more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR July 1st 1916

Started by ron, July 01, 2023, 09:41:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ron

The Rational Fan

My understand is 19,240 British were killed on the 1st July 1916 a huge toll to protect the freedoms we all take for granted.

filham

In spite of great tragedies wars continue and to my mind they all mean that politicians have failed. We really need to introduce a punishment for the politicians that allow war s to take place.

Andy S

Sadly while humans exist on this planet there will always be wars

blingo

I doff my cap to each and every one of them and thank them for the sacrifice they made

Somerset Fulham

Yeah. Totally fair play to the poor bastards.

MisfitKid

Quote from: Andy S on July 01, 2023, 12:14:48 PMSadly while humans exist on this planet there will always be wars

Sad but true, Andy.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

Dodgin

My Great Uncle John Hill died on the 27th of July 1916. I must assume he knew this soldier as he was in the same battalion of this soldier who was posthumously awarded the VC and died the same day. My uncle's body was not recovered for two years after the battle.

For the award of the Victoria Cross
[ London Gazette, 26 October 1916 ], Delville Wood, France, 27 July 1916, Sergeant Albert Gill, 1st Bn, King's Royal Rifle Corps.

For most conspicuous bravery ( Delville Wood, France ).
The enemy made a very strong counter-attack on the right flank of the battalion, and rushed the bombing post after killing all the company bombers. Serjeant Gill at once rallied the remnants of his platoon, none of whom were skilled bombers, and reorganised his defences, a most difficult and dangerous task, the trench being very shallow and much damaged.

Soon afterwards the enemy nearly surrounded his men by creeping up through the thick undergrowth, and commenced sniping at about twenty yards range. Although it was almost certain death, Serjeant Gill stood boldly up in order to direct the fire of his men. He was killed almost at once, but not before he had shown his men where the enemy were, and thus enabled them to hold up their advance.

By his supreme devotion to duty and self-sacrifice he saved a very dangerous situation.

The widow of Albert Gill was presented with his Victoria Cross by King George V at Buckingham Palace on the 29th November 1916.

Albert Gill is buried in the Delville Wood Cemetery, Albert, France.