watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Birmingham walk away from Keane deal

Started by FFCcravencottage, January 18, 2011, 06:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFCcravencottage

That must mean it's the end of the road for our interest as well then.

http://sport.uk.msn.com/football/news/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=155879238

Birmingham City have confirmed they have ended their interest in Robbie Keane and will seek out other striking options in January.

Keane had emerged as a key January target for Blues boss Alex McLeish and they were given permission to speak to the Republic of Ireland international after tabling a bid that matched Tottenham's valuation.

Talks took place, but Birmingham walked away from the table without a deal being agreed - citing cost as the reason why the move broke down.

Blues' acting chairman Peter Pannu held a meeting with McLeish and scout Paul Montgomery and they came to the conclusion that the deal for Keane did not make financial sense.

"I met with Alex and Paul today to discuss some new targets - names that we will not be mentioning at this moment in time - as we have decided that the signing of Keane would not be in the best financial interests of the club," Pannu told the club's official website.

"Everyone knows he is a tremendous player but having considered the overall package (one which certainly wasn't unfair on the part of his representatives to ask for given his talent and experience), Keane's age and the length of contract we felt that financially he wasn't the best option available.

"This is unfortunate because Keane is a class act but supporters can rest assured we are considering other options and will pursue them where financially viable."

mrska

Perhaps this will help us..  Keane/Spurs is going to have to realise that he isn't the spring chicken he once was and lower their expectations..

TonyGilroy

He won't be at Tottenham on 1st February. Someone will pay what it takes or he or his club will modify their demands.

I've no doubt that Birmingham, Fulham and other suitors are looking at other options and whether they look again at Keane depends on what transpires with those.

BalDrick

From the off, this has had the look of a saga that will run and run until shortly before the window closes. The player wants to stay in London; regardless of what you read anywhere between now and the end of the month, I'm sure he'll end up at either FFC or WHU. Quite possibly for a lot less money than Brum seemed to want to pay.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Burt

I suspect that he will end up with WHU.

In signing Bridge they have show they are prepared to pay over-inflated transfer fees and meet ridiculous wage demands.

FatFreddysCat

I thought he'd demanded even more wages than his current wages, let him rot in the Spurs ressies.

BalDrick

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on January 18, 2011, 09:39:55 AM
I thought he'd demanded even more wages than his current wages, let him rot in the Spurs ressies.

My understanding is he wants to stay in London and thus basically quoted Brum beyond silly wages so they pulled out of the deal.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Matt

He'll probably go to Sunderland if they sell Bent to Villa.
Oh you lucky people, we're the best team in the land!

White Noise

Birmingham City: The finances which killed the Robbie Keane deal

by Colin Tattum, Birmingham Mail

Jan 18 2011

Comments (12)Recommend (3)

Robbie Keane

Birmingham City pulled the plug on Robbie Keane's transfer as it would have cost around £18 million.

The total financial package, factoring in wages of around £65,000-a-week over the length of a likely contract, was too much for the board.

Despite agreeing a fee with Spurs of £4 million, rising to £6 million, Blues got cold feet.

Such an outlay on a near 31-year-old was deemed 'not in the best financial interests of the club', said acting chairman Peter Pannu.

And coming when Villa - who are also in Premier League relegation trouble and struggling for goals - showed such ambition by launching a stunning £18 million move for Sunderland's Darren Bent, the contrast between the clubs' approach to danger couldn't be starker and the effect potentially demoralising.

Blues board, though, would counter that they do simply not want to jeopardise the club's future at a time when resources are stretched, with parent company Birmingham International Holdings actively seeking to raise extra funds to help with Carson Yeung's long term plan of stability and growth.

When the news broke that Blues had reached accord with Spurs on Friday night, club sources were quick to stress that nothing was cut and dried at all.

The board wanted to consider carefully all facets of the deal, and were concerned from the outset about splashing out so much, even though they then managed to knock Spurs asking price down from £9 million.

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/birmingham-city-fc/birmingham-city-fc-news/2011/01/18/birmingham-city-the-finances-which-killed-the-robbie-keane-deal-97319-28003593/#ixzz1BNj7FcJJ

Burt

Fair play to the Brum board... An unusal outbreak of common sense.