watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tannoy system

Started by Andy S, July 11, 2023, 09:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

I would be interested to know how good the Tannoy system is in various parts of the ground. The system is pretty poor in H6 especially if you are hard of hearing as I am. When they do interviews on the pitch they are wasting their time. It is always better when you listen at home. In his day and age the club should be catering for the various disabilities. Improving the tannoy system is just one way this could be done.
I'm sure the club have carried out tests in the week when there is nobody in the ground but it needs to be done on match days.

TheOnionBag

I am in H5 and in the most part the system is fine, the half time interviews however are a waste of time as it is almost impossible to hear what is being said by the recipient of the the forever Fulham award (unless they have worked in the media and know how to use the mic). Pre recording the award would takes away any personal touch and any spontaneity, so watching it the day after is the best bet.   

filham

It could be a poor public address system that is the hold up in the new stand. Just imagine a rusty sound system echoing through that building, could result in people throwing themselves into the river waving their expensive season tickets.

Andy S

I've heard tannoys at other grounds and they are a lot better than ours but as you say the tannoy is only as good as the guy with the mic

H4usuallysitting

I'm in H4 and it's fine.... I could semaphore the message to that lot behind me

Steven Ageroad

I'm in the JH stand, the interview takes in front of me on the centre line, can't hear a word of it. I have complained about it over many seasons but as Andy S says I think they test it during the week when the stadium is empty. The club are about to install TV screens in the JH stand because at the back of the stand you cannot see the screens at each end of the ground, I would prefer a crystal clear sound system above the screens because I've lived without the screens for all these years.

Deeping_white

From H6 - pre game it sounds fine but at half time with ambient noise from the full stands it gets lost - they need to find a way to get it louder and clearer somehow

C Block

Quote from: Steven Ageroad on July 11, 2023, 08:37:21 PMI'm in the JH stand, the interview takes in front of me on the centre line, can't hear a word of it. I have complained about it over many seasons but as Andy S says I think they test it during the week when the stadium is empty. The club are about to install TV screens in the JH stand because at the back of the stand you cannot see the screens at each end of the ground, I would prefer a crystal clear sound system above the screens because I've lived without the screens for all these years.
The idea of the screens is to let us know when V.A.R gets involved, the screens are long overdue.

f bloke

Am I alone in wanting a tannoy system that is used only to impart information.  There have been times when it has been so intrusive that it has made pre match and half time conversations difficult. Don't mind music as players come out or at the end of the game but otherwise would rather catch up with friends without the need to shout rather than listen to someone else's choice of music

Stevieboy

Quote from: f bloke on July 12, 2023, 07:06:52 AMAm I alone in wanting a tannoy system that is used only to impart information.  There have been times when it has been so intrusive that it has made pre match and half time conversations difficult. Don't mind music as players come out or at the end of the game but otherwise would rather catch up with friends without the need to shout rather than listen to someone else's choice of music

Unbelievable,  what if you are on your own??
Properly chosen and audible music adds to the overall ambience of the match day experience.....unless of course you're used to crown green bowls !! ::wine::

f bloke

Quote from: Stevieboy on July 12, 2023, 08:47:00 AM
Quote from: f bloke on July 12, 2023, 07:06:52 AMAm I alone in wanting a tannoy system that is used only to impart information.  There have been times when it has been so intrusive that it has made pre match and half time conversations difficult. Don't mind music as players come out or at the end of the game but otherwise would rather catch up with friends without the need to shout rather than listen to someone else's choice of music

Unbelievable,  what if you are on your own??
Properly chosen and audible music adds to the overall ambience of the match day experience.....unless of course you're used to crown green bowls !! ::wine::

I played crown green bowls once, my finals finished with a morning exam, went straight to pub afterwards. As was the way back them, the pub closed at 3 pm so we decided to play bowls after we were at least 7/8 pints in. Don't remember too much about it to be honest. Not played since.

If you are on your own you can read eg your phone or match day programme - if the music is background that is fine but there have been times when it has been so loud that conversation has been difficult and, for me, that's not fine. There is no non organic match day entertainment that I would take over catching up with friends or discussing eg the first half at half time. 

The Cottage has never been particularly atmospheric but the best atmospheres have always been organic. Never liked artificially created atmospheres eg goal celebrations music,  clappers, drums etc. Didn't  like the way the sound system led the promotion celebrations last season.  The fans are more than capable of deciding what songs to sing for themselves, they don't need others to choose for them.  Much preferred the more organic promotion celebrations of previous seasons.

The England Supporters band does more than anything to dampen the atmosphere at England games and has put me and others I know off going to England games.

Maybe it is just a generational thing but have a natural tendency to dislike any match day entertainment that is either too pre programmed or too artificial. I don't like being spoon fed. If it's not organic, it's not real and, in my view, if it's not real, it's not worth having. It's not just football, the artificial match day experience at Twickenham these days is much worse

Carborundum

The tannoy system in the JH stand means I can only catch about one sentence in six.  Happily I've heard enough Forever Fulham interviews to fill in the gaps.  Those days were great, the cup run / promotion was a highlight, the gaffer was good to work under, the fans were supportive and it's good to be back here at the Cottage.  Nothing wrong with any of that and if you don't like ritual, well then live football on a regular basis may not be for you.  Even with defective tannoy you can still assess what they do whilst they say it and, dare I say it, contemplate the extent they have either kept in trim or let themselves go.