more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The View from South Texas -- Wigwam v. Fulham

Started by HatterDon, January 16, 2011, 10:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

Fulham Dominate a Match They Were Lucky to Get a Point From

How's that for the conundrum headline of the month? From where I sat it was pretty much true. We just topped Wigan in the first half in endeavor while looking the "team most likely," and then, after their goal, looked positively awesome for 35 or so minutes. We could have scored as many as three goals. They were lucky to score the one they got, yet they could have easily beaten us by two. It's a strange game, this.

About Wigan: they're pretty awful, aren't they? They have good intent, and they like to spray the ball around, but their defense is woeful and disjointed, and their attack can be helter-skelter. There are lots of talented individuals about, but not a lot of great team play. I like what Martinez is doing for them -- hell, after his part in covering the recent world cup here in the United States, I quite like Martinez and what he stands for. But there's going to have to be three pretty dismal collapses for he and his charges to still be in the top flight come August. With N'Zogbia NOT roaming the wings threatening to roast our fullbacks, the player who most caught the eye was Hugo Rodallega who came within two eyelashes of a hattrick. A good forward that, and a Hondruan found playing in the Mexican League -- two noted hotbeds of Premier League talent -- but I digress.

About Fulham: Well which was it? Around 56 minutes or so, we stopped sleepwalking and started creating -- we stopped moving about aimlessly and began to look dangerous. Was it our reaction to their opening goal, or was it the introduction of Moussa Dembele? Something to ponder, Pinky. By position

Mr. Stockdale gave me my first "Jesus, isn't that tournament in Arabia over yet" moment in the first half when he got both hands on a ball and then dropped it between two Wigan players. He got away with it. In the second half, however, after Rodallega beat Hughes for pace, instead of fronting the Wigan striker, he stepped back just far enough to be chipped, but nowhere near far enough to get to the ball. I have no earthly idea what he thought he was doing or why. but it was a criminally soft goal completely against the run of play, and it could have killed us. I would love to have eavedropped on the quiet word our captain had for him shortly after. He smartened up after those two mishaps, but the truth is that it could have been Wigan's and Rodallega's 2nd of 3 goals -- one hammered off the bottom of the post so fast that Stockdale couldn't even turn his head to see where it hit, and another chance hammered just over the top of the goal. The proof of the pudding with our young English keeper will be how he looks in his next outing. I believe he's been given a serious wake up call and very cheaply. Let's hope he learns from it and is a bit more decisive and strong in the future. If not, he's going to be eaten alive.

Gentleman Jim believes that the yellow earned by Paintsil may mean an automatic one-match for the Ghanaian. If so, he'll contribute only a little less in the next match than he did on Saturday. Because Wigan offered so little, he and his counterpart Baird spent most of their day attacking. I don't understand why Martinez took N'Zogbia off the wing, but I know both those players are glad he did. Hangeland and Hughes looked okay. I know that Hughes wound up trailing the goalscorer, but considering that the assist on their goal came from their goalkeeper, you have to forgive the Nironer. It was one of about only two Route 1 attacks all day, it it literally caught him flatfooted. Hangeland cause havoc in their penalty area, and I'm still unsure as to how he didn't come to score on the day.

The midfield was interesting. I don't care what anyone says, I cannot imagine a better central midfield pairing than Murphy and Etuhu. Both played brilliantly individually and in tandem. Once again, the best contributions of Davies and Duff were in covering for our adventurous fullbacks. Neither did a lot on attack, and it was to Fulham's everlasting sorrow that our two or three best chances for a goal fell to Duff, who seems unable to convert anything, including Euros to Sterling. I love the Duff Man, but I think his best days are behind him. I am hoping to see Mr. Right-Hyphenated on our wing as soon as possible, and Mr. Duff up the road to Blackburn with our thanks and admiration, not to mention a tidy pocketful of Rupees.

Remember all that good karma that Karmara banked against Peterborough? Well, he used it all up. He killed off so many of our early moves through his inability to stay onside, he pretty much killed off our attacking momentum single handed. Dempsey had a day for all those who claim that he falls down too much. From where I sat, he spent 90 minutes getting the crap kicked out of him, got up and kept on ticking. [Interesting STAT of the day:  Fouls committed: Wigan 23; Fulham 9] The Texan forced a very good save with his best chance, didn't tarry when Johnson whiffed on a cross and powered it into the goal. Well, he didn't tarry, but he did Thierry, and so it was disallowed. Okay, I'll take care of it myself.  :yellow: I just couldn't resist.

What constitutes the perfect substitution? Well for me, it's one that completely turns the match around. The introduction of Dembele for Dio could only be faulted in that it didn't happen a minute earlier. Fulham were transformed immediately. The big Belgian winger ran about as if the ball was taped to his foot, beat players with agility, pace, and movement, and made Fulham suddenly threatenening. I REALLY hope he's ready for 90 minutes -- and NOW. Our late president who has looked progressively better and better, also came in with a hunger. He ran the channels, the upset defenders, he created space, and he scored. He also had a goal celebration along the lines of what I sort of expected we might see someday from John Paintsil. I REALLY hope he's ready for 90 minutes as well. I'd like to see Dempsey and Johnson up front and Dembele on the wing in our next couple of matches.

And, so, we were lucky to get a point from a match we deserved to win. My man of the match award? I have two:

The first is the Fulham travelers. I don't believe I heard anything from the home supporters other than growns. By contrast, I heard a full range of singing and chanting from Fulham supporters. I was treated to a full-blooded discussion of our owner's nationalistic preferences, and our desire for him to take us home. I heard it made clear who we were. I also heard two objective assessments of the quality and likeability our two near neighbors in the process. I heard cheers for Bobby Z, and unbridled insanity when AJ scored. Good stuff, you guys. YOU earned us that point.

The second is for Gentleman Jim. Because the match kicked off at 0900 Saturday morning here in Gawd's Country,and wasn't going to be televised until 11 hours later, I decided to listen to my own personal Fulham Legend, and then watch later -- which i did around 2230 last night. So, I knew what was coming on television, but I also got the benefit of a classic broadcast from our man. GJ is like a guy you to stand next to on the terraces every other Saturday. Even though you never saw him anywhere else, it would only take two minutes to get your friendship back in synch. Before kickoff you'd discuss the previous weekend's away match, talk about the lineup in today's program, and discuss the injuries and the reserves and the youth squad. and then you'd assist him in kicking every ball, agonizing with every foul, and bemoaning every missed chance. He'd help you moan at the appaling nature of the opposing players, and then jump up and down with you like a pair of escaped lunatics when you scored. When Johnson scored, he went from broadcast-voice to hoarse babbling in about 12 seconds. That's GJ. That's what standing on the terraces used to be all about for me, and that's what the man brings back.  I swear, when I come to England in the fall to see Fulham play, more than any player on the side, that's the guy I want to meet and shake hands with.

That's my [very late] view. What do y'all think?

COYW 
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

YankeeJim

As usual, well written. I agree with most everything except your comments about our midfield. While Cap'tn Dan & Etuhu were their normal selves, they really aren't much of an attacking pair. Even given the poor quality of the defense they faced, there wasn't much of an attack up the middle. I suppose that could be because the only player we had who could hold up play was Stockdale.

I'm happy for AJ. Hopefully the goal will get him on a hot streak.

Where does Sidwell fit in? Can he play the wing?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

RidgeRider

Top notch and a wonderful read.

I actually though Duff had a better match than perhaps you did but everything else I couldn't agree more.

finnster01

Have to agree a lot with you Mr Hatter. My MOTM was unquestionably Gentleman Jim. Great report as always, but I think you gave Aaron Hughes too much of a 'Get out of jail' card than he deserved. Wasn't his best day in the office.  
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

ImperialWhite

Very good.

On the whole, it was probably quite a good match. It was away, so not winning shouldn't bother us too much.

Agree that Paintsil had a terrible game, as he did against the Baggies. Although you could argue that Hughes cost us our clean sheet today (although I agree, HatterDon, more the fault of Stockdale IMO), Paintsil arguably made more errors. Over the course of the last two games, it has only been Duff and the post that has meant that Paintsil's errors haven't cost anything. He's been so easily beaten this season!

Bairdhino right back, Salcido back at left back?
Baird left back, Kelly right back?
(corr, aint I fickle, poor JP!).

Scrumpy

A great report Hatter, and much appreciated. Better than any of the reports I read in the Sunday papers this morning.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

BalDrick

Top piece - thanks.

'Where does Sidwell fit in? Can he play the wing?'

Don't think he's another wide player, Hughes has called him a box-to-box player, whatever that means. My guess is Murph drops a bit deeper and Sid runs the length of the pitch several dozen times, and (the improving but the only way was up) Etuhu takes a breather, perhaps to come on for the last 10 when we're hanging on to a lead (you remember, when we've scored more goals than we've let in and the game's nearly over).
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Lighthouse

As usual your report lacks any understanding of the finer nuances of the game.

Talking of which I hope yours are healing nicely. Great read as per usual.

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

NogoodBoyo

Great one Hatter.  I was in Albany yesterday for a long, boring meeting, so I missed everything.  And, after a long discussion with two people at Comcast, the largest cable owner in the US of A, they apprently don't carry FSC Plus and I would need 3D glasses, a new box and a 3D enalbed TV to get ESPN3. 
But I thought your keyboard quipped hansome, mate.
Nogood "Gutted like a perch in Peterborough" Boyo

Steve_orino

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on January 17, 2011, 02:25:48 AM
Great one Hatter.  I was in Albany yesterday for a long, boring meeting, so I missed everything.

The boy & I went and watched live soccer (local high school tournament) so I looked for your report as soon as I came on to FoF.  Thanks Hatter.
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

Ag

First off, your title really nailed this match.  And good job explaining your appreciation for GJ.  I completely get it now.

Have to disagree on Murphy and Etuhu.  While they were good after the first goal, they were fairly poor in the first half.  When a team pressures us in the middle they either turn the ball over or pass it back and our backs give it away hoofing up the long ball and that's pretty much what happened for most of the first half.

Also think you missed it on Hangers and Hughes.  Hangeland was caught too far up the pitch (not sure what he was doing up there anyway) several times in the first half.  He was back to normal in the 2nd half.  Hughes not only got beaten to the ball on their goal, he played Rodallega onside as well.  He got turned around and fumbled with balls that came to him in the box a bit more than usual today.  Staying with the backs, I almost wonder if Baird isn't playing with too much confidence off of that Stoke match b/c he's trying to be a bit more adventurous shooting and passing and failing at it.

I'm actually a bit surprised we haven't seen more snafus from Stockdale to date given his age and experience level.  I'd say we're fortunate that he consolidated them to one game and we got away with a draw.  To be fair, on the goal, I'm not sold Schwarzer would have gotten a save there either given how eratic he's been about coming out of his box.

Good to see AJ bag a lucky one, hopefully that's what he needs to get "it" back.

All in all, it's a point on the road and that's usually a good day for Fulham.

TheDaddy

"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "