One of the key problems is their main selling point.

A service that covers things exclusively for Fulham means they are also likely to post articles pandering to Fulham readers.

I found they had lots of content about Fulham but precious little of it was particularly in depth. Felt like lip service mainly. Not sure it was 'good' journalism.

Woolly Mammoth

I would never pay to read Crap reporting, gossip, rumours, opinions or trash talk.
If want to read that sort of cobblers i can read my own free of charge.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.