more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tom Cairney voted with the most MOM awards

Started by perry geyton, June 07, 2023, 03:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sting of the North

Quote from: General on June 10, 2023, 10:39:14 AM
Quote from: perry geyton on June 07, 2023, 03:19:05 PM5 to be precise, not bad huh for a player who's passed it with a crocked knee

Imagine if he'd of started more games

I rest my case Bongo and to all the other haters

I think quite a few of those are nostalgic voters. Some were completely merited, but one or two times even I considered voting for him (maybe I even did), on purely nostalgic grounds.. ahh, its nice to see him do well, get some game time, score a goal etc..

I don't know whether the amount he won also included cup matches either.. if they did then, whilst it's great he did well, it kinda skews the whole dynamic of how many he won.

I have no idea why there seem to be a need to try to put a negative spin on this.

Just like any vote for any player may be influenced by bias in some form. Weird way to discredit the votes for TC, in my opinion.

As for the games, those are listed in this thread and does indeed include cup games. I assume anyone is free to make their own list excluding cup games, and arbitrarily assumed nostalgia votes though.

What may be prudent to consider while trying to take credit away from TC would be how few games he actually got a decent chance to even be in the running for any man of the match awards, compared to many players.

Personally, I am just happy that he is still here, and still making a difference when given the opportunity. No need for discredits, and no need for the "I told you so" comments either.

In my opinion.

Donnie Lonegan

I think we should tell Leicester to get stuffed.
Tom Cairney is still more than capable of doing a good job for us, and if he wants to stay, Fulham should show him the same sort of loyalty he has shown Fulham.

perry geyton

Quote from: Donnie Lonegan on June 10, 2023, 02:48:06 PMI think we should tell Leicester to get stuffed.
Tom Cairney is still more than capable of doing a good job for us, and if he wants to stay, Fulham should show him the same sort of loyalty he has shown Fulham.
100%

Twig

Quote from: Donnie Lonegan on June 10, 2023, 02:48:06 PMI think we should tell Leicester to get stuffed.

Fully agree unless Leicester were to offer some insane money or an equally tempting player swop. Both of which are extremely unlikely. So yeah, basically we should tell them to take a hike.

General

Quote from: Sting of the North on June 10, 2023, 11:13:11 AM
Quote from: General on June 10, 2023, 10:39:14 AM
Quote from: perry geyton on June 07, 2023, 03:19:05 PM5 to be precise, not bad huh for a player who's passed it with a crocked knee

Imagine if he'd of started more games

I rest my case Bongo and to all the other haters

I think quite a few of those are nostalgic voters. Some were completely merited, but one or two times even I considered voting for him (maybe I even did), on purely nostalgic grounds.. ahh, its nice to see him do well, get some game time, score a goal etc..

I don't know whether the amount he won also included cup matches either.. if they did then, whilst it's great he did well, it kinda skews the whole dynamic of how many he won.

I have no idea why there seem to be a need to try to put a negative spin on this.

Just like any vote for any player may be influenced by bias in some form. Weird way to discredit the votes for TC, in my opinion.

As for the games, those are listed in this thread and does indeed include cup games. I assume anyone is free to make their own list excluding cup games, and arbitrarily assumed nostalgia votes though.

What may be prudent to consider while trying to take credit away from TC would be how few games he actually got a decent chance to even be in the running for any man of the match awards, compared to many players.

Personally, I am just happy that he is still here, and still making a difference when given the opportunity. No need for discredits, and no need for the "I told you so" comments either.

In my opinion.

You see negative, I just see honest/realistic. It's important to put the clearest perspective to it to scrutinise what he did and in what context.

The reason for this is because some are clamouring for him to get far more game time and play in the PL, something I don't think is necessary and also I don't think in the clubs best interests moving forward.

I think it's a sign though of how well Marco has managed Cairney as a player to give him games and also ones he can be motivated for and do well in.

I've noticed a clear uptick in what Cairney was doing this season, he was much sharper on the ball and more aggressive in the press and tackle and when on the ball, all things I think he needed to do to keep up with the pace in the premier league. It's also clearly something he's been working on as he's mentioned being 'sharper' in himself this season.

I'd happily have Cairney here for as long as he wants, I think he's a good link between players and club, a fan favourite and also a good player in many ways, but if we're being realistic and ambitious, his role for us, unless he improves dramatically, will most likely be off the bench. He can do a job in the premier league, but as a sub as things stand.

I liked seeing him play after AP was injured, but AP is the better player, Cairney also, after a couple of high-intensity games where I saw and thought he had markedly improved, did start to revert to type as the player we know and had seen in previous PL campaigns.

There's a thread on it and his contribution and the difference between him and Pereira on twitter.

Here it is..

General

P.s. I noticed that Cairney is getting Married to his long term partner and mother of their children this weekend with a few familiar faces in Richard Stearman, Matt Smith, BDR, Harrison Reed and Cyrus Christie amongst the guests - hope everyone involved has a fantastic time celebrating.

Sting of the North

Calling a subjective opinion realistic does not make it any less subjective. Hopefully you are aware of that.

TC clearly is a different player to Pereira. Worse at some things (press, dead ball delivery), better at others (passing, creativity, keeping the ball). It is clear what Silva has preferred in the current set up, but that includes playing to everyone's strength. That dynamic may change depending on what players will be here next season.

Personally, I don't think TC will be a regular starter, but hope I am wrong. We are so much better with the ball when he is playing (Palhinha, Reed and Pereira all sloppy in possession), so would love for Silva to find a way without sacrificing too much. Probably too much to hope for.

All in my opinion, "realistic" or not...

General

Quote from: Sting of the North on June 10, 2023, 09:34:40 PMCalling a subjective opinion realistic does not make it any less subjective. Hopefully you are aware of that.

haha. No sh*t sherlock. The difference between what others said vs what I said is that it's backed up by which games Cairney got MOTM's in, the quality of opposition, how much game time he got, video evidence (as shown) and also Marco Silva's clear preferred tactics. This isn't rocket science, it's just pretty obvious. It's a far less 'subjective opinion', when it's mainly based on observing what's happened. It's not like i'm having an opinion on the future, we're analysing things that have happened and are factual. But, thanks for the attempted lesson.

Sting of the North

An attempt that seemingly failed, I see.

But thanks for clarifying that Silva seemed to prefer Pereira, in case anyone had missed that or suggested otherwise. 

What most have said is basically that when TC played any meaningful minutes, he often had a positive impact. Do you disagree?

If someone then suggests he possibly deserved more game time, nothing you wrote really shows otherwise. It is just your subjective opinion. It is not verifiable, and thus not less subjective.

No one has claimed that TC got MOTM in other games, or that he started other games or that he got more game time so you don't need to disprove that. It just shows that Silva preferred Pereira, and that TC did well agains lower league and lower PL opposition (he also, in my opinion, did very well first game against United, and when he got on against City, for example). It doesn't show that he wouldn't be able to do well in other games, which instead is your subjective conclusion.

I think a discussion is better with some humbleness on everyone's part. It is strange to seemingly believe that everyone else is biased but one self is being objective. 

My personal take is that TC would be better suited to Reed's role, but again I think Silva values the press more than on the ball skills.

Ps
I am sure there can be shown actual evidence of a systematic problem (if there is one), but that clip is a single situation. That is only evidence of TC not pressing successfully in that particular sequence. Surely similar could easily be found on any player?

If you watched the game I am sure you noticed that several of our players struggled to get near their United opponents?

Although I agree that Pereira is better in the first press, though he tends to fade fairly early in games in my opinion.

Somerset Fulham

Whilst I think he has been managed perfectly by Marco this season and has excelled in the role he has been given, he doesn't really fit into a starting eleven in the current way we play.

I do think that this myth about his knee and him being unable to train is utter bollocks though. If he wasn't fit enough he wouldn't be at the club.