News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A question to those slagging off the Khan family ...

Started by Fulham Tup North, July 21, 2023, 06:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew G

Quote from: jayffc on July 22, 2023, 01:55:57 PM
Quote from: Twig on July 22, 2023, 01:27:51 PM
Quote from: andrew G on July 22, 2023, 10:16:44 AMMy problem with the Khan's is that they do not run the club properly. For the investment we massively underachieve.

The frustration, and that is what it is, is they have a club is in a shark infested oceanl and they act as if they are going for an afternoon swim in a quiet river. They should do what MAF did and distance themselves from running the club and get top proffesionals in to run it in the same way MAF did. They should just be setting budgets and objectives. TK should be nowhere near team affairs.

That is the issue.

They should also show up occasionally,, especially when we are in a relegation dog fight or when we are presented with a trophy because that doesn't happen that often.

If they left, things could be way worse, or way better, who knows? I just thik with a bit of common sense they would be the best owners ever... but they don't seem to want to improve, or properly learn lessons.

Massively underachieve? We've just had a wonderfully successful season in the Prem. If that's massively underachieving what would you regard as adequate? 

It's bonkers

Literally just had one of the best seasons in fulham history

I guess people that say this sort of thing weren't around for grimsby away.

Again,

Took over a declining club (source: Danny Murphy and Hangelands own comments)

where a whole list of teams have been relegated and never returned - we bounced up and down while establishing the base of a team that finished 10th (and likely would have been higher if not for a minute of madness in manchester)

Experienced the joys of playing football the slavisha way, incredible undefeated run...and playoff final wins with the white wall + a record breaking season in the championship scoring for fun under Marco

And people think THIS is under achieving.  Its so entitled its wild to me. Id argue the only major* thing they did wrong in 4 years was employ Parker (who still got us promoted even if I was asleep for most of it, and so they were somewhat obliged to keep him for the prem) Alot of the other decisions in that time I could justify at the time and understand them on paper without the benefit of hindsight.

Grateful for their contribution. A shame this summer has brought a cloud over for reasons beyond their control but even then we still haven't lost any of our starting 11...yet.

Onwards!

For the ivestment they have put in we have massively underacived is to my mind correct. the three relegations (all unecessary and down to their management failures) the disasters of how they conduct transfers with every manager complaining how long it takes if it happens at all (especially poor in january when twice, a little sensible funding could have seen us survive). We have had one good season in the prem, just one since they have been here and that is because of marco...and now he is being unsuported again. That is where we are but this close season seems to be the same as the previous, and if marco goes, we will be hard put to find a manager of that quality again.

One decent season.

Oh and for the comment re grimnsby, I have been an ST holde rfor  +  years and well remeber the relegation game at swansea, going to derby, and vast numbers of pointless games away from home in ridiculous places in the freezing cold, (Blaclkpool was always closed when we played there, being at Gillingham when that poor lad fox was killed by the thugs, Bulstrode, ernie clay... to having all that nightmare turnd around by MAF rescuing us from oblivion, and seeing us win at OT and a eurpoen final praticular favourite moments... and I know amateurish management when I see it.

marco is a total genius and to be fair was allowed to lead things., up to a point,

jayffc

Quote from: andrew G on July 24, 2023, 02:46:09 PM
Quote from: andrew G on July 22, 2023, 10:16:44 AMMy problem with the Khan's is that they do not run the club properly. For the investment we massively underachieve.

The frustration, and that is what it is, is they have a club is in a shark infested oceanl and they act as if they are going for an afternoon swim in a quiet river. They should do what MAF did and distance themselves from running the club and get top proffesionals in to run it in the same way MAF did. They should just be setting budgets and objectives. TK should be nowhere near team affairs.

That is the issue.

They should also show up occasionally,, especially when we are in a relegation dog fight or when we are presented with a trophy because that doesn't happen that often.

If they left, things could be way worse, or way better, who knows? I just thik with a bit of common sense they would be the best owners ever... but they don't seem to want to improve, or properly learn lessons.

Massively underachieve? We've just had a wonderfully successful season in the Prem. If that's massively underachieving what would you regard as adequate? 

It's bonkers

Again,

where a whole list of teams have been relegated and never returned - we bounced up and down while establishing the base of a team that finished 10th (and likely would have been higher if not for a minute of madness in manchester)

Experienced the joys of playing football the slavisha way, incredible undefeated run...and playoff final wins with the white wall + a record breaking season in the championship scoring for fun under Marco

And people think THIS is under achieving.  Its so entitled its wild to me. Id argue the only major* thing they did wrong in 4 years was employ Parker (who still got us promoted even if I was asleep for most of it, and so they were somewhat obliged to keep him for the prem) Alot of the other decisions in that time I could justify at the time and understand them on paper without the benefit of hindsight.

Grateful for their contribution. A shame this summer has brought a cloud over for reasons beyond their control but even then we still haven't lost any of our starting 11...yet.

Onwards!

For the ivestment they have put in we have massively underacived is to my mind correct. the three relegations (all unecessary and down to their management failures) the disasters of how they conduct transfers with every manager complaining how long it takes if it happens at all (especially poor in january when twice, a little sensible funding could have seen us survive). We have had one good season in the prem, just one since they have been here and that is because of marco...and now he is being unsuported again. That is where we are but this close season seems to be the same as the previous, and if marco goes, we will be hard put to find a manager of that quality again.

One decent season.

Oh and for the comment re grimnsby, I have been an ST holde rfor  +  years and well remeber the relegation game at swansea, going to derby, and vast numbers of pointless games away from home in ridiculous places in the freezing cold, (Blaclkpool was always closed when we played there, being at Gillingham when that poor lad fox was killed by the thugs, Bulstrode, ernie clay... to having all that nightmare turnd around by MAF rescuing us from oblivion, and seeing us win at OT and a eurpoen final praticular favourite moments... and I know amateurish management when I see it.

marco is a total genius and to be fair was allowed to lead things., up to a point,

"Amateur management", Such over-the-top rhetoric. We literally broke records in the championship -surpassing former records set under previous chairman with Tigana (and what an era that was)

Players signed in recent years:

Leno
Robinson
Tete
Andreason
Areola
Mitro
Willian
Soloman
Wilson
Periera
Palhinha
Diop
Tosin
Zambo (went on to win serie A)
Anguissa (won Serie A with Napoli)

etc

tons of really fantastic additions to add to of course a number prior who weren't so good.
Promoted as Champions with a record-breaking goals tally under a manager THEY hired = Amatuer apparently

We've had WAY worse in our history dwelling around the 2nd and 3rd division. 1 "good" season tells the story here, if good only means the upper half of the prem then you're supporting the wrong club as the vast vast swathing majority of our time in existence we haven't been that... and this adds to what I mentioned about fans being entitled like we have some divine right to be there. It's a slog with alot of competition.

Whilst I respect Fayed massively and loved his transformation of the club- the club was on a downward spiral after Europe and the board has somewhat steadied the ship finally - where many clubs would **and HAVE ** disappeared from the prem never to return - were still here competing. if we're amateur I suppose that makes their boards utterly and entirely incompetent.

Such over-the-top rhetoric

Who selected and employed Marco and backed him with a brilliant squad they've been putting together for a couple of years? The Khans.

Whilst we've been relegated sur, We've still been promoted 3 times once as champions - that's not amateur by any stretch.
They stuck by Parker unfortunately because he scraped up via the playoffs, and it cost us - but we had all the tools in terms of recruitment under a better manager to succeed that year. We didnt and the rest is history.

Middlesborough
Oldham
Swindon
Ipswich
Charlton
Bolton
Barnsley
QPR
Blackburn Rovers
Wilmbledon
Sheffield Wednesday
Coventry
Bradford
Derby
Birmingham
Reading
Portsmouth
Wigan
Stoke

All teams who fell and never made it back.
By all means say it's been a mixed bag over the years but its completely disingenuous to only credit them with "one good season".

Al-Fayed

Over the last couple of years I think the Khans have done very well. We've made some great signings, appointed an excellent manager, built the new Riverside, play some attractive football and finished 10th in the Prem.

FFC1987

Quote from: jayffc on July 24, 2023, 03:10:03 PM

That is the issue.

It's bonkers

Again,

Onwards!

One decent season.

"Amateur management", Such over-the-top rhetoric. We literally broke records in the championship -surpassing former records set under previous chairman with Tigana (and what an era that was)

Leno
Robinson
Tete
Andreason
Areola
Mitro
Willian
Soloman
Wilson
Periera
Palhinha
Diop
Tosin

etc

tons of really fantastic additions to add to of course a number prior who weren't so good.
Promoted as Champions with a record-breaking goals tally under a manager THEY hired = Amatuer apparently

We've had WAY worse in our history dwelling around the 2nd and 3rd division. 1 "good" season tells the story here, if good only means the upper half of the prem then you're supporting the wrong club as the vast vast swathing majority of our time in existence we haven't been that... and this adds to what I mentioned about fans being entitled like we have some divine right to be there. It's a slog with alot of competition.

Whilst I respect Fayed massively and loved his transformation of the club- the club was on a downward spiral after Europe and the board has somewhat steadied the ship finally - where many clubs would **and HAVE ** disappeared from the prem never to return - were still here competing. if we're amateur I suppose that makes their boards utterly and entirely incompetent.

Who selected and employed Marco and backed him with a brilliant squad they've been putting together for a couple of years? The Khans.

Whilst we've been relegated sur, We've still been promoted 3 times once as champions - that's not amateur by any stretch.
They stuck by Parker unfortunately because he scraped up via the playoffs, and it cost us - but we had all the tools in terms of recruitment under a better manager to succeed that year. We didnt and the rest is history.

Middlesborough
Oldham
Swindon
Ipswich
Charlton
Bolton
Barnsley
QPR
Blackburn Rovers
Wilmbledon
Sheffield Wednesday
Coventry
Bradford
Derby
Birmingham
Reading
Portsmouth
Wigan
Stoke

By all means say it's been a mixed bag over the years but its completely disingenuous to only credit them with "one good season".

I've always gone on the mantra, you're only as good as your last game/month/season/year so, whilst critically, I think the Khans have made some pretty disastrous errors culminating in relegations, and almost going to league one under their ownership, they've made some remarkably good decisions in the last few seasons to completely counteract any previous criticisms. if learning on the job, gets us to where we are now, and last season, I'll take that trade.

I'm sure things still aren't perfect, but show me a club that are run perfectly. (not specifically replying to you Jay, there's obviously a lot you guys are discussing but that's my two pence) 

jayffc

Quote from: FFC1987 on July 24, 2023, 03:35:54 PM
Quote from: jayffc on July 24, 2023, 03:10:03 PM

That is the issue.

It's bonkers

Again,

Onwards!

One decent season.

Leno
Robinson
Tete
Andreason
Areola
Mitro
Willian
Soloman
Wilson
Periera
Palhinha
Diop
Tosin

etc

Middlesborough
Oldham
Swindon
Ipswich
Charlton
Bolton
Barnsley
QPR
Blackburn Rovers
Wilmbledon
Sheffield Wednesday
Coventry
Bradford
Derby
Birmingham
Reading
Portsmouth
Wigan
Stoke

I've always gone on the mantra, you're only as good as your last game/month/season/year so, whilst critically, I think the Khans have made some pretty disastrous errors culminating in relegations, and almost going to league one under their ownership, they've made some remarkably good decisions in the last few seasons to completely counteract any previous criticisms. if learning on the job, gets us to where we are now, and last season, I'll take that trade.

I'm sure things still aren't perfect, but show me a club that are run perfectly. (not specifically replying to you Jay, there's obviously a lot you guys are discussing but that's my two pence) 

A much more reasonable stance,
fair criticism is one thing, as you say, no one is perfect and mistakes were made along the way of course, but ignoring all the good stuff that's gone on the last 3 or 4 years and ignoring the context of the takeover and of all the teams that didn't manage to stay competitive following relegation is just completely disingenuous tbh.

No club is run perfectly, no business is run perfectly, over a decade most companies and clubs experience highs and lows, some more extreme than others. Glad to be back in the top flight and hopefully have enough quality to compete again this year

HamsterWheel

I find it rather petty the continual often snidey critique of Tony Khan. He's not a kid, he's 40. His wrestling empire he's created in just 5 years has a $1.2bn TV deal, and is now worth a whole heap of change, with figures quoted in the hundreds of millions. 

As for the analytics, he's owner and chairman of TruMedia Networks, a Boston-based engineering firm specializing in analytics for the athletic sports industry. Khan acquired TruMedia Networks in 2015, and under his ownership, the company has expanded its sports analytics engineering services, with clients including ESPN, the National Football League, Zebra Technologies, and over 60 percent of all Major League Baseball clubs. Not too shabby.

No idea why anyone would waste their breath having a pop at him, he'll be the full owner of the Club one day.

As for not devoting himself 100% to his Fulham activities, presumably we'd turn down Elon as an owner on the basis he's too busy with Tesla, Twitter, his space thing etc.....

Lighthouse

Promised to keep us at Craven Cottage despite its obvious drawbacks with size and building possibilities. Built a new super stand and despite setbacks got us back into the Prem three times. Despite the problems with the rules of finance. Have kept an interest and always backed players and managers.

The only criticism is that they put their trust in people who were supposed to know about football who didn't always know what they were doing. Despite numerous big sums of money being offered for players, unlike other owners they only seem to do what is right for the club.

I find the criticism baffling and always have done. Without the owners were would have ended up?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

jayffc

Quote from: HamsterWheel on July 24, 2023, 04:05:34 PMI find it rather petty the continual often snidey critique of Tony Khan. He's not a kid, he's 40. His wrestling empire he's created in just 5 years has a $1.2bn TV deal, and is now worth a whole heap of change, with figures quoted in the hundreds of millions. 

As for the analytics, he's owner and chairman of TruMedia Networks, a Boston-based engineering firm specializing in analytics for the athletic sports industry. Khan acquired TruMedia Networks in 2015, and under his ownership, the company has expanded its sports analytics engineering services, with clients including ESPN, the National Football League, Zebra Technologies, and over 60 percent of all Major League Baseball clubs. Not too shabby.

No idea why anyone would waste their breath having a pop at him, he'll be the full owner of the Club one day.

As for not devoting himself 100% to his Fulham activities, presumably we'd turn down Elon as an owner on the basis he's too busy with Tesla, Twitter, his space thing etc.....

pfft incompetent amateur , something something nepotism. "if I had a billion dollar dad" etc...

Say the people statistically likely (not necessarily all of them) to have never come close to successfully running their own business and likely haven't participated in even mid-level management at one and have no ideas the intricacies of complex business management and negotiation. Back-seat driving at its finest.

Plenty of people had successful parents and went on to achieve absolutely diddly squat, can't level that at TK even if he is a bit of a "goofy" character at times.

copthornemike

As a club Fulham FC are fortunate to have the Khans as owners.
Not perfect by any means, being based over in the US is not an advantage, and they have made poor decisions.
However they have been prepared to invest in the club (e.g. Cottage safe and improved, training facilities improved) without resorting to debt / loans, unlike a number of 'showier' owners and importantly can afford to do so.
Since they took it over the club has never felt that we in trouble financially (FFP is another matter) or living above its means, which is not something many other clubs can say.
Perfect - no. Good owners and guardians to date - yes.

Craven Mad

Quote from: perry geyton on July 22, 2023, 02:38:40 PM
Quote from: Craven Mad on July 21, 2023, 06:32:15 PMDon't have a huge issue with Shahid, I just think his son shouldn't have anything to do with serious things.
Oh you don't have a HUGE issue with Shahid
How considerate of you

And Tony did such a shocking job last season correct

Yes it must be all their fault now that we had a cracking season and now the Saudi's are after our manager and striker and 100
Million west ham are after our holding midfielder that I'd say was the premier league signing of the season

And let's also not forget our brand new stadium

Or maybe it simply just comes down to the fact that they are American ?!?!?!

What an odd response!

Daddy Tony won't love you just cos you lick his boots :slap:

FWIW, there's a middle ground between simping for the Khan's and hating on them, and I find myself in that middle ground.

Twig

Quote from: copthornemike on July 24, 2023, 07:24:30 PMAs a club Fulham FC are fortunate to have the Khans as owners.
Not perfect by any means, being based over in the US is not an advantage, and they have made poor decisions.
However they have been prepared to invest in the club (e.g. Cottage safe and improved, training facilities improved) without resorting to debt / loans, unlike a number of 'showier' owners and importantly can afford to do so.
Since they took it over the club has never felt that we in trouble financially (FFP is another matter) or living above its means, which is not something many other clubs can say.
Perfect - no. Good owners and guardians to date - yes.

Nicely put.

Logicalman

For me, like others having lived through the trials and tribulations from our 60's relegation through the wilderness years (with some bright times I must say) and the Clay debacle, We have been very fortunate in finding some diamonds for custodians of this great club.

That is not to say they haven't made mistakes, any of them, but all I expect from a custodian is that they will support the club fiscally, will not bring the club into disrepute, and have the intent to make us better overall.

Simplistic as that expectation is, the Khans have shown they want that for the club. They want to be successful, and want only the best for FFC, and that is all I ask of them.

As for the people that make that happen, and how they spend their money, that is for them to decide, I am no businessman, I coldn't do what they do, and wouldn't want to either.

I dislike comparing the different custodians, they each bring good, and some bad, things to the table, in recent decades MaF will stand out as the one that brought us back from the wilderness years, he gave us the hope we desperately needed, he did a fantastic job, and he handed those reigns off to the Khans, who, for me, were very green to begin with, but have grown into their positions, and I feel we, as a club, get stronger each season, nothwithstanding the setbacks we encounter.

As for the OP's question: Money might bring success, but I honestly feel that we need to preserve the soul of the club, and that takes some caring by the owner, which, currently, we have.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Chutney

The latest release of ticket prices perfectly demonstrate how out of touch the khan's can be, pure greed. £105 to watch a game of football, for members.
C O Y W

White Knight

Quote from: Craven Mad on July 24, 2023, 07:38:56 PM
Quote from: perry geyton on July 22, 2023, 02:38:40 PM
Quote from: Craven Mad on July 21, 2023, 06:32:15 PMDon't have a huge issue with Shahid, I just think his son shouldn't have anything to do with serious things.
Oh you don't have a HUGE issue with Shahid
How considerate of you

And Tony did such a shocking job last season correct

Yes it must be all their fault now that we had a cracking season and now the Saudi's are after our manager and striker and 100
Million west ham are after our holding midfielder that I'd say was the premier league signing of the season

And let's also not forget our brand new stadium

Or maybe it simply just comes down to the fact that they are American ?!?!?!

What an odd response!

Daddy Tony won't love you just cos you lick his boots :slap:

FWIW, there's a middle ground between simping for the Khan's and hating on them, and I find myself in that middle ground.

Craven, i feel you have hit the nail on the head in one sentence and one word " simping ".

Cobh Fulham Fan

I think they slag off the Khans simply because they Can.

bill taylors apprentice

Isn't it normal for all fans to have a moan about things going on at their club while others don't see an issue and vice versa?

Some of the complaining is bonkers but that's the internet for you.

I have criticised them on here in the past and continue to dislike some of the things the club does but boy oh boy, are we lucky to have them.

General

I slag the Khan's off but fundamentally do appreciate them as owners. My only, or main issues, with them are - they took an awfully long time to suss out how to run a club, when they could've brought people in to help and speed up that process. Secondly, they're very slow on transfers, though I appreciate they do seem to have got the knack for bringing in the right type of players, it takes them an age to sort - that's a gripe of mine and also most fans as well as managers under their tenure. The only other gripe I have is that I think Tony runs his mouth off a bit too much, or has done so historically and that's a bad thing for the image of the club and he also seems to value and spend more time focused on the wrestling side of things. I'm sure he thinks he can do all simultaneously, but i'd rather have him, or whoever solely focused on Fulham and where and how we can improve as a club in whichever ways.