watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A First Timer American Expat

Started by Allprocro, May 29, 2023, 02:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allprocro

This will be long and a bit of a diary post. The TL;DR--It's been a fantastic first year here, and a big part is being a club fan, it would be great to make more Fulham matchday friends and happy to meet up with anyone next season.

As the title suggests, I moved from the US to London summer of last year. I have always been a sports fan, and figured why not follow football. With no shortage of clubs to choose from in London I spent time thinking about who to support. My only interaction with football of any kind let alone English football was teasing my cousin's husband who grew up in Fulham about his team that seemed to have a tough go of things from my American perspective. However, it was a connection, however weak, so Fulham it was. I did my research, which included such elementary parts of the game like a keeper can't pick up a ball passed back to him. I think that statement alone probably tells you how green I was (still am) to this sport. As the season started my aspirations for the team were--if we stay up that is great, obviously the goal, but a stretch goal would be top half.

We have to stop here to talk about my first ever English football game, our hosting of Newcastle... The story is not complete without mentioning it, but that is all I am going to say... Moving on...

I got to see three games at the Cottages this year, and while we went 1-2 in those games, had much fun. I moved around the stadium, including sitting in the Hammersmith stands up top standing, as well as the new stands which I have to stay are impressive looking and I'm happy to see the team make an investment. I had great interactions with the home fans and ya know mostly fine interaction with away fans (my interaction with away fans was mostly people wondering why the hell an American with free reign to choose a team, picked Fulham). Well turns out we finished pretty well this year compared to what most people thought.

It's been an exhilarating year for every Fulham fan I'm sure, and I probably experience 10% of what most fans experience. Feeling the downs always makes the highs more worth it, and I am coming in on a high. But for me following Fulham has been great in other ways. I'm a quiet person, and at work struggled to relate to coworkers. However, once I started talking football it came more easy. I will say though my vocabulary has been under constant pressure. You say "link up" or "bring in" not "facilitate", no one uses the term "horseshoe of death" and no one in a pub says "attacking third" but the teasing was in good fun and helped me relate to my coworkers.

A special thanks to every fan I've met along the way, many at the Crabtree, many around Hammersmith, and many more in the future. I was lucky enough after my American taxes came back to me, to be able to afford a season ticket for next year, so would love to expand my Fulham fan network, and do plan on going to a couple away games next year.

Only thing left to say is COYWs!

PS-I had a friend from the US come to London who was insistent on going to a Chelsea game. What happened next was an incredible feeling of ecstasy as I watched Chelsea at SB blow a 1-0 lead to Brighton in April.

PPS--Horseshoe of death, since it is clear to me this is not a real football term, I thought was the term when you were in the attacking half and just passing around the outside of the box unable to find a cross or get a ball in.

ianthailand

Welcome and you picked the best club and the greatest sporting arena in the world so a good start. Just remember there is no position as outside back, it's a squad not a roster, it's football not the 's' word which is up there with the 'f and c' words. Probably plentyof others as you gain experience of the beautiful game. You picked a good season to start supporting FFC, perhaps you're the lucky charm! Enjoy your stay in England especially the weather. A bit of WD40 in the appropriate places will hold up the onset of rust as you battle the rain.