watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We're losing support 😪

Started by C Block, August 21, 2023, 03:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScalleysDad

At the end of last season a return train ticket to Southampton from Exeter and getting into the game was cheaper than a ticket for Palace at home in the Putney End. I think for some, and we are dotted about all over the place, the less favoured away games might be it for the foreseeable.

C Block

Quote from: LC on August 21, 2023, 05:20:33 PM
Quote from: Twig on August 21, 2023, 04:29:27 PM
Quote from: LC on August 21, 2023, 03:43:36 PMOut of interest, if we end up developing the Hammersmith end, would everyone support a two tier setup? Bottom tier will be standing, which will obviously have cheaper pricing, and second tier seating.

Why would save standing have cheaper prices? Don't get me wrong I'm all for it, however you don't get any increase in capacity from safe standing so I can't see why it would be any cheaper.

It would definitely increase capacity, and standing tickets are typically cheaper
There is no such thing as standing at Premier League grounds. There is though "rail seating " which is a seat and a safe standing place, I.e no additional capacity.

C Block

Quote from: Sammyffc on August 21, 2023, 04:28:30 PMsounds more like football fans than Fulham fans tbh
£420 for the 4 to get in to Fulham or £120 for the 4 to get in to QPR .

LC

Quote from: C Block on August 21, 2023, 08:26:58 PM
Quote from: LC on August 21, 2023, 03:43:36 PMOut of interest, if we end up developing the Hammersmith end, would everyone support a two tier setup? Bottom tier will be standing, which will obviously have cheaper pricing, and second tier seating.

Why would save standing have cheaper prices? Don't get me wrong I'm all for it, however you don't get any increase in capacity from safe standing so I can't see why it would be any cheaper.

It would definitely increase capacity, and standing tickets are typically cheaper
There is no such thing as standing at Premier League grounds. There is though "rail seating " which is a seat and a safe standing place, I.e no additional capacity.

From what I've read online they are allowing standing in the Premier League again proving they pass safety criteria. I'll try and read some more but looks like it would increase capacity

SP

Amazes me anyone would consider paying £100 to see FFC v Luton or Burnley.

King_Crud

Quote from: King_Crud on August 21, 2023, 04:19:05 PMmyself, a former season ticket holder, will only consider taking myself and my 6yo son to cup games now, as I can't afford to go to regular games. My son has pinned his colours to Fulham, but we will attend lower league games instead due to price and availablity

And further to this, for his 7th birthday my boy wants a Fulham shirt with his name on the back, plus the shorts.  Shirt £55. Name £17. Shorts £35. And the club have the hide to charge £7 postage on top

General

Quote from: C Block on August 21, 2023, 03:17:44 PMA friend of mine and his two American mates come to watch Fulham games whenever they can, they came to four or five games last season,
They were all available for football at the weekend but because of the prices at Craven Cottage the three of them ended up at QPR watching them play Ipswich, don't you think it's a little sad that supporters are being turned away because of prohibitive match day prices 😢

I know fans who've had seasons for decades who have admitted to being priced out of the club and are heartbroken by it and feeling very disillusioned with football and the club in particular. 40 years+ of supporting fulham and through the ups and downs and no acknowledgement at all.

It's happening a lot and has been a clear theme under the khan's ownership of people being charged more and more to the point they can no longer attend games or justify it financially.

Very sad state of affairs.

I worry what will happen to the club long term if things go south and the khan's leave, there'll be very little established fan base from which to rebuild.

A genuine concern.

The family feel is also being eroded.

General

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 21, 2023, 03:57:51 PMWhat is sad is that the days of getting a call from a mate on Friday and asking if I was going to Fulham and could he come along are long gone. Going to work in my first job and I could afford train and travel and tickets and a fast food meal. It is now for the rich and well off and business.

I remember my whole family, my Sister, My Dad, My Mum, Me, a friend, a mate all deciding to go to a game. Now it is just not possible.

Yes we will lose the fan and just have the steadfast, well off supporter and also lots of company tickets as perks for days out. Life moves on. Glad I enjoyed the good times. A struggling team that was a drug for the fan has lost its magic even with success.

Agreed. And even then there's a clear line.

Sadly it's become an increasingly significant trend where the big boom industries are now the creative industries and tickets for entertainment are going through the roof and companies are creating more experiential events to cater to and charge higher fees.

General

Quote from: King_Crud on August 21, 2023, 10:20:37 PM
Quote from: King_Crud on August 21, 2023, 04:19:05 PMmyself, a former season ticket holder, will only consider taking myself and my 6yo son to cup games now, as I can't afford to go to regular games. My son has pinned his colours to Fulham, but we will attend lower league games instead due to price and availablity

And further to this, for his 7th birthday my boy wants a Fulham shirt with his name on the back, plus the shorts.  Shirt £55. Name £17. Shorts £35. And the club have the hide to charge £7 postage on top

Think attendances for lower league matches are on the increase quite significantly for many of the reasons you mentioned and similarly many of the other have said on this thread.

Sadly though those lower league clubs are also now being bought out by international owners for profits.

Lazybones

Quote from: Southcoastffc on August 21, 2023, 03:27:55 PMSo say some.  Seat uptake will prove it over the season. Far too early to tell.  (And many will be pleased if so-called tourists don't attend.)
I don't quite understand these mixed feelings towards so-called tourists. Aren't tourists where new fans come from? 

I was listening to a podcast the other day which claimed all UK football clubs are having trouble attracting the next generation into their match-going supporter bases. Apparently the younger folk (late teens, early twenties) prefer to stay home and stream the games.

I was once a tourist 25 years ago walking up to games from SW11. No streaming back then :)  I recall getting a friendly welcome, although I suppose an Australian accent is a curiosity of sorts. I hope tourists still feel welcome.

General

Quote from: Lazybones on August 22, 2023, 08:38:11 AM
Quote from: Southcoastffc on August 21, 2023, 03:27:55 PMSo say some.  Seat uptake will prove it over the season. Far too early to tell.  (And many will be pleased if so-called tourists don't attend.)
I don't quite understand these mixed feelings towards so-called tourists. Aren't tourists where new fans come from? 

I was listening to a podcast the other day which claimed all UK football clubs are having trouble attracting the next generation into their supporter bases. Apparently the younger folk (late teens, early twenties) prefer to stay home and stream the games.

I was once a tourist 25 years ago walking up to games from SW11. No streaming back then :)  I recall getting a friendly welcome, although I suppose an Australian accent is a curiosity of sorts. I hope tourists still feel welcome.

It's a fine balance presumably?

Tourists are great here and there but when the entire club seems to cater more exclusively just to them as a target audience and prices go up to reflect that and we end up pricing out a core part of our supporter base then it becomes an issue.

Tourists can become fans, of course, but realistically speaking they'll attend the odd game if that, whereas a UK based fan would be far more likely to turn up regularly to games..

I would say 'and spend money on food and drink and merchandise', but with the prices and quality of the food and drink in particular these days, I'd be lying.

jarv

I returned from living in America for over 30 years to Scotland.  Part of my hope was to visit the cottage a few times per year. (instead of maybe twice during my trips home). However, the train from Glasgow, trains to London (staying with friend outside of London), it all adds up to the question if it is worth it.

I can afford it but it is more about value for money. Try asking a friend to join you at the silly prices.

I did buy the lunch/drinks package which was 140 pounds and tyreated 2 friends. That was well worth it but what is the price for that now? I must check.

Everyone has their limit and 100 quid for a football match is beyond mine on principal.

I will try some away games up north but we don't do away wins.

Twig

Quote from: LC on August 21, 2023, 08:43:41 PM
Quote from: C Block on August 21, 2023, 08:26:58 PM

From what I've read online they are allowing standing in the Premier League again proving they pass safety criteria. I'll try and read some more but looks like it would increase capacity

It really does not provide any capacity increase whatsoever. Safe standing is actually rail seating and that is what has been approved (not free standing).  I attended a FST meeting where this was discussed and that point was crystal clear. In addition it was stated that FFC do not  currently have a suitable area for safe standing so there are no plans to introduce it. It's a shame because I strongly believe in giving supporters a choice.

General

Quote from: jarv on August 22, 2023, 08:57:32 AMI returned from living in America for over 30 years to Scotland.  Part of my hope was to visit the cottage a few times per year. (instead of maybe twice during my trips home). However, the train from Glasgow, trains to London (staying with friend outside of London), it all adds up to the question if it is worth it.

I can afford it but it is more about value for money. Try asking a friend to join you at the silly prices.

I did buy the lunch/drinks package which was 140 pounds and tyreated 2 friends. That was well worth it but what is the price for that now? I must check.

Everyone has their limit and 100 quid for a football match is beyond mine on principal.

I will try some away games up north but we don't do away wins.

Very much my point of view.

£100 for 90mins of football in principle, whilst affordable, simply isn't value for money. That doesn't include any additional costs like travel, snacks, programmes etc.

My comparison is flights for a weekend anywhere on skyscanner..

You can get a return trip to most places, two or three in fact for the price of a game of football.

If going solo travelling you could almost definitely get flights and accommodation for £100-120 for a two nights and three days trip.

Currently if you book in advance you can get return flights to parts of Poland for £17, Spain £18, Italy and Germany for £21 (Milan £21 and Venice £25), Lisbon for £34.

Etc..

Then the additional costs are food and drinks.. £20-£40 at fulham, maybe £10-15 if you're watching what you spend per person.

That can cover a meal, light snack and some drinks in a few places.

There's very little in it, especially when you consider you're spending a weekend away, seeing a new culture, getting out of the country, trying decent food (not cheap burgers and hotdogs).

Just a quick look at the prices of beer in Europe and you get the following..

Serbia: 85p a pint
Poland: £1.25
Czech Republic: 71p
Portugal 2 euros
Germany 2.5 euros
Croatia: £2.25

H4usuallysitting

I was listening to a podcast the other day which claimed all UK football clubs are having trouble attracting the next generation into their match-going supporter bases. Apparently the younger folk (late teens, early twenties) prefer to stay home and stream the games.

No, these are proper tourist's....they fly in for a few days, watch any game, sometimes 3 game's in 3 days...then fly out again.... I used to pick them up all the time

Lazybones

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on August 22, 2023, 10:18:17 AM

No, these are proper tourist's....they fly in for a few days, watch any game, sometimes 3 game's in 3 days...then fly out again.... I used to pick them up all the time
Ah, OK. Well, that's something different.  I thought the word was used as a disparaging term for those people somehow not (yet) committed enough, "neutrals" as it were.

alfie

Quote from: Lazybones on August 22, 2023, 11:24:34 AM

Ah, OK. Well, that's something different.  I thought the word was used as a disparaging term for those people somehow not (yet) committed enough, "neutrals" as it were.
I'm not in a position to be able to go much now, one or two games every now and then, does that mean I am no longer a supporter just a tourist now.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Southcoastffc

Just to clarify,  I was not intending to criticise anyone who attends games, whether regularly, occasionally or as a one off.  Like learner drivers, we all have to start somewhere,  sometime.  As I said, the claim that we are losing support will be proven, or otherwise,  over time.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Tman77

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 21, 2023, 03:57:51 PMWhat is sad is that the days of getting a call from a mate on Friday and asking if I was going to Fulham and could he come along are long gone. Going to work in my first job and I could afford train and travel and tickets and a fast food meal. It is now for the rich and well off and business.

I remember my whole family, my Sister, My Dad, My Mum, Me, a friend, a mate all deciding to go to a game. Now it is just not possible.

Yes we will lose the fan and just have the steadfast, well off supporter and also lots of company tickets as perks for days out. Life moves on. Glad I enjoyed the good times. A struggling team that was a drug for the fan has lost its magic even with success.

Yeah i've brought dozens of non fulham fans to games over the years. All happy to come when we were in the lower leagues even. Pretty much no one ever interested anymore - its just too expensive for an impulse day out.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: alfie on August 22, 2023, 11:33:24 AM
Quote from: Lazybones on August 22, 2023, 11:24:34 AM

I'm not in a position to be able to go much now, one or two games every now and then, does that mean I am no longer a supporter just a tourist now.

Yes i am afraid so, you are no longer one of us.
It has been confirmed officially that you are now very well known as Alfie the tourist.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.