News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Is the reason we haven't signed a striker because..............................

Started by Rambling_Syd_Rumpo, January 16, 2011, 02:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

there isn't any decent ones about in our price range? and I mean by that under £15 mil?
I'm happy that the money we have isn't being wasted on panic buys.We all know that the Jan window in a nightmare and every player offered is way overpriced because if your buying a striker in the Jan window your desperate.We are not doing too bad players are coming back from injury every week now,so is it a good thing that we are being careful?

RidgeRider

Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on January 16, 2011, 02:13:45 PM
there isn't any decent ones about in our price range? and I mean by that under £15 mil?

That may just be the reason, either that or it's not the last day of the transfer window.

We do most of our business at the very end. I am expecting whatever we do will be done at the 11th hour like always.

finnster01

Quote from: RidgeRider on January 16, 2011, 02:17:03 PM

That may just be the reason, either that or it's not the last day of the transfer window.

We do most of our business at the very end. I am expecting whatever we do will be done at the 11th hour like always.
Unlike Honest 'arry who conducts most of his business after the window has closed  :drums:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Lighthouse

It will be a gamble either way but we know players are overpriced. We need a forward and to gamble that we can manage without one would be interesting. Who is to say the player we bring in will gel? However we DO need one. Not sure we can keep on drawing games we should be winning  and survive. A few bad results and Hughes will be out of a job. Whoever comes in will have the same problem.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

RidgeRider

Quote from: finnster01 on January 16, 2011, 02:19:39 PM
Quote from: RidgeRider on January 16, 2011, 02:17:03 PM

Unlike Honest 'arry who conducts most of his business after the window has closed  :drums:

:011:

On s serious note I would expect our target man, if there is such a thing in our plans, will be someone not in the Prem right now, probably from Europe.

finnster01

Mr Bilet and the other Norwegians, how about that striker that Celtic didn't want to pay 2 million quid for? I think his name is huseklepp, looks like a tall lad, scores goals for Norway ( scored a winner against Ireland I think) etc.

Other than that little annoying gnome of a mummies boy, we haven't done too bad with the Norwegians. Hangeland and Nevland was good, and Carew isn't too shabby still at Villa.

So what is your take on this guy? For 1.5-2 mill that can't be too much of a gamble given our current lot of midgets, can it? He's also only in his mid twenties I think
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

os5889

Most likely delusions of financial liquidity coupled with a desire to wait until finishing position prize money and a guarantee of premier league football before committing the wonga or increasing the wage bill  :033:

BalDrick

'It will be a gamble either way but we know players are overpriced.'

But overpriced is a matter of supply and demand isn't it? You wouldn't pay £20 for a bottle of water but you'd pay £20K for a bottle in the desert. By which I mean, say £6M seems high for a striker who's the wrong side of 30 and hasn't played a lot for his current club lately - but if we got him and his goals kept us up, he'd have been cheap at twice the price. Prices are high at this time because clubs are desperate.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

TonyGilroy

Quote from: BalDrick on January 16, 2011, 05:09:31 PM
'It will be a gamble either way but we know players are overpriced.'

But overpriced is a matter of supply and demand isn't it? You wouldn't pay £20 for a bottle of water but you'd pay £20K for a bottle in the desert. By which I mean, say £6M seems high for a striker who's the wrong side of 30 and hasn't played a lot for his current club lately - but if we got him and his goals kept us up, he'd have been cheap at twice the price. Prices are high at this time because clubs are desperate.

You'd try to see if anyone was selling water cheaper and would need some evidence that it was actually water in the bottle.

Bilet

Quote from: finnster01 on January 16, 2011, 02:34:55 PM
Mr Bilet and the other Norwegians, how about that striker that Celtic didn't want to pay 2 million quid for? I think his name is huseklepp, looks like a tall lad, scores goals for Norway ( scored a winner against Ireland I think) etc.

Other than that little annoying gnome of a mummies boy, we haven't done too bad with the Norwegians. Hangeland and Nevland was good, and Carew isn't too shabby still at Villa.

So what is your take on this guy? For 1.5-2 mill that can't be too much of a gamble given our current lot of midgets, can it? He's also only in his mid twenties I think

I am afraid he wouldn't cut it in the Premiership. To weak and largely wasteful in front of goal. He got some pace, but no. I just think he overall lack a bit of quality to cut it at Fulham. Would be a good fit in the scottish league, but to be honest the quality there is poorer for every year.

A player we should have signed was Mohammed Abdeollaoue. He is a younger Nevland, bit faster and got composure in front of goal. Scored again for Hannover today in the Bundesliga. Vålerenga sold him for around 1m. Would have been a bargain. Bit suprised no Premier League-clubs went for him. He's a real gent aswell. No moaning, just does his job.

I really don't think there are any norwegians playing in Norway at the time who be good enough to go straight into a Premiership team.

AlFayedsChequebook

I think there are plenty of decent forwards out there for under £15m.

We need to take a flier and go with some cheap imports. The overpriced players are the ones in the premier league (robbie kean).

Frankly, I am disappointed we have not had more people lined up. Hughes had 6 months to prepare for the window, we OBVIOUSLY need a striker and at the end of the day, his professional future relies on us doing ok.

TonyGilroy

Cheap imports will be a waste of money.

Most lower league and overseas players will need some time to acclimatise. If we want someone who will improve us NOW the pool is depressingly small and we're competing with other clubs. Some of the "names" are likely to be over the hill, unmotivated and stupidly expensive.

Some possible deals could be dependent on other deals. For example maybe we've lined up Tungay but that was reliant on Stoke signing the guy who failed his medical. Or Cole but only if West Ham get Keane. Or not until Grant's been replaced.

It's not easy.

It may well be best to hang on in the hope that we're strong enough and rebuild properly in the summer. We are definitely improving.

alfie

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on January 16, 2011, 06:26:34 PM

We need to take a flier and go with some cheap imports. The overpriced players are the ones in the premier league (robbie kean).

Frankly, I am disappointed we have not had more people lined up. Hughes had 6 months to prepare for the window, we OBVIOUSLY need a striker and at the end of the day, his professional future relies on us doing ok.

Like i said in another thread we have no idea what Hughes has been doing behind the scene, how do you know he has not had lots of people "lined up", lets face it 95% of what we know comes from the press, don't get on his back without knowing facts.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: TonyGilroy on January 16, 2011, 06:41:32 PM
Cheap imports will be a waste of money.

Most lower league and overseas players will need some time to acclimatise. If we want someone who will improve us NOW the pool is depressingly small and we're competing with other clubs. Some of the "names" are likely to be over the hill, unmotivated and stupidly expensive.

Some possible deals could be dependent on other deals. For example maybe we've lined up Tungay but that was reliant on Stoke signing the guy who failed his medical. Or Cole but only if West Ham get Keane. Or not until Grant's been replaced.

It's not easy.

It may well be best to hang on in the hope that we're strong enough and rebuild properly in the summer. We are definitely improving.

I personally think this whole 'premiership experience' thing is a load of bollox. It would be nice to get hold of a premier league striker with a good record for a cheap price, but that is not going to happen.

We need to get real and start taking more risks in the transfer market. Buying players from abroad (from reputable leagues) for half the price of a 'premier league' player who has a better reputation is a no brainer for me. Cheaper on wages, more likey to get  a decent price if they flop and potential for a large sell on fee if they are successful.

For me at the moment, we have 'premiership experience' coming out of our ears. We need something new and exciting, someone people have not seen.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on January 16, 2011, 06:26:34 PM

Especially in the Championship. We could sign two of those young lads for the price of Keane and try them. I'm talking about the likes of Graham, Shane Long, Nugent or Steve Morison. Yeah, some of them failed in the Premiership, but they are decent alternatives instead of an overpriced Keane. Obviously a bit of a gamble, but we might not have much of a choice.
There are also a few decent midfielders around: Adel Taarabt, Lewis McGugan, Kris Commons or Max Gradel. I'M pretty sure some of them could succeed at Premiership level. Yes, it's a gamble, but worth a try.

Otherwise we could still sign Jason Roberts or James Beattie....both seem to be unhappy at their respective clubs and are relatively cheap short-term alternatives.

TonyGilroy

Championship players may make the step up but not instantly. Taking a punt now for the future is fine but doesn't instantly improves us.

Seeing how devastatingly effective Kamara was against Peterborough was an object lesson in how much better a striker has to be to do it in the Prem.

Mr Fulham

Quote from: TonyGilroy on January 16, 2011, 07:22:04 PM
Championship players may make the step up but not instantly. Taking a punt now for the future is fine but doesn't instantly improves us.

You don't know that. Adam Johnson was great when he joined Citeh. Charlie Adam is fantastic. Beckford is decent for Everton, Doyle made an immediate impact when he joined Wolves last season. Or look at Roger Johnson and Scott Dann, arguably one of the League's best central defences. There are many examples.

Point is: It's sadly not Fulhams transfer policy to take gambles. We rather sign elder players with loads of experience who can help us for a season or two. We have to take gambles because we're not able to compete for players like Keane or RSC. We don't have the wage structure

Ag

If you want cheap, I'd take a flier on Jozy Altidore.  He's a hard worker, has all the physical tools and then some and is young.  If you could have Bobby and Hughes coach him on the nuances of the position, I think you'd be amazed at the result.  The immediate impact would likely be much less than what we're looking for but it would be a step up over trotting Kamara out there.

With Bob coming back, I'd be more interested in replacing AJ and hoping for the best with Zamora's health.  Ideally we'll cover both bases.